• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Haunted: Hell's Reach |OT| Uncensored in Germany!

ScHlAuChi said:
As i got 3 correct answers in a very short time, we have 3 winners:

hypodrmage
MTMBStudios
Vincent Alexander

Check your PMs!
Much appreciated. I'll play the crap out of The Haunted.

ScHlAuChi said:
We support modding right out of the box - you can create maps for Haunted from Day1 :)
And I'll definetely look into this. Pretty excited for October 25th.

R1CHO

Bad news... looks like the game is already cracked, how is this posible? Review copy, beta copy? Its just on steam isnt it?

ScHlAuChi

R1CHO said:
Bad news... looks like the game is already cracked, how is this posible? Review copy, beta copy? Its just on steam isnt it?

It seems to be identical with the gold master PC retail version which is like 1 month old.
We did update/change quite abit for the final release, so dont judge it from that version guys :)

ScHlAuChi

The game was just released, so i thought i make another video that shows how a i beat a full round in hard mode (contains boss spoilers):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58vpP65mRb8

We will also do a IRC release party and give away a few keys - just join our IRC channel at around 18:00 CET - you can either use the chat on our website or use a client:
irc.quakenet.org - #HauntedGame

Maybe one of the admins can change this thread into the offical |OT|?
That would be helpful :)

ScHlAuChi

bishoptl said:
There you go, done and done. Congratulations, btw!

Thanks, the only thing that is raining on our parade are those damn crackers that released a multiplayer patch for the cracked version :p

Also there is one important thing i want to make clear - Haunted is not just some simple stupid shooter eventho thats waht all the current videos on YT of the cracked release make out of it.

Its not just shooting, its also heavily melee based, watch the video i posted to see that :)
Thats pretty important, and maybe someone can make a nicer OT post with better shots and links :)

The M.O.B

So it's out now huh, unfortunately with BF3 about to take away a lot of my time, i'll probably come back to this one after the holidays.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
This game is fucking awesome once you learn how to play it. Well done.

Though, you really need to set it up so you can spawn the dudes who join games mid-wave. It's annoying to have to wait 5-10 minutes just to start playing.

ScHlAuChi

BobsRevenge said:
Though, you really need to set it up so you can spawn the dudes who join games mid-wave. It's annoying to have to wait 5-10 minutes just to start playing.

Yep we know about this issue and will adress it in a future patch :)

ScHlAuChi

BobsRevenge said:
This game is fucking awesome once you learn how to play it. Well done.
Nope, sorry - its a crap game according to Gamespot:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/the-haunted-hells-reach/review.html

"As much as The Haunted: Hell's Reach looks like a run-and-gun shooter, it's more of a slower-paced hybrid that forces you to ditch the guns for brawling charges and roundhouse kicks. Oddly, melee doesn't get good until you drop to 10 health, when a rage mechanic fires up and you can turn enemies into a thick red goo with a single boot"

Really Gamespot, REALLY? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58vpP65mRb8
Thanks for this "professional" review that shows you didnt play more than one round :)

We are aware that its not GameSpots fault alone, as we failed to make the game explain all those mechanics more clearly - but still i expect from so called "professional reviewers" with several years of experience to be able to figure the game out!

ScHlAuChi

Obligatory:

Adfs3.jpg

I got the 4 pack and have been playing a couple of hours.
The game is a bit like Killing Floor with 4 waves of enemies that get progressively harder. There are no classes or perks but you can get better weapons by killing enough enemies.
The game is kind of hard, even on easy. I still haven't managed to beat the boss.

ScHlAuChi

Spectacular Dr Dawg said:
The game is kind of hard, even on easy. I still haven't managed to beat the boss.

We tone down the difficulty a little in a future patch, and to find out how to beat the boss check my vid :)

ScHlAuChi said:
We tone down the difficulty a little in a future patch, and to find out how to beat the boss check my vid :)
Thanks.I don't mind a challenge but I did lose some of my dignity when I couldn't even beat it on easy haha. The game is fun though, I hope the community doesn't die too soon.
Is the 60 fps limit a UE3 thing or a dev thing? I have 120hz monitor and would like to play at over 60 fps but the game stays locked at 60 even without vsync.

ScHlAuChi

Spectacular Dr Dawg said:
Thanks.I don't mind a challenge but I did lose some of my dignity when I couldn't even beat it on easy haha. The game is fun though, I hope the community doesn't die too soon.
Is the 60 fps limit a UE3 thing or a dev thing? I have 120hz monitor and would like to play at over 60 fps but the game stays locked at 60 even without vsync.

Its a dev thing, you can set it in the ini to whatever you want :)

ScHlAuChi

Looks like IGN reviewed us too now, here are the highlights:

IGN: "There are a number of decent looking, powerful melee moves (perhaps too powerful – more on that later) which would be more fun to use if executing them wasn't so awkward."

The same IGN gave RE5 a 9, a game with the most ackward controls ever!

IGN: "Some combos require pressing four keys in sequence which, for many of us, requires looking down at the keyboard"

And they really get paid to review games? :p

Seems like you guys got absolutely shafted over the release schedule in terms of exposure and reviewers. How is the sales holding up.?

Also would you guys consider adding in some sort of "amount to kill" slider or something to allow the rounds to be shorter or longer?

ScHlAuChi

Seems like you guys got absolutely shafted over the release schedule in terms of exposure and reviewers. How is the sales holding up.?

Seems like it, most of the reviewers didnt seem to have spendt more than 10 mins with it and completely missed the point of the game - which to be fair was partly our own fault due to lack of handholding - we assumed people would be smart enough to figure it out - but they werent - so we added tutorial messages now. As for sales, the leaderboards are a good indicator, but the numbers are a little disappointing, the unfair reviews probably didnt help there ;)

Maybe we should have made it into just another FPS with no "complex" melee system to be more successful and getting better scores :p

Also would you guys consider adding in some sort of "amount to kill" slider or something to allow the rounds to be shorter or longer?

Its already possible via editing DefaultGame.ini, but maybe we add it to the UI.
Its not really high priority right now, we are busy working on a levelling system, as alot of people asked for it.

Its already possible via editing DefaultGame.ini, but maybe we add it to the UI.
Its not really high priority right now, we are busy working on a levelling system, as alot of people asked for it.
The steam forum got to you I see. Are you going to make the persistent leveling actually affect gameplay ("perks" or whatever) - or nothing but aesthetic stuff? Hopefully you guys get some longtail sales through discounts. After the leveling system you should try to get a free weekend going or something.

Also can you consider making the game work on the Steam Server Browser? It would enhance the online playability greatly (for people who actually know about the Steam Server Browser). I think it helps prolong the playerbase by lowering the user barrier to entry to start playing. It is a really useful tool to see how many people are playing in like 5 seconds. Taking the time to boot up the game and seeing no one playing is a permanent turn off to most people.

ScHlAuChi

The steam forum got to you I see. Are you going to make the persistent leveling actually affect gameplay ("perks" or whatever) - or nothing but aesthetic stuff? Hopefully you guys get some longtail sales through discounts. After the leveling system you should try to get a free weekend going or something.

Yep, levelling system and then free weekend, thats the plan.
We will try to do a system that is persistent but doesnt affect gameplay too much.
For example all weapons can be upgraded permanently in the same way as they were in Resident Evil 4, faster reload, bigger clip, etc... but you still need to get them ingame like usual, just that they are a little bit better then.
That and aesthetic stuff of course.

Also can you consider making the game work on the Steam Server Browser? It would enhance the online playability greatly (for people who actually know about the Steam Server Browser). I think it helps prolong the playerbase by lowering the user barrier to entry to start playing. It is a really useful tool to see how many people are playing in like 5 seconds. Taking the time to boot up the game and seeing no one playing is a permanent turn off to most people.

I dont know if we can, but we will look into it :)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Seems like it, most of the reviewers didnt seem to have spendt more than 10 mins with it and completely missed the point of the game - which to be fair was partly our own fault due to lack of handholding - we assumed people would be smart enough to figure it out - but they werent - so we added tutorial messages now. As for sales, the leaderboards are a good indicator, but the numbers are a little disappointing, the unfair reviews probably didnt help there ;)

Maybe we should have made it into just another FPS with no "complex" melee system to be more successful and getting better scores :p

you are not the only one who got shafted for this. Metro 2033 devs explained in recent interviews how they carefully modelled bullet impact to the armor and helmet, so "usual" ammo were worthless for armored enemies while "premium" ammo which are game's currency would do the work and thus it would become a strategic choice to use appropriate ammunition + they made seams between helmets and armor easily penetrable so you could one shot enemies if you aim right.

But they decided not to explain it everywhere because they thought that players would have more fun to figure it out themselves.

In the end almost everybody complained about bullet-sponge enemies.

ScHlAuChi

But they decided not to explain it everywhere because they thought that players would have more fun to figure it out themselves.

Yes its kinda tragic that nowadays you have to handhold and spoonfeed players.

Especially PC players who are the ones that always complain how games are getting dumbed down from console - but in the end it turned out that the majority of them were not even able to figure out the simplest move combinations like sprint + melee or evade + melee which is so simple to find out by just trying that its unbelieveable they didnt. Instead they just slammed the game for being too hard, when all they ever did was press the fire button and spam the roundhouse kick....

It seems games like CoD have conditioned players so much that anything that requires more than just shooting will overburden them :/

i got the game via steams sale and it's pretty fun. my complaints right now are:

1. why isn't there a leader board or at least a local high score board for each level? kind of weird since it gives me my score after the level
2. the mele weapon animations are weak. its just kind of a half swing and boom their heads are cut off

definitely worth $10 but i wish it did have a leaderboard/scoreboard of some type (unless i'm just missing it)

ScHlAuChi

There is Steam Leaderboards, if thats what you mean.

As for the melee weapon animations, we know they are far from great, but thats all we have :(

Deadbeat

Banned
Especially PC players who are the ones that always complain how games are getting dumbed down from console - but in the end it turned out that the majority of them were not even able to figure out the simplest move combinations like sprint + melee or evade + melee which is so simple to find out by just trying that its unbelieveable they didnt. Instead they just slammed the game for being too hard, when all they ever did was press the fire button and spam the roundhouse kick....
You come off like High Voltage and the Conduit for the wii. The attitude the devs gave off is that wii owners should be grateful for this game and buy it, even though its not that good of a game. Any valid criticisms or concerns are "invalidated" because its catering to hardcore gamers somehow even though its mediocre.

If you want to know how to take a free mod and polish it well enough to be worth 20 dollars you should go talk to tripwire about killing floor. Perhaps you could learn some things before sharpening those knives and pointing the blame at others.

ScHlAuChi

You come off like High Voltage and the Conduit for the wii. The attitude the devs gave off is that wii owners should be grateful for this game and buy it, even though its not that good of a game. Any valid criticisms or concerns are "invalidated" because its catering to hardcore gamers somehow even though its mediocre.

I think you completely misinterpreted my post!
Haunted is an indie game made by less than 5 people and not a full expensive production like Conduit! While some criticism is valid and is being adressed by us, it does not change the fact that our steam statistics show that the majority of PC players are unable to do more than just press the Fire button. This indicates that the audience on PC nowadays is alot more casual than we assumed and alot more handholding is/was needed. I dont really understand how people arent even able to figure out the most basic and simple combinations just by simply trying :)

If you want to know how to take a free mod and polish it well enough to be worth 20 dollars you should go talk to tripwire about killing floor. Perhaps you could learn some things before sharpening those knives and pointing the blame at others.

You are comparing apples and oranges here, they are both completely different games. Haunted is quite abit more complex than KillingFloor, what works for KF does not necessarily work for our game, but you probably did not play it or you would know that. Regardless of that, Killing Floor is the worst example you could have chosen as the market has changed. Release Killing Floor in 2011 and it would be a flop because the best timing for "Zombie" games is already gone due to the flood of competitors.

i wasn't a big fan of killing floor. i don't know why it didn't click with me... maybe i'm tired of FPS.

haunted is definitely a quality game. the things that it lacks are what you would expect from an indie game but i liked a lot of the things they tried and considering this is an indie game it is very high quality. it's really a distant cousin to the resident evil 4 mercenaries mode. i'm not saying it's as good as that but it probably explains why i like it

ScHlAuChi

Yep the RE Mercenaries mode was the main inspiration behind it.
Throw in some elements from Godhand and Vanquish and you get Haunted.
If you play Haunted like KillingFloor with just shooting, then you wont have a very pleasent experience.

Dambrosi

Banned
Yes its kinda tragic that nowadays you have to handhold and spoonfeed players.

It seems games like CoD have conditioned players so much that anything that requires more than just shooting will overburden them :/

Oh come on, what the hell do you expect?

There are far too many good games available nowadays, so much so that not only is the gamer spoiled for choice, the amount of time a gamer has to give a game a fair shake has decreased greatly since even last gen.

More to the point, people play games like Haunted to chill out, switch off their brains, and kill some virtual splatterbags. They often do this to wind down after a heavy day of work or study, and don't want to think about things. ANY things. Thinking hurts, ScHlAuChi. You should know this, you're a programmer, aren't you? :p

So the average player, brain switched to neutral and Mountain Dew* in offhand, doesn't want to think about how to most efficiently use your obtuse melee system after a hard day of thinking - their head likely hurts enough as is. They want to be taught what to do, and how and when to do it, at least once so that they can get the hang of it and it can become muscle memory. Just plain not telling the player that they can get different attacks by pressing [Evade] + [Melee] or [Sprint] + [Melee] just because you think the player is somehow psychic and can read your minds (or can be bothered to read the instructions before playing :p) is, frankly, poor form.

Thankfully, you've remedied that particular problem, but you still seem to not get the point - that games are meant to be fun. Games - hell, any programs or devices - are meant to serve the user, not the maker! Got it?**

* Gamer stereotype, I know. Substitute any drink you wish; I certainly wouldn't touch Mountain Dew with a ten foot pole, it's horrible chemical swill.

** tongue firmly lodged in cheek here lads, pleasedon'tbanme.jpg

Top Bottom