• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

pj

Banned
Well, a PS4 is smaller than most VR capable computers... marginally. Setup wise, it's a closed system so not as much having to worry about OS/driver updates, and it's probably easier to lock into a kiosk mode. Probably helps that it's cheaper too.

Basically the points really only apply to Gamestop, not consumers. Not that they needed those reasons in the first place. PC gamers don't really go to Gamestop, so of course they'll focus on what will actually bring them in money: PSVR. It could take up 5x as much room and require a masters degree in EE to set up, and they'd still demo it because it makes more financial sense.

Theres no link box with oculus, so theres less cables. Rift has built in headphones. Any VR demo is going to have to be manned, so kiosk mode doesn't matter.

I agree that gamestop is more for the console crowd, but the reasoning given by the CEO is bs.

Zalusithix

Theres no link box with oculus, so theres less cables. Rift has built in headphones. Any VR demo is going to have to be manned, so kiosk mode doesn't matter.

I agree that gamestop is more for the console crowd, but the reasoning given by the CEO is bs.

I was just attempting to stretch reality to fit the statements lol. I agree they're BS, but that's corporate speak for you. While they wont necessarily outright lie, they'll use half truths and exaggerations to spin reality to suit their own agendas. They're certainly never going to outright say "We don't want to waste floor space on PC gear."

pj

Banned
I was just attempting to stretch reality to fit the statements lol. I agree they're BS, but that's corporate speak for you. While they wont necessarily outright lie, they'll use half truths and exaggerations to spin reality to suit their own agendas. They're certainly never going to outright say "We don't want to waste floor space on PC gear."

Yeah, oculus is 100% digital. They have no time for that

cakefoo

Well, no, because there's nothing stopping me from performing the same physical sidestep to dodge the attack while laying down covering fire with both hands. Then I just hold the ratcheting button as I make my return to center, pulling myself behind the cover in the process. Or I could simply dodge the attack initially by ratcheting myself behind cover, which is far more effective than your dodge would be, because I can move my hand a lot faster than you can move your entire body.
Ratcheting sounds ridiculous: to go left, you wave right? To crouch, you drag up? To run, you rapidly wave your arms back and forth to move 12 inches per wave, while precisely timing for the left and right ratchet buttons?

Ratcheting may seem like a ridiculous amount of abstraction, but it's actually far less abstraction than what we've been dealing with for the last 50 years — that's why it doesn't make you sick
How does one know ratcheting in VR won't make them sick, if they haven't tried it?

Well, no. As I was telling Zap, teleportation has some complications, but a basic ratcheting implementation is pretty natural and straightforward. Sure, the lack of inertia makes it unnaturally fast, but the range is short, and once everyone in the world moves similarly, it will seem perfectly normal, just as circle-strafing at 20m/s does now in CoD.
I really don't see how ratcheting could be faster than physically moving.

Users don’t need “real world physics standards,”
Uh, in VR, you kind of do. That's what keeps everyone from getting nauseous.

and as I’ve said before, I think we’ll have more design options to us if we don’t arbitrarily constrain ourselves to them.
Sure, but you're doing a terrible job at making this particular system sound appealing.

What they really don’t need are experiences where they need to stop every three paces and wait for their meatbag to catch up. I mean, playing through two or three of those might be interesting from an intellectual curiosity standpoint, but going on WalkAbout for dozens of games? Just let me get on with it already. And how does that work with multiplayer? The other players walk for three seconds, disappear for five, then reappear and walk for three more? Yeah, that sounds way more realistic than my suggestion of walking with your hands… =/
Players would look like they're standing still while activating Walkabout. There's no warping, no teleporting.

So given the presence of this necessary system, what does wandering around your bedroom bring to the party beyond regular reminders that you're really still just stuck in a bedroom?
It give the world weight, it keeps you physically immersed, it prevents nausea in virtually 100% of cases.

When do we get to the part where physical locomotion becomes a huge win?
Maybe that ahah moment will come once you try Roomscale VR. People who've tried it fall in love with it, and they don't want to let that go in favor of waving their hands around like an idiot.

As I said earlier, I’ve used Virtuality and Gear. Move too, obviously, if that counts for anything.
Which arguably gives you about as much insight into the locomotion issue as someone who's tried Virtual Boy.

It still exists as a reminder that the virtual environment is nothing more than that, which is precisely the opposite of the effect we’re trying to achieve here. We have a myriad of systems working together to make your brain say, “Yes, this is really happening,” and a single system designed to apply the brakes and say, “Nah, you're still in your room.” It exists solely to ground you in reality, and it does precisely that.
And the moment you wave your hand to take a step, it's like playing a Chuck Norris simulator-- in case you didn't know, when Chuck does pushups, he doesn't push himself up, he pushes the earth away.

That’s still the case, and while I would say Touch is the better controller overall thanks to its additional inputs and ability to get a true yaw lock, the impressive girth of it’s tracking ring is a direct result of the comparatively poor visibility of IR markers.
No? It's a direct result of them wanting to design a balanced handheld peripheral that doesn't feel like you're holding a remote with a ball on the end of it. A bigger surface also reduces the chance of occlusion, possibly better than having a 1-inch glowing orb. The constellation patterns also provide absolute orientation data. By the way, you seem to be suggesting that replacing the Move ball with an identically-sized array of IR LEDs would result in inferior tracking to Move. I would like you to cite sources for that claim.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'd call ratcheting "hand-walking". Pretty good analogy for what it involves.

Biggest problem is those hands are often needed for other activities, so it's only suitable for designs where you don't need to do anything that involves both hands while moving.

Interesting idea, but I wouldn't expect anyone else to build it for you to try out. Get in there and make it happen if you think it's a game-changer.

pj

Banned
Ratcheting sounds ridiculous: to go left, you wave right? To crouch, you drag up? To run, you rapidly wave your arms back and forth to move 12 inches per wave, while precisely timing for the left and right ratchet buttons?

How does one know ratcheting in VR won't make them sick, if they haven't tried it?

Sure, but you're doing a terrible job at making this particular system sound appealing.

Players would look like they're standing still while activating Walkabout. There's no warping, no teleporting.

It give the world weight, it keeps you physically immersed, it prevents nausea in virtually 100% of cases.

Maybe that ahah moment will come once you try Roomscale VR. People who've tried it fall in love with it, and they don't want to let that go in favor of waving their hands around like an idiot.

Which arguably gives you about as much insight into the locomotion issue as someone who's tried Virtual Boy.

And the moment you wave your hand to take a step, it's like playing a Chuck Norris simulator-- in case you didn't know, when Chuck does pushups, he doesn't push himself up, he pushes the earth away.

No? It's a direct result of them wanting to design a balanced handheld peripheral that doesn't feel like you're holding a remote with a ball on the end of it. A bigger surface also reduces the chance of occlusion, possibly better than having a 1-inch glowing orb. The constellation patterns also provide absolute orientation data. By the way, you seem to be suggesting that replacing the Move ball with an identically-sized array of IR LEDs would result in inferior tracking to Move. I would like you to cite sources for that claim.

Just stop, man. He can't be convinced that psvr isn't the best at everything

I find that chaperone does break presence a bit. I have the absolute minimum space for room scale while means the bounds show up without having to move very far from the centra, and it definitely does take you out of the game as you become conscious of your physical bounds.
It's a necessary evil, but I would rather games use other ways of moving to limit the likelihood of me coming close to my walls.

Raticus79

Sorry for lttp n00b question, but what the fuck is ratcheting? :D

Serversurfer's term for an alternative movement method. Hold a button and move a tracked motion controller to move yourself in the world by that amount. Imagine working your way around a pool by grabbing the edge. Similar idea, in any direction.

viveks86

Serversurfer's term for an alternative movement method. Hold a button and move a tracked motion controller to move yourself in the world by that amount. Imagine working your way around a pool by grabbing the edge. Similar idea, in any direction.

Ha.... thanks!

Afrikan

this method works well in the PS3 game The Fight...and it is with slightest of movement. using Move controller to move your fighter around.

you could use both of the controllers to do it... so if you wanted to throw a punch with the right arm... you would use the Left Move controller to tilt it alittle bit toward your opponent. (or to move you character around)

now if you were playing a PS3 motion game and you tried this set up... and lets say you were playing a first person game... well you could move the character with the left move controller... and aim/look with the right move controller.

BUT since the PS4 camera can track the Headset...well you can look/aim with where you are "facing" and aim and shoot with the right move controller anywhere in your vision/field of view.

I played a lot of Technolost last night which has free analogue movement. No motion sickness at all. There's a comfort mode you can toggle on and off which jump you forward tiny amounts rather than smoothly.
If does turning on the right stick by jumping between fixed degrees of rotations rather than free turning. i think that's the bit people should be focused on more than method of movement, because free movement with a stick really hasn't felt weird to me in anything I've played.

Teleportation works brilliantly in Budget Cuts, but then it's built into the mechanics because of the preview portal you check so you can check if it will be dangerous. I don't really want to see it become the standard because it does feel a bit limiting/annoying compared to free control.

cakefoo

this method works well in the PS3 game The Fight...and it is with slightest of movement. using Move controller to move your fighter around.
No, that's a completely different method. In The Fight, you tilt the Move at an angle and hold it there to walk indefinitely. In serversurfer's dream VR locomotion system, you pull the world towards you one arm's length at a time. Like a normal person, duh.

gmoran

Basically. Not just dollar cost, but also effort and convenience will all factor in to its success, and that applies to developers just as much as users. And to be clear, using my suggested terminology, I'm talking about physical locomotion here. Motion controls are sweet, and obviously, not needing to be careful to stay in view of the camera is a win. But I'm not sold on the idea that physical locomotion is "the" answer to movement in VR as some are. It's certainly an answer, but it clearly has limitations that proponents seem quite eager to gloss over.

Yes, when I say cost I mean all downsides including opportunity cost.

And I suspect you are correct, that developers will eventually start to coalesce around a number of effective software locomotion solutions for VR.

rambis

Banned

I doubt the demos will be manned at my gamestops. Alot of times they barely have enough to cover all the shopping customers.

I could see this being the case elsewhere.

Qassim

So just got back from testing HTC Vive, got to demo theBlu, Job simulator, Space Pirate Trainer and Tiltbrush.

Impressions on the headset, much less comfortable than the PSVR. Got pretty warm around the face, were the headset sat snuggly. Screen was good, but I did notice some strange coloring on the setup screen, where I was instructed to look at one of the lighthouses and calibrate the lenses, while moving my head slightly, the colors below and above the lighthouse would shift from redish to greenish, about 1 pixel wide swath around it. Only noticed this in the setup screen, and I'm guessing mostly due to the contrast of the white "room" and the black lighthouse, and in turn I guess that's due to the RGBG setup of the subpixels.
Second problem, the damned cable. For room scale to work, you shouldn't have to worry about the cable, and right now it seems to be a rather large issue, and specially in a demo environment, they should have it on some device attached to the ceiling.

The controllers had fewer buttons than I expected, and most of the use was very intuitive, on Space Pirate trainer, as it started, I asked "hey, how do you switch firing modes, and before I could get an answer, I had already switched. The tracking works great, without any delay whatsoever. Though there was one moment in Job Simulator where it lost tracking on my left hand when I was trying to pick something up from the floor.

theBlu demo was really cool, hearing something behind you and turning around and seeing this giant whale, the sense of scale was fantastic. (This is where I think the comparisons some make to 3D absolutely fails, 3D TV/Movies have no sense of scale, everything is a miniature, so the experiences aren't even remotely comparable). This demo was also one where I definitely realized the need for higher resolution displays, and the need for a lot of good AA. There were a lot of shimmering, and very noticeable pixilation on more distant objects (mostly noticeable on the devil rays swimming at a distance)

Job Simulator was pretty meh, then again I totally ignored the instructions and spent most of my time copying paper airplanes and throwing them everywhere.

Space Pirate Trainer was great, and if you have lots of space at home, it's going to be awesome to play. The ease of aiming and shooting, switching weapon to shield, and the intuitiveness of dodging incoming projectiles made the Vive shine.

Tilt Brush was pretty meh as well, considering I don't have a single artistic bone in my body, but I can see people with talent creating great pieces in this, and I think I'd enjoy just spending time looking at them.

So far I've tried PSVR and HTC Vive, PSVR was back in late September so I can't compare directly, but one thing is for sure, PSVR is better designed, after 15 minutes on the Vive, I was sweating around the face plate, and I can't imagine how it'd be after hour long sessions. Room scale though is a completely different experience, and there HTC really has the upper hand. Never got to try the PSVR with the move controllers, so can't compare there.

Not to say the PSVR isn't more comfortable (I wouldn't know, not tried it), but I think in general people tighten the Vive more so than it needs to be. You can get a similar feeling of it 'sitting' on your face rather than wrapped around your head if you configure it right - I mean impressions all point to the Vive being the least comfortable of the three, but I played a pretty intense hour of Audioshield earlier and pretty much everything aside from my face was sweating and I think that's a result of me having it fit not so tightly.

viveks86

No, that's a completely different method. In The Fight, you tilt the Move at an angle and hold it there to walk indefinitely. In serversurfer's dream VR locomotion system, you pull the world towards you one arm's length at a time. Like a normal person, duh.

tumblr_mmn76ovihz1so3om3o1_500.gif

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I've never seen someone more determined to kill a thread than serversurfer.

One last anecdotal experience. My mom is far from a gamer...she plays majong on her iPad but finds Diner Dash to be too complicated. She can't even really use a PS4 controller to use Netflix.

After a few minutes she was teleporting around in the Lab, playing the games, understood the boundaries and was completely engrossed in the experience. I can't imagine trying to explain to her how to make kinect-like gestures to move around.

jaypah

I've never seen someone more determined to kill a thread than serversurfer.

One last anecdotal experience. My mom is far from a gamer...she plays majong on her iPad but finds Diner Dash to be too complicated. She can't even really use a PS4 controller to use Netflix.

After a few minutes she was teleporting around in the Lab, playing the games, understood the boundaries and was completely engrossed in the experience. I can't imagine trying to explain to her how to make kinect-like gestures to move around.

Yeah, for a while I sorta stopped coming to this thread because I was tired of hearing how skiing with PS Moves is the future of locomotion.

Cool story about your mom though! Lots of impressions say how intuitive it is.

Afrikan

oh you mean like that insect demo Anton Mikhailov used to show for the Move Controller?

It seems tiring if the whole game was like that.

Tilting should work better.

cakefoo

oh you mean like that insect demo Anton Mikhailov used to show for the Move Controller?

It seems tiring if the whole game was like that.

Tilting should work better.
I think it was a lizard, but yeah. It would be insanely tiring to use it to play, say, Call of Duty. You'd be the slowest person on the server and you couldn't shoot while moving. It would only work for slow paced games in tiny VR environments, but even then I could imagine it being really, really, REALLY clunky and ONLY a last-resort solution for people who can't/won't use their legs, or don't have a large enough room.

As for tilt-to-move ala The Fight for PS3/Move, it would be nauseating for a large amount of people just like using an analog stick would be.

To my knowledge, teleportation is currently the only form of unlimited locomotion that has been tested by many and proven to not cause nausea. Walkabout hopes to prove that it can avoid nausea as well, by dimming the game world and bringing the Chaperone grid and floating particles into view.

But seriously, do you only get to decide what gets to be "the topic" of discussion in a huge ongoing thread that holds various meandering tangents?
Excuse me? Where have I done that? I’d like to discuss our locomotion options and their effect on both gameplay and immersion. If you’d like to participate in that discussion, that would be great. If you want to discussing something else entirely like shipping dates or SDK warz or anything else, then again, nobody is stopping you.

edit: And you didn't even read my post, you gave the height example as the presence test which was exactly what I used in mine when discussing Minecraft and the chaperone system being seen.
I did read your post, and if you’d read my response, you’d have known that I’d hinted yes, there are varying degrees of presence, and by being aware of the fact that you still (mostly) existed in meatspace, then you were experiencing one of the lowest degrees, by definition. Which player is more immersed in the experience?
“Hmm, if I go this way, I’ll hurt my meatbag…”
“Why am I so dizzy… Oh, hey! Did I even feed my meatbag??”

The technology is making it perfectly clear to you that yes, your avatar is in fact in a tree, and if y’all move forward you’ll be on the ground instead. It’s simultaneously making it perfectly clear to you that your butt is parked safely on the bedroom floor. For all I know, sitting in a tree staring at the chaperone may indeed have been your most immersive experience to date, but it seems like it would only rate like a 3 out of 10 on the grand scale of immersion. But see here…

The whole chaperone breaking presence is such a bullshit. I understand it somehow coming from someone who didn't even try it. but even so, you can set different degrees for it from beginner to developer (and I did that for TheBlu and I forgot to set it back for the next game, so in Quar I almost hit the furniture being absorbed in my movement of troops). Chaperone is great for games, it's a fact. And it can be set to minimal when is not needed.
This actually illustrates my point nicely. You were totally focused on your troops, and your immersion was indeed up in the 8-10 range, which is exactly what we want; the very purpose of VR. You were so engrossed that you almost wandered in to the furniture, but fortunately, the chaperone was there to stop you. GG, Chap. <3

Okay, so you guys do understand that the way Chap saves you is by knocking your immersion down from a 9 to a 3 — or whatever — which allows to become aware of meatspace again, yes? If you were fully engrossed in your troops, there’d be zero reason to stop whatever it was you were doing, right? So can we at least agree on that much? That encountering the chaperone reduces immersion, both by definition and by design? Let’s try not to get distracted by the strawman of whether that’s preferable to bumping your head. Is that how it prevents you from bumping your head; by reminding you of the “real” reality? "Hey, dummy, stop thinking about your troops for a second and start thinking about where you're going," right?

It's important if you're a developer, in which case you try everything out and see what works instead of basing everything on conjecture.
I’d say that design philosophy is just as important to gamers as it is to developers. The former typically don’t have much direct influence over the process, but there are devs who frequent these forums and most devs are smart enough to know they should be paying attention to what their users want. Some of them are even smart enough to know that users often don’t know what’s actually best for them… ;)

The first aspect is obviously not going to happen. It's pretty clear that nobody is going to convince you that roomscale has merit.
Frankly, nobody’s really even tried to do much convincing. I said that physical locomotion seemed to create as many issues as it solved while leaving the need for abstraction unsolved, and the most passionate and persistent rebuttals I’ve gotten are, “You’re stupid and jealous,” and, “What even is presence?” Oh, and a bunch of, “2 > 1,” I guess.

As far as swaying others goes, they're better off making up their own minds based on real life experience rather than basing it on either of our opinions.
Well, you seemed to agree that having a decent solution for abstraction would be clearly preferable to dealing with the complications and distractions introduced by physical locomotion within mismatched environments, until I pointed out that you had done so…

Thus, my interest in continuing this road to nowhere is exhausted.
… and now you don’t wanna talk about it anymore. :p

Ratcheting sounds ridiculous: to go left, you wave right? To crouch, you drag up?
Not really. It’s more like grabbing on to a handle that ain’t going nowhere and pulling yourself around relative to it. The pool analogy is pretty good. When I was a kid, I’d let as much air out of my lungs as I could to minimize my buoyancy and sink down in to the water and grab the ladder. Then I could use the ladder as a 6DOF controller to move my body anywhere I liked; forwards, backwards, left, right, upside-down… Basically, it gave me more freedom of movement than I’ve ever had, and it was perfectly intuitive. I was a young child and had no idea what a 6DOF controller was. I doubt there even was such a thing at the time. I just knew it was cool to be able to move wherever I wanted just by grabbing on to something solid.

To run, you rapidly wave your arms back and forth to move 12 inches per wave, while precisely timing for the left and right ratchet buttons?
First, you do understand the irony of criticizing its utility for sustained movement, yes? ;)

But yes, vanilla ratcheting the entire trip to the bus stop will get almost as tedious as trying to WalkAbout there. There are some things we could do that would improve ratcheting over longer distances, but before I get too far in to it, can I ask if it’s something you’re genuinely interested in discussing? Frankly, this post is the only real response I’ve gotten on the subject of ratcheting, but I’m not certain if you actually have concerns that you’d like addressed, or are just ripping on it because reasons.

The same way I know that teleportation and snap turns and physical locomotion and simply pointing your wand and saying, “Take me that way,” doesn’t make you sick; I actually listen to what other people have to say. That's actually why I asked if anyone wanted to discuss the implementation of physical locomotion solutions with me. My plan was to listen to what they had to say, thereby increasing my understanding of what it entails. Unfortunately, most haven’t been able to manage much more than hostility towards a perceived threat to their differentiating factor.

Well, it sorta depends on what you’re comparing. Sure, sprinting will beat vanilla ratcheting, but you’re not going to be sprinting in your bedroom anyway, so that’s a strawman to begin with. I was talking about short-burst movement, which is faster with ratcheting because your hand has less inertia than your hand plus the rest of your body. You can grab ‘hold with Square and move the wand two feet to the right way faster than you can move your entire body two feet to the left, but both would have the same result on your avatar; it’ll seem like you moved two feet to the left. The only difference is whether you’re pushing off with your right foot or your right hand. Yes, for the first week or twelve your first instinct will be to push off with your foot — and you always can, if you want — but over time you may realize that not only is performing the same maneuver with your hand faster and easier, not encountering the chaperone is far less distracting than doing so.

Think about it like this. Ever play half-court basketball? Racquetball? Ice hockey? Any other sport or activity where you occasionally find yourself literally up against a wall? When you go to return to the action, you push off from the wall, right? That’s going to give you a far better launch than your kicks on this slippery ass floor, just because it lets you apply your strength more directly and effectively, right? Same idea with runners and starting blocks. If there’s something there to push off from, you don’t actually think about it, you just do it, because it’s better. So you can think of your ratchet as like a starting block for your hand. Any time you’d like, you can hit the button that drives the big spike down in to the ground, giving you something to push off from, in any direction.

But let’s have a race; me with my ratcheting, you with your WalkAbout, both with our new Vives. One step and one ratchet both cover a bit less than 0.75m, and it’s twelve paces to the chest — about 9m. I’ve cleared the minimum recommended space of 2m x 1.5m, giving me just enough space to swing my arms . You’ve cleared double that, giving yourself a nice 3m x 2m area to stroll about. So if you start with your butt on the far wall and take four paces, that should bring your nose right up to the opposite wall. As luck would have it *rolls dice* the chest spawns when you’re safely at your Center of Tracking, as am I, as always. Seems we just spawned.

So you take two steps towards the chest and bump in to the chaperone. You hold the button to phase in to hyperspace, turn and walk to the far end of the CB, turn back towards the chest, and release the button. During this time, I’ve matched you ratchet-for-step, and a got a couple of extras in while you were making your two turns.

But now you’re at the far end of the CB where you can finally get a good run at the chest. Four easy steps later and you’re halfway there! You slip in to hyperspace and hurry back to the far end of the CB again. Another dash through the VE and you’re only two steps away! You can taste it!! Oh, but hey, if you only run two steps back in the CB, then two steps forward in the VE, that will put you next to the chest, but it’ll also put you right next to the wall, so you still won’t be able to quite reach the chest. No worries; this isn’t your first race. This time you simply take three steps in the CB, so when you take those final two steps in the VE, you’ve got plenty of room to reach out and loot. BAM!!

Okay, you’ve made three visits to hyperspace, made six 180º turns, and walked a total of twenty-three paces. By comparison, I’ve suffered through the tedium of twelve “hand waves.” So who got the loot and who got the boot? As a matter of fact, I arrived at the chest just as you were initiating your second trip to hyperspace, before you’d even made your third 180º spin. If I’d been competing with one ratchet tied behind my back, I’d have arrived when you were about halfway through your third walkabout. To add insult to injury, despite the fact you cleared twice as much space in your room as I did, you’ve spent more than half of your play time interacting with the chaperone — ~50% of your steps plus 100% of your turning — while I haven’t so much as seen it, because even with my arms fully outstretched I’m still safely out of the activation range (one would hope). You’d have fared much better with less back-tracking though. If you’d simply cleared a 9m length and then bribed the GM to not spawn the chest until you were at the far end of the room (hallway?), then it basically would’ve been a straight foot race. Then you might’ve had a good chance to beat me, assuming I was just stuck with plain vanilla ratcheting.

So would you like to subscribe to our newsletter? :p

You would think so, but that’s not actually how it works. Imagine removing your head and spiking it on the end of one of your wands. Oh, and don’t die. Instead, look around by pointing your head with your arm instead of your neck. Now start whipping your head-wand around as quick as you like, and continue to enjoy the view from your disembodied eyes as you do so. None of this will make you ill, because you’re in control of it and it’s completely predictable. It the same reason you don’t get motion sickness when you’re the one driving; all is going as it should, even though its going an unfathomable 100 MPH. It’s over in the passenger seat where you have no control that everything feels so sloshy.

Perhaps, but to be fair, up until this point, I was mostly just trying to get it tabled for discussion. ;)

Hopefully, there’s no shooting or pickpocketing there either…

There are other solutions that prevent nausea. I’m not buying that being able to take three steps towards something instead of a mere two steps somehow creates “weight and physicality” without the presence of weight and physicality. If you reach out to touch the virtual wall and there’s a physical wall lined up with it, then yes, you’ve created an additional layer of presence. Without some actual physicality to the wall, your experience is precisely the same as mine, except you’re one step closer to the wall. MMMM, ROOMSCALE, SO GOOD!! Oh, and instead of getting a good look at the wall, you actually activated the chaperone again. I didn’t, because I simply ratcheted myself four steps towards the wall to take a close-up look. :p

Maybe it will, and maybe when people try ratcheting, they’ll realize it’s the people still waving their legs around who haven’t thought it through. ;)

How could I forget my favorite rebuttal; “Only Party Members may speak.”

Tell me truly, how will it change things when I use the Vive? What happens if I come back and report that it worked just as I predicted — and indeed, just as shown in the video you linked depicting precisely what I predicted — and continue to argue there are far better ways of getting to that chest than what we’re doing right now? Will you then treat these concerns as valid, or simply claim it to be more evidence that I’ve been blinded by my love for Sony?

Do you see the young lady or the old witch? ;) People see what they choose to see* but we can give the users cues to help indicate they’re the ones who are moving.

Meta reference?

/sigh Again, mentioned in the very text you quoted. As for the rest, I’m a little disinclined to provide citations for you guys as I’ve cited all of this stuff before, yet here we are again, having the very same arguments about whether I should be allowed to comment with you not even bothering to read my posts before you attempt to mock and discredit me. Repeatedly, no less.

So I hope I’ve answered your questions about ratcheting. If you have more, I’d be happy to answer them, but if you’re just here hoping to convince people not to listen, then do what you gotta do, I guess.

Biggest problem is those hands are often needed for other activities, so it's only suitable for designs where you don't need to do anything that involves both hands while moving.
I think there’s ways to handle travel over longer distances fairly easily. Gliding, for example. Head to the ice rink and push off from the wall. Feels pretty normal to glide along for quite some time, doesn’t it? Might sound crazy, but it should be comfortable, because again, the user sets the velocity. Just give a good shove with your ratchet, and glide along on your virtual roller skates. You’ll want to keep your head free for looking around, but you can just point with your wand to make any necessary course corrections or spike yourself to a stop. It caps travel speed at however fast they can swing their wand, and they’re free to do other things as they glide along. You can either have them gradually slow, requiring periodic booster pushes, or just let them glide along indefinitely.

Interesting idea, but I wouldn't expect anyone else to build it for you to try out. Get in there and make it happen if you think it's a game-changer.
I’ve been thinking about looking in to getting a dev kit, but I’m sure they cost far more than I could justify, given how much time I’m likely to be able to spend with it. I don’t even do anything with my iOS membership. =/ Really, I just wish I had access to the docs. That’s how I learned to program my Mac.

Sorry for lttp n00b question, but what the fuck is ratcheting? :D
This is.
https://youtu.be/MtY12ziHuII?t=2m38s (note the time stamp)

Sorry it’s not in VR, but it’s five years old. Have you been watching the Dreams videos? They use ratcheting to navigate around in that during create mode.

It’s not my term. The technique has actually been around for a long time. It’s just particularly spiffy with a 6DOF.

Teleportation works brilliantly in Budget Cuts, but then it's built into the mechanics because of the preview portal you check so you can check if it will be dangerous. I don't really want to see it become the standard because it does feel a bit limiting/annoying compared to free control.
Yeah, teleportation is cool, but it seems like it has too many caveats to really be your primary method in most cases.

Actually, yes, normal people use their hands to facilitate movement without thinking, every single time it's convenient to do so. We're just making it considerably more convenient for them.

And I'm not even saying ratcheting is the best solution. Mostly what I’m saying is that as long as there is any abstraction between the physical and virtual worlds, we’ll need some form of abstracted movement to deal with it. The better our solution, the better our games. Seems like we should be hashing and rehashing every solution we come across. I don’t know if ratcheting is the best solution we’ll come up with in the long run, but I do think it merits some honest discussion. If nothing else, it sounds like a more efficient solution to locomotion than something like WalkAbout.

Incidentally, I know y’all think I’m jealous, but there’s nothing stopping you implementing WalkAbout on PSVR. Basically you just walk toward the camera until you reach it, walk away from the camera while you’re in hyperspace and it doesn’t matter if your wands can be seen, then face the camera again to continue your journey. Just like that dude was doing with his Vive. I still don’t think it looks like a particularly effective way to get around though, whether it’s an option to me or not. While I could easily pace a 3m line just as you did in our little race, I’d still rather just ratchet my way to the easy win.

Raticus79

It’s not my term. The technique has actually been around for a long time. It’s just particularly spiffy with a 6DOF.

Oh ok, hadn't seen it in a quick search. Digging back further, I can see it mentioned with Sixense controllers.

http://aggrogamer.com/article/1643/CES-2010-Sixense-Takes-Motion-Control-to-Next-Level

I actually use a similar input concept for fine aiming in a space sim with the Steam controller - gyro mapped to mouse position and only active while a pad is touched.

Regarding the glide idea, I think it would rely on pretty specific game conditions to be useful, so it's probably not a good general fit, but could still be fun as a novel input method for a game built around it.

Edit: just saw the one you linked, https://youtu.be/MtY12ziHuII?t=2m38s - good example. I think it would be pretty difficult to move without accidentally causing motion sickness if the grip applied to full 6DOF movement like that. Problem stems from the relative ease of moving your lightweight hand without having a real body mass behind it. It would be sensitive to pretty fine hand movements which would make your vision tremble. Would wind up needing to have some smoothing applied I think, which could introduce latency.

The grip idea would work well for rotating a 3D model while working on it with your other hand in a VR editor. Just could get a bit unpleasant if that extended to direct control over moving your whole universe in the same way. Comfort should be fine with 2D surface movement though.

Worth acknowledging as an input concept, and there are some applications where it has a place. Just don't try to stretch it too far, I'd say.

Best application I can think of would be a game where you work in zero-G and can push through a space station - that lets you get the glide periods in to give your arms a break.

Afrikan

I think it was a lizard, but yeah. It would be insanely tiring to use it to play, say, Call of Duty. You'd be the slowest person on the server and you couldn't shoot while moving. It would only work for slow paced games in tiny VR environments, but even then I could imagine it being really, really, REALLY clunky and ONLY a last-resort solution for people who can't/won't use their legs, or don't have a large enough room.

As for tilt-to-move ala The Fight for PS3/Move, it would be nauseating for a large amount of people just like using an analog stick would be.

To my knowledge, teleportation is currently the only form of unlimited locomotion that has been tested by many and proven to not cause nausea. Walkabout hopes to prove that it can avoid nausea as well, by dimming the game world and bringing the Chaperone grid and floating particles into view.

I would have to try it... never understood the nauseating worry for games using an analog stick or tilt.

I know it isn't an official VR "experience" like using the Vive/Rift/PSVR... but when I used my Sony HMZ HMD...to play Datura..plus headtracking... and used an analog stick to move around...

obviously the FOV was basically a huge screen in front of you...not like these VR headsets... but it was 3D and it would roate with you.

also it was obviously below 60fps.. might have been 30fps or lower... but I didn't feel sick from it.

I'd like to see official games that try to use analog sticks for navigation, before passing judgment.

are there any out there now for Rift or VIVE?

Rift comes with a Xbox 360 controller. Can anyone give their impression when using it for navigation? or are there no games that use it for Navigation.

I've tried enough non-cockpit first person games which use a stick for movement to safely say that it doesn't make me feel sick or even slightly uncomfortable. I think it's fine as a movement method, certainly as an option and preferable to some of the weird methods people have suggested. Maybe it feels weirder if you use that while standing.

What I can see making people feel ill is using a stick to turn, but even then I think if it's locked to x-axis turning only it should be too bad. Technolust doesn't have smooth turning, you jump between partial rotations.

cakefoo

I fed it! What have I done? I'm sorry guys.

uv3RYHF.gif

before I get too far in to it, can I ask if it&#8217;s something you&#8217;re genuinely interested in discussing? Frankly, this post is the only real response I&#8217;ve gotten on the subject of ratcheting, but I&#8217;m not certain if you actually have concerns that you&#8217;d like addressed, or are just ripping on it because reasons.
I have concerns that I would like to see you try to address. The more you go on, the more I can dissect all the faults in your thinking. Are you scared to go down the rabbit hole?

The same way I know that teleportation and snap turns and physical locomotion and simply pointing your wand and saying, &#8220;Take me that way,&#8221; doesn&#8217;t make you sick; I actually listen to what other people have to say. That's actually why I asked if anyone wanted to discuss the implementation of physical locomotion solutions with me. My plan was to listen to what they had to say, thereby increasing my understanding of what it entails. Unfortunately, most haven&#8217;t been able to manage much more than hostility towards a perceived threat to their differentiating factor.
"Teleporting doesn't make me nauseous" is proof that teleporting doesn't make a person nauseous.
"Ratcheting sounds ridiculous" is NOT proof that ratcheting doesn't make people nauseous...

Think about it like this. Ever play half-court basketball? Racquetball? Ice hockey? Any other sport or activity where you occasionally find yourself literally up against a wall? When you go to return to the action, you push off from the wall, right? That&#8217;s going to give you a far better launch than your kicks on this slippery ass floor, just because it lets you apply your strength more directly and effectively, right? Same idea with runners and starting blocks. If there&#8217;s something there to push off from, you don&#8217;t actually think about it, you just do it, because it&#8217;s better. So you can think of your ratchet as like a starting block for your hand. Any time you&#8217;d like, you can hit the button that drives the big spike down in to the ground, giving you something to push off from, in any direction.
If I pushed off a wall that wasn't there in VR, I wouldn't FEEL my body going in the opposite direction. I'd just SEE it going in the opposite direction. Seeing locomotion without feeling it is the #1 cause of nausea in VR.

So you take two steps towards the chest and bump in to the chaperone. You hold the button to phase in to hyperspace, turn and walk to the far end of the CB, turn back towards the chest, and release the button. During this time, I&#8217;ve matched you ratchet-for-step, and a got a couple of extras in while you were making your two turns.
I've told you before Walkabout doesn't require you to reverse to gain open space- you simply pivot to face a spacious direction in your room, while in-game you're still facing the chest. The long-winded essay that you continued to write has just been voided. *frowny_face

Imagine removing your head and spiking it on the end of one of your wands. Oh, and don&#8217;t die. Instead, look around by pointing your head with your arm instead of your neck. Now start whipping your head-wand around as quick as you like, and continue to enjoy the view from your disembodied eyes as you do so. None of this will make you ill, because you&#8217;re in control of it and it&#8217;s completely predictable.
See, this is why people are hostile towards your idea. You're pulling these claims straight out of your ass, with no direct experience with your proposed locomotion technique. I can tell you right now that any VR head movement that you don't physically feel IN YOUR HEAD, will cause nausea. You can't just shift that feeling to your hand and expect your brain to just magically rewire.

There are other solutions that prevent nausea. I&#8217;m not buying that being able to take three steps towards something instead of a mere two steps somehow creates &#8220;weight and physicality&#8221; without the presence of weight and physicality.
Nobody's saying that 3 steps is less-nauseating than taking 2 steps. Just that using your hands to move your head is going to be nauseating because something's telling you your head is moving, but your inner ear doesn't feel those forces.

If you reach out to touch the virtual wall and there&#8217;s a physical wall lined up with it, then yes, you&#8217;ve created an additional layer of presence. Without some actual physicality to the wall, your experience is precisely the same as mine, except you&#8217;re one step closer to the wall. MMMM, ROOMSCALE, SO GOOD!! Oh, and instead of getting a good look at the wall, you actually activated the chaperone again. I didn&#8217;t, because I simply ratcheted myself four steps towards the wall to take a close-up look. :p
Again, nausea isn't caused by the disconnect between when you touch with your hands- it's caused by your pesky inner ear detecting false movement.

/sigh Again, mentioned in the very text you quoted. As for the rest, I&#8217;m a little disinclined to provide citations for you guys as I&#8217;ve cited all of this stuff before
Just answer the question :/ What is the reason you claim that a Move sphere can track better than a theoretical Move-sphere-sized Touch constellation pattern?

I think there&#8217;s ways to handle travel over longer distances fairly easily. Gliding, for example. Head to the ice rink and push off from the wall. Feels pretty normal to glide along for quite some time, doesn&#8217;t it? Might sound crazy, but it should be comfortable, because again, the user sets the velocity. Just give a good shove with your ratchet, and glide along on your virtual roller skates. You&#8217;ll want to keep your head free for looking around, but you can just point with your wand to make any necessary course corrections or spike yourself to a stop. It caps travel speed at however fast they can swing their wand, and they&#8217;re free to do other things as they glide along. You can either have them gradually slow, requiring periodic booster pushes, or just let them glide along indefinitely.
Yet another false claim about inner ear/vestibular disconnect. Really, you should educate yourself. Even short periods of acceleration and deceleration cause nausea. In fact, this is the period that causes the most nausea, as it's when we expect to feel the most opposing g-force- once you're moving at a constant rate in real life, the forces mostly equalize. People who've played games in VR that have gradual acceleration and deceleration periods when triggering artificial means of locomotion report getting more nauseous than when that abstract input method skips the acceleration/deceleration period and just goes straight into full-speed travel. But people still get nauseous at a high enough frequency in the latter, that it's not 100% advisable.

And I'm not even saying ratcheting is the best solution. Mostly what I&#8217;m saying is that as long as there is any abstraction between the physical and virtual worlds, we&#8217;ll need some form of abstracted movement to deal with it.
My advice would be to talk to a developer who will execute it so they can prove/disprove it works the way you've convinced yourself it will. Because almost every time you open your mouth on the subject of artificial locomotion here, all you're doing is showing off how uninformed you are on vestibular issues.

Incidentally, I know y&#8217;all think I&#8217;m jealous, but there&#8217;s nothing stopping you implementing WalkAbout on PSVR. Basically you just walk toward the camera until you reach it, walk away from the camera while you&#8217;re in hyperspace and it doesn&#8217;t matter if your wands can be seen, then face the camera again to continue your journey. Just like that dude was doing with his Vive.
I like how when describing Walkabout on Vive, you make it sound extremely complicated, but when describing how well it could be half-assed on PSVR, you make it sound intuitive.

Raticus79

Have people been noticing the improved motion quality thanks to the low persistence OLED (strobing)? Seems like that feature is really flying under the radar, but it's one of the things I've been looking forward to the most. ULMB mode on my Swift was too dim.

Think it was Durante who said this a while ago - in some ways the HMDs are higher quality displays than our desktop monitors.

viveks86

I would have to try it... never understood the nauseating worry for games using an analog stick or tilt.

I'd like to see official games that try to use analog sticks for navigation, before passing judgment.

are there any out there now for Rift or VIVE?

Rift comes with a Xbox 360 controller. Can anyone give their impression when using it for navigation? or are there no games that use it for Navigation.

Vanishing of Ethan Carter uses it. It's ok for moving and strafing. Not even remotely ok for turning. This is coming from a roller coaster junkie who has never experienced motion sickness inside or outside of VR. Turning makes me all kinds of uneasy. And then I'm ok when I stop turning.

Same with Windlands. I have no trouble playing it for hours as long as I'm moving forwards, backwards, upwards and downwards, but not turning with the analog stick. Luckily, it does roomscale well, so I don't have to go anywhere near the analog stick for turning. I just turn irl. Playing that game and being able to move a few paces really helps in maintaining balance and compensating for crazy momentum gain and loss.

Paganmoon

Not to say the PSVR isn't more comfortable (I wouldn't know, not tried it), but I think in general people tighten the Vive more so than it needs to be. You can get a similar feeling of it 'sitting' on your face rather than wrapped around your head if you configure it right - I mean impressions all point to the Vive being the least comfortable of the three, but I played a pretty intense hour of Audioshield earlier and pretty much everything aside from my face was sweating and I think that's a result of me having it fit not so tightly.

Problem with the Vive is that it requires some tightening at all. It'll still sit on your face. PSVR does not, it rests all weight on the top of your head, and there is a small gap for your face to "breath". So I don't really see a scenario where the out of the box Vive will not lead to some sweating around your face after long use. Hoping for someone to come up with an easy modification to make it more comfortable, as the experience in game was something else.

Qwell

Finally got a chance to try the retail Rift today, played a pretty large selection of demos and games. I haven't tried VR since the DK1 and some cardboard stuff here and there. Unfortunately my fears were correct, the screen door effect was still too great for me. I understand it will cost a lot more if they put better screens in them, and the GPU power to push them, but right now choosing between a nice 1080p 40" sitting about 3 feet in front of me is just more enjoyable.

Most non bubbly large text was pretty much unreadable for me, and while things like Defense Grid 2 and that one game that is like Rock and Roll Racing are pretty neat, I just wanted more fidelity in what I was looking at. I really did enjoy Lucky's Tale, but I'm still not sure if it was the VR tracked camera movement or I'm just in a platformer kick right now. Eve was also kind of neat, but again it was hard to pick out the ships when they were at distance.

2 more years when we are using more like 2400x1400 screens per eye I'll probably jump on it, but right now I want the image quality a good screen rather than VR. Especially since of everything I played, Lucky's Tale was really the only thing I could see myself sitting down with for a good length of time and really playing through. Definitely see the appeal, just not worth it at its current iteration / cost.

Qassim

Problem with the Vive is that it requires some tightening at all. It'll still sit on your face. PSVR does not, it rests all weight on the top of your head, and there is a small gap for your face to "breath". So I don't really see a scenario where the out of the box Vive will not lead to some sweating around your face after long use. Hoping for someone to come up with an easy modification to make it more comfortable, as the experience in game was something else.

No, that's exactly what I'm saying - the PSVR does sit on your face with little pressure by resting all the weight on your head - whereas you intuitively tighten the Vive onto your face.

But what I'm saying is it's possible to get a similar feeling by loosening the top strap so the back of it comes further down the back of your head and just using the side straps to bring it a bit closer to your face - getting a similar feeling. Not going to say it's close to the same comfort as the PSVR or Rift (again, not tried them), especially because the Vive seems to value the totally enclosed - no light leakage - approach vs the other two but I think it's more than possible to configure the Vive to avoid getting a sweaty face, cause it has worked for me so far intense sessions of Audioshield and Holopoint.

mhayze

First of all - great post, you've obviously thought through not just ratcheting, but several of the quandaries of locomotion in VR.

I think ratcheting could certainly evolve into a valid choice for many game designs, either in addition to or as the sole means of locomotion / movement (in as much as there is a 'toggle' for the ratcheting function.) Being new to the concept, I'd have to play something with a strong action/arcade element to see how well it could be done simultaneously with aiming and interacting (it seems like ratcheting could be achieved in a limited way with a single arm, with the other used for aiming or environment interaction/manipulation). In a twin stick shooter you use one stick for movement and the other for aiming and it gets to be second nature - almost.

On a semi-unrelated note, the input lag in that move video (yes I know it's PS3 era move) is so bad, I really really hope that PSVR can keep input latency in the sub 5 ms window, or it will make any locomotion/interaction scheme look bad.

Well, no, because there's nothing stopping me from performing the same physical sidestep to dodge the attack while laying down covering fire with both hands. Then I just hold the ratcheting button as I make my return to center, pulling myself behind the cover in the process. Or I could simply dodge the attack initially by ratcheting myself behind cover, which is far more effective than your dodge would be, because I can move my hand a lot faster than you can move your entire body.

But your first instinct is still to shift your entire meatbag. That's fine. So what happens when there's a physical wall in the way of your instinctive dodge? Which is more real to you, the fireball or the wall? Your sense of presence was firmly rooted in whichever environment you picked, and I suspect you didn't pick the virtual environment, as was our goal.

Actually, our goal was to make you forget there was even a decision to be made, and it seems we've failed miserably in that regard. The user who's learned to move with their hands instead of their feet is never presented with such a decision, because they never get closer to the wall. They can easily dodge in any direction at any time. Thusly, their sense of presence in the virtual environment is maintained. Will they eventually teeter their way out of the trackable zone? Of course they will, even if you can track an entire football field, but it will take a hell of a lot longer than would if you sent them trucking straight towards the edge.

And that's the real point here. You keep saying I'm focusing on the limitations of Lighthouse and proposing we replace it with a more limited system, but that's not what I'm doing. Why would we replace Lighthouse at all? It's the most capable tracking system we really have access to.

But having a larger tracking volume only helps you so much. Hitting the tracking limits is bad, so having them further away is better, but that doesn't make hitting them any less bad. If your trackable volume doesn’t correspond to your game environment, you’re going to have mismatches, and that’s a violation of presence every time the user finds one.

Yes, yes, this is all well and good, but what if we needed to crouch to avoid that attack? Well, if you’re still super attached to your meatbag, then go right ahead. If you’ve abandoned it to a comfy chair or a hammock somewhere like a normal person, then just ratchet your head up and down through the range of available heights. If you’ve got a rag doll following you, the system just shows it to be standing or stooping or whatever. Or maybe instead of crouching down, I’m actually getting really tiny… Hey, look. Now I’m Antman, changing my size at will as I hurl myself through keyholes with some well timed ratchet vaults. You can do whatever you like now; it’s not like your meatbag is going anywhere.

Ratcheting may seem like a ridiculous amount of abstraction, but it's actually far less abstraction than what we've been dealing with for the last 50 years — that's why it doesn't make you sick — and figuring out what all you can do here has always been part of video gaming. Git gud, son. Don't you wanna play Celerity Ninja 3 with us?

As I explained above, I don’t think these intuitive actions are nearly as complex or difficult to perform as you seem to think. Conversely, I think environments more than three paces long are typically quite common in video games.

Well, no. As I was telling Zap, teleportation has some complications, but a basic ratcheting implementation is pretty natural and straightforward. Sure, the lack of inertia makes it unnaturally fast, but the range is short, and once everyone in the world moves similarly, it will seem perfectly normal, just as circle-strafing at 20m/s does now in CoD.

Users don’t need “real world physics standards,” and as I’ve said before, I think we’ll have more design options to us if we don’t arbitrarily constrain ourselves to them. What they really don’t need are experiences where they need to stop every three paces and wait for their meatbag to catch up. I mean, playing through two or three of those might be interesting from an intellectual curiosity standpoint, but going on WalkAbout for dozens of games? Just let me get on with it already. And how does that work with multiplayer? The other players walk for three seconds, disappear for five, then reappear and walk for three more? Yeah, that sounds way more realistic than my suggestion of walking with your hands… =/

Anyway, you’re basically just arguing that rather that avoiding the tracking bounds as I suggest, you can incorporate them in to your gameplay. Of course you can, and that was my initial argument; there’s only so much you can do with physical locomotion unless you’re willing to build a build a comparatively large facility. Why? Because every time the user reaches the tracking bounds, unless it's also the game bounds, they gotta stop and figure something else out before they can progress.

So knowing that will always be an issue, why not just avoid it from the get go and stick with the abstraction? Either you’ve eliminated the need for abstraction or you haven’t, and constantly changing your “primary” form of locomotion is both immersion-breaking and tiresome. You still can’t make it out of your room without ratcheting (or whatever), and if you can ratchet, why would you ever walk?? As you argued at the top of the page, you never would. You'd do the sensible thing and ratchet to the corpses, because stopping to futz with the CB is nothing more than an unnecessary complication.

So we have ratcheting, which allows full freedom of player movement, subject only to developer constraints. "No, you can't ratchet yourself straight in to the air. Sure, you can hop around a little bit. No, you can't clip through the walls, but you can scale this one. Hang on tight. You unlocked Spider Ninja; scale whatever you like and don't worry about falling." Best of all, it never ever fails to deliver the expected results, so it never ever breaks presence. (Presumably, any dev constraints will be similarly predictable, at least in context.) So given the presence of this necessary system, what does wandering around your bedroom bring to the party beyond regular reminders that you're really still just stuck in a bedroom? Reminders which typically come in the form of blocked progress followed by a compensatory adjustment phase performed by the user.

When do we get to the part where physical locomotion becomes a huge win? Because so far I'm behind on presence, playability, and couches.

Okay then. I think this stuff is sorta important.

Actually, I was just staying on topic. ;) So I suppose you could say I sidestepped your attempt to sidestep, yes. :p

As I said earlier, I’ve used Virtuality and Gear. Move too, obviously, if that counts for anything. How much ratcheting have you done? How many times have you seen it demonstrated?
See what I did there?

It still exists as a reminder that the virtual environment is nothing more than that, which is precisely the opposite of the effect we’re trying to achieve here. We have a myriad of systems working together to make your brain say, “Yes, this is really happening,” and a single system designed to apply the brakes and say, “Nah, you're still in your room.” It exists solely to ground you in reality, and it does precisely that.

Standing at the edge of a cliff is our classic example for presence, yes? Your brain should be telling the rest of your body, “Holy shit! Watch the fuck out! One gust of wind and we fall to our deaths!!” The chaperone’s job is to say, “Nah, you’re alright, but you're about to stumble backwards in to your coffee table, so if anything, chose the safety of the cliff.”

Cliff or coffee table? Fireball or wall? Those are decisions the user should never be making. That’s not presence.

Anyone in the midwest wanna let me come try theirs? lol

Texas is a bit of a trek, Krej, but it might be worth it if you knock up something I can ratchet around in…

That’s still the case, and while I would say Touch is the better controller overall thanks to its additional inputs and ability to get a true yaw lock, the impressive girth of it’s tracking ring is a direct result of the comparatively poor visibility of IR markers.

Crossposting from Vive thread,

There was a discussion somewhere here about gamestop and VR demo's. I can't quite remember what it was about but I am pretty sure it was somwthing about gamestop choosing to demo PSVR and nothing else because it was simpler to set up?

Well... https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4f419f/htc_vive_demo_at_gamestop/

It assuages one of my biggest fears that the casual gaming populous' first VR experience would be something sub par in just seated instead of roomscale. this is great news for what people expect out of VR and first impressions are everything. Heck just the ability to experience roomscale at all is a good thing because it would have been tough to find a way before. Call me a fanboy but I think this sets a great tone for VR having roomscale be many peoples first experience.

Edit: I feel like I should point out that I am not a fanboy of any brand. I hate that crap. Roomscale is a method and can be implemented by anyone if they want to.

Qassim

Crossposting from Vive thread,

There was a discussion somewhere here about gamestop and VR demo's. I can't quite remember what it was about but I am pretty sure it was somwthing about gamestop choosing to demo PSVR and nothing else because it was simpler to set up?

Well... https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4f419f/htc_vive_demo_at_gamestop/

It assuages one of my biggest fears that the casual gaming populous' first VR experience would be something sub par in just seated instead of roomscale. this is great news for what people expect out of VR and first impressions are everything. Heck just the ability to experience roomscale at all is a good thing because it would have been tough to find a way before. Call me a fanboy but I think this sets a great tone for VR having roomscale be many peoples first experience.

I am really glad my Vive arrived before my Rift for that reason, when showing it to a few people I wanted them to experience tracked controllers & room scale first because it's just much, much more natural and accessible - whereas if I only had my Rift at the moment, there are people who I'd have to pretty much just limit them to 'experiences' because they can't pick up and play games with an Xbox pad without them getting frustrated trying to learn it.

How bout a few more stacks of kindling for this here fire...

This is a simple scene for testing out the running in place mechanic I have been working on. Directions follow, but basically you run in place and travel in the direction pointed by the trigger of the left controller.

I don't think this is a particularly useful mechanic as is, but I am trying to be forward thinking as far as having additionally tracked points in the future.

Ideally, there would be two tracking points around the waist in addition to the tracked controllers.

If you try it out I would love to hear your feedback, so please contact me with your thoughts.

Directions:

-Either stick the left controller in your belt or down the front of your pants with the donut facing outward and secure it there (Yes, I know. Hopefully once Valve gets some sort of tracking pucks out they will clip on.)
-or- Hold out the left controller in front of you, facing straight up (so the trigger points forward)
-To run: Grip the right controller and run in place
Triggers fire off little spheres

For those with Vives dl here

Haven't tried it myself yet but seems like it may be promising.

Paganmoon

No, that's exactly what I'm saying - the PSVR does sit on your face with little pressure by resting all the weight on your head - whereas you intuitively tighten the Vive onto your face.

But what I'm saying is it's possible to get a similar feeling by loosening the top strap so the back of it comes further down the back of your head and just using the side straps to bring it a bit closer to your face - getting a similar feeling. Not going to say it's close to the same comfort as the PSVR or Rift (again, not tried them), especially because the Vive seems to value the totally enclosed - no light leakage - approach vs the other two but I think it's more than possible to configure the Vive to avoid getting a sweaty face, cause it has worked for me so far intense sessions of Audioshield and Holopoint.

On your first point, that's not true, the PSVR sit on your face, it doesn't really make contact, and the stability is all on the part of the headset that sits on the top of your head. Vive however cannot be used the same way,

I actually had the Vive a bit looser at the beginning, but due to it not having any stiff parts holding the headset, moving your head would make the display move around a bit. And you move around a lot with the Vive, that's the whole point, so I had to tighten it.

Could be my face just gets hotter than most peoples, I suppose. Still got a pre-order in with the local retailer I tested it at, cause I think it'll be a minor issue overall, so it's not a showstopper, just an aspect PSVR simply does better. I wouldn't be surprised if both the other (Vive and Rift) would come with a similar design as the PSVR on their next iteration. Or at least something better than their current straps.

Qassim

Vive however cannot be used the same way,

The same way? No. A similar way? (As I've repeated) - it absolutely can. Put a load more slack than is default on the top strap and then use the side straps to bring it closer or further way.

As for the whole 'sit' thing - we're just disagreeing on what 'sit' actually means, but we're both describing the same thing ultimately. So that's not worth talking about because I understand what you're describing - it's the same thing many people have described (and also used similar wording as to what I am). I feel like I need to repeat myself, but I am not trying to claim it does what the PSVR or even the Rift does (because of their rigid components), but from what I've seen from many people using the Vive is that they rely on the side straps to secure it, leaving the top strap mostly in place because it's a bit of a pain to mess with.

If you leave it in the default position and you have anything but a baby sized head, then you do have to tighten it to your face to get it secure, but the key is to get the top strap to ride as far down to the back of your head as possible so that it holds on in many positions.

Fox1966

Neo Member
Can you watch 3D blu rays (or just blu rays in general) on the Oculus? Or does it have to be a file on your computer? I'd love to know more about how watching movies, both 3D and 2D, works on the Oculus...especially watching blu-rays.

Paganmoon

The same way? No. A similar way? (As I've repeated) - it absolutely can. Put a load more slack than is default on the top strap and then use the side straps to bring it closer or further way.

As for the whole 'sit' thing - we're just disagreeing on what 'sit' actually means, but we're both describing the same thing ultimately. So that's not worth talking about because I understand what you're describing - it's the same thing many people have described (and also used similar wording as to what I am). I feel like I need to repeat myself, but I am not trying to claim it does what the PSVR or even the Rift does (because of their rigid components), but from what I've seen from many people using the Vive is that they rely on the side straps to secure it, leaving the top strap mostly in place because it's a bit of a pain to mess with.

If you leave it in the default position and you have anything but a baby sized head, then you do have to tighten it to your face to get it secure, but the key is to get the top strap to ride as far down to the back of your head as possible so that it holds on in many positions.

You're quite right actually, I didn't bother adjusting the top strap at all. I suppose that would've helped a bit.

Top Bottom