• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.
OverHeat said:
So many personal attack in this thread.....

I don't think my response was a personal attack. Just pointing out that someone who would go out of his way to tell me he had no interest in my opinion wasn't really someone that it was worth me paying attention to.

Aggelos

Jeseus said:
1205150004013.gif

Jesus man, I was reading thoroughly the posts and I saw this...:lol
Oh Jesus....:lol:lol

That jumping dog has to be a Kotaku editor/journalist.....

OverHeat

« generous god »
BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't think my response was a personal attack. Just pointing out that someone who would go out of his way to tell me he had no interest in my opinion wasn't really someone that it was worth me paying attention to.

I was not pointing out anyone in particular.

Ptaaty

a Master Ninja said:
Could different Xbox 360 hardware revisions be creating different gameplay experiences?

You may remember the notable technical shortcoming the 360 version of Burnout Paradise compared to the PS3 version was it would briefly hitch-up when you hit a "streaming zone" for loading another chunk of the city. In a patch released this week it was supposed to be fixed. For some, the patch did exactly what it was supposed to, on other people's machines it somehow made the streaming issues worse. Criterion took down the patch and is trying to find a solution.

Is there a history of different hardware revisions resulting in differing game performance? With all else being equal for what is going on with the software, is it possible that a game like GTAIV could perform slightly different on a near-launch 360, a Zephyr 360, and a Falcon 360? Different drives, different CPUs, etc.

Very not likely the CPUs or the chips, but this was the type of comment I had made a few pages back.

There is a very real difference in a couple things:
1. DVD drives...they aren't all the same. Some seek time differences, ability to cleanly read the disk (there have been disks that work perfect on one 360 but have issues on another). I am not sure as to the validity but there have also been rumors of some 360 DVD drives with higher actual speeds than others (speculation on last point).
2. The HDD cache condition. I would expect the 120GB owners to have a leg up on speed just following how every other HDD works...but besides that depending on how much of the game is cached and how it is cached (depends on how you are playing it) makes a rather large difference as well.
3. Something else....this may be a combo of factors 1&2 or something very slightly different in timing/busses/chips but even when I am not aware of loading occuring there are other slight variations. The most obvious is on my friends system and Rock band vs my own. He has a very noticable hitch every few songs not present on mine.

These type of things tend to create for mixed reports, esp contentious on nitpicking crossplatform games like GTAIV.

Given how these things usually turnout, a technical analysis will come out at some point and prove something along the lines of "360 version uses technically superior form of AA with alpha blends" or "PS3 version uses 2bits more for color computation" or "PS3 version actually at 690p"....or a patch comes out that allows installs for 360 version, or both get a patch for "vibrant or natural" color settings meaning the color comments get thrown out.

It just seems all a bit crazy.

andrewfee said:
The Facts:
Many sources state that the PS3 version has smoother edges than the 360 one.

Many other people playing the game and some of the comparisons state that the PS3 version has smoother edges (or that it looks ‘soft’) but has quite a few ‘jaggies’ (aliasing) or flicker:

Some sites have said that the 360 version looks sharper:
Conclusion:
There's a good chance the PS3 version is rendering below 1280x720.

I'm also wondering if most people playing on the 360 are using 20gb drives – the 120gb drives in the Elite are faster, so perhaps those of us that own them are going to see less pop-in, assuming it's making use of the HDD cache?
The facts point to it.

andrewfee said:
The Facts:
Many sources state that the PS3 version has smoother edges than the 360 one.

Many other people playing the game and some of the comparisons state that the PS3 version has smoother edges (or that it looks ‘soft’) but has quite a few ‘jaggies’ (aliasing) or flicker:

Some sites have said that the 360 version looks sharper:http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/audio/article/869/869564/GTA IV Podcast.mp3
00:43:30

“On the 360 side, you know, I thought at least that it looked brighter and I thought the colours were better.”
“It looked a little sharper too, in the resolution, to me.”
“Yeah… uh, it's a trade-off, but I would say performance is just a little bit better on the PS3, uh, so it would have been nice if the 360 could actually use the hard drive the way the PS3 could”
Conclusion:

There's a good chance the PS3 version is rendering below 1280x720.

I'm also wondering if most people playing on the 360 are using 20gb drives – the 120gb drives in the Elite are faster, so perhaps those of us that own them are going to see less pop-in, assuming it's making use of the HDD cache?
The facts point to it.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Pug said:
you should understand all this nit picking che from your Forza experience!

Let's face it, fanboyism is ridicule-worthy and retarded, but it's also entertaining and the ultimate form of hobby worship.

It's cool when people give enough of a shit to nitpick, Forza included. I didn't see anyone nitpicking anything between platforms in the NFS: ProStreet thread. Just using that as an example -- not hating on the game. :)

Son of Godzilla said:
I think in game soundtrack means that it'd show up as a radio station. Like it does on GTASA iirc. Also PGR3(4?) and such. Yes I'm purposely omitting DOAX2. I didn't play that game. I swear.

Well, since GTA:SA was an Xbox1 game, the only way it could support CS was to integrate it into the game.

As far as Saints Row and PGR are concerned, those are the exceptions to the rule. 90% of games support CS simply through the guide. There are a few games that "break" the rules and don't control the volume during cutscenes and such. The question is whether or not GTA4 addresses guide-based CS properly. If so, then the answer to "Does it support CS" is "YES". If it works but does not respect Cut-scenes, then the answer is still "YES" but "with reservations". If it doesn't work at all then that's a "NO".

We need to find out, I guess.

h3ro

chespace said:
...I didn't see anyone nitpicking anything between platforms in the NFS: ProStreet thread. Just using that as an example -- not hating on the game. :)

You don't have to say a word, I'll say it for you... the game fucking sucked.

Gametrailers hit the nail on the head bigtime.

"GTA4 isn't so much a design, but a set of tools."

The set of tools in GTA4 can be reworked and added to in so many different ways to make so many new and cool experiences.

Which is why I'm excited about the potential for what will be added with the DLC.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I'm going to assume you can do custom soundtracks in the 360 version. Is this correct?

If so, I'm going to compile my playlist right now!

chespace said:
I'm going to assume you can do custom soundtracks in the 360 version. Is this correct?

it seems like the same custom soundtracks found in other games in that it basically just plays music over everything.

chespace said:

Yes.

Linkzg said:
it seems like the same custom soundtracks found in other games in that it basically just plays music over everything.

Except for ambient noise, ambient dialogue, ambient sound effects, gunshots, passing cars.

But yeah, everything else.

CowboyAstronaut said:
Which is why I'm excited about the potential for what will be added with the DLC.

Seriously. I'm absolutely dreading the moment when I realise I've done everything there is to do in the single player. Sure the multiplayer will deliver for <amount of time until next GTA> but I love the characters, I love the design and I want as much as I can get of it!

CowboyAstronaut said:
Gametrailers hit the nail on the head bigtime.

"GTA4 isn't so much a design, but a set of tools."

The set of tools in GTA4 can be reworked and added to in so many different ways to make so many new and cool experiences.

Well, Free For All mode is a perfect erector set of gaming. Here's controls, gameplay, and an environment. Put it together.

I imagine there will be a list of user created game types that will become very popular to play, where you can only really do it in FFA mode and everyone just agrees to "play by the rules" of the game type.

Linkzg said:

Wait so cst will drown out dialogue and sound fx? That's not the case for GTA IV is it or just other games?

Truespeed

Insane Metal said:
Wow, Kotaku´s impressions are actually the opposite from every other´s so far...

To call what Kotaku did a 'review' would be an insult to people who actually do it for a profession. The extent of this person's journalistic abilities ends at looking for gaming news and posting them on their blog site. In other words, he's a bot.

I'm really unsure of which version to buy. I want to get the PS3 version because it lacks the amount of glitches, but the 360 version has achievements (yes, I suck), DLC, and more of my friends to play with.

Shit. This is the first game that I've ever had to make such a choice with- it's really pissing me off.

KZObsessed

alterego said:
So from the OP the breakdown so far:

PS3 - IGN, EGM, 1UP, GamesRadar, GameReactor, Gamespy
X360 - Kotaku

Kotaku also stated the PS3 version was technically superior:

If this were a personal decision, I'd have chosen the PlayStation 3 edition, mostly based on my preference for the DualShock controller and the performance edge.

That's from the final thoughts/summary.

http://kotaku.com/384422/which-version-of-gta-iv-should-you-buy-we-compare-the-ps3-and-360-versions

Ploid 3.0

polyh3dron said:
Has this 360 footage gif been posted yet??

http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08170/29zbk3d922.gif[/IMG]

Nope, that's brand new.

sorry, it's been posted. Pirated game most likely, or a 360 about to break. Could also be a problem with the dvd drive = 360 about to break all the same.

LowParry

UncleGuito said:
I'm really unsure of which version to buy. I want to get the PS3 version because it lacks the amount of glitches, but the 360 version has achievements (yes, I suck), DLC, and more of my friends to play with.

Shit.

Make some new friends through the PS3 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom