• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Angelus_

Banned
This thread needs one huge gigantic BAD ASS gif to break it down for all the people who wonder in and ask wtf is going on....

2-3.gif

Linkzg said:
Are people trying to argue that less pop-in will sell the game more on PS3? because I don't think it will. I am still deciding which version to buy because I already own both consoles.

and for those who played the game or read every single article out there, dose classic mode on PS3 make it lock on only? can you make it so L1 is free aim and R1 is shoot?

that's the whole point of this thread isn't it? i mean why even bother comparing unless you think it makes so sort of difference to someone buying a console for the game.

the funniest thing about this (and most other GAF debates) is that this is preaching to the choir for all but maybe 1 in 1000 people on here.

Mrbob

Supposedly GTA4 PS3 has classic mode where you can use L1 to aim and R1 to shoot, but I don't know if you can still free aim in classic mode.

Angelus said:
This thread needs one huge gigantic BAD ASS gif to break it down for all the people who wonder in and ask wtf is going on....

I swear to Christ if this spoils one fucking thing I am going to go fucking Pegasus all over this place.

FAMILIES.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Angelus said:

This thread definitely needs a 5MB GIF. Good goin'.

SeaOfMadness said:
that's the whole point of this thread isn't it? i mean why even bother comparing unless you think it makes so sort of difference to someone buying a console for the game.

the funniest thing about this (and most other GAF debates) is that this is preaching to the choir for all but maybe 1 in 1000 people on here.

It seems there are serveral people in this thread (like myself) who never decided which version to buy, now the new information is helping them make a choice.

and I actually ment to say sell more PS3s, not the game on PS3.

le.phat

CcrooK said:
Hrmmm. Hrmmm. Shit. I don't know what version to get. My PS3 is getting some MGO love now and will get more love in June. Haven't bought a game for my 360 in a very long time. It's just been COD4 and Gears that gets played with a little side of Puzzle Fighter. Damn. Hard choice here. Very hard choice.

no it really isnt. if you have alot of friends on live, get the 360 version. if you have alot of friends on psn and/or care mostly for the singelplayer, get tripple version. really now.

LowParry

UncleGuito said:
Same here. I'm sitting here staring at the checkout screen for my order, but I'm still not sure which version to get.

I suppose the way to look at it is, who do you play with more? Does the "exclusive" DLC be something you'll pick up later on? My list is bigger on the 360 and I've had a lot of people say they will be picking this up on the 360. I hate to neglect one system but hells, my wife plays the PS3 more and I'm not sure if she'll play this one or not. Maybe I'll go with the 360 version. Heh. I guess I should be thankful my wife doesn't care to much for this game. Bring up Soul Calibur IV and I'm in trouble. (Meaning, we're getting both version of the LE. That's $160 right now. Oiy).

Edit: Oh shit, another thing. How much is the install? My 360 HDD is like on its last 4 gig space. Retarded FFXI install.

Dot50Cal

Banned
So, time to stir up some shit again :lol

I've been playing a review copy thats loaded onto my buddys XDK Hard Drive, but even with this, We still get pop up. Its not just minor stuff either, entire buildings do this, so do benches and other obstacles. I can't imagine what it'll be like running off a disc. Heres a gif:

Animation1.gif

Mrbob

Linkzg said:
yes, but is it free aim or just lock-on with it. Again, just them using the term classic mode causes all kinds of problems. "classic" games used the lock-on, so yeah.

Exactly.

Classic mode doesn't mean much if it is just lock on. I want my free aim.

Tobor

BenjaminBirdie said:
Hey, Geek. Can you confirm whether or not Custom Soundtracks run over cutscenes?

I really hope he says no. I have my awesome 80's megamix playlist ready to go in iTunes.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I'm getting it for 360 but it doesn't surprise me that it runs a bit smoother on PS3. Having a hard drive in every system was going to pay off eventually, it might as well be for a game of this scale. I'm just glad they put the effort into both versions, a lot of developers these days completely mail it in on everything that is not the main platform.

_Angelus_

Banned
Geek said:
This thread definitely needs a 5MB GIF. Good goin'.

Oh well please by all means, we need more shit being flung instead.
:lol

I'll cut it down so it doesn't get in your way of debating though,sugar.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dot50Cal said:

I've been playing a review copy thats loaded onto my buddys XDK Hard Drive, but even with this, We still get pop up. Its not just minor stuff either, entire buildings do this, so do benches and other obstacles. I can't imagine what it'll be like running off a disc. Heres a gif:

Animation1.gif

Gah! That's odd since it's running off the HDD...

Jtwo said:
It would seem the differences come from the fact that each version is very polished and optimized on either console. And the PS3 is a slightly more capable machine than the 360 so it's really a not surprising.

this

and it's true regardless of what we want to believe the PS3 is from what I have seen/played a more capable machine that has simply been playing catchup.....That's ok though my fellow xbots, it's allright if the 360 doesnt always shine as brightly.

Doc Evils

Dot50Cal said:

damn the building just appears like a ghost. D:

when will you get the ps3 version?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So is the PS3 version native 720p or not?

I'm sure the pixel counters at B3D will soon find out.

(and if the PS3 is less then 720p, meltdown...)

mabuza

Banned
Dot50Cal said:

Animation1.gif
yuk, my head is hurting.

mabuza

Banned
cyberheater said:
So is the PS3 version native 720p or not?

I'm sure the pixel counters at B3D will soon find out.

(and if the PS3 is less then 720p, meltdown...)
:lol :lol :lol the title of this thread is so apt.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Angelus said:
I'll cut it down so it doesn't get in your way of debating though,sugar.

Thanks, sweetcheeks.
flirt.gif

BenjaminBirdie said:
Hey, Geek. Can you confirm whether or not Custom Soundtracks run over cutscenes?
Yeah, custom soundtracks continue to play when you take phone calls or watch cut scenes. Sorry!

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
So can PS3 owners who have upgraded their HDD to 7200rpm/16MB cache drives expect to see even more of a performance boost?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
IGN's Head2Head basically restated everything already known.

-PS3 has better aliasing, can't really tell unless you're viewing both at the same time
-360 has more vibrant colors, there's a bunch of sliders that can drastically change how it appears anyway
-To lock on or freeaim is easier on the 360 due to the trigger, GTA4 is a massive game so you'll get used to it on the PS3 anyway, plus you can disable the lock on
-SIXAXIS works well on helicopter, bad on motorcycle, alright on boat...you have the option to select which things the control can apply to, or disable altogether
-Bottom line: Get it for whatever console your friends are getting it on, differences are so minimal anyway, yadda yadda yadda.

Pop up and framerate aren't mentioned, but the two videos looked so similar anyway that it's a pretty moot point.

M3wThr33

Banned
MrHicks said:
so the x360 version has been the LEAD platform but it runs better on ps3?
thats unusual is it not?
"Lead" platform is basically the one that you are more concerned with. It just means more attention gets paid to it. That does NOT necessarily mean it will always perform better.

Mrbob

Tobor said:
:lol at the "pop in will destroy the experience!!" nonsense.

Meh. That animated gif is PS2 level bad pop in with a building fading in and out at a close distance. It does ruin the experience for me. Key word being me. I don't mind things in the far distance my eyes can't catch up too but up close is a big no no. If it doesn't bother you than more power to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom