• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft

Atrocious pop in basically confirmed by all media sources.

Optional hard drive strikes again.

I didn't think it would end up being a big deal way back when, but that is clearly not the case.

What a disappointment.

Sushen

I haven't made my mind 100 percent, yet, still. And, it's the first time that I'm even giving a serious chance to ps3 version when it comes to multiplatform games. However, the fact that I have 4 times more friends with 360 than ps3, and the multiplayer feature seem overuling my other concerns on 360 version...damn HDD-less 360 and lousy dvd-rom. Tough choice...for me.

Draft said:
Atrocious pop in basically confirmed by all media sources.

Optional hard drive strikes again.

I didn't think it would end up being a big deal way back when, but that is clearly not the case.

What a disappointment.

Atrocious? What exactly are you basing this on?

MoeB

Sushen said:
I haven't made my mind 100 percent, yet, still. And, it's the first time that I'm even giving a serious chance to ps3 version when it comes to multiplatform games. However, the fact that I have 4 times more friends with 360 than ps3, and the multiplayer feature seem overuling my other concerns on 360 version...damn HDD-less 360 and lousy dvd-rom. Tough choice...for me.
Those friends with 360s are not real friends. You know it's true.

BenjaminBirdie said:
No almost about it. Zero Pop-In For PS3!!

Yeah, isn't this great? PS3 owners don't get pop-in but 360 owners get hardly noticeable, undistracting pop-in! Buy a PS3 and Uncharted today!

un-t.jpg

Uncharted5.jpg

uncharted_drake_fortune_sc1.jpg

when your shooting, do you have to press R2 fairly in for it to register? ....or is it something like Turok, Army of Two, or The Darkness, where the slightest touch of R2 will register a shot?

Thanks again

Sushen said:

DVD-Rom has no effect on this game as you play it, only on its development.

Unless you burned the DVD-Rom yourself. Then you're in for some chop.

DuckRacer

For whatever reason Kotaku changed their wording around...
Pop-In & Loading
With a huge, seamless streaming world, data must be constantly read from the disc. The PS3 version, with its required HDD install, loads missions a couple seconds faster and decreases pop-in. The Xbox 360 version can suffer from some very noticeable texture loading, as things like trees, vehicles and building signs will regularly pop-in as one tools about town. It can be distracting, especially during high speed chases, and the PS3 version isn't entirely immune from it, but it's not a game killing problem.
:|

The DLC better be frikin amazing if 360 owners are going to have to put up with texture and models popping in throughout the game. Or else there are going to be some very pissed off fans.

Loudninja

AgentOtaku said:
when your shooting, do you have to press R2 fairly in for it to register? ....or is it something like Turok, Army of Two, or The Darkness, where the slightest touch of R2 will register a shot?

Thanks again

You can use RI and L1 you know?

J-Rzez

Crushed said:
Is this game like a freaking Rorschach test or something? Nobody can fucking agree on the differences.

From the one's I've read, it's seems generally in line that there's less pop in on the PS3 version and less loading times. Other sites said the PS3 version looked smoother too, Kotaku is the first to say the 360 has better AA. Some said the PS3 version is sharper. Others said the 360 version is more colorful.

I guess it's just nitpicking at the further end of the spectrum that the media is trying to push a winner. Usually it's a 360 port that they champion. Bit this time it seems the PS3 version is going to get the nod. Unless they pull the DLC to try and put the 360 version ahead.

Duck said:
For whatever reason Kotaku changed their wording around...

:|

:lol

What, you expected Kotaku to glow about the PS3 and it's version? Apparently they found a way to not give the edge to the PS3.

Treo360

Lion Heart said:
Come on guys. All of you who come in here saying "i just played it on 360, its great so stfu"...you havent played it on the PS3 so relatively speaking, you still dont know what the differences are. (and vice versa)

But it does well to quite those who have not played it on any version. People like to hammer on the minutia and fail to see everything else. Does pop-in happen? Yes. Does it distract from the game? No, not at all, but this being GAF we don't actually play games now do we? No. We have threads like these from people who have agendas/biases no matter how big or small.

The problems lies with the fact that there a differences in what certain sites are saying, and that none can really agree on anything, coupled with the fanboys here who don't have both systems we get shit like this. I mean you were never going to get it for the 360/PS3 so then why are you proclaiming one is better than the other? In the end it never really mattered.

/rant

Enjoy the game, it's fun.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to start a thread about Gaming and Married life: How GTA:IV is ruining it edition:lol

PuppetMaster said:
The DLC better be frikin amazing if 360 owners are going to have to put up with texture and models popping in throughout the game. Or else there are going to be some very pissed off fans.

Good thing there isn't anything major to suffer from, but believe what you will.

Draft said:
Actual game effecting pop in. Slamming head first into invisible "bollards."

Wretched.

If you're talking about the Zapruder GIF, it was a pirated and poorly burned copy. It will not exist on a retail copy. The only pop in is tree leaves, billboards, cars in the distance. Crackdown, basically.

Now, you can feel free to sit there and tell me that Crackdown was rendered unplayable because of this, but know that it will render your argument pretty undefendable, as most everyone played the living shit out of it, regardless.

Draft

nofi said:
Well, there's NONE of that on PS3.
Listen man, put aside your super scope six for a moment and step back from the system war. This is not about that.

This is about a damn detachable hdd forcing me to play an inferior version of GTA4. This is about me. And for what? The Arcade? The Arcade SKU? How I hate it. How I hate its demographic.

I'm going to go find someone buying an Arcade and push them down a flight of stairs.

MMaRsu

Draft said:

Wretched.

I've read nor seen anything like this on the 360 version.

Man some people in this thread are crazy I'm staying the fuck outta here

nofi

Draft said:
Listen man, put aside your super scope six for a moment and step back from the system war. This is not about that.

This is about a damn detachable hdd forcing me to play an inferior version of GTA4. This is about me. And for what? The Arcade? The Arcade SKU? How I hate it. How I hate its demographic.

I'm going to go find someone buying an Arcade and push them down a flight of stairs.

Hey, you said there was game breaking pop-in. You didn't specify which damned console.

Forget it, I'm off to play some more GTA IV. I tried to help...

Luckyman said:
The framerate seems dissapointing. Not anywhere 30fps smooth. More like sub 20 when driving.

Again, live streams say otherwise. The framerate looked great, especially compared to the PS2 GTAs.

MMaRsu

Luckyman said:
The framerate seems dissapointing. Not anywhere 30fps smooth. More like sub 20 when driving.

You have the game then?

GT.com footage or any other footage I have seen disconfirms this.

So.......shut it

JB1981

I'd prefer pop-in to a iffy framerate.

All the vids I've seen of the 360 version have been very smooth. For those who have had some time with it, how is the framerate exactly?

Just to clarify..there is pop in on ps3.

When does Gayspot do theirs? Im sure they will favour the 360, or atleast deem them equal.

nofi

MMaRsu said:
You have the game then?

GT.com footage or any other footage I have seen disconfirms this.

So.......shut it

It's not perfectly smooth by any stretch (again, PS3 version) and drops from 30 to (I guess) mid 20s. It's fine, though.

JB1981

nofi said:
It's not perfectly smooth by any stretch (again, PS3 version) and drops from 30 to (I guess) mid 20s. It's fine, though.
how is it on ps3 overall? are you satisfied with how it looks, runs?

Kotaku at it again. Changing their own articles, having opposite position from every reliable source, just to play to their agenda.

nofi

JB1981 said:
how is it on ps3 overall? are you satisfied with how it looks, runs?

I fucking love it.

I've played it pretty much non-stop since yesterday lunch. It's the best game I've played for years. Runs fine, looks gorgeous.

It's just not perfect, that's all.

Sandman7

speculawyer said:
Have we had any bans in this thread yet?

Disappointingly, no. But I am optimistic - the night is still young and the game still has to come out.

The irony of me posting here is that I have close to no interest in the game. I feel like the kid in the playground that goads two people into fighting just to see the violence.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Ynos Yrros said:
Kotaku at it again. Changing their own articles, having opposite position from every reliable source, just to play to their agenda.

It was obvious that it was a typo by the syntax of the original sentence.

The original went like this:-

"...and the PS3 version is entirely immune from it, but it's not a game killing problem."
Obvious really unless your fanboy googles are too tight.

Glad to see that pop-in isn't a huge problem on both console versions.

J-Rzez

Draft said:

Wretched.

I'm sure it's not that bad. But it may affect others playing more that people think. Some people may really pay attention to detail that much and it'll drive them crazy. Just like how some people get sick from motion blur and stuff I guess.

Time to start saving for a PS3 Draft, in case this trend starts happening more often, which it very much could considering how the PS3 is picking up world-wide.

Yeah, isn't this great? PS3 owners don't get pop-in but 360 owners get hardly noticeable, undistracting pop-in! Buy a PS3 and Uncharted today!

Pictures, seeing, hearing, and playing that game is bliss. Still my game of the year 07, and the benchmark for many aspects in games to me.

Treo360

JB1981 said:

All the vids I've seen of the 360 version have been very smooth. For those who have had some time with it, how is the framerate exactly?

Smooth like the shit they say you exude :p

Is there some hitching? Yes, but it's so rare that you really do have to look for it, but don't let that stop you from enjoying the game. If you weren't so far south of me in Jersey (Brick area right? I'm in Bayonne) I would have shown you myself.

danwarb

Ynos Yrros said:
You think the PS3 version is "entirely immune" from pop in?

f@luS

More than a member.
JB1981 said:

the GT review shows many framerates issues (but quite small) and once , some tearing...but it may be the video and not the game
BUt the textures....so much morphin' thats weird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom