• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 Thread of Review Scores

Zzoram

flipping_heck said:
Jeff's Halo 3 vs TP review
(excerpts picked up from GFAQS)

Halo3
"the gameplay doesn't stray too far from Halo 2, which, in turn, didn't exactly reinvent the original Halo. Don't take that as a negative"

vs.

TP
"it's hard not to feel a tinge of disappointment--there's a very noticeable lack of evolution here"

hmm..

The thing is, Halo 3 does move forward. Forge + Saved Films is a huge deal in that regard.

traveler said:
Over all time, yes. But can you recall seeing this type of publicity and hype around SMB3 at the time of its release? Maybe I was too young at the time and am wrong, but I just can't fathom how it would have reached this level without the mass acceptance of the Internet.
Well I don't know, but they kinda did make a full feature film to promote SMB3.

TheLegend

traveler said:
Games hadn't achieved any sort of mainstream appeal then. I think it's safe to say Halo 3 is more widely known, seen, and anticipated than SMB3.
Wow?

Anyway, pretty impressive reviews!

Dirtbag

CajoleJuice said:
The Orange Box is 5 games in one, though. ;)

If there is a second game I want this gen.... its Orange Box. You can't argue with that value either. But today belongs to Halo.

IGN:
Graphics: Despite a few moments of slowdown, this is a gorgeous game, especially considering the demands of the replay function. And it's to die for in 1080p.

The demands of the replay function? What demands? And what does that have to do with graphics?

Not trying to bash Halo 3 here, just IGN stupidity oO

Crateman said:
The Orange Box wants a word with you for a minute...

That's five games. That's like saying the LucasArts fun pack is the most complete game money can buy, or Lost Season 2 is the most complete movie ever made.

Tristam

traveler said:
Over all time, yes. But can you recall seeing this type of publicity and hype around SMB3 at the time of its release? Maybe I was too young at the time and am wrong, but I just can't fathom how it would have reached this level without the mass acceptance of the Internet.

I'm sure you can search through Lexis Nexis and pull up thousands of articles from mainstream newspapers running stories about Super Mario Bros. 3. Mario was better known even then among the general public than MC will ever be.

the_id

the Eurogamer review brought tears to my eye...and i'm not even a Halo 3 fanboy (though i love the game).

Damn it MS! FALCON NOW PLEASE!!!!

traveler

Not Wario
Metalmurphy said:
The demands of the replay function? What demands? And what does that have to do with graphics?

The replay function isn't built on actual saved video files; it's literally running the data back through to recreate what you're watching. That's why the file sizes are so small.

Edit: I'm wrong about the SMB3 thing then. I guess I can't remember it properly.

Metalmurphy said:

Did you see the ViDoc on Saved Films? It's basically a miracle.

909er

Sharp said:
Yeah seriously didn't Capcom have a $20 million budget for Lost Planet?

Part of LP's cost was the development of a PC/360/PS3 engine to be used in future titles like DMC4, RE5, and probably most of their next-gen outings.

BenjaminBirdie said:
That's five games. That's like saying the LucasArts fun pack is the most complete game money can buy, or Lost Season 2 is the most complete movie ever made.
Touche.

Nevertheless, both contain a massive amount of pure awesomeness.

McLovin

Opus Angelorum said:
- Campaign whilst linear has very little backtracking or repetition.

- Every locale is unique and memorable.

- 10 - 15 hour average playtime depending on difficulty.

- The deployable items aren't ground breaking.

- Best enemy AI in the business.

- Visuals are not the best on the system, poor character models.

- Audio trumps the visuals.

more to come...

They did say negative stuff too. Although the enemy AI is awesome the team AI isn't all that great. Team members sometimes get in your way and you shouldn't let them drive.. ever. But thats the only bad thing about it. Everything else is good.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
ACE COMBAT 6.

Never forget.

I forgot. But this is no place for such trifling. This is where we celebrate the hard work of many, all in the pursuit of simply diverting us and bringing us joy, together and as individuals.

cilonen

traveler said:
Games hadn't achieved any sort of mainstream appeal then. I think it's safe to say Halo 3 is more widely known, seen, and anticipated than SMB3.

1) A few titles in gaming have reched this level of anticipation, hype, expectation, whatever you want to call it - a gaming 'X factor'. I can think of Super Mario Bros 3; queueing up and sprinting through Virgin Megastore, London when the doors opened to grab a copy of Zelda - Ocarina of Time; Sonic Twosday for, yeah, Sonic 2..

2) Regardless of platform, creed or label you gotta love moments like this, it's part of being a gamer and getting a kick out of seeing a community hyped for something like this. Congrats to Bungie for pulling it off. Gotta love the excitement.

traveler said:
The replay function isn't built on actual saved video files; it's literally running the data back through to recreate what you're watching. That's why the file sizes are so small.

Edit: I'm wrong about the SMB3 thing then. I guess I can't remember it properly.

Yeah... I know, that has been done over and over again for ages, and that is exactly my point, what demands? And what does it have to do with graphics?

giga

Gamer 2.0's review sounds a bit off.

They rate it at 8.8 (Great), yet their closing statement is this:

The story just isn’t put-together well enough, the graphics are disappointing, and the levels have you constantly running back and forth. Yes, if all of these things were rectified, the game would be spectacular. But they’re not.

What?

CajoleJuice said:
Touche.

Nevertheless, both contain a massive amount of pure awesomeness.

Undoubtedly. There's no argument that Orange Box is the buy the year. But Halo 3 is really the most fully featured individual game in an extraordinarily long time (ever?).

Firestorm

traveler said:

Whaaat. I was only 2 when it was released so I don't remember anything, but from what has been said about it, its hype outweighed even Halo 3. Remember, video games may be "mainstream" now, but back then they were a cultural phenomenon. Especially Mario. Halo isn't like that.

They stuck the first footage of the game in a crappy movie and people went to see it so they could catch a glimpse of the damn thing.

Dirtbag

VultureDude said:
most complete game on any console? nah, that would The Orange Box
;)

To requote myself....

myself said:
If there is a second game I want this gen.... its Orange Box. You can't argue with that value either. But today belongs to Halo.

and the only console you can play both of them is..... :D

giga said:
Gamer 2.0's review sounds a bit off.

They rate it at 8.8 (Great), yet their closing statement is this:

The story just isn’t put-together well enough, the graphics are disappointing, and the levels have you constantly running back and forth. Yes, if all of these things were rectified, the game would be spectacular. But they’re not.

What?

How is that off? Did you want the score to be lower?

Firestorm

These reviews have taken me from kinda hyped to truly hyped =(

Crateman said:
I'm calling it right now:

Best selling game of 07: Halo 3

GOTY 07: Bioshock --- Runner up:
Mass Effect (?)

GOTY am robbed by low reviews: Smash Bros. Brawl

My GOTY: Unreal Tournament III --- Runner up: The Orange Box tied with Bioshock.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
traveler said:

Screw SMB3, have you heard of PacMan fever?

Videogames exploded in the late 70's/early 80's.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Undoubtedly. There's no argument that Orange Box is the buy the year. But Halo 3 is really the most fully featured individual game in an extraordinarily long time (ever?).
When it comes to console games, I don't think there's any argument there. Even when it comes to PC games at release (not factoring in mods), it's hard to me to think of something more packed with content.

giga

AltogetherAndrews said:
How is that off? Did you want the score to be lower?
A closing statement like made it sound like a 6.0 game. Do I want it lower? No--I want the game to be good. The review just doesn't seem honest when I'm getting mixed signals like that.

BenjaminBirdie said:

Except that some reviews seem to take issue with the campaign mode, with the MP making up for the difference. That is indeed full featured, if you have at least as much interest in MP as you do SP. Unfortunately, that's not true for everyone.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I think Gerstmen comment was tongue-in-cheek, stop overreacting.

Odysseus

Banned
giga said:
A closing statement like made it sound like a 6.0 game. Do I want it lower? No--I want the game to be good. The review just doesn't seem honest when I'm getting mixed signals like that.

i think you're the only person on the planet actually looking at the gamer 2.0 review

Top Bottom