• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

le.phat

Geek said:
Yes, it was. The SIXAXIS controls are horrid and turning them on is a waste of anyone's time. If you spend one minute reading that story, you've just saved yourself 10 minutes of playing the SIXAXIS tutorial. Don't get bent out of shape, GAF.

do you work for kotaku ? If so i'd like to take this moment to tell you you're site is a shitden of trolls and pretty much the armpit of professional online gaming editorials. Other then fanboy fodder you guys bring nothing to the table. nothing whatsoever. "Don't get bent out of shape, gaf" ? You guys got banned here several times for a reason; If you don't want to get jumped over your "articles" then either put some effort in them or don't post anything at all.

Banned
The Facts:
Many sources state that the PS3 version has smoother edges than the 360 one.

Many other people playing the game and some of the comparisons state that the PS3 version has smoother edges (or that it looks ‘soft’) but has quite a few ‘jaggies’ (aliasing) or flicker:
http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showpost.php?p=1343913&postcount=52 said:
Negatives

The visual appearance of the game is (as others have reported) slightly muddy in that filterish way Vice City had (it's not as bad). There's also shimmering on certain textures and gates, and the overall image quality appears slightly soft.

Some sites have said that the 360 version looks sharper:
http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/audio/article/869/869564/GTA%20IV%20Podcast.mp3 said:
00:43:30

“On the 360 side, you know, I thought at least that it looked brighter and I thought the colours were better.”
“It looked a little sharper too, in the resolution, to me.”
“Yeah… uh, it's a trade-off, but I would say performance is just a little bit better on the PS3, uh, so it would have been nice if the 360 could actually use the hard drive the way the PS3 could”
Conclusion:
There's a good chance the PS3 version is rendering below 1280x720.

I'm also wondering if most people playing on the 360 are using 20gb drives – the 120gb drives in the Elite are faster, so perhaps those of us that own them are going to see less pop-in, assuming it's making use of the HDD cache?

mintylurb

Geek said:
True, so I remove you from the collective princesses at GAF who get their ire up when we post something negative about a feature of a PS3 game. I think I'm just becoming increasingly annoyed at the assumption that we're trying to "balance" the console comparison by trying to save you 10-15 minutes of your GTA IV playing time.
Hey, Michael! I wuv kotaku!

Raistlin

danwarb said:
Which reviews? I haven't heard that.

I'd have to look up some of them, but this is from the IGN review

While GTA IV is pushing the PS3 and 360 to the limit, it also runs amazingly well. Sure, there are framerate hitches here and there and (particularly on 360) there is some texture pop-in, but it actually runs better than I expected.

mintylurb

andrewfee said:
The Facts:

Many other people playing the game and some of the comparisons state that the PS3 version has smoother edges (or that it looks ‘soft’) but has quite a few ‘jaggies’ (aliasing) or flicker:

Some sites have said that the 360 version looks sharper:
Conclusion:
Oh, jeebus. not you again..

andrewfee said:
Conclusion:

:lol Andrewfee is here! The thread keeps getting better and better. I can't wait for your skewed GTA vids trying to prove that PS3 version has screen tearing.

I hope the mods don't start banning people, this thread is hilarious.

Raistlin

Fafalada said:
Number of samples remain the same, just the resolve pattern changes. Since it's not built into hw, you'd have to do AA-resolve in Software.
Which yea, means a bit of (main)memory+performance overhead but nothing major (like doing software upscales or what not, it's practically free). Not as simple as on PS3, but if it actually improved IQ, no sense in not doing it.

I would suspect maybe the overhead was too much to include with how they designed the engine?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
andrewfee said:
The Facts:

Conclusion:

There are not enough :lol . Not enough.

Banned
Onix said:
I'd have to look up some of them, but this is from the IGN review

Dear god not this again. Read that quote again. It is talking about the pop-in NOT the framerate.

While GTA IV is pushing the PS3 and 360 to the limit, it also runs amazingly well. Sure, there are framerate hitches here and there and (particularly on 360) there is some texture pop-in, but it actually runs better than I expected.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
le.phat said:
do you work for kotaku ? If so i'd like to take this moment to tell you you're site is a shitden of trolls and pretty much the armpit of professional online gaming editorials. Other then fanboy fodder you guys bring nothing to the table. nothing whatsoever. "Don't get bent out of shape, gaf" ? You guys got banned here several times for a reason; If you don't want to get jumped over your "articles" then either put some effort in them or don't post anything at all.

Thanks for reading!

Raistlin

Linkzg said:
I made the same mistake yesterday, they are refering the texture pop in and not frame rate. Blame poor writting on IGNs part.

Oh lol ... shitty sentence structure.

In that case ... forget it. Not sure which one has the best then. Sounds like the PS3 is more consistent, but the 360 has a higher upper bar.

Duke Togo

mabuza said:
there 's no need for a final verdict. is pretty unanimous that the ps3 has the superior version.
Mabuza, surely you can appreciate the pomp and circumstance that will surround the final verdict. :D

Crisis said:
It's a honey pot thread. You watch. People that actively participated in this will slowly start disappearing one by one like the hookers on a San Andreas street over time.

:lol , Let's hope so.

But seriously. The following is all my opinion only. I had made up my mind to go PS3 on Friday night after the reviews hit and pick up 360 later if the DLC was worth it. But last night, I got to thinking about two things that really make me waffle again.

1. Custom Soundtrack - What's the true status on this? The OP says that it's not supported in either but then says that it is supported through the 360 guide. Well, this is how they are supported in most games, right? If it works at all on 360 then it's something I'm interested in because except for Vice City I haven't really cared for the music on these games and the track list released so far doesn't really thrill me. My enjoyment of just driving and dicking around (which I do a lot of in these types of games) is greatly enhanced by the proper music.

2. Controller - After playing the MGO beta last night I was reminded just how much I prefer the 360's sticks for aiming in a game. Especially in this game where there is the "partial" hold to switch from auto to manual aim. Seems like the triggers on the 360 pad may be more comfortable with this. I'm one of those who doesn't like the R2/L2 buttons on the PS3 so unless I'm going to forgo auto-aim entirely I'd be forced to rely on them.

I really don't know which version I'm picking up. My mom n' pop is going to have them on Tuesday. There are no pre-orders so I may not have a choice by the time I can get off work to go over there. I've got lots of credit there so I'm not going to buy it anywhere else.

OverHeat

« generous god »
If the PS3 version is rendering below 720p all hell will break lose because I just preorder a PS3 version to get with my 360 version because of the reviews saying the PS3 version as better graphics.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
OverHeat said:
If the PS3 version is rendering below 720p all hell will break lose because I just preorder a PS3 version to get with my 360 version because of the reviews saying the PS3 version as better graphics.

:lol This thread is great

Banned
Onix said:
Oh lol ... shitty sentence structure.

In that case ... forget it. Not sure which one has the best then. Sounds like the PS3 is more consistent, but the 360 has a higher upper bar.

How did you come to this conclusion?

Mrbob said:
Aren't they both locked at 30 with the occasional drop?

Neither the PS3 or 360 version are PS2 level GTA bad in regards to frame rate? This is my main concern. PS2 GTAs I had to always quit due to the piss poor frame rate.
Ironically, install the PS2 GTAs on HDLoader and loadtimes and pop-in are almost eliminated.

(yes I buy all my games)

fortified_concept said:
THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT
like the idiots we are.
See, earlier when mention said that the Kotaku article should be brought up whenever someone claims PS3 retards suffer a persecution complex I thought you meant bring it up as *proof*. Who the fuck cares if some shitty meaningless feature is shitty? Nobody but anyone who wants to pretend to be butthurt by someone saying so. Or you know, whatever the opposite of butthurt would be. Butt-victorious?

Dante

OverHeat said:

It's........andrewfee. Do a quick post check and feel better.

GreekWolf

Just a few more days now, and we'll all be treated to Dark's definitive super-deluxe anal-retentive thread of side-by-side comparison goodness.

Can't wait :D

Dr. Zoidberg said:
:lol , Let's hope so.

But seriously. The following is all my opinion only. I had made up my mind to go PS3 on Friday night after the reviews hit and pick up 360 later if the DLC was worth it. But last night, I got to thinking about two things that really make me waffle again.

1. Custom Soundtrack - What's the true status on this? The OP says that it's not supported in either but then says that it is supported through the 360 guide. Well, this is how they are supported in most games, right? If it works at all on 360 then it's something I'm interested in because except for Vice City I haven't really cared for the music on these games and the track list released so far doesn't really thrill me. My enjoyment of just driving and dicking around (which I do a lot of in these types of games) is greatly enhanced by the proper music.

Yeah, I don't get how all of a sudden with GTA4, Custom Soundtrack support isn't "really" Custom Soundtrack support. This is how it's been done all generation on the 360.

The only X-Factor is whether or not it runs over Cutscene Dialogue like Dead Rising.

Cowboy Astronaut, if you'd like to find that out, that'd be awesome.

Nif

So the technical comparisons so far are either in line with my console of choice or completely irrelevant because you're biased to think otherwise. This thread has been a huge help.

I'm surprised everyone here has both consoles.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dr. Zoidberg said:
1. Custom Soundtrack - What's the true status on this? The OP says that it's not supported in either but then says that it is supported through the 360 guide. Well, this is how they are supported in most games, right?

Well, not necessarily. A good example is Saints Row for 360. There was a built-in custom soundtrack option in the car radio, so if you were to get out of the car, the music would come from the car and disappear the further you walk away from it. So, in that sense, it was "built" into the game.

Raistlin

Karma said:
How did you come to this conclusion?

Because most impressions have said they have similar overall framerates ... but the 360 sometimes goes higher (particularly in indoor scenes).

Dante

Nif said:
So the technical comparisons so far are either in line with my console of choice or completely irrelevant because you're biased to think otherwise. This thread has been a huge help.

I'm surprised everyone here has both consoles.

:lol That's a good one.

Ceb

BenjaminBirdie said:
So is everyone just going to breeze past Cowboy's detailed, lengthy, and revelatory analysis and just continue on along with the same arguments he's basically, if not defused, at least put into stark perspective?

Yes, because his opinion isn't worth much in my eyes. Neither is yours, coincidentally.

I think the Kotaku SIXAXIS article was good, but maybe should have a less inflammatory title. Maybe something like "Kotaku doesn't reccomend SIXAXIS in GTA" instead of "SIXAXIS IS HORRIBLE IN GTA".

Son of Godzilla said:
See, earlier when mention said that the Kotaku article should be brought up whenever someone claims PS3 retards suffer a persecution complex I thought you meant bring it up as *proof*. Who the fuck cares if some shitty meaningless feature is shitty? Nobody but anyone who wants to pretend to be butthurt by someone saying so. Or you know, whatever the opposite of butthurt would be. Butt-victorious?

Kotaku is a biased idiotic site that masks itself as a legit gaming site. In this thread we're acting like idiots but we know and enjoy it (most of us anyway). Difference is we're not being hypocrites which is always the problem I have with certain posters and sites.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah, I don't get how all of a sudden with GTA4, Custom Soundtrack support isn't "really" Custom Soundtrack support. This is how it's been done all generation on the 360.

The only X-Factor is whether or not it runs over Cutscene Dialogue like Dead Rising.

Cowboy Astronaut, if you'd like to find that out, that'd be awesome.
I think in game soundtrack means that it'd show up as a radio station. Like it does on GTASA iirc. Also PGR3(4?) and such. Yes I'm purposely omitting DOAX2. I didn't play that game. I swear.

Banned
I thought the 360 had longer load times.

gamesradar said:
PS3 owners also have to put up with a nearly eight-minute installation the first time they start the game, which puts the normally slower Blu-ray load times on par with the Xbox 360 version.

Seems load times are the same.

pxleyes

Banned
OverHeat said:
And this is proof that humanity has no hope left.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
You guys are crazy. :lol

Honestly though, even though I've already paid for my 360 preorder, I'm also going to pick up a PS3 version at the same time.

YES THE GAME IS THAT GOOD.

And also, the 360 version is for my usual friends list shenanigans, while the PS3 version will be for fucking around with the PS3 gaffers.

My GTA4 feed watching and obsession is starting to perturb the wife. :p

Son of Godzilla said:
I think in game soundtrack means that it'd show up as a radio station. Like it does on GTASA iirc. Also PGR3(4?) and such. Yes I'm purposely omitting DOAX2. I didn't play that game. I swear.

It still supports custom soundtracks, though. It's just not extended into the game GUI, but only a handful of games are.

At the end of the day, though, you can play your own music while you play the game. A "custom" made "soundtrack" if you will.

(I don't think PGR4 did it, it certainly didn't have the songs come up in the GUI which I believe PGR3 did, and was so totally awesome.)

CowboyAstronaut said:
The driving comments are bullshit is what it is :)

If one prefers the ps3 controller, then by all means, but for IGN (or anyone for that matter) to be going around making claims that the driving feels better in one version of the game than it does in another is simply blowing smoke up people's asses and trying to fuel the console wars.

Yea I got to play and beat a pre-release (non-final) build of the ps3 version couple days ago so I agree that the ps3 version is awesome, but after seeing both final builds of GTA4 side by side I know now beyond a shadow of a doubt that a lot of sites are playing pretty heavily to the console wars. Both versions are damn near identical. Both versions look amazing and both versions run amazingly well.

If anything, the one thing I will agree with is that the PS3 version has a certain look about it, no doubt helped by the cleanness of it all that helps to give it a very cool look. A look that I will say honestly I prefer over the 360 version's look, but wait because this is usually where all the fanboys go off and start beating the drums of victory. Just because I prefer the look of the PS3 version shouldn't be confused to mean that the 360 version doesn't look downright amazing as well.

There is nothing significantly less appealing in the visuals department for the 360 version. The best way to explain the differences is to say it comes down to personal preference. How serious is the difference? I'll tell you how serious it is. It's like one person preferring MGS4 to have a blue filter and another person preferring MGS4 to have a red or green filter.

The PS3 version has a smoother look to it that just makes it come off as really impressive. The 360 version looks just as good, repeat, just as good, but doesn't come off as smooth looking as the ps3 version because there is a slight difference in how things are handled. The 360 version, in my opinion jumps out at you more, but already knowing how big a leap GTA4 is over previous games in the series one doesn't necessarily need for the game to jump out at you in such a manner to stand out. In this regard I prefer the smoother look that gives the ps3 version a more homey down to earth and, admittedly, realistic look which I feel works best in a game like GTA. This probably wont make sense to some people, but reviewers likely aren't saying the ps3 version looks better because it's pumping out superior graphical features, they are likely saying this because the ps3, of the 2 versions, is using a more subdued style in how it presents the exact same graphical features that can come off as more appealing to certain types of people and looking less like "hey, we have all these improved visual features so we are going to make sure you see them by really making them stand out so our work doesn't go unnoticed"

Most average everyday gamers who look at these games side by side likely wont be able to tell a damn difference between them and it was even hard for me to do, because the slight differences that are there between the 2 versions wasn't immediately apparent to even me. The 360 isn't doing anything less impressive, it's just displaying things in a different way. If anything, the cutscenes are what really help to show the difference. In certain cutscenes the look of the 360 version will make it stand out above the ps3 version, but then in other cutscenes the more subdued look is an advantage for the PS3 version and the 360 version might be looking like it's trying to do too much in a scene where it doesn't require it. This isn't some stealth framerate talk. This is just a difference in visual presentation of the same exact graphical features.

Some reviews need to make that explicitly clear. There are certain blocks for example where the ps3 version will look like it doesn't have textures as high a resolution as the 360 version, but that isn't the case it's just how the PS3 handles the displaying of it. Then there are specific parts in the game where the 360 will look like it's at a disadvantage.

A certain type of lighting and visual filter will work best in some situations and not so well in others.

I'm entirely sure if I take some gamers aside and have them pick a decisive winner between the 2 I would probably end up seeing opinions split between them.

This thing is so touchy you have to be careful what you say, but the muddy that Kotaku calls the ps3 version is probably what I would call subdued, but in many instances that look ends up making the ps3 version look more appealing to me, but then there are times when that may not be the case. But in general, I really like the way the ps3 version is displayed, but both versions are equally impressive. It's a matter of opinion is all. There is no clear cut superior, at least not to me there isn't.

post of the thread.

chespace said:
You guys are crazy. :lol

Honestly though, even though I've already paid for my 360 preorder, I'm also going to pick up a PS3 version at the same time.

YES THE GAME IS THAT GOOD.

And also, the 360 version is for my usual friends list shenanigans, while the PS3 version will be for fucking around with the PS3 gaffers.

My GTA4 feed watching and obsession is starting to perturb the wife. :p

If you'd shown her the Jimmy_The_Bum one, it would've solved that problem. His stream proved fun for the whole family.

wolforce

OverHeat said:

The PS3 version of GTA4 has the same resolution of BurnOut, but unlike this, GTA4 has the advantage of 3 giga installation on the HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom