• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

artsi

Some Oculus Store / Library screenshots.

https://static.oculus.com/documents/oculus-store-art-guidelines.pdf

1SUDW1U.png

9UBLNaV.png

Needs more JPEG though.

I'm trying to talk myself out of preordering a PSVR now. Hah. But plagiarize, sure you have no money now, but Amazon don't ship until October. You could always just cancel it before it ships!

No inner voice. Bad inner voice. We need a house and mortgage. Can't play VR if all your shit is in storage and you're sleeping on the floor somewhere.

Durante

I do find it strange how many people seem disinterested in room scale and touch/move. To me, VR without those are far less interesting. What's the deal? Are the people not interested in roomscale just those without the required space? Is it a worry that the core games we already love will become less common? Or are they the skeptics that haven't tried it yet?
Two things:

1. People don't have the space -- or rather don't want to make the space.
2. They haven't tried room-scale yet, so they don't realize how big of a difference it is.

Beyond that, I agree with you. I've had a DK2 for a year+, and the presence is definitely HOLY SHIT good but the first thing I always want to do is get up and actually BE in the space. Every time I realize that I'm tethered to the seat holding a controller, the illusion breaks.
Yeah, if anything, almost 3 years of "seated/standing" VR between DK1 and DK2 have driven home for me how much I really want room-scale tracking -- and that's before having tried it! I think people might actually come to a similar conclusion eventually with enough VR experience.

It looks to me like all 3 VR systems (PSVR, Rift, Vive) are fairly priced for what you get.
They are.

It's very rare in technology that you pay such a close price to what things actually cost. All involved players seem to see getting into the market early as enough of an incentive to not charge outrageous markups at this point.

Really? I thought I had read that PSVR has no noticeable SDE.
The very post I was replying to there was primarily a concern about SDE on PSVR by someone who tried it ;)
You can find reports for each of the HMDs that SDE is either a non-issue or horrifying. The impression that the Rift CV1 might have a small edge is just from an aggregate of all of those.

Paganmoon

The very post I was replying to there was primarily a concern about SDE on PSVR by someone who tried it ;)
You can find reports for each of the HMDs that SDE is either a non-issue or horrifying. The impression that the Rift CV1 might have a small edge is just from an aggregate of all of those.

I think a lot of people are conflating seeing the pixels (being so close to the display), with SDE, so it's hard to tell what some mean when they say SDE.

Yeah, if anything, almost 3 years of "seated/standing" VR between DK1 and DK2 have driven home for me how much I really want room-scale tracking -- and that's before having tried it! I think people might actually come to a similar conclusion eventually with enough VR experience.

I expect to still want all the experiences, but I also expect that I'll feel like I'm missing out without room scale. I really don't want to have to remodel the house we're in the process of buying though. And 'suitable VR playspace' is not enough of a thing to prevent this house being the perfect fit for my wife and I.

Sorry honey, you have to drive thirty minute more to work so I can have a big enough empty room.

Yeah. Not doing that.

Holy crap, just watched this video by Anton Hand where he demos a shotgun and a pistol being physically loaded with the motion controllers. Super impressive stuff even though it's just a tech demo sort of thing. I can't wait to see this sort of stuff implemented in a game.

Checkout how he closes the shotgun using the table at 5:40 instead of using his other hand like he does the rest of the time, or how he catches the ejected shells, or how you can slide the magazine into the gun. I love this sort of attention to detail being simulated.

That video demonstrates quite well what I don't like about the Vive controller - it treats the end of the controller as the end of your hand, which feels a bit weird as the controller is quite long.

artsi

That video demonstrates quite well what I don't like about the Vive controller - it treats the end of the controller as the end of your hand, which feels a bit weird as the controller is quite long.

Yeah, in theory at least I think I'll like the Touch more for closer hand contact to the objects you're grabbing.

But let's see what they'll show tomorrow.

Also shopping for a new home with my girlfriend and I keep joking about having a VR room and she laughs... and laughs... and laughs.

Yeah, room scale just isn't in the cards for me and I imagine for a lot of people. I want it to exist and for devs to support it but I am curious about how many people will be able to use it to full effect.

Yeah, in theory at least I think I'll like the Touch more for closer hand contact to the objects you're grabbing.

Yeah. The closer a controller gets to making you feel like your hands are in the world while still giving you some some more complex inputs through sticks and buttons, the better.
The Vive controller worked fine when I used it since the tracking was totally accurate, but you never quite forgot about them being there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I expect to still want all the experiences, but I also expect that I'll feel like I'm missing out without room scale. I really don't want to have to remodel the house we're in the process of buying though. And 'suitable VR playspace' is not enough of a thing to prevent this house being the perfect fit for my wife and I.

Sorry honey, you have to drive thirty minute more to work so I can have a big enough empty room.

Yeah. Not doing that.

In front of my desk would literally be standing room only - and even then I'd risk hitting my desk playing fruit ninja

Next to my PC but in the same room I might be able to get a 2x2m space but still tight.

My living room would have the most space but I'd have to lug the PC in and the lighthouses, and push the sofa and coffee table back. That'd give me around a 4x3m space but it'd be a pain to do

I think that's where PSVR will work well - it's already in my living room so relatively easier to make space for it. And I have moves already.

But isn't that something the developer can change?
To some degree, but the shape and size of the Vive controller is always going to be a bit of an obstacle to making it truly feel like your hands are just there. The same will be true of any controller, but it seems like Touch is going to be better in that regard.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Also shopping for a new home with my girlfriend and I keep joking about having a VR room and she laughs... and laughs... and laughs.

Yeah, room scale just isn't in the cards for me and I imagine for a lot of people. I want it to exist and for devs to support it but I am curious about how many people will be able to use it to full effect.

I think a cinema room isn't a crazy option these days. Just make sure the cinema seating has wheels on for easy movement and you can have a cinema/VR space

HowZatOZ

Banned
Holy crap, just watched this video by Anton Hand where he demos a shotgun and a pistol being physically loaded with the motion controllers. Super impressive stuff even though it's just a tech demo sort of thing. I can't wait to see this sort of stuff implemented in a game.

Checkout how he closes the shotgun using the table at 5:40 instead of using his other hand like he does the rest of the time, or how he catches the ejected shells, or how you can slide the magazine into the gun. I love this sort of attention to detail being simulated.

Holy shit he caught a shell. Mind blown. God damn VR has progressed so much since my original dev kit, can not fucking wait.

taoofjord

To some degree, but the shape and size of the Vive controller is always going to be a bit of an obstacle to making it truly feel like your hands are just there. The same will be true of any controller, but it seems like Touch is going to be better in that regard.

Ah, I see why you mean. I'm looking forward to seeing how leap motion turns out. That could be really cool.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm starting to feel like software is going to mostly be nothing but shallow experiences.

I already am sold on the tech. I'm not sold on software. I say this as a Vive pre order

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I really expected it to ship with Move controllers.

It would suck for the Vive to be the only VR platform which actually ships with VR controllers out of the box. That just makes it more likely for developers to not be able to design completely around the assumption of having tracked VR controls available.

My ideal scenario was that PSVR would include move controllers and that the Rift would be the only system left without default VR controllers, and that Oculus would rectify that shortly after the Touch release.

:/

This is my main concern for VR now. 2 out of 3 big HDMs don't come with the motion controllers as standard. Which makes the potential market only a subset of the total VR market which won't be that huge anyhow in the following year.

Still is unfortunate. Not only for the games that are built totally around motion controls but also for the probability for motion controls to be one of the available control schemes even for the other games.

The main hope now is that Vive and Touch will sell good enough to still motivate the developers.

Monger

I think it's just going to depend on what you're doing in the game at the time. Living with them for a while is probably the only way to know what will end up working better. Valve had a similar design to Touch called Cutlass that they didn't end up using for whatever reason. Tested

The bigger difference in the controllers are the ergonomics of how you hold them. Vive's controller isn't as clunky as a PVC pipe, and I wouldn't call it a wand. You grip it as you would a TV remote or angled pistol grip on a rifle. That makes it comfortable to use for VR shooters or experiences where you're picking up fire torches--objects you would normally grip between your finger and inner palm. Two grip buttons sit on the left and right sides of the controller. The Oculus Touch controller, however, sits in your hand differently, and has a different gripping action. You hold Touch the way you would Nintendo Wii's Nunchuck accessory--it nests inside your hand like the left or right sides of an Xbox gamepad. In other words, unlike Vive's controllers, they're chiral-- there's a controller for the right hand and one for the left. Chirality in itself doesn't make Touch more ergonomic, though. Oculus has designed it so your hands are in more of a neutral resting post while holding them, which may be more conducive to long-term use.

Additionally, the grip button on Touch isn't at on the sides of the controller, but on the front, under your middle finger. The gripping action is done by squeezing your middle finger toward your palm. In both Vive and Touch demos, gripping felt intuitive, but not completely natural. Think about how you pick up a book, or a pencil off your desk. You likely grab it between your fingers and thumbs; you carry it by cupping it in your palm. Try grabbing the spine of a book with just your palm or by squeezing it between the lower parts of your fingers. It's not difficult, but still a little weird. The visuals shown in-game will help compensate for any awkwardness, but we'll have to see over time if finger and hand actions will feel right in VR with these controllers.

I know a lot of developers are using the trigger to pick things up with the Vive so may end up doing the same with Touch.

Starviper

I am heavily reconsidering my Oculus pre-order largely in part because of the front-camera on the Vive. I want to be able to walk around, interact with objects, and not risk smashing right into something because I had no idea it was there.

What's the general consensus between the Oculus and the Vive?

Zalusithix

The PC solution -could- have higher resolution and supersampling, but the machines that will be able to manage that are few and far inbetween, I don't think there are 40 million TitanX/980ti/FuryX out there.

You should compare the specs of the headsets as is, and not with whats attached/running it, as on the PC side it could be anything from a 970 to Titan X in SLI.

The point was that it even if the headsets were exactly the same, the PC would look cleaner when rendering the same scene. Minimum PC recommendations for VR exceed that of the PS4 handily. It doesn't take a 980ti to reach that point. This makes the comparison of specs between PSVR and the PC options rather academic in nature. The differences (or lack thereof) will not be accurately reflected in the end visual result. The box behind them is going to matter more.

Now optics, on the other hand, can make a discernible difference on the HMD side, but you can't really compare specs on that. =P

Anyhow, I don't really want this to be construed as a PSVR vs OR/Vive slugfest. I was just bringing up facts without the intent to disparage. I think PSVR is a good thing. It wont match PC solutions on a visual fidelity standpoint, but that's just one aspect of the nascent medium that is VR.

Oculus is sit down, Vive is stand up. Thats the primary difference.
Its odd, i agree. But there it is.
Vive is both.

viveks86

This is such a cool video! Can't wait for survival horror games where there are no quick reload buttons

Oculus is sit down, Vive is stand up. Thats the primary difference.
Its odd, i agree. But there it is.

No.

Oculus - Sit down (until Touch controllers hit the market, then stand up and walk around).

Vive - Sit down, stand up, walk around at launch.

Sitting down in a Vive is just the same as sitting down in a Rift. If you were under the impression that Vive was only for full room VR, you've been misled.

Metal B

Because of the Minecraft thread i had a question: Is there some knowledge, if walking on the spot has a good neutralizing effect on Motion Sickness. I only read, that it can help, but no real information, if it actually does anything. Not specific in combination with a control stick, more general.
Is there an answer to my question or is no answer also an answer?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I am heavily reconsidering my Oculus pre-order largely in part because of the front-camera on the Vive. I want to be able to walk around, interact with objects, and not risk smashing right into something because I had no idea it was there.

What's the general consensus between the Oculus and the Vive?

Valve is introducing chaperone system for the rift too

Starviper

No.

Oculus - Sit down (until Touch controllers hit the market, then stand up and walk around).

Vive - Sit down, stand up, walk around at launch.

Sitting down in a Vive is just the same as sitting down in a Rift. If you were under the impression that Vive was only for full room VR, you've been misled.

I think my issue with this is that even with their Touch controllers i'm unsure how well room scale VR will work. I've seen a number of tech demos where they're walking around using Vive headsets. Have they released anything similar for the Oculus?

Wag

I'll be using VR seated at my computer desk. There is literally no more room on it, so if these headsets don't work well seated, I won't be buying one.

I think most people will want to use them seated.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Asked this in the other thread but i thought i would ask here too.

I have a beast computer with two 980tis. How many years until i can play Witcher 3 on ultra at 1080p on a movie theater screen without any noticible differences in IQ from doing so in real life?

In other words, how long will i have to wait for the in vr experience to equal the same experience in real life?

cakefoo

Is there an answer to my question or is no answer also an answer?
I don't think that would help much if any. They say that it's the acceleration-- the point at which you begin moving through space-- that causes sickness. Which makes a lot of sense. Accelerating a car from 0 to whatever, you feel forced back against your seat. But once you reach a steady speed, it feels like you're sitting still.

Melon Husk

I have a beast computer with two 980tis. How many years until i can play Witcher 3 on ultra at 1080p on a movie theater screen without any noticible differences in IQ from doing so in real life?

In other words, how long will i have to wait for the in vr experience to equal the same experience in real life?

Depends on the size of the screen of course.

Doing some napkin math here: assume 35° angle for an average movie theatre screen. Your average HMD as a 110° field of view. You want full 1080p inside that 35°. We're looking at a minimum of 3240p (6K) display here.

You'll be waiting until the very end of this decade if lucky.

Metal B

You can play Witcher 3 on Ultra and 1080p already on a movie theater screen. You just need the screen and a big place to put it in.

According to Abrash, 5K per eye would deliver the same pixel density as a monitor at a normal viewing distance. So yeah, we're quite far off.

Cartman86

Banned
I don't think that would help much if any. They say that it's the acceleration-- the point at which you begin moving through space-- that causes sickness. Which makes a lot of sense. Accelerating a car from 0 to whatever, you feel forced back against your seat. But once you reach a steady speed, it feels like you're sitting still.

Yep it doesn't help.

Monger

I think my issue with this is that even with their Touch controllers i'm unsure how well room scale VR will work. I've seen a number of tech demos where they're walking around using Vive headsets. Have they released anything similar for the Oculus?

I think everyone's hoping they talk more about that this week. So far the public line has been a front facing setup and that was the target developers were initially given. If Oculus doesn't recommend a room scale setup, developers have little reason to make anything for it.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
According to Abrash, 5K per eye would deliver the same pixel density as a monitor at a normal viewing distance. So yeah, we're quite far off.

Damn, so vr is worthless for traditional media for prolly what, 15 more years? Talk about coming out too early...

Melon Husk

Looks like I wasn't far off!

Any way, 8-bit panels wouldn't cut it. To simulate a bright screen in dark movie theater you will need more bit depth, in other words, HDR.

Damn, so vr is worthless for traditional media for prolly what, 15 more years? Talk about coming out too early...

Don't be disheartened, UHD Premium spec pushed at 90Hz would get you quite close.

Cartman86

Banned

The point of VR should be to experience something new, built specifically for VR. Not to replace traditional film or games. It's a bonus if you can recreate a cinema experience in a headset.

Durante

Your complaint is akin to complaining that computer gaming was at least 2 decades too early because only with the proliferation of e-ink in the 00s did the on-screen reading experience rival that of books.

cakefoo

Coming out too early? lol. Oh right, VR's primary use is going to be simulating a screen that's further away, it will fundamentally change how stories are told!

Get a 3DTV, turn 2D-3D conversion on, turn the strength to 0, turn the 3D viewpoint to the max, and voila-- you have the illusion of a deep, large cinema screen. *shrugs* more power to you I guess.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Your complaint is akin to complaining that computer gaming was at least 2 decades too early because only with the proliferation of e-ink in the 00s did the on-screen reading experience rival that of books.
I wanted to completely replace my monitor.

VR's worth does not lie in traditional media displayed on a virtual screen. You already have the best device for that right now -- a TV and monitor. VR is here now for VR experiences.

Top Bottom