• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 Thread of Review Scores

woodchuck said:
gamespot summarizes the bad:

# Rewinding saved films doesn't work quite like you'd expect it to
# AI-controlled Marines can't drive to save their lives (or yours)
# Inevitable flood of prepubescent online players sure to hamper your enjoyment of the online modes.

what a shitty reason to put as "bad"
Gamespot am biazed confirmed? :p That's actually a pretty fucked up thing to hold agaisnt the game itself.

giga

woodchuck said:

# Inevitable flood of prepubescent online players sure to hamper your enjoyment of the online modes.

Some inevitable BS from gerstmann yet again.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Ace 8095 said:
I need my high quality HD videos. Break the embargo.
Not going to happen, sorry.
And it's not like I'd have anything to post anyway. I barely managed to borrow the game for 2 hours this afternoon, and the first video isn't even done encoding yet.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So basically it's worse than Halo 2.
Bail out dude, bail out now! lol
Big shocker from 1UP though, who would've thought that Halo 3 would get a perfect score from them! o_0

Halo 3 is a kick ass game no doubt and I've played the first 2 chapters so far! It's fucking rock solid! :D

Blablurn

62qz4g5.jpg

:lol :lol

Greg

TheRipDizz said:
Gamespot am biazed confirmed? :p That's actually a pretty fucked up thing to hold agaisnt the game itself.
It forced me to stop using a headset on Warhawk. :lol

I highly doubt they actually docked points for that reason.

and holy crap this game is going to destroy anything else coming out this year on gamerankings, most notably
smash bros
. If the big sites don't hesitate to go into 9.5 territory, there's no telling how many 10s it's going to receive in the coming weeks.

Sharp

VultureDude said:
and holy crap this game is going to destroy anything else coming out this year on gamerankings, most notably
smash bros
. If the big sites don't hesitate to go into 9.5 territory, there's no telling how many 10s it's going to receivd in the coming weeks.
Did you really think Smash Bros was going to be even close to Halo 3 or Bioshock review-wise? It'll sell incredibly well, but it was never destined for that sort of score.

giga

syllogism said:
Wow, was expecting an 8 knowing them.

And yet, hype machine aside, cutting through the crap about console wars and the like, what we find in Halo 3 is quite simply this - the best game yet in one of the best FPS franchises of the era. Better than either of its predecessors, Halo 3 still can't quite escape the category of flawed masterpiece - but this time around, the flaws are so minor that even the most churlish of reviewers would be hard pressed to mark the game down.

Jeff's Halo 3 vs TP review
(excerpts picked up from GFAQS)

Halo3
"the gameplay doesn't stray too far from Halo 2, which, in turn, didn't exactly reinvent the original Halo. Don't take that as a negative"

vs.

TP
"it's hard not to feel a tinge of disappointment--there's a very noticeable lack of evolution here"

hmm..

VultureDude said:
smash bros
. If the big sites don't hesitate to go into 9.5 territory, there's no telling how many 10s it's going to receive in the coming weeks.
You weren't really expecting anything to get better reviews this year, were you? Even with both Mario and SSBB, Nintendo doesn't have the extensive connections MS does and I'm sure some of the hate for Nintendo's business strategy will surface as backlash.

I think this is very apt:

Eurogamer said:
And yet, hype machine aside, cutting through the crap about console wars and the like, what we find in Halo 3 is quite simply this - the best game yet in one of the best FPS franchises of the era. Better than either of its predecessors, Halo 3 still can't quite escape the category of flawed masterpiece - but this time around, the flaws are so minor that even the most churlish of reviewers would be hard pressed to mark the game down.

Gamestop said:
--The Bad: Rewinding saved films doesn't work quite like you'd expect it to; AI-controlled Marines can't drive to save their lives (or yours); Inevitable flood of prepubescent online players sure to hamper your enjoyment of the online modes.

are you kidding me?

you can't review based on that. they're in every game on xbl. if anything bungie gave us the best solution to this problem with the quick muting

No_Style

FabCam said:
Highest rated game of the year? However, I don't think it will be GOTY.

BioShock and Halo 3. Tough choices.

GameSpot disappoints with its review comments. GameTrailers, on the other hand, delivers.

FIREBABY

woodchuck said:

Not defending the score, but the if that was a reason, then subtract a point from every xbox live game. I really could care less about the scores though. This will be some peoples game of the year and others it won't. Its good and thats all that needs to be said.

Now just wait for the trolls and this thread will be complete.

To skip: Does the game still have those moments where you'll face off against a group of enemies, finish them off, but you can proceed until you beat another 2 or 3 waves of enemies in the same location?

flipping_heck said:
Jeff's Halo 3 vs TP review
(excerpts picked up from GFAQS)

Halo3
"the gameplay doesn't stray too far from Halo 2, which, in turn, didn't exactly reinvent the original Halo. Don't take that as a negative"

vs.

TP
"it's hard not to feel a tinge of disappointment--there's a very noticeable lack of evolution here"

hmm..

:lol

Eric WK

Opus Angelorum said:
I do believe (pun intended) a congratulations is due to yourself and the guys at Bungie, thank you for a wonderful franchise.

Well said.

Congrats to everyone at Bungie on Finishing The Fight. I can't wait to see what awaits the studio.

Sharp said:
Did you really think Smash Bros was going to be even close to Halo 3 or Bioshock review-wise? It'll sell incredibly well, but it was never destined for that sort of score.

no, I didn't, I just find it unsettling knowing that Halo 3's similarities to its previous games are getting it praise, while it's inevitable that
smash bros
is going to be knocked for "rehash" by quite a number of sites. It's just going to happen,
smash bros
will be lucky to get an 8.5 from gamespot for the exact same reasons that Halo 3 gets an 9.5.

I mean, I respect Halo 3, and I think it deserves a 9.5; but unless
smash bros
truely plays like garbage, it more than likely also deserves a 9.0-9.5.

Top Bottom