• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 Thread of Review Scores

traveler

Not Wario
flipping_heck said:
Jeff's Halo 3 vs TP review
(excerpts picked up from GFAQS)

Halo3
"the gameplay doesn't stray too far from Halo 2, which, in turn, didn't exactly reinvent the original Halo. Don't take that as a negative"

vs.

TP
"it's hard not to feel a tinge of disappointment--there's a very noticeable lack of evolution here"

hmm..

While I would disagree with him and say there has been more fundamental change across all of the Halo series than there has been across the 3D Zeldas, this is only the 3rd installment of Halo. Zelda has been around for how long and had how many titles?

Edit: Why has Smash Bros. been brought up? The series is great and has always been given review scores accordingly. WTF guys?

deftangel

took a programming course
Eurogamer | Rob Fahey | 10

:D

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=83948

And yet, hype machine aside, cutting through the crap about console wars and the like, what we find in Halo 3 is quite simply this - the best game yet in one of the best FPS franchises of the era. Better than either of its predecessors, Halo 3 still can't quite escape the category of flawed masterpiece - but this time around, the flaws are so minor that even the most churlish of reviewers would be hard pressed to mark the game down.

Spoiler free as well

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Holy shit, Bioshock is 10th on gamerankings? What the hell happened there?

traveler said:
While I would disagree with him and say there has been more fundamental change across all of the Halo series than there has been across the 3D Zeldas, this is only the 3rd installment of Halo. Zelda has been around for how long and had how many titles?

4?

mm04

I don't know why there's such an outcry from some when a game gets a 10 vs a 95 or even 9.5. Some places only use whole numbers. Others go .5 and some go a full 100 points. The more points you have to work with to review, the more nits you have to pick, I suppose.

Anyway, sounds like it's a great game, regardless of the rating scale/score. Hopefully mine arrives by Thursday at the latest. I went for the save $20 scenario hehe. I can wait...but not too long.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
IzumiK said:
Where's the official Halo 3 reviewer guide? I bet it has full of "content" in it.
Stinkles will soon come in here and say that bubble shields only deploy 8/10 times and that's good enough for him.

soco

Gnar Kill said:
Can someone who has watched the GT review let us know if it's safe to watch?

they may not be spoilers to other people, but htere were some things that were spoilers to me in there. i stopped watching a bit through for fear they'd start revealing more things.

in the review, he said the game is bursting at the seems and it's hard to imagine getting more value out of your 60$ game (or something to that effect). he said campaign is 10-15 hours, the maps are really nicely polished and that there's barely any backtracking and the levels aren't as confusing as earlier. (or at least that's how i interpreted that part )

Xekrn

Banned
No_Style said:
BioShock and Halo 3. Tough choices.

GameSpot disappoints with its review comments. GameTrailers, on the other hand, delivers.
My money is on Mass Effect.

And next year is
Fallout3

Chinner

Banned
Gamespy review:
http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/halo-3/821976p1.html

5/5
While an argument could be made that the single-player campaign alone wouldn't quite be enough to garner a 5/5 score for Halo 3, the entire package is more than satisfying enough to warrant it. The Forge is a gargantuan achievement that puts game design in the hands of players, daring you to be creative and invent a Halo 3 multiplayer experience all your own. Of course, the multiplayer is every bit as astonishing as it has been in past iterations and even eclipses its predecessors in many respects.

In a lot of ways, this review is merely a formality, because there's no doubt in our minds that everyone with a 360 and a hunger for viscious multiplayer should own Halo 3 immediately. In fact, there are probably millions of people who do not yet own 360s that should go out and buy them just so they can witness the majesty that is a furious Halo 3 multiplayer match (provided they enjoy serious competition).

Quite simply, Halo 3 is the reason the Xbox 360 exists.

edit: too late

traveler said:

Kaako

Felium Defensor
CurseoftheGods said:
But the real question is: Is Bioshock as subtly beautiful?
:lol :lol :lol :lol

10 from Eurogamer? Wow!
Congrats Bungie on the great scores! Well deserved :)

Tristam

traveler said:

Edit: Why has Smash Bros. been brought up? The series is great and has always been given review scores accordingly. WTF guys?

There are only three 3D Zelda games that are fundamentally similar: Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess.

Sharp

traveler said:
"There's no denying it -- Halo 3 is the biggest videogame in history. No other game has had as much hype, built-up fan anticipation nor the marketing push -- try $10 million in marketing campaigns alone -- as the last chapter of the premiere franchise in console gaming."

Uh-oh. I smell trouble abrewing.
Yeah seriously didn't Capcom have a $20 million budget for Lost Planet?

traveler

Not Wario
Oblivion said:
Holy shit, Bioshock is 10th on gamerankings? What the hell happened there?

4?

I shouldn't have thrown in 3D. >.< Ocarina of Time is still fundamentally the same as LttP and its clones as well, just in 3D.

traveler said:

I was talking about smash because it has alot of things in common with Halo 3 going into its review: 3rd in a series, and it's the same formula with a slightly different twist. could be praised or bashed depending on who reviews it.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
That's reserved for Mass Effect.
Bioshock will be the best rated game of the year. On Gamerankings and Metacritic. I don't see Halo 3 passing either of it up, though its certainly going to challenge it. Bioshock just got so many 10s and its score won't be changing much from 95.4 (gamerankings) and 96 (metacritic).

Firestorm

traveler said:
"There's no denying it -- Halo 3 is the biggest videogame in history. No other game has had as much hype, built-up fan anticipation nor the marketing push -- try $10 million in marketing campaigns alone -- as the last chapter of the premiere franchise in console gaming."

Uh-oh. I smell trouble abrewing.

Super Mario Bros. 3?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
traveler said:
I shouldn't have thrown in 3D. >.< Ocarina of Time is still fundamentally the same as LttP and its clones as well, just in 3D.

Sorry, that's still unfair. Sure, structurally it was similar to LttP (Miyamoto even said that was the goal) but to ignore everything that the game brought to the table is silly.

skip

_leech_ said:
To skip: Does the game still have those moments where you'll face off against a group of enemies, finish them off, but you can proceed until you beat another 2 or 3 waves of enemies in the same location?

yeah, there were a few of those encounters. the checkpoints were (mostly) generous.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Lamepro said:

Uggggh. How is Gamepro still in business? You'd think the eleven year old fantards would've stopped buying it by now.

Lathentar said:
Bioshock will be the best rated game of the year. On Gamerankings and Metacritic. I don't see Halo 3 passing either of it up, though its certainly going to challenge it. Bioshock just got so many 10s and its score won't be changing much from 95.4 (gamerankings) and 96 (metacritic).

I'm not talking about highest rated, just the best game. As much as I loved Bioshock and soon Halo 3, I'm just more pumped up for Mass Effect than anything else that's coming out this year.

I mean just look at that!

:drool

Tristam

traveler said:
Games hadn't achieved any sort of mainstream appeal then. I think it's safe to say Halo 3 is more widely known, seen, and anticipated than SMB3.

Wait, more people are familiar with Master Chief than Mario? Super Mario Bros. 3 sold more than Halo 3 ever will.

EDIT: If you're referring to anticipation...well, the internets certainly make anticipation seem more pronounced.

Crateman

I'm calling it right now:

Best selling game of 07: Halo 3

GOTY 07: Bioshock --- Runner up:
Mass Effect (?)

GOTY am robbed by low reviews: Smash Bros. Brawl

My GOTY: Unreal Tournament III --- Runner up: The Orange Box tied with Bioshock.

Tieno said:
Can anyone pull some conclusion quotes from the gametrailers review? (am afraid of spoilers )

- Campaign whilst linear has very little backtracking or repetition.

- Every locale is unique and memorable.

- 10 - 15 hour average playtime depending on difficulty.

- The deployable items aren't ground breaking.

- Best enemy AI in the business.

- Visuals are not the best on the system, poor character models.

- Audio trumps the visuals.

more to come...

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
traveler said:
Games hadn't achieved any sort of mainstream appeal then. I think it's safe to say Halo 3 is more widely known, seen, and anticipated than SMB3.

I'd argue against that. I know people who still refer to videogames in general as "Nintendo" and it's because of that era. There were more videogame-based movies, television shows, and merchandising out there then than there are now. SMB3 didn't become one of the best selling games of all time solely off the backs of hardcore basement nerds.

FabCam

Tieno said:
Can anyone pull some conclusion quotes from the gametrailers review? (am afraid of spoilers )

"Look behind the sofa, in your car and in your pockets. Do whatever you can to get hold of Halo 3. The chief is back and he's no theif."

That's the last quote from the review.

Top Bottom