• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Haunted: Hell's Reach |OT| Uncensored in Germany!

Irish

It looks pretty darn interesting. Lots of stuff going on at once. I might just have to pick this up.

By the way, I love those little glitch videos you have posted.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
once again, gaf judges too early. the video looks awesome. i'd play the hell out of that with co-op.

make a vita version! :x

someone should gif 1:05 the tank explosion.

ScHlAuChi

kamspy said:
Well, some TPS games could be a little less cramped.;) It's nice to have options. Especially since you're working with a flexible engine. The FOV slider is fast becoming the olive branch from multiplatform developers to PC gamers. Adding one to a TPS would just make the olive branch that much more awesome.

Unfortunately its not that easy, as the player, player aiming, minions and demons all have different FOV, so for now i would say its unlikely that we can offer that.

Which anti aliasing methods will be available?

We dont have any in the menu, but ppl can change them in the ini, we will look into this later.

Irish

Bad_Boy said:
once again, gaf judges too early. the video looks awesome. i'd play the hell out of that with co-op.

make a vita version! :x

someone should gif 1:05 the tank explosion.
ibbJ5js5kpB2x.gif

ScHlAuChi said:
Its Unreal, if you know your way around it you can do wahtever you want :)
If you know UnrealED you can make maps etc...

Great news, my friends and I have been having a hard time finding games to play this fall. The Haunted is now on our list!

The_Monk

ScHlAuChi said:
Hey GAF
Im the designer of this game, so ask me anything you want :)

Haunted is a pretty straightforward arcade game.
In terms of gameplay think of it as a mix between Resident Evil 4, Godhand and Vanquish.
It has the shooting mechanics of RE4, some melee moves like Godhand, and speed elements of Vanquish. You can probably tell that im a huge Mikami Fan ;)

Its like the Resident Evil Mercenaries mode but done much better with superior controls and more variety.
Dont be too harsh on us, we are a pretty small team of indie devs - we neither have the personal nor budget to compete with the big boys ;)

It's people like you that make me support the games. I'll keep an eye for more news about this.

Keep the community close to you, fans love that. Good luck ;)

Raide

IS this like Horde Mode aka Waves of monsters or more like Serious Sam/Painkiller where you actually have a mission to run through?

Amagon

Just watching the gameplay video, of you course you can see the Mikami gameplay influence rite off the bat which is a good thing. Feels very B-movieish which I like. Gameplay looks like fun though I do have a few comments.

-Is there more melee actions for the characters?
-I think the VA is horrible especially the shit one liners
-The game characters look ugly as shit and I mean the ones you are controlling

But other than that, I actually think it looks like fun and wanna try it myself. For some reason, reminds me of a game that came out of the movie Grandma's Boy. You have my support ScHlAuChi.

Xater

ScHlAuChi said:
Exclusively for GAF i made a short gameplay video of me playing a round of survival!

I had some Hiccups during recording, so dont be surprised when theres skips.
Also note that this does not reflect the final game yet, as there are still some bugs.
The number of monsters and things like still needs balancing.
I didnt play that well and forgot to show some moves :p

In any case - enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgjhNsRsmxk

This video of pure gameplay leaves an even better impression than the quick cut trailer. I kinda really like you blood effect when dudes explode.

ScHlAuChi

THE NO LIFE KING said:
-Is there more melee actions for the characters?
Yes there is 2 more attacks, we might extend this system in later patches.

-I think the VA is horrible especially the shit one liners
You can turn voices off in the options.
We could have tried to get Nolan North, but im sure he would not be interested :(

-The game characters look ugly as shit and I mean the ones you are controlling
Well, we cant make it right for everyone, but im sure the community will release player models that you like :)

Looks great, very pleased it's not a twin shooter/it's not top down. Far too many of both on L.A and PSN.

Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on this. :D

Acosta

That trailer looks fun! I'll keep an eye on it.

Good luck!

BTW It´s funny how people's perception change according the presentation of a game:

-Simple looking 2D or top down game: looks good!

-Simple looking Third Person game: why doesn't look like Uncharted?

Orobi

Looks like The Club from Sega/Bizarre Soft + some moves ripped from Vanquish, but with more shitty character design.
So boring...

Ken

ScHlAuChi said:
You can probably tell that im a huge Mikami Fan ;)

Its like the Resident Evil Mercenaries mode but done much better with superior controls and more variety.

I love Vanquish and Mercenaries.

Faux Sam Gideon's ARS suit as alternate costume? ]:

ScHlAuChi said:
Unfortunately there is no real campaign, we are roughly 5 people who worked on the game all this time, for a SP campaign we we need like 10x as much.
So yes its alot more like RE Mercenaries mode - just done better ;)
wow I'm really impressed that this is the work of only 5 people . Good Job indeed. I always a pleasure to see people who works out of passion!

How long was the development ?

Anyway the game looks solid and very well done, although if I can give you my two cents :

1) I cannot see zombies anymore .... I'm fed up with zombies

2) Online only Indie are a mistake in my opinion, because they tend to become a "ghostown" very quickly. especially with games like left4dead super cheap and popular around.

.la1n

ScHlAuChi said:
Hey GAF
Im the designer of this game, so ask me anything you want :)

Haunted is a pretty straightforward arcade game.
In terms of gameplay think of it as a mix between Resident Evil 4, Godhand and Vanquish.
It has the shooting mechanics of RE4, some melee moves like Godhand, and speed elements of Vanquish. You can probably tell that im a huge Mikami Fan ;)

Dont be too harsh on us, we are a pretty small team of indie devs - we neither have the personal nor budget to compete with the big boys ;)

This being your first time releasing a game to a larger market I'm not sure this would be the best way to word the point you are trying to get across.

Basically...don't be a Dyak ;P

ScHlAuChi said:
Certainly worth me playing the demo then as I freaking love those games. Congrats on getting picked up!

Also that youtube clip pretty much sold me on the game.

Aesthet1c

ScHlAuChi, it's really awesome to see you in this thread supporting your game and answering questions. Your description of the game and the made-for-gaf video has pretty much sold me. Really looking forward to this release.

Can you tell us how the weapon upgrade system works? Do you get money for killing zombies and surviving rounds? And then spend that money on weapon upgrades?

ScHlAuChi

MesserWolf said:
wow I'm really impressed that this is the work of only 5 people . Good Job indeed. I always a pleasure to see people who works out of passion!
It is actually more than 5 if you count the people that dont work fulltime, like voiceactors, soundguy etc...

How long was the development ?
roughly 3 years

Anyway the game looks solid and very well done, although if I can give you my two cents
1) I cannot see zombies anymore .... I'm fed up with zombies
Well good thing that our game has minions and demons and not zombies!
Thats good, right? Right? ;)

2) Online only Indie are a mistake in my opinion, because they tend to become a "ghostown" very quickly. especially with games like left4dead super cheap and popular around.
We hope this wont happen in our case, as we support modding, so people can tinker and do new stuff all the time :)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
ScHlAuChi said:
It has the shooting mechanics of RE4, some melee moves like Godhand, and speed elements of Vanquish.

Shut_up_and_take_my_money-(n1294512916668).jpg

Looks like a lot of fun.

ScHlAuChi

.la1n said:
This being your first time releasing a game to a larger market I'm not sure this would be the best way to word the point you are trying to get across.

Basically...don't be a Dyak ;P

Its better than Too Human!
Wait, is this a good or a bad thing?

Well i dont think i have been too brash saying that our controls are much superior as its not really hard to be better than RE controls, seeing how GAF complains about them all the time ;)

Mrbob

ScHlAuChi said:
Exclusively for GAF i made a short gameplay video of me playing a round of survival!

I had some Hiccups during recording, so dont be surprised when theres skips.
Also note that this does not reflect the final game yet, as there are still some bugs.
The number of monsters and things like still needs balancing.
I didnt play that well and forgot to show some moves :p

In any case - enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgjhNsRsmxk

I really like the melee combat which you can mix up with the projectile weapons. Speed is nice too, game plays fast. Game looks like it could be a lot of fun in co op online.

Are there going to be any co op melee combo moves?

Moofers

Love the sudden thunderstorm in that gameplay video. It would be cool if the lightning strikes would occasionally hit one of the guys wearing the metal helmets. :)

ScHlAuChi

NinjaTehFish said:
Are you going to offer a demo on Steam/PC?
This looks pretty good but I'll really want to play it before committing to a purchase.

Yeah there will be a demo, we are also looking into doing a Steam Beta for preorders atm.

ScHlAuChi

Aesthet1c said:
Can you tell us how the weapon upgrade system works? Do you get money for killing zombies and surviving rounds? And then spend that money on weapon upgrades?

Killing minions earns you XP (the little bar at the bottom), once its full the next minion you kill will drop an upgrade box.
When you pick that box up it will upgrade the weapon that you hold in your hands, so make sure you have the correct weapon selected before you do it.

ScHlAuChi

Moofers said:
Love the sudden thunderstorm in that gameplay video. It would be cool if the lightning strikes would occasionally hit one of the guys wearing the metal helmets. :)

It actually does, and the lighting did hit me 2x, which is why i was stunned ;)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ScHlAuChi said:
The gameplay isnt suited very well for Move, sorry :)

Why? Can you offer a specific example of something that can't be done/could work well via Move?

ScHlAuChi

TTP said:
Why? Can you offer a specific example of something that can't be done via Move?

If you take a look at those pics, you can see why its abit problematic.
Our game fully supports customizeable controls - these are just the defaults!

Controls-PS3.png

Controls-360.png

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ScHlAuChi said:
If you take a look at those pics, you can see why its abit problematic.
Our game supports fully customizeable controls - these are just the defaults!

http://www.hells-reach.com/media/Controls-PS3.png[img]
[img]http://www.hells-reach.com/media/Controls-360.png[img][/QUOTE]

I don't see what's problematic. Are you aware you have [I]all[/I] those buttons on the Move/Navi? You'd only need to replace the right stick input with Move tilting input for camera control/aiming. Evade could be done via gesture detection or other solutions.

You could also benefit from the fact that you can operate the camera without the need to move the right thumb away from the main face buttons (since you move the camera with the wrist basically).

ScHlAuChi

TTP said:
I don't see what's problematic. Are you aware you have all those buttons on the Move/Navi? You'd only need to replace the right stick input with Move tilting input for camera control/aiming. Evade could be done via gesture detection or other solutions.

You could also benefit from the fact that you can operate the camera without the need to move the right thumb away from the main face buttons (since you move the camera with the wrist basically).

Well how would you do the evade move then? *edit* oh right could just use that big move button for that :) *edit*
I have a Move myself btw, but i just cant imagine myself playing Haunted with Move, you dont really have much time to aim and shoot, everything is so quick like in Vanquish, aiming doesnt play such a big role like in FPS games.

I mean we can look into it, but i cant promise anything :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ScHlAuChi said:
Well how would you do the evade move then?
I have a Move myself btw, but i just cant imagine myself playing Haunted with Move, you dont really have much time to aim and shoot, everything is so quick like in Vanquish, aiming doesnt play such a big role like in FPS games.

I mean we can look into it, but i cant promise anything :)

Assuming evade works as I imagine (push R3 to roll in the direction you are moving), that could be easily moved to one of the face button (again, your thumb is always there when using the Move) and use a gesture for something else.

Or have melee on forward jab and evade on L1.
Or have reload of Move twist and whatever on Triangle.

Of controls scheme would need rearranging.
But I guess the problem here is not so much one of buttons, but rather one of camera behavior. You want it so that you can quickly point it around and put the enemy at the center of the screen.

The bounding box solution adopted by many Move shooters wouldn't work very well, but there is an interesting fixed reticule solution you could investigate for your game which basically maps Move tilting to camera tilting almost 1:1.

Here is a video explaining how this works in PlayStation Move Heroes.
http://youtu.be/JX_25r_guis?hd=1&t=3m37s

An easier way to deal with this camera problem would be to adopt a camera assist which would turn and lock the camera on the target closest to the on-screen cursor like in Killzone 3, but more "severe".

Edit - No, the big Move button will need to be used as a replacement of one of the shoulder buttons ;) (R2 = Move Trigger / R1 = big Move button or viceversa)

ScHlAuChi

TTP said:
Assuming evade works as I imagine (push R3 to roll in the direction you are moving), that could be easily moved to one of the face button (again, your thumb is always there when using the Move) and use a gesture for something else.

Yep thats how it works.

Or have melee on forward jab and evade on L1.
But I guess the problem here is not so much one of buttons, but rather one of camera behavior. You want it so that you can quickly point it around and put the enemy at the center of the screen.

You are right, the cam might be the bigger prob.

The bounding box solution adopted by many Move shooters wouldn't work very well, but there is an interesting fixed reticule solution you could investigate for your game which basically maps Move tilting to camera tilting almost 1:1.

Here is a video explaining how this works in PlayStation Move Heroes.
http://youtu.be/JX_25r_guis?hd=1&t=3m37s

An easier way to deal with this camera problem would be to adopt a camera assist which would turn and lock the camera on the target closest to the on-screen cursor like in Killzone 3, but more "severe".

Thanks for that link, this solution could indeed work for a game like ours.
If we have the time its something we will look into :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ScHlAuChi said:
Thanks for that link, this solution could indeed work for a game like ours.
If we have the time its something we will look into :)

Even if you don't, I'm glad you at least put some consideration into it. Many devs simply see Move as a casual device that threats to turn their hardcore games into casual ones so they are against it without even investigating the potential. They don't realize they are missing an opportunity to actually make their game more fun for everybody.

You don't seem to be one of those devs :)

Edit: Oh, good luck with your game!

Wazzim

Banned
ScHlAuChi and it being on Steam kinda sold me on this. He sounds like someone who really loves making games and I want to support him and the 4 other people who worked on this.

Top Bottom