• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Ynos Yrros said:
Kotaku at it again. Changing their own articles, having opposite position from every reliable source, just to play to their agenda.
You have got to be kidding, right? It was a typo.

There is no fucking "agenda." Jesus.

Linkzg said:
I am not ready to doubt that maybe those could be true, but its coming from Kotaku. (I'm not saying they are bias towards one system or another, just that they are not a very reliable source or anyone you should trust in this situation).

I don't know what that means, but there's no bias on my end for one version to be better than the other. I played the PS3 version for 35 hours, the 360 version for about 7 or 8, both on the same television, side-by-side. Those were my impressions, but given that some things conflict with what other outlets have said is as puzzling to me as it may be to anyone else.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't trust Kotaku for reviews or anything like that anyway, like others have said they're playing their cards.

I'll use 1up/IGN/GS/GT instead as good sources:p

EDIT: And yeah the color thing is probably subjective.

szaromir

Banned
So PS3 version has 4xAA? Interesting.

Gametrailers review is 11 minutes of the 360 footage and popin didn't bother me one bit. Sadly, framerate isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be.:/

IGN Insider points:

- really are visually identical as far as effects go...like motion blur

- Driving sensitivity "feels" better on PS3 analog ...(I personally like hearing this as I know what he's talking about. I'm a big fan of the SIXAXIS's analogs)

- Depression of L2 trigger takes a bit more getting used to than 360 LT for free-aim....(but then again, you can turn this off entirely, which I plan to do)

- Once again, PS3 version seems to have an edge in both AA, pop-in, and overall loadtimes

- motion control for Cars, Bike, Helo, darts, bowling, car jump "aftertouch" ....seems best implementation is for Helo and worst is for Bike

- Supposedly there is a weatlh of TV contrast/brightness/tweaker settings built into the game

- Basically buy the version your friends are playing if your gonna be playing alotta MP

- no mention of different control configurations =/

and that's all for a brief summary

dfyb

Banned
JB1981 said:
why isn't the media playing the ps3 version if it's better?
yes, before we had any hands on reports, this is the argument you guys used to try and prove the 360 version would run better. but somehow it looks like you still think that's a valid argument...

Clinton514

AgentOtaku said:
IGN Insider points:

- Driving sensitivity "feels" better on PS3 analog ...(I personally like hearing this as I'm a big fan of the SIXAXIS's analogs)

- Depression of L2 trigger takes a bit more getting used to than 360 LT for free-aim....(but then again, you can turn this off entirely, which I plan to do)

- Once again, PS3 version seems to have an edge in both AA, pop-in, and overall loadtimes

- motion control for Cars, Bike, Helo, darts, bowling, car jump "aftertouch" ....seems best implementation is for Helo and worst is for Bike

- Supposedly there is a weatlh of TV contrast/brightness/tweaker settings built into the game

- Basically buy the version your friends are playing if your gonna be playing alotta MP

Thanks for the summary.
:D

they said it felt better on the PS3

have you played both versions? if not then you wouldn't now how they control

If the control configuration is the same on either system, then wouldn't it just come down to preference in controller?

szaromir said:
So PS3 version has 4xAA? Interesting.

Gametrailers review is 11 minutes of the 360 footage and popin didn't bother me one bit. Sadly, framerate isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be.:/
Were you watching the flash player, because when I downloaded the WMV HD, the framerate was flawless?

Do we have any GAF impressions of the 360 version, I want to know how bad the pop-in actually is?

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Ether_Snake said:
I don't trust Kotaku for reviews or anything like that anyway, like others have said they're playing their cards.

I have no idea what this means, but whatever fantasies have been cooked up about this, I'd love to hear. :)

AgentOtaku said:
IGN Insider points:

- Driving sensitivity "feels" better on PS3 analog ...(I personally like hearing this as I know what he's talking about. I'm a big fan of the SIXAXIS's analogs)

thanks for the info. I wish I could see it, even in low res...damn you, IGN.

and can someone else confirm you can only switch aiming from the R2/L2 triggers to R1/L1?

MMaRsu

Well there you have it, alot of reviews that say that the Ps3 version is better.

So buy that if you have a Ps3 or both consoles or if more people you know are playing on that system.

Can we shut this trainwreck of a thread down now? Is there really any need for this constant bickering back and forth between different console owners?

Who cares if it has a little more fps's on 360, or a little better AA on Ps3, or less pop in, or an install time whatever, just know that in a few days you WILL be playing an amazing game.

MMaRsu said:
Who cares if it has a little more fps's on 360, or a little better AA on Ps3, or less pop in, or an install time whatever, just know that in a few days you WILL be playing an amazing game.

yes, but on which console I will be playing it on is what I still am trying to figure out. I am sure I will be playing one of the two best games this year no matter which console I will play it on. Call me greedy, but I would like to play the best version of this game I can.

Doc Evils

AgentOtaku said:
IGN Insider points:

cool thanks.

USC-fan

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Well there you have it, alot of reviews that say that the Ps3 version is better.

So buy that if you have a Ps3 or both consoles or if more people you know are playing on that system.

Can we shut this trainwreck of a thread down now? Is there really any need for this constant bickering back and forth between different console owners?

Why don't you just stop checking the thread.

Chinner

Banned
im a huge gta fan, after reading these reviews i need to play the definite gta version (which is the ps3 version) however the main problem is that i dont have a ps3, but a x360 but with like 20 games. what do you think are the chances i'll be able to trade my x360 + games for the special edition ps3 and gta4

MMaRsu

Linkzg said:
yes, but on which console I will be playing it on is what I still am trying to figure out. I am sure I will be playing one of the two best games this year no matter which console I will play it on. Call me greedy, but I would like to play the best version of this game I can.

Sure I'll sum it up then.

Ps3 seems to have the overall tech advantage. ( better AA and less pop in due to installation )

360 is not bad from a technical standpoint either. ( better FPS sometimes, IGN said colors were better in their podcast )

--------------------------

Are you interested in MP? Get the version which suits your needs and which most of your friends will be playing.

Are you interested in playing +20 hours of new gameplay when the DLC comes out? Get the 360 version.

I mean, that should be clear enough for anyone right? Hopefully this will help :)

Kbsmoker said:
Why don't you just stop checking the thread.

Why don't you stop telling me what to do.

Orlics

Linkzg said:

Play the game on the system more of your real-life friends are getting it on, and on which controller you prefer. Graphical differences are negligible.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
MMaRsu said:

It's a trainwreck because it's comparing the two versions of a multiplatform game? Look, face it, it's a legitimate question that has not been definitively answered (just look at the contradictory framerate claims), and this thread serves the very useful purpose of keeping the comparisons out of the rest of the GTA discussions. Are you trying to act like some sort of official thread finisher by bolding your post? Wow.

GAF is not just about circle jerk official threads where everyone prances around merrily talking about how much they love the game they're all playing. Get a thicker skin.

MoeB

MMaRsu said:

You should make a thread for people who don't like this thread and then post in it and then have fun and stuff :D.

szaromir said:
Yeah, the flash player. I'll try downloading the wmv file later, then.
The flash player they use has a tendency to drop frames. The wmv file was pretty smooth.

Has anyone on GAF commented about the 360 versions supposed pop-in? How bad is it?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Why do people want this thread shut down? Do you really think the constant bickering will stop if we do? Don't you realize these twenty or so pages would be in the official thread or review threads?

Stop your bitching and get the hell out if you don't like it. Spend more time in the official thread, like we all should. :D

Anyways, updated the thread with Gamesradar and Kotaku. Will watch the IGN Insider vid and Gametrailers vid now...

Orlics said:
Play the game on the system more of your real-life friends are getting it on, and on which controller you prefer. Graphical differences are negligible.

None of my real life friends are into gaming other than Wii and Guitar Hero stuff. I am about even with controller preference (granted I can use R1/L1 to shoot/aim). This is why it is so difficult for me, I am too in the middle about this whole thing, I just need a nudge in one direction or the other.

MMaRsu said:
Are you interested in playing +20 hours of new gameplay when the DLC comes out? Get the 360 version.

I mean, that should be clear enough for anyone right? Hopefully this will help :)

The only thing is the DLC which kind of makes me want to go for the 360 version. Most of the fun of GTA games for me is the times when you just fuck about in the city, so more missions wouldent do that much for me. Plus I am somewhat hoping the DLC will be included in the eventual PC version which I will rebuy.

f@luS

More than a member.
MMaRsu said:
Sure I'll sum it up then.

Ps3 seems to have the overall tech advantage. ( better AA and less pop in due to installation )

360 is not bad from a technical standpoint either. ( better FPS sometimes, IGN said colors
Why do you say Better fps sometiems for 360? Only kotaku said that, many other said it was better framerate wise on ps3.... i think

MMaRsu

EviLore said:
It's a trainwreck because it's comparing the two versions of a multiplatform game? Look, face it, it's a legitimate question that has not been definitively answered (just look at the contradictory framerate claims), and this thread serves the very useful purpose of keeping the comparisons out of the rest of the GTA discussions. Are you trying to act like some sort of official thread finisher by bolding your post? Wow.

GAF is not just about circle jerk official threads where everyone prances around merrily talking about how much they love the game they're all playing. Get a thicker skin.

Hey I'm just saying, I know that this is a multiplat game and people want to know which version is better. I'm just saying there is no need for bashing the other system.

Too much damn fanboys in this thread. I'm not saying people cant or shouldn't compare versions, I'm just saying cut the fanboy shit and start looking at the facts. Ask people who have played it what they thought and start listening to them.

But eh, maybe I'm just not the type for this kind of thread since I usually don't understand the fanboyism in all of the threads that do this.

Chinner said:
im a huge gta fan, after reading these reviews i need to play the definite gta version (which is the ps3 version) however the main problem is that i dont have a ps3, but a x360 but with like 20 games. what do you think are the chances i'll be able to trade my x360 + games for the special edition ps3 and gta4

That seems a little extreme man. Wow

Orlics

Chinner said:

You have to be joking.

mintylurb

Ether_Snake said:
Some have said framerate was better on PS3, others on 360. So I guess they are basically equal if no one is sure, it was probably just a question of ending up in different circumstances.
So, which site has mentioned the 360 version sporting better framerate besides kotaku? I would rather get the version with stabler framerate if both versions look about the same.

Barrett2

chubigans said:
Why do people want this thread shut down? Do you really think the constant bickering will stop if we do? Don't you realize these twenty or so pages would be in the official thread or review threads?

Stop your bitching and get the hell out if you don't like it. Spend more time in the official thread, like we all should. :D

Anyways, updated the thread with Gamesradar and Kotaku. Will watch the IGN Insider vid and Gametrailers vid now...

Agreed. The last thing I want is this war spilling over to other threads. Keep the gunfire confined to this neighborhood, IMO.

mintylurb said:
So, which site has mentioned the 360 version sporting better framerate besides kotaku? I would rather get the version with stabler framerate if both versions look about the same.
if its something trivial like 3-5 frames or an occasional dip into low 20s....then I'd still take less pop-in

Treo360

Geek said:
You have got to be kidding, right? It was a typo.

There is no fucking "agenda." Jesus.

I don't know what that means, but there's no bias on my end for one version to be better than the other. I played the PS3 version for 35 hours, the 360 version for about 7 or 8, both on the same television, side-by-side. Those were my impressions, but given that some things conflict with what other outlets have said is as puzzling to me as it may be to anyone else.

Sadly GAF doesn't care for that

MoeB

mintylurb said:
I've read most of the reviews and none of them say that the 360 version has the better frame rate. I think people are confusing framerate with slow loading textures, pop-in.

Loudninja

mintylurb said:

No one else.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I heard the PC version was better than both of them. Im just saying. Me personally I am buying the DS version for the touch screen.

MoeB

Ether_Snake said:

I'll use 1up/IGN/GS/GT instead as good sources:p

EDIT: And yeah the color thing is probably subjective.
What cards? I'd like to smoke what you're smoking. Unless if by cards you meant page views otherwise you're nuts.

Ptaaty

TheDrowningMan said:
Maybe it really could come down to the condition of the console it's being played on and how the reviewer's TV settings are.

Well given how the 360 uses the HDD cache and what effect it has on games, plus the DVD rom condition contributing, I would not be suprised at all if people have slightly different experiences just on difft 360s.

Remember the differences in Gears and Bioshock? some people had texture popin that could go on for almost a minute. I have seen Forza 2 have hitches and even a missing road surface due to someones disk drive. Then how can we forget oblivion?

Some 360 owners were complaining of huge loading times, then loss of certain dropped armor, stutters and loads. Turned out clearing the cache on the HDD made a huge difference.

Sounds odd to say but not all 360s are exactly the same in how they play games, chalk it up to more shatty MS hardware if you will but there is actual noticable differences. Both on the HDD side and DVD side, and each have been demonstrated to cause different loading, popin and framerate hitches. Hell even my friends Rock Band will have a little jump in the framerate during a song...mine never does.

Also, there are plenty of reasons to hate the Arcade/Core...but that isn't stopping HDD installs. 360 games already use the HDD cache routinely (of course only when a HDD is attached), and as the install is optional in nature on PS3 it could be on 360 as well. This has more do to with MS position on this type of thing than anything.

Ptaaty said:
Well given how the 360 uses the HDD cache and what effect it has on games, plus the DVD rom condition contributing, I would not be suprised at all if people have slightly different experiences just on difft 360s.

Remember the differences in Gears and Bioshock? some people had texture popin that could go on for almost a minute. I have seen Forza 2 have hitches and even a missing road surface due to someones disk drive. Then how can we forget oblivion?

Some 360 owners were complaining of huge loading times, then loss of certain dropped armor, stutters and loads. Turned out clearing the cache on the HDD made a huge difference.

Sounds odd to say but not all 360s are exactly the same in how they play games, chalk it up to more shatty MS hardware if you will but there is actual noticable differences. Both on the HDD side and DVD side, and each have been demonstrated to cause different loading, popin and framerate hitches. Hell even my friends Rock Band will have a little jump in the framerate during a song...mine never does.

concured....just look at the recent mess with the 360 version of Bully
It ran excellent on my system (which is a Falcon), but crashed for difference people constantly...typically those with older 360s

MMaRsu said:

And yet you enjoy and defend Ariexv's retarded one-sided chart (ot whatever that crap was that he posted in every GTA thread) where most options suggest to buy the X360 version... Hmmmmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom