• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Zaptruder

Banned
As I said, I don't know how good the dead reckoning is. I don't know how quickly they get out of sync, and how soon that becomes noticeable.

Apparently double integration with just IMUs will cause drift in the order of meters per second.

Which is why error correcting every 1/60 to 1/100 second is ok!

dumbo

I don't see how, just have it so that when you press a bumper you jump to the block you're looking at. So in a corridor you clear away block in front of you, hit bumper, jump forward, clear blocks, hit bumper, jump forward. All you're doing is replacing the time it takes to walk with a quick cut, I don't see how that dramatically breaks anything or makes it significantly less fun.
If you're mining 40 blocks forwards, that would start to get really annoying, really quickly (mine, mine, look down, jump to spot, look back up, mine, mine etc). On PC without VR a player can basically churn through rocks like a drilling machine - having to jump every square would be very slow.

Combat in minecraft/teleportation would also be silly, and exploration wouldn't feel that great either.

I think it's possible to make a great 'minecraft-like' VR game, but you'd probably start with making a world 'work' in VR and go from there.

Apparently double integration with just IMUs will cause drift in the order of meters per second.

Which is why error correcting every 1/60 to 1/100 second is ok!

I'm sure we'll have a very good idea what PSVR can and can't do in a few hours :)

I wonder how much you could correct given that you'll know where the headset is when the player is facing away, so you could definitely constrain the move controllers within a particular space relative to that.

If you're mining 40 blocks forwards, that would start to get really annoying, really quickly (mine, mine, look down, jump to spot, look back up, mine, mine etc). On PC without VR a player can basically churn through rocks like a drilling machine - having to jump every square would be very slow.

Combat in minecraft/teleportation would also be silly, and exploration wouldn't feel that great either.

I think it's possible to make a great 'minecraft-like' VR game, but you'd probably start with making a world 'work' in VR and go from there.

You're right, you can't make it great without designing with VR in mind from the start, so compromises have to be made. A teleportation mechanic that might get annoying is a better compromise than being sick, for those effected by that. Plus you could always resort to analog stick movement in a tight, claustrophobic mining environment. Movement would be kept to a minimum; even the Polygon guy said he felt fine when in a cave.

Cartman86

Banned
I don't see how, just have it so that when you press a bumper you jump to the block you're looking at. So in a corridor you clear away block in front of you, hit bumper, jump forward, clear blocks, hit bumper, jump forward. All you're doing is replacing the time it takes to walk with a quick cut, I don't see how that dramatically breaks anything or makes it significantly less fun.

The guy who made Garry's Mode made a VR demo (don't know if he's making it into a real product) called Chunks that is basically a Minecraft ripoff that uses teleportation and resizing of the user. Perfect for creative mode in Minecraft at least.

Zaptruder

Banned
I'm sure we'll have a very good idea what PSVR can and can't do in a few hours :)

I wonder how much you could correct given that you'll know where the headset is when the player is facing away, so you could definitely constrain the move controllers within a particular space relative to that.

Hmmm. Maybe. Some sort of IK rig. But I don't think it'll work too well given that the possible space it could be in without direct camera tracking is fairly large...

I think the real trick is that developers will have to figure out a way to get some turning happening for VR that's seamless and not too motion sickness inducing. There are methods.

I was hoping for some sort of update on my Rift by now.

I should be in the first batch.

I just updated my credit card information and am hoping they don't suddenly cancel my order because the billing and shipping address no longer match (both are in the same state, though). Only 13 more days to go! I really hope it is at least two-day shipping.

We're expecting a BOAT load of Oculus news tomorrow. AFAIK no one has received an update on their orders yet.

I am assuming tomorrow is only regarding their launch lineup that was revealed on Sunday but I am hoping shipping updates come with that.

We are less than a fortnight away.

pj

Banned
They use software to eliminate the unimportant light. They just ignore anything that doesn't fit a specific RGB range. They've been doing that since the PS2. The "new" twist is making the Nerf-ball-on-a-Bic self-illuminate, so it's always the color they want, and largely immune to other lights shining on it, unlike a real Nerf ball.

And just as with real constellations, they may be hiding among the stars. Similarly, the Move wand may not be the only glowing, purple sphere the camera can see, but if that turns out to be the case, they can just switch to blue instead. So while Oculus may be less likely to encounter interference in the first place, their fixed-wavelength system doesn't really have any way to compensate when they do.

Actually, I was just speculating as to why they used such small markers, given the fact that they're harder to track with a camera. Turns out, while you can make IR bulbs, it's not terribly efficient. These guys use seven IR LEDs to make a marker ~27mm across, and that only doubles the effective tracking range versus a single LED.
http://www.ar-tracking.com/technology/markers/

So I was basically right; it doesn't really work very well. And you're right, it's not particularly attractive either. :p

Sure, and as discussed, Move's magnetometer worked similarly well in Sony's simulated real-world environments too. The real world doesn't play as nicely though. You already admitted this, so I'm not sure why you're trying to imply otherwise here.

The real point is though, even at that fairly close range pictured, the individual markers don't cover very many pixels, so they shrink to nothingness comparatively quickly. Bigger targets are better, and making bigger targets is easier — and prettier, yes — when you're using visible light, because you can diffuse it more effectively.

Why do you think oculus went the way they did if large visible spectrum color tracking markers are better? Why would they make it so much more complicated than is apparently necessary?

Cartman86

Banned
I like ILM's solution for audio - don't bother with headphones, just have a dedicated room with speakers all around.

edit: When is the embargo up on the Oculus event this past weekend?

I think the only official information we have is Wednesday. GDC show floor opens at 10 AM I think so maybe around then?

Sky Chief

Eventually they are going to need to find a way to make games like Minecraft play in both room scale format and sit down. It's not going to be one or the other. A lot of people who want to play Minecraft VR won't have room scale options so there is going to need to be away to handle it with a controller without getting people sick. For those that can do room scale, that option will eventually need to be there on the Oculus platform or it needs to be playable in Vive.

Not really, why does every type of game need to be shoehorned into VR?

Not really, why does every type of game need to be shoehorned into VR?

Who said every type of game?

Minecraft is a huge IP and if it can be successfully executed in VR why wouldn't you do it? Why wouldn't we apply those methods to other games if we had that option? What would it take away from people who don't use VR?

I am assuming tomorrow is only regarding their launch lineup that was revealed on Sunday but I am hoping shipping updates come with that.

We are less than a fortnight away.

Palmer said they were demoing loads of Touch stuff at GDC, which starts tomorrow. Launch impressions will also drop as those have been embargoed until tomorrow for the retail Rift and final versions of launch games, but they're still going to be at GDC with a bunch more stuff beyond that.

So yes, BOATLOADS of news tomorrow. Embargoed launch stuff + GDC stuff.

Here is Vive Minecraft tangentially done via a game called chunks. https://youtu.be/KWjqzgUVHzw(edit- I see this was already posted. Oh well. )

I think the virtual living room setup is the best route to go. And have a living item that you can place in game to be where you're sitting in the virtual living room. So you can literally build your living room around yourself.

Here is Vive Minecraft tangentially done via a game called chunks. https://youtu.be/KWjqzgUVHzw(edit- I see this was already posted. Oh well. )

I think the virtual living room setup is the best route to go. And have a living item that you can place in game to be where you're sitting in the virtual living room. So you can literally build your living room around yourself.

amazing how a small dev can make some shit as amazing as this looked to play while the Minecraft team with all of their resources continue to struggle.

Here is another block based toy for the Vive. Some of the scaling that happens in this demo is ludicrously impressive near the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbXieYRvgwo

O_O

amaze

artsi

amazing how a small dev can make some shit as amazing as this looked to play while the Minecraft team with all of their resources continue to struggle.

To be fair, the Minecraft VR functionality was apparently made by one Mojang guy with John Carmack consulting / helping.

But yeah, it's pretty awesome.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
do we expect Oculus to not only be showing launch games, but also games coming for touch? Seems like it would make sense for them to try and provide a counter to vive regarding motion control support. Even if people have to wait 6 months to get hold of it, it would reassure many who currently have oculus preorders, and try and prevent many from cancelling (especially when Vive currently has a much shorter waitlist)

Ionic

do we expect Oculus to not only be showing launch games, but also games coming for touch? Seems like it would make sense for them to try and provide a counter to vive regarding motion control support. Even if people have to wait 6 months to get hold of it, it would reassure many who currently have oculus preorders, and try and prevent many from cancelling (especially when Vive currently has a much shorter waitlist)

Oculus showed a bunch of games behind closed doors that apparently included Touch titles. We'll hear more tomorrow once the embargo lifts.

It's confirmed that they're showing Touch stuff. We will likely get to see what design tweaks they made to it, too.

Yes, I think they will be showing some Touch titles (I read some tweet about it).

TTP and Klaw, I'll get back to you guys on tracking implementation after the PSVR stuff dies down. Sorry, but I've been sorta busy, so I wasn't really as clear as I could've been. <3

Clever, but doesn't the fact that the constellation needs to twinkle, "Yes, it's really us," in Morse code simply support my argument that they won't be the only stars in the sky, and further serve as yet another example of shit Sony ain't gotta do?

Which would present an enormous problem when attempting to do room scale tracking.
As I was saying, they can boost the LED output to help compensate. Sure, Vive will cover more edge cases, but Rift's range isn't too far off from what HTC list, IIRC. Once they add the second camera, it should be able to do a reasonably good job at room-scale.

Why do you think oculus went the way they did if large visible spectrum color tracking markers are better? Why would they make it so much more complicated than is apparently necessary?
Hard to say. I imagine a large part of it was simply not wanting to be immediately identifiable as a clone of Sony's solution, especially after they explained the delay in revealing a tracking solution by claiming it would be leagues ahead of what anyone else was doing. Plus, Sony's very use of color was widely mocked among "real" gamers; they'd never touch Sony's ghey dildo, so it's probably not a good idea for their hero to try and hand them one.

Possibly some other reasons, I suppose, but nothing technical springs to mind, apart from maybe some genuine NIH; basically I've just heard about workarounds they've come up with to make their IR markers easier to spot. I mostly just know what people tell me about on here though. Marks said visible light was a little easier to work with, and pointed to the additional LEDs as simple evidence of this. I've mentioned it here, but I've just been offered the workarounds they've implemented as evidence their system is "more sophisticated" than Sony's, but it just sounds more complicated is all. Now that I've actually done a little thinking and research on the subject, IR being more challenging overall does make sense.

You'd need to ask them why they thought IR would be better, I guess.
/shrug

Metal B

Because of the Minecraft thread i had a question: Is there some knowledge, if walking on the spot has a goof neutralizing effect on Motion Sickness. I only read, that it can help, but no real information, if it actually does anything. Not specific in combination with a control stick, more general.

Mindlog

Minecraft needs a VR cart. Let players make a small self-powered cart. Job's done.
Clever, but doesn't the fact that the constellation needs to twinkle, "Yes, it's really us," in Morse code simply support my argument that they won't be the only stars in the sky, and further serve as yet another example of shit Sony ain't gotta do?
How is that any different from other solutions having to 'match the wavelength of the light?'
As I was saying, they can boost the LED output to help compensate. Sure, Vive will cover more edge cases, but Rift's range isn't too far off from what HTC list, IIRC. Once they add the second camera, it should be able to do a reasonably good job at room-scale.
So the 'comparative quickness' with which the LEDs become difficult to track is 'largely irrelevant?'

Sakujou

Banned
i think oculus is the best one, psvr the most inferior one.

why?
well have a look: we had sony with their ps move,which was inferior to the wii mote (recalibrating everytime you start the game, neccessity of the camera)
we had ps cam which also is not as good as kinect, never was used as such and well, was sort of shown as such.
and last but not least the last addition such as the light in the ds4 shows that sony somehow lost it when it comes to additional hardware.

so i have high hopes for oculus, but ps-vr seems not as good...

on the other hand... well i will buy all three in the end :(

Top Bottom