• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

I have a VR-ready PC but it seems like PSVR is the only one that thought about making actual games, not just shovelware and demos but legit game experiences.

With all the time invested developing Vive and Rift, you'd think they would have funded at least one killer app designed from the ground up for VR. They are trying to sell the hardware to gamers.

hey bro, we're having legit gaming experiences over here.

I'd suggest trying one if you can. As a gamer, you should be well aware that the value of a game goes far beyond the fluffy features added. How many hours will you get out of it and how much fun will you have along the way? That's the real question.

Kevin

So what are the best seated games for these headsets that you guys can recommend that are either out now or coming out soon?

As for the Chaperone breaks presence thing, can't say I agree. I only use the minimum space and bump up against and see it frequently, my mind has already adapted to it as a part of the world(s). When I was on top of a tree in Minecraft on the Vive the other day I was aware of the chaperone bounds, that did not interfere with my mind thinking it was somewhere up high and I really shouldn't take a step forwards or that could be bad things for me. I sat down on top of said tree and again, saw my bounds and still had this instinctual feeling that I could dangle my legs off the side of this cube tree even though a second later realized I wasn't actually up there and no such drop existed in rl. Also, has server used a Vive before?

I wonder if there will be aftermarket foam adapters and straps for the vive. Many seem to mention that its extremely easy to remove both. Would be interested in an after market setup assuming the Vive does become uncomfortable to wear with prolonged use. JUNE CANT COME SOON ENOUGH.

Edit: I also wanted to echo some questions regarding seated or sitting only games. Which ones have you all tried on the vive? How are they?

OK wait.

Thinking of means of locomotion.

I like the sound of the grabbing and pulling mechanic.

How about a game basically based on that? Really really highly cultured locomotion being the main article of play. No other legacy 'videogame' concepts bogging the thing down, except insofar as they can be brought in to serve the VR experience.

So my idea was this. You reach out with one tracked controller and execute a 'long click' (ie maybe holding a trigger all the way down). This point in virtual space then becomes the centre point for 360 degree rotation, arbitrated by long clicks on the other controller. In other words you use your left hand to rotate yourself around your right hand.

And then let go. Or pull. Or push.

The further away the second reference point is from the first, would instinctively govern the speed at which rotation took place. You could even factor in zoom controls, by means of the common touchscreen gestures of pinching and pulling apart.

This could of course be a fast track to nausea, coming from someone who hasn't tried any VR products yet. The way I imagine it though, it could be very natural, and lead to some 'hardcore' or competitive type experiences. It should kind of be a lot like swimming.

Any thoughts?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I saw some comments around here asking for story driven games, so hopefully this will be a good one for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL0zpbN-R1Y

FATED is a first-person virtual reality action-adventure game. It is a highly polished episodic game that showcases the best that VR has to offer.

FATED proposes a strong story-driven experience in which emotion and gameplay are smartly woven together.

Platforms: Oculus, PlayStation VR, HTC Vive

Coming April 28th (I assume this will be the first episode).

Sky Chief

So in a nutshell, we allow full freedom of movement within the trackable volume — whatever that may be — and provide ratcheting to meet any movement requirements which take us beyond those bounds? Sure, that sounds perfectly reasonable. It's probably the default behavior, more or less. Then can you talk me through some mixed mode navigation? How does the user “pick up the mouse” and recenter themselves within the Chaperone Boundaries? The user is meant to be generally unaware of the fact that CB is even a thing, right? Presence is the name of the game, so if everything is going as it should, the user shouldn’t have the slightest idea where they are in relation to the physical walls, yes?

So after a heated battle with nary a peep from the chaperone thanks to your lush, four meter square tracking volume, the smoke clears to reveal the great hall is strewn with lootable bodies. The nearest is just a couple of meters away, so you excitedly scurry over to claim your prize. Unbeknownst to you — since the tech is working as advertised — you’re actually headed towards the nearest wall, so you only make it a little over a meter before the chaperone steps in front of you to say, “Easy, turbo; this ain’t real.” Well, all tracking has limits and besides, now you’re close enough to the body that you can just extend the length of your arm through the chaperone and gra… err, bump your wand against the wall a few centimeters shy of where the corpse becomes clickable. Bugger.

Okay, so we’ve definitely reached the limits of our trackable volume, verified by not one but two presence breaking events. So now what? How do we get back to the center of the bedroom and “reset” our freedom of movement? The most obvious answer would be to simply turn your back on the corpse, walk back towards the center of the bedroom, and turn back to face the corpse again. Having done this, you can easily ratchet yourself forward until the corpse sits within the CB, allowing you march right up and loot it. Just like real life.

A more sophisticated solution would be some sort of Ignore Me mode, allowing you to move freely through meatspace without affecting your location in cyberspace. This would allow you to skip ratcheting entirely, since you wouldn’t be getting any further from the corpse as you walked away from it. You may actually want to fade the VE out and the CB in during this process, because I imagine that being present in two environments simultaneously yet having your movement only reflected in one of them would be somewhat disorienting.. So in effect, you’d be stepping out of one reality in to another to take a few steps backwards, which allows you to then return to the original reality at the precise point from which you left, thereby continuing your stroll completely without interruption.

Call me a hater, but that all sounds kinda tedious and whatever the opposite of immersive is. Seems like it would be far simpler and more intuitive to simply reach out and pull myself a little bit closer, just as I would normally take an additional step towards something I couldn’t quite reach. One simple and intuitive action later I’ve reached my goal. May as well do the same to reach the guy 2m past this one, and yeah, prolly the one 4m past him too…

So now you’ve reached the end of the hall and collected all of the loot. The 16 square meters you’ve cleared in your house have allowed you to walk the first 1.5m of the hall, just like a real person would, and ratchet the remaining 28.5m, just like the SRO players would, after having started your journey with another visit from the chaperone. And you still can’t step in to the next virtual room, because you’re still standing in front of a physical wall. I guess now would be a good time to go ahead and stop to get yourself re-centered again. Maybe you’ll get lucky and the next room won’t be any bigger than your own room. Hmm, but if it is the same size as your room, then you should probably just go ahead and “center” yourself with your back to a wall, right? So, should it be the short wall or the long wall? Gotta be the short wall, right? I mean, doors that open into a left-right hallway aren’t a thing, are they?

And make no mistake, the chaperone does break presence. That’s actually it’s job. The only reason it exists is to stop you doing what you’re trying to do and say, “Yeah, you’d think, but not hap’nin.” So can you explain why we’re training users to actively move towards the tracking boundaries knowing full well it will be impossible for us to maintain presence when they arrive at said boundary a half-second later? Wouldn’t it be better for them and for us if we trained them to just stay put and stop messing with variables they can’t even observe? “Sorry, Chaperone, my bad. I didn’t know.” Yes, we knew you didn’t know, and decided to encourage you wander off the edge anyway. Ergo, the chaperone, here to pull you back to reality. Seems to me this all runs counter to the entire goal of establishing and maintaining presence. Just establish some consistent, predictable rules, and that’s all people really need, even if it means altering or even restricting their behavior. It’s things you can’t predict — like dropped frames and stumbling blindly off the edge — which break presence.

A lot of people seem to think that ratcheting breaks presence with every “step” you take, but it really doesn’t work like that, because its predictable. Our brains are actually quite adaptable, and it doesn’t take long before it feels completely normal to you. I compared ratcheting to brachiating your way around the space station. Scott Kelly didn’t spend the entire year thinking, “pfft This is so fake.” He also didn’t spend the entire year thinking, “This is so amazing/unbelievable/convenient.” Those thoughts lasted about a week, and after that his thoughts about locomotion were precisely the same as ours down here on Earth; “I need that pen.” After you get out of an extended VR session, your thoughts will mirror his own after returning to Earth; “I can’t believe I gotta use my stupid legs for this.”

See above?

Have you used the Vive? After a week of using it every night the chaperone and teleport and then walk around in room scale system has become such second nature and so natural. It never was awkward but now I do it without even thinking about it even though the implementations vary from game to game.

elyetis

I'm sure it can be pulled off with unreal4 and look damn good
Just wanted to say that since I got bored ( actually it's more about being impatient but knowing I won't get Vive before May, and Oculus before June ) and remembered your post, I gave a quick ( and still very very very incomplete ) try at a tabletop in UE4 for VR.
( I'm doing this test with the game Battlecon, not X-wing, but the idea is there )
1460663802-tabletopvr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Szclr26.webm
It's nothing too fancy, and I doubt I'll go as far as to make it complete ( not sure I could actually ), but damn I was already eager to play tabletop games in VR, and after doing that quick test ( with just a dk2 ) I'm even more convinced that VR will make it better ( sadly it did make me see how much better it would look in UE4 compared to tabletop simulator ).

So I'm REALLY tempted to get a flight stick setup for VR. What are the good ones in the $100-$150-ish range? Right now I'm leaning towards the Saitek X52 Pro Flight System Controller. Are pedals worth the addition to the experience for the extra cost?

Arulan

So I'm REALLY tempted to get a flight stick setup for VR. What are the good ones in the $100-$150-ish range? Right now I'm leaning towards the Saitek X52 Pro Flight System Controller. Are pedals worth the addition to the experience for the extra cost?

The build quality of Saitek leaves a lot to be desired. I would highly recommend CH's product lineup, specifically the Fighterstick and Pro Throttle, but that does put it past your budget.

I would also consider waiting until May 4th, as Thrustmaster is apparently going to announce a new lineup of joysticks.

The build quality of Saitek leaves a lot to be desired. I would highly recommend CH's product lineup, specifically the Fighterstick and Pro Throttle, but that does put it past your budget.

I would also consider waiting until May 4th, as Thrustmaster is apparently going to announce a new lineup of joysticks.

Oh interesting. I'm in no rush so I'll probably wait to see what comes out of that.

I can probably go higher on my budget but I've never owned a flight stick before and I honestly don't have a huge history with games that would benefit from them, so I'm hesitant to get in to the $200-$250 range in case I end up barely using it. That said, I'm pretty interested in Elite and I'm already in for Star Citizen.

bj00rn_

Banned
Oh interesting. I'm in no rush so I'll probably wait to see what comes out of that.

I can probably go higher on my budget but I've never owned a flight stick before and I honestly don't have a huge history with games that would benefit from them, so I'm hesitant to get in to the $200-$250 range in case I end up barely using it. That said, I'm pretty interested in Elite and I'm already in for Star Citizen.

I've been a flight sim nut for three decades, and I don't fully agree with the CH advise you was given. Especially since you have a budget, it's your first time with a flight stick and you're going to use it for space games (and rudder pedals vs rudder on the stick..) Don't worry, you will not miss anything going with a X52 Pro. There's a reason for why it's used as in-game model in Elite, it's simply a really good HOTAS and more than worth the money.

I've been a flight sim nut for three decades, and I don't fully agree with the CH advise you was given. Especially since you have a budget, it's your first time with a flight stick and you're going to use it for space games (and rudder pedals vs rudder on the stick..) Don't worry, you will not miss anything going with a X52 Pro. There's a reason for why it's used as in-game model in Elite, it's simply a really good HOTAS and more than worth the money.

Cool, I'll keep all that in mind. Thanks for the advice.

I just want to know whether this is just a thing with my rift or with the rift in general.

When I sway my head from side to side I get this ghosting effect. It's most obvious when i'm in that white menu that you get to when you press the xbox button (oculus home button). Can someone confirm this? Go to that menu, sway your head side to side, and see if the black buttons leave a ghosting effect.

... not that your insights aren't insightful or entertaining... but if we can adapt as you say (and I concur), wouldn't it be better to use an already established locomotion method in teleportation?

In fact, you can get teleportation to act a bit like the ratcheting mechanism you describe - if you try the Vive Home demo and turn on dash teleport, then it's... it's a bit like shooting a hook into the world and pulling it towards you.

Such a movement scheme is compatible with small and large roomscale experiences.
Sure, teleportation is great. It allows the user to reach (relatively) arbitrary locations, and doesn’t induce sickness in the process. This may actually be a good time for us to restate our problem…

Our traditional methods for abstracting movement in video games tend to cause sickness when used in VR.

Physical locomotion does have the advantage of eliminating the sickness by eliminating the abstraction, but it doesn’t eliminate the need for abstracted movement, and it also carries the disadvantage of encouraging the user to break the simulation. So it doesn’t solve our original problem of needing a way to abstract movement that doesn’t cause sickness, yet creates the new problem of repeated boundaries violation; a problem you never encounter if the user simply stays away from the edges.

Anyway, ratcheting is actually pretty well established. Did you ever play an RTS? Do you use edge-scrolling or drag-scrolling? The latter is functionally identical to ratcheting. I think it’s pretty natural and intuitive too. We’ve been dragging ourselves around with our hands since we were babies. Since we were monkeys, really. It was walking that took a while to get the hang of. It also (mostly) avoids the targeting phase required by teleportation; you simply grab rather than aim. A fine hair, perhaps, but I suspect the difference will make ratcheting the go-to solution for most users in the long run.

That said, teleportation would be useful for traveling longer distances. Ratcheting is great for taking a few steps, but using it to cover long distances without scaling may get annoying. My main concern with teleportation is the passage of time. Is the user actually teleporting, or are we just skipping the part where we see them make the journey? If it’s the latter, how do we reflect that passage of time? What about multiplayer?

Your entire argument boils down to "since room scale has limitations, lets avoid them by using a system with even more limitations".

So what if reaching chaperone bounds temporarily breaks the sense of presence requiring you to physically reset yourself? This is not inherently any worse than instinctively taking a step to the side to dodge an attack only to realize that you're rooted in place. If you're a human in game, it's logical (fundamentally hardwired into our brains even) that you'll want to perform human actions within the virtual space. Sure we can adapt and not use human actions. This is how we've managed to use tools and evolve as a species. This requires a mode shift in thinking though.
First, I don’t think “presence schmesence” is a very good argument. Also, I disagree with your claim that encouraging users to stop using their legs is just as harmful to presence as encouraging them to seek out the tracking boundaries. Which mindset seems better suited to keeping the user firmly grounded in the experience?
  1. ”Here, I move with my hands.”
  2. ”Here, I can walk anywhere I want. Well, except in this direction. And this one, apparently, But hey, that means I should be able to… Oh, I guess it was further than I thought.”

Sidestepping an attack using your hand to reposition yourself is just as easy as doing the same with your foot, and it will seem just as natural to you with a bit of practice. It also has the advantage of keeping your physical self safely centered within the trackable volume, as far as you can possibly get from the presence-destroying tracking boundaries and shin-destroying coffee tables.

Besides, you can weave the chaperone bounds themselves into the game fiction as a tool if you wanted to make it no more immersion breaking than artificial locomotion. Make the chaperone bounds represent a kekkai / force field that creates a "safe zone" within an otherwise inhospitable world. You can teleport/ratchet/artificial-locomotion yourself around, but your position within the field is always maintained. Now the chaperone bounds have presence in the virtual world that matches your true reality, and can be treated like any other tool. Heck, you could make them visible 24/7 with some translucent shimmery effect even. Will it make logical sense in all applications? No. But neither does any form of artificial locomotion. Your brain will adapt (or get pulled out by the absurdity).

Also, for your example of walking back to chaperone center in order to ratchet the enemy within the bounds and then walking back to it... You could just as easily have ratcheted yourself up an extra step while at the edge of the bounds and picked at the enemy. Alternatively, move further than the corpse and grab it on your way back to the chaperone center. Not everything has to be so complicated. =P
Sorry, but did you actually read my entire post? I made precisely the same argument, and argued further than because I know that ultimately, I will always be forced to failover to ratcheting, then it was pretty stupid of me to burn the time and calories trying to walk towards the corpse in the first place, because all I got for my trouble was yet another chap-slap.

Regarding your suggesting to ratchet past the corpse so you can loot it when you pass it again during your stroll back to the center, you’re just describing another time sink which serves to highlight the disconnect between the two realities rather than disguise it. IOW, it’s aggravating the problem rather than alleviating it. Similarly, making the CB ever-present only eliminates the problem of destroying the user’s sense of presence insofar as preventing them from properly establishing a sense of presence in the first place, given the continuous reminder that they’re not actually here but rather still in meatspace, where they can hurt themselves if they’re not mindful. Sure, you could probably work it in to the lore, if you're willing to limit yourself to designs where such a thing makes sense.

Seeing the Chaperone grid is a more tolerable side-effect than smacking my face into a desk corner.
Sure, and if those were the only two options, then I too would gladly choose the former. However, the point I’m trying to make here is that we actually have a third option available to us, wherein we simply stop advising the user to actively break tracking.

What you're describing is bested by the Walkabout solution.
After watching the Walkabout video, get back to us. It's not as much of an immersion killer since you still feel connected physically to the Chaperone and floaties.
Err, that’s precisely the system I described here:
”A more sophisticated solution would be some sort of Ignore Me mode, allowing you to move freely through meatspace without affecting your location in cyberspace. This would allow you to skip ratcheting entirely, since you wouldn’t be getting any further from the corpse as you walked away from it. You may actually want to fade the VE out and the CB in during this process, because I imagine that being present in two environments simultaneously yet having your movement only reflected in one of them would be somewhat disorienting.. So in effect, you’d be stepping out of one reality in to another to take a few steps backwards, which allows you to then return to the original reality at the precise point from which you left, thereby continuing your stroll completely without interruption.”

Perhaps I could’ve been more clear, but the “completely without interruption” comment was meant to be facetious, as was the, "Just like real life," comment before it. As you can see in the video, he’s being interrupted more or less continuously to pull himself out of the reality he’s actually interested in, and in to a reality where he’s able to locomote before finally returning to his real focus. So his sense of presence never lasts any longer than it takes him to walk three paces.

Actually, you even quoted the bit where speculated about the possibility of a WalkAbout type system… Do you guys even bother to read through my arguments before you start trying to counter them?=/

Pulling yourself around in space doesn't feel weightless. You STILL have inertia from your body. You have to use muscle to accelerate or decelerate. So no. Ratcheting with your arms will not feel like you're an astronaut.
You’ll get used to it. :p

Since PSVR can't do it, Vive must not either!
/sigh And you were doing so well.

When I was on top of a tree in Minecraft on the Vive the other day I was aware of the chaperone bounds, that did not interfere with my mind thinking it was somewhere up high and I really shouldn't take a step forwards or that could be bad things for me.
But as you admit at the beginning of the sentence, you were not as immersed as you could’ve been, because you were in fact aware of the CB.

So my idea was this. You reach out with one tracked controller and execute a 'long click' (ie maybe holding a trigger all the way down). This point in virtual space then becomes the centre point for 360 degree rotation, arbitrated by long clicks on the other controller. In other words you use your left hand to rotate yourself around your right hand.

And then let go. Or pull. Or push.

The further away the second reference point is from the first, would instinctively govern the speed at which rotation took place. You could even factor in zoom controls, by means of the common touchscreen gestures of pinching and pulling apart.

This could of course be a fast track to nausea, coming from someone who hasn't tried any VR products yet. The way I imagine it though, it could be very natural, and lead to some 'hardcore' or competitive type experiences. It should kind of be a lot like swimming.

Any thoughts?
That’s actually unnecessarily complicated. The wands already track rotation in addition to translation, so if you want to change your facing, you simply twist the wand until you’re pointed in the desired direction.

Have you used the Vive? After a week of using it every night the chaperone and teleport and then walk around in room scale system has become such second nature and so natural. It never was awkward but now I do it without even thinking about it even though the implementations vary from game to game.
My argument wasn’t that you wouldn’t get used to the regular violations of presence, but rather that you shouldn’t be asked to do so in the first place.

Zalusithix

First, I don’t think “presence schmesence” is a very good argument. Also, I disagree with your claim that encouraging users to stop using their legs is just as harmful to presence as encouraging them to seek out the tracking boundaries. Which mindset seems better suited to keeping the user firmly grounded in the experience?
  1. ”Here, I move with my hands.”
  2. ”Here, I can walk anywhere I want. Well, except in this direction. And this one, apparently, But hey, that means I should be able to… Oh, I guess it was further than I thought.”

Sidestepping an attack using your hand to reposition yourself is just as easy as doing the same with your foot, and it will seem just as natural to you with a bit of practice. It also has the advantage of keeping your physical self safely centered within the trackable volume, as far as you can possibly get from the presence-destroying tracking boundaries and shin-destroying coffee tables.
Once again, you continue to highlight limitations in roomscale and advocate for something even more limited. For all the "grounding" in your roomscaleless utopia, you're severely limited in other ways. General movement limitation this, general movement limitation that, but everything isn't about walking huge distances. Lets take this hypothetical situation: You have a gun in each hand. You want to side step an incoming attack while laying down fire on two enemies and then proceed to duck behind cover.

Roomscale solution: Perform the action just like you would in real life.
Artificial locomotion solution: Drop your guns for some other tool, or in the very least stop using them to make gestures to move around. Alternatively use buttons to perform real life actions. Both options are far more limiting than the roomscale one.

Assuming your game is more than endless walking, you're going to come across more situations like the above where not being able to perform a complex, yet intuitive action ever is more of a setback than running across certain situations where you hit the chaperone bounds. At least in my opinion.

Similarly, making the CB ever-present only eliminates the problem of destroying the user’s sense of presence insofar as preventing them from properly establishing a sense of presence in the first place, given the continuous reminder that they’re not actually here but rather still in meatspace, where they can hurt themselves if they’re not mindful. Sure, you could probably work it in to the lore, if you're willing to limit yourself to designs where such a thing makes sense.
It would be a functional part of that "reality" so it wouldn't stop presence at all. If you erected a force field in a given location and that field is anchored in place, it'd react exactly the same way that the room scale bounds do in the virtual world. Sure you'd have to do hand waving and limit yourself to where it makes sense, but all the artificial locomotion methods are much the same. Teleportation, ratcheting, and so on are hardly realistic methods and motions by real world physics standards.

Alas, I'm getting to the point where I'm caring less and less about these things. At least as far as concerning myself with what other people want goes. There are people enjoying what roomscale offers right now. There are devs taking advantage of it. I'll just have fun in that group while having access to everything else to boot. Well I will when my Vive gets here at least. Other people are free to limit themselves for any reason they so chose.

Seeing as you're sidestepping the question I'm guessing that's a no for trying a Vive :p

The chaperone just becomes additional geometry after awhile, the point stands high presence is still easily achieved even with those borders appearing.

Compsiox

Banned
Seeing as you're sidestepping the question I'm guessing that's a no for trying a Vive :p

The chaperone just becomes additional geometry after awhile, the point stands high presence is still easily achieved even with those borders appearing.
You can make it so chaperone is basically invisible by using the developer setting and putting opacity at its lowest

pj

Banned
blah blah blah

My argument wasn’t that you wouldn’t get used to the regular violations of presence, but rather that you shouldn’t be asked to do so in the first place.

Why do you spend this much time trying to convince other people (and yourself) that room scale isn't important and teleportation isn't adequate for it? Scrolling through the first page of your post history gives the answer to this, but I guess we can't say it without getting a condescending dismissal in reply.

How about you try it for 15 minutes before your next dissertation on the subject?

As to the last of your 50 responses, I can't comprehend the level of mental gymnastics going on in your head to make that statement.

How on earth is it more presence breaking to say "oh, I guess I can't walk over there" than "oh, I guess I can't walk." You think it's not ok to be asked to get accustomed to teleportation, but literally chopping your(virtual)self off at the hips is fine?

Here is a Venn diagram on the whole topic of game design for VR:
designqfkog.png

Basically, the major limitations compared to screen design are introduced in any form of VR. Successively more capable interaction systems then allow for more entirely new experiences.

WARNING: Opinion piece.

This was perfect, thank you. I don't know what is so hard to understand about this. More possibilities, options and so on have been proven to be better for the health of the PC world. At least that's what it always seemed like to me. It's hard to see why exactly this is a point of contention. There will always be standards but in a healthy PC environment there will also always be things pushing beyond those standards as well. this is how we grow.

Now, If the question is what should the standard be at the moment then shouldn't we be striving for more instead of less? Like the saying goes, reach for the stars and you may at least get the moon. But reach for a rock and you're going to get a rock.

In other words, if we as the forerunners of this movement say to everyone, "This sub par experience is what we want to settle with." then that is exactly what we are going to get if they care at all. But if we say, "Look at this! This amazingness is what we are striving for!" then we may get it or at the least have much more options to settle with that hurt less.

At the onset of living room theaters where a measly TV set had been the standard men had to beg and plead with their wives to make the room to install them because it was viewed as highly impractical. But the experience eventually turned out to be so compelling that the benefits outweighed the negatives in the end. Now people even plan for it when building and designing new homes even to the extent of man caves.

Now at the time a single TV set with built in speakers was the standard and it took forever for home theaters to become adopted and it can be argued that they still really aren't very widely. Right now though, we have the opportunity to make roomscale the standard first and not just the single TV (Seated VR). For VR (or roomscale) to succeed in this same way we need an experience that is so compelling that people are willing to do the same thing all over again not something sub par.

Right now roomscale is what I want the standard to be because as shown in the diagram Durant posted it encompasses and provides more possibilities and variations to fit both developers and consumers needs and or wants more than anything else so far. At this point I don't think it is unreasonable at least in the PC space and I think the sooner we set this standard the sooner we can look to expound upon VR even further and reach for the stars again.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Why do you spend this much time trying to convince other people (and yourself) that room scale isn't important and teleportation isn't adequate for it? Scrolling through the first page of your post history gives the answer to this, but I guess we can't say it without getting a condescending dismissal in reply.

How about you try it for 15 minutes before your next dissertation on the subject?

As to the last of your 50 responses, I can't comprehend the level of mental gymnastics going on in your head to make that statement.

How on earth is it more presence breaking to say "oh, I guess I can't walk over there" than "oh, I guess I can't walk." You think it's not ok to be asked to get accustomed to teleportation, but literally chopping your(virtual)self off at the hips is fine?

Seriously! Hopefully silversurfer can try a Vive before wearing his keyboard down to a nub. :p

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Ughh, i wish i had my vive already. I could have multiple videos up detailing different movement models in a few hours.

Anyways, locomotion in vr is only limited by what you are comfortable with.

We plan on supporting wasd (joystick) traditional movement, a special wasd directional teleportation system, point and shoot teleportation and room scale in our game.

Players will always have access to roomscale and they can choose which of the other three they are most comfortable with.

Thats just 3 methods out of the dozens that other devs are likely working on.

I will say that the only 100% VR ready form of locomotion is via omnidirectional treadmill. Particularly one that let's you jump and crouch.

Just wanted to say that since I got bored ( actually it's more about being impatient but knowing I won't get Vive before May, and Oculus before June ) and remembered your post, I gave a quick ( and still very very very incomplete ) try at a tabletop in UE4 for VR.
( I'm doing this test with the game Battlecon, not X-wing, but the idea is there )

It's nothing too fancy, and I doubt I'll go as far as to make it complete ( not sure I could actually ), but damn I was already eager to play tabletop games in VR, and after doing that quick test ( with just a dk2 ) I'm even more convinced that VR will make it better ( sadly it did make me see how much better it would look in UE4 compared to tabletop simulator ).

i came

taoofjord

There was a game or tech demo previewed by the media a year or so ago and I'm trying to remember the name of.You're (I think) a wizard on a cable suspended wooden platform elevated off the ground in some fantasy world. There's a giant creature you can interact with and you can interact with lots of stuff on the platform while it moves overtop a forest or something. Any ideas? (I don't think it's Waltz of the Wizard, based off its gameplay videos)

It wasn't long ago, we were getting similar articles from serversurfer about why using IR for tracking was the wrong choice for Oculus and why they should have used the same solution as Sony and the move controllers.

Yoritomo

Can anyone recommend a decent not too expensive head set for this? I don't really want to use the ear buds.

I'd suggest the koss portapro or the ksc75. ksc75 usually ends up with wire problems after a while. They sound good but are kind of fragile.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Sightline: The Chair demo/experience is available for both Vive and Rift now.

SightLine: The Chair, is a surreal experience designed as a demoing tool. Crafted to throw users into the world of VR, and show off it's full potential both in creating variety of worlds that feel real and creating realities that behave unlike anything you might know.

I never got to try this until now and it was very interesting. Especially the final part. My brain almost sued me for this. Very nice.

jotun?

So it seems fairly unanimous that the Rift CV1 is more comfortable to wear than the Vive. But can anyone compare how the Vive compares to the DK2 in comfort?

Compsiox

Banned
So it seems fairly unanimous that the Rift CV1 is more comfortable to wear than the Vive. But can anyone compare how the Vive compares to the DK2 in comfort?

I could only use my DK2 for like 4 hours at a time due to discomfort. I wore my Vive for 12 hours everyday during the weekend I got it. It's definitely much more comfortable than the DK2.

daniels

Hmm seems like treadmills are still the best solution for movement in large scale (if you have the money) dont think this will change anytime soon.

Cartman86

Banned

Hmmm I don't remember having a ton of trouble with the DK2 in that regard. I notice the Vive more though because i'm moving around and I don't like the shake that occurs if you don't wear it tight enough which can cause it to be more uncomfortable. I think all of this is going to be incredibly dependent on the user. You have a big thing on your face though. It's going to do something at some point. Especially if you are playing a more slow paced thing. In something like Space Pirate Trainer i'm moving around like crazy and forget all about the headset until it's over.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I like this early days of VR. Another game popped up on Steam out of the blue. Early access, but VR is in early access as a whole anyhow.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/451840

From the creator of Day Z.

Out of Ammo is an intense virtual reality strategy game for the HTC Vive that puts you in the commander's seat against wave after wave of soldiers. Built exclusively for the HTC Vive to make use of motion tracking, the game allows you to move around the battlefield to build defenses and issue orders. You can even directly possess your units to directly engage the enemy making use of cover and preparing your magazines carefully so you don't.... run out of ammo!

It's like ongoing Christmas with all these games popping up.

Once again, you continue to highlight limitations in roomscale and advocate for something even more limited. For all the "grounding" in your roomscaleless utopia, you're severely limited in other ways. General movement limitation this, general movement limitation that, but everything isn't about walking huge distances. Lets take this hypothetical situation: You have a gun in each hand. You want to side step an incoming attack while laying down fire on two enemies and then proceed to duck behind cover.

Roomscale solution: Perform the action just like you would in real life.
Artificial locomotion solution: Drop your guns for some other tool, or in the very least stop using them to make gestures to move around. Alternatively use buttons to perform real life actions. Both options are far more limiting than the roomscale one.
Well, no, because there's nothing stopping me from performing the same physical sidestep to dodge the attack while laying down covering fire with both hands. Then I just hold the ratcheting button as I make my return to center, pulling myself behind the cover in the process. Or I could simply dodge the attack initially by ratcheting myself behind cover, which is far more effective than your dodge would be, because I can move my hand a lot faster than you can move your entire body.

But your first instinct is still to shift your entire meatbag. That's fine. So what happens when there's a physical wall in the way of your instinctive dodge? Which is more real to you, the fireball or the wall? Your sense of presence was firmly rooted in whichever environment you picked, and I suspect you didn't pick the virtual environment, as was our goal.

Actually, our goal was to make you forget there was even a decision to be made, and it seems we've failed miserably in that regard. The user who's learned to move with their hands instead of their feet is never presented with such a decision, because they never get closer to the wall. They can easily dodge in any direction at any time. Thusly, their sense of presence in the virtual environment is maintained. Will they eventually teeter their way out of the trackable zone? Of course they will, even if you can track an entire football field, but it will take a hell of a lot longer than would if you sent them trucking straight towards the edge.

And that's the real point here. You keep saying I'm focusing on the limitations of Lighthouse and proposing we replace it with a more limited system, but that's not what I'm doing. Why would we replace Lighthouse at all? It's the most capable tracking system we really have access to.

But having a larger tracking volume only helps you so much. Hitting the tracking limits is bad, so having them further away is better, but that doesn't make hitting them any less bad. If your trackable volume doesn’t correspond to your game environment, you’re going to have mismatches, and that’s a violation of presence every time the user finds one.

Yes, yes, this is all well and good, but what if we needed to crouch to avoid that attack? Well, if you’re still super attached to your meatbag, then go right ahead. If you’ve abandoned it to a comfy chair or a hammock somewhere like a normal person, then just ratchet your head up and down through the range of available heights. If you’ve got a rag doll following you, the system just shows it to be standing or stooping or whatever. Or maybe instead of crouching down, I’m actually getting really tiny… Hey, look. Now I’m Antman, changing my size at will as I hurl myself through keyholes with some well timed ratchet vaults. You can do whatever you like now; it’s not like your meatbag is going anywhere.

Ratcheting may seem like a ridiculous amount of abstraction, but it's actually far less abstraction than what we've been dealing with for the last 50 years — that's why it doesn't make you sick — and figuring out what all you can do here has always been part of video gaming. Git gud, son. Don't you wanna play Celerity Ninja 3 with us?

Assuming your game is more than endless walking, you're going to come across more situations like the above where not being able to perform a complex, yet intuitive action ever is more of a setback than running across certain situations where you hit the chaperone bounds. At least in my opinion.
As I explained above, I don’t think these intuitive actions are nearly as complex or difficult to perform as you seem to think. Conversely, I think environments more than three paces long are typically quite common in video games.

It would be a functional part of that "reality" so it wouldn't stop presence at all. If you erected a force field in a given location and that field is anchored in place, it'd react exactly the same way that the room scale bounds do in the virtual world. Sure you'd have to do hand waving and limit yourself to where it makes sense, but all the artificial locomotion methods are much the same. Teleportation, ratcheting, and so on are hardly realistic methods and motions by real world physics standards.
Well, no. As I was telling Zap, teleportation has some complications, but a basic ratcheting implementation is pretty natural and straightforward. Sure, the lack of inertia makes it unnaturally fast, but the range is short, and once everyone in the world moves similarly, it will seem perfectly normal, just as circle-strafing at 20m/s does now in CoD.

Users don’t need “real world physics standards,” and as I’ve said before, I think we’ll have more design options to us if we don’t arbitrarily constrain ourselves to them. What they really don’t need are experiences where they need to stop every three paces and wait for their meatbag to catch up. I mean, playing through two or three of those might be interesting from an intellectual curiosity standpoint, but going on WalkAbout for dozens of games? Just let me get on with it already. And how does that work with multiplayer? The other players walk for three seconds, disappear for five, then reappear and walk for three more? Yeah, that sounds way more realistic than my suggestion of walking with your hands… =/

Anyway, you’re basically just arguing that rather that avoiding the tracking bounds as I suggest, you can incorporate them in to your gameplay. Of course you can, and that was my initial argument; there’s only so much you can do with physical locomotion unless you’re willing to build a build a comparatively large facility. Why? Because every time the user reaches the tracking bounds, unless it's also the game bounds, they gotta stop and figure something else out before they can progress.

So knowing that will always be an issue, why not just avoid it from the get go and stick with the abstraction? Either you’ve eliminated the need for abstraction or you haven’t, and constantly changing your “primary” form of locomotion is both immersion-breaking and tiresome. You still can’t make it out of your room without ratcheting (or whatever), and if you can ratchet, why would you ever walk?? As you argued at the top of the page, you never would. You'd do the sensible thing and ratchet to the corpses, because stopping to futz with the CB is nothing more than an unnecessary complication.

So we have ratcheting, which allows full freedom of player movement, subject only to developer constraints. "No, you can't ratchet yourself straight in to the air. Sure, you can hop around a little bit. No, you can't clip through the walls, but you can scale this one. Hang on tight. You unlocked Spider Ninja; scale whatever you like and don't worry about falling." Best of all, it never ever fails to deliver the expected results, so it never ever breaks presence. (Presumably, any dev constraints will be similarly predictable, at least in context.) So given the presence of this necessary system, what does wandering around your bedroom bring to the party beyond regular reminders that you're really still just stuck in a bedroom? Reminders which typically come in the form of blocked progress followed by a compensatory adjustment phase performed by the user.

When do we get to the part where physical locomotion becomes a huge win? Because so far I'm behind on presence, playability, and couches.

Alas, I'm getting to the point where I'm caring less and less about these things. At least as far as concerning myself with what other people want goes. There are people enjoying what roomscale offers right now. There are devs taking advantage of it. I'll just have fun in that group while having access to everything else to boot. Well I will when my Vive gets here at least. Other people are free to limit themselves for any reason they so chose.
Okay then. I think this stuff is sorta important.

Actually, I was just staying on topic. ;) So I suppose you could say I sidestepped your attempt to sidestep, yes. :p

As I said earlier, I’ve used Virtuality and Gear. Move too, obviously, if that counts for anything. How much ratcheting have you done? How many times have you seen it demonstrated?
See what I did there?

It still exists as a reminder that the virtual environment is nothing more than that, which is precisely the opposite of the effect we’re trying to achieve here. We have a myriad of systems working together to make your brain say, “Yes, this is really happening,” and a single system designed to apply the brakes and say, “Nah, you're still in your room.” It exists solely to ground you in reality, and it does precisely that.

Standing at the edge of a cliff is our classic example for presence, yes? Your brain should be telling the rest of your body, “Holy shit! Watch the fuck out! One gust of wind and we fall to our deaths!!” The chaperone’s job is to say, “Nah, you’re alright, but you're about to stumble backwards in to your coffee table, so if anything, chose the safety of the cliff.”

Cliff or coffee table? Fireball or wall? Those are decisions the user should never be making. That’s not presence.

Seriously! Hopefully silversurfer can try a Vive before wearing his keyboard down to a nub. :p
Anyone in the midwest wanna let me come try theirs? lol

Texas is a bit of a trek, Krej, but it might be worth it if you knock up something I can ratchet around in…

It wasn't long ago, we were getting similar articles from serversurfer about why using IR for tracking was the wrong choice for Oculus and why they should have used the same solution as Sony and the move controllers.
That’s still the case, and while I would say Touch is the better controller overall thanks to its additional inputs and ability to get a true yaw lock, the impressive girth of it’s tracking ring is a direct result of the comparatively poor visibility of IR markers.

He's graced us with his daily treatise, now to jet off into the fog to right VR wrongs in another dimension...

But seriously, do you only get to decide what gets to be "the topic" of discussion in a huge ongoing thread that holds various meandering tangents? Of course not, and your lack of experience with a chaperone system and a Vive IS relevant to whether or not presence is still maintainable within that system. I've had the experience, I've told you I still achieve presence despite it being there, and yet you say that isn't presence cause reasons. So please, go try a bloody Vive before espousing on the merits of purity of presence if you have no experiential frame of reference from which to draw. It's a buncha hot air otherwise. But please, give us another periodical to go through to explain why that doesn't matter.

edit: And you didn't even read my post, you gave the height example as the presence test which was exactly what I used in mine when discussing Minecraft and the chaperone system being seen.

DavidDesu

I haven't seen this posted and thought it was relevant..

http://fortune.com/2016/04/15/gamestop-playstation-vr-demos-key-to-sony-marketing/

During a presentation to GameStop GME 0.44% executives and investors on Thursday, Koller said Sony SNE -3.44% will be offering consumers over 500,000 in-store demos across retailers from June through December this year.

Paul Raines, CEO of GameStop, said, “We’ve played all the VR that’s come through our office, and the setup time for PlayStation VR is significantly easier and the space required to demo is small, so I expect we’ll have a lot of demos in stores, unlike the Oculus or HTC

Koller said Sony’s target audience for PlayStation VR in the first year is PS4 connoisseurs—the gamers who were waiting in line in the snow to be first to pick up their PS4.

“They’re active, buying a lot of games and really enjoy PS4,” Koller said. “That’s going to be the early active PlayStation VR consumer.”

That consumer overlaps very nicely with GameStop’s PowerUp Rewards customers. Bartel said over 1 million PowerUp Rewards members have already shown interest in purchasing PlayStation VR. And the headset preorder bundles sold out almost instantly.

That one million interested in purchasing is quite a figure. Nothing definitive of course but for largely unknown tech that's a good interest rate surely. The fact this is easy enough for them to setup lots of demos can only be a good thing, for VR in general but definitely for PSVR over its competition.
Eyes on in such a public space will really help.

Zalusithix

Okay then. I think this stuff is sorta important.

It's important if you're a developer, in which case you try everything out and see what works instead of basing everything on conjecture.

For everybody else, it's just a debate topic, and debates only serve a purpose in changing one side's position, or swaying third parties. The first aspect is obviously not going to happen. It's pretty clear that nobody is going to convince you that roomscale has merit. As far as swaying others goes, they're better off making up their own minds based on real life experience rather than basing it on either of our opinions.

Thus, my interest in continuing this road to nowhere is exhausted.

Arulan

You continue to post your lengthy not-so-subtly-motivated views on room-scale VR, but you can't back up the core of your entire argument: that chaperone breaks presence.

You've admittedly not tried high-end VR and the sense of presence that comes with it, nor the effects and differences that walking around, standing, and sitting has to it, least of all the effects of chaperone.

Finally, the experiences of users in this very thread, and of others elsewhere based on anecdotal observations seems to indicate that chaperone doesn't break presence.

So, I have to ask, based on no experience on your part to draw from, where did this idea of chaperone breaking presence originate, and where is the supporting evidence to back this claim up?

pj

Banned
I haven't seen this posted and thought it was relevant..

http://fortune.com/2016/04/15/gamestop-playstation-vr-demos-key-to-sony-marketing/

That one million interested in purchasing is quite a figure. Nothing definitive of course but for largely unknown tech that's a good interest rate surely. The fact this is easy enough for them to setup lots of demos can only be a good thing, for VR in general but definitely for PSVR over its competition.
Eyes on in such a public space will really help.

How does psvr take less space than rift? How is it easier to setup?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The whole chaperone breaking presence is such a bullshit. I understand it somehow coming from someone who didn't even try it. but even so, you can set different degrees for it from beginner to developer (and I did that for TheBlu and I forgot to set it back for the next game, so in Quar I almost hit the furniture being absorbed in my movement of troops). Chaperone is great for games, it's a fact. And it can be set to minimal when is not needed.

Zalusithix

How does psvr take less space than rift? How is it easier to setup?

Well, a PS4 is smaller than most VR capable computers... marginally. Setup wise, it's a closed system so not as much having to worry about OS/driver updates, and it's probably easier to lock into a kiosk mode. Probably helps that it's cheaper too.

Basically the points really only apply to Gamestop, not consumers. Not that they needed those reasons in the first place. PC gamers don't really go to Gamestop, so of course they'll focus on what will actually bring them in money: PSVR. It could take up 5x as much room and require a masters degree in EE to set up, and they'd still demo it because it makes more financial sense.

Top Bottom