• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Choke on the Magic said:
Wait so cst will drown out dialogue and sound fx? That's not the case for GTA IV is it or just other games?

no, its like other games where it the 360 automatically turns down the music option and just plays your music over it. Other noises are still there, but it integrated into the game. Like, an example is difference of custom music in PGR2 vs 3.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
BenjaminBirdie said:
Yes.

Except for ambient noise, ambient dialogue, ambient sound effects, gunshots, passing cars.

But yeah, everything else.

Fucking sweet. I didn't really play much of the PC versions of GTA so I never really had a GTA experience where I could play dictate my own soundtrack. Plus, GTA never has any music when you're not in your car, so it will be nice to walk around Central Park at dusk in the rain with some mellow Album Leaf or Satie playing just to see the sights. :)

watership

polyh3dron said:
Has this 360 footage gif been posted yet??

29zbk3d922.gif

Flock to this gif, fanboys. Like flies to shit.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Well, since GTA:SA was an Xbox1 game, the only way it could support CS was to integrate it into the game.

As far as Saints Row and PGR are concerned, those are the exceptions to the rule. 90% of games support CS simply through the guide. There are a few games that "break" the rules and don't control the volume during cutscenes and such. The question is whether or not GTA4 addresses guide-based CS properly. If so, then the answer to "Does it support CS" is "YES". If it works but does not respect Cut-scenes, then the answer is still "YES" but "with reservations". If it doesn't work at all then that's a "NO".

We need to find out, I guess.

I read on another forum that when listening to music through the guide on GTA4, the music doesn't stop when cutscenes or phone conversations happen. So I guess the answer is "no" on both platforms. :(

SpudBud

So how big of a visual difference is it between the two versions? If it's minor I'll just get the 360 so I can play with my buds.

h3ro said:
This thread is freaking awesome. I love you GAF... back to MGO!

Damn you Konami for releasing the beta on my weekend to work! Is it as sweet as I'm hoping?

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yep. The only x-factor is how it plays over cutscenes, which is currently TBD.

as long as it doesn't drown the cutscenes out it shouldn't be a big deal though.

Synless

SpudBud said:
So how big of a visual difference is it between the two versions? If it's minor I'll just get the 360 so I can play with my buds.
From what I've read so far it's minor. I guess it depends on how anal you are about your graphics.

SpudBud said:
I'm in the same boat and now that the gif I posted has been debunked I'm just going to keep my 360 preorder.

_leech_ said:
Add some GAFers!
Feel free to add me if you want. PSN is UncleGuito.

The lure of achievement points in the 360 version is so strong. I don't know why, but it's still a major factor in which version I'll buy. If I buy the PS3 version, hopefully it will help to end this absurd obsession.

Choke on the Magic said:
Damn you Konami for releasing the beta on my weekend to work! Is it as sweet as I'm hoping?

as long as it doesn't drown the cutscenes out it shouldn't be a big deal though.

Nah. I don't think anything would be as bad as Dead Rising, ever again.

But it will definitely be the first thing I check, if no one else has by the time I get the game.

fortified_concept said:
Are you surprised?

Btw did teamxbox just say there are better quality textures on PS3? :lol

And around we go again where will we stop? Nobody knows :D

It's obvious the teamxbox reviewer tried to take a shot at the ps3 version for not having achievements and attempting to use that as something major he believes the 360 version has over the ps3 version.

2 things wrong with that.

#1 Not everybody cares so greatly about the achievements. In fact, most people I know don't care for them at all.

#2 In the process of trying to take a shot at the PS3 version he inadvertently took the real shot at the 360 version of the game by suggesting that the 360 version doesn't have textures comparable to those in the PS3 version, which isn't the case at all. There are times where the 360 version looks superior in that aspect and then there are times when the ps3 version looks superior in that aspect, but many more times than not, they look exactly the same.

h3ro

Choke on the Magic said:

Let me put it this way... I've never had so much fun getting my ass handed to me in a game in a long long time... :D

Also, the GAF clan is the most active clan in the entire Beta! The second GAF clan is in the top ten... GAF has no life confirmed!

OK, sorry for the diversion, back to the Texchurr Warz!!!

I'm also going to join in with what is being said everywhere else.

I DO believe that GTA4 is the best game I've ever played. It's really that good and I'm more of a jrpg fanatic than anything.

lockload, even if the ps3 version wasn't 720p it doesn't change the fact that the game looks downright incredible.

The resolution of a game doesn't make it any more or less entertaining.

Synless

lockload said:
Has the PS3 version been confirmed to be 720p native?
I was wondering this as well

Kinan said:
so thats the last hope for many, eh? :)
You mean for all the haters? I'm just wondering in general. I haven't seen it mentioned. I'm ps3 version anyways due to friends getting it on that system.

are people really expecting small differences between the 2 versions of the game to influence somone's purchase decision for what console to get with it?

obviously, anyone who already has a ps3 or 360 will get the version for that console.

so the only way this is even an issue is if you are buying a ps3 or 360 just for this game. and even then, it's small differences for one game.

bottom line, debate it all you want. the reality is this makes zero difference to the other 99.9% of the video game buying public.

Loudninja

SeaOfMadness said:
are people really expecting small differences between the 2 versions of the game to influence somone's purchase decision for what console to get with it?

obviously, anyone who already has a ps3 or 360 will get the version for that console.

so the only way this is even an issue is if you are buying a ps3 or 360 just for this game. and even then, it's small differences for one game.

bottom line, debate it all you want. the reality is this makes zero difference to the other 99.9% of the video game buying public.

Expecting? Its already happen dude.

BenjaminBirdie said:
It still supports custom soundtracks, though. It's just not extended into the game GUI, but only a handful of games are.

At the end of the day, though, you can play your own music while you play the game. A "custom" made "soundtrack" if you will.

(I don't think PGR4 did it, it certainly didn't have the songs come up in the GUI which I believe PGR3 did, and was so totally awesome.)

So what you are telling me, BenjaminBirdie, is that the XBOX360 is the only version to allow the soundtrack to play while walking around? Well gee golly mister, that sounds like the superior version to me.

h3ro said:
Let me put it this way... I've never had so much fun getting my ass handed to me in a game in a long long time... :D

Also, the GAF clan is the most active clan in the entire Beta! The second GAF clan is in the top ten... GAF has no life confirmed!

OK, sorry for the diversion, back to the Texchurr Warz!!!

Awesome hopefully I there's room for me in one of the clans. I'm going to get my ass handed to me as well being 2 1/2 days behind. :(

Ok back to GTAIV!

So when this games released at midnight tomorrow, who's going to post the side by side screen shots? My guess is no one because they should be playing GTAIV.
My prediction: This thread will float to the bottom for 1-2 days.

Durante

SeaOfMadness said:

You're forgetting the (pretty likely on GAF) case of people who own both a PS3 and a 360.

SeaOfMadness said:

Are people trying to argue that less pop-in will sell the game more on PS3? because I don't think it will. I am still deciding which version to buy because I already own both consoles.

and for those who played the game or read every single article out there, dose classic mode on PS3 make it lock on only? can you make it so L1 is free aim and R1 is shoot?

sinnergy

ypo said:
Heh, remember that *fake* review where the guy mentioned things popped up after you pass them by in the X360 version?

Yes.. and the PS3 version had 2 player splitscreen.. you mean that one :lol

Son of Godzilla said:
So what you are telling me, BenjaminBirdie, is that the XBOX360 is the only version to allow the soundtrack to play while walking around? Well gee golly mister, that sounds like the superior version to me.

I never said that.

BigBoss

Does anyone know if you can customize the controls so that I could aim with L1 and shoot with R1? Because if I can't then just I'll pick-up the 360 version..

Truespeed

Kinan said:
so thats the last hope for many, eh? :)

Kind of sad isn't it? They're so desperate to discover why the PS3 version is the superior version they'll try and turn over every rock to discredit it. In the end, they'll eventually discover that he PS3 version is actually 721p.

Durante said:
You're forgetting the (pretty likely on GAF) case of people who own both a PS3 and a 360.

no i deliberately didn't mention that. are fanboys that crazy that they care which version someone with *both* consoles buys? i don't how that matters in the grand scheme of things? what percentage of total ps3+360 own both? 0.01%?

LowParry

Hrmmm. Hrmmm. Shit. I don't know what version to get. My PS3 is getting some MGO love now and will get more love in June. Haven't bought a game for my 360 in a very long time. It's just been COD4 and Gears that gets played with a little side of Puzzle Fighter. Damn. Hard choice here. Very hard choice.

CcrooK said:
Hrmmm. Hrmmm. Shit. I don't know what version to get. My PS3 is getting some MGO love now and will get more love in June. Haven't bought a game for my 360 in a very long time. It's just been COD4 and Gears that gets played with a little side of Puzzle Fighter. Damn. Hard choice here. Very hard choice.
Same here. I'm sitting here staring at the checkout screen for my order, but I'm still not sure which version to get. It if didn't have an online mode, this would be so much easier.

BigBoss said:
Does anyone know if you can customize the controls so that I could aim with L1 and shoot with R1? Because if I can't then just I'll pick-up the 360 version..

Has there ever been a GTA where you can customize controls (on console versions)? I've never looked because I never minded GTA controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom