• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

artsi

Spoilers for Rift setup and store. Looks like they are going for a visually appealing and inviting setup. The minimum three foot distance for the camera is pretty tough for desktop scenarios. Curious what the tracking volume is at 2 feet because the DK2's was shit.

The setup looks very slick.

Here's some Touch object placement / manipulation with the Unity Editor. Looks nice, like the UE4 one did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospGhrSzKe4&feature=youtu.be&t=175

Also looks like the Touch controllers are quite durable, and that's good because I think some of us will forget the wrist strap and accidentally throw them as "grenades" or something :p

It turns out that playtesting an in-progress game for the Oculus Rift and its Oculus Touch controllers can sometimes result in frustrating moments. During their GDC talk, the Epic duo mentioned some of the incidents that the touch controllers survived.

Being thrown across the room .
Being thrown into a wall.
Being punched into a wall hard enough to remove some of the plaster.

"These controllers are indestructible," Donaldson said

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/15/11240642/bullet-train-epic-games-vr-demo

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Spoilers for Rift setup and store. Looks like they are going for a visually appealing and inviting setup. The minimum three foot distance for the camera is pretty tough for desktop scenarios. Curious what the tracking volume is at 2 feet because the DK2's was shit.

ouch, but not unexpected given the field of view of the camera. does that support standing or would you need further distance than that? if i could mount mine on the wall behind my monitor above head height, that would help. but I'm going to need to move some stuff to give me space to swivel..

edit: I've also been wondering about lighthouse placement. Here is a rough plan of my spare room.
d7hDsmW.jpg

Its only 2.2m deep (just over 7ft) as it is a converted garage, so there isn't much room generally. The PC desk is pushed into the top left corner and there is a shelf with my printer behind my chair (which is a fairly large comfy office chair).

I was thinking to set the lighthouses up at either end of the room, so my PC side would be used for seated games, and the right hand side would be used for standing games (no room to move around really). The most convenient places to put the lighthouses would be the bottom left and top right corners in that image, as I have easy access to sockets (top right area has no sockets at all). But I would be worried that for any seated games, the closest lighthouse would be pointing at the back of my head so wouldn't have a good view. Would it be better to put it in the top left so it is facing me?

Also, the dotted lines indicate restricted height - there is a central beam about a foot (30cm) deep running across the room. So I'd probably have to place the right-hand lighthouse a bit lower down to avoid it being occluded. There might also be a risk of smacking my controllers into it if I'm waving my arms about, and likewise for the pendant light in the right hand side of the room.

artsi

ouch, but not unexpected given the field of view of the camera. does that support standing or would you need further distance than that? if i could mount mine on the wall behind my monitor above head height, that would help. but I'm going to need to move some stuff to give me space to swivel..

The setup actually has standing instructions, and no camera adjustments are mentioned so I guess no.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how many of you are getting a PSVR and one of the PC VR systems? I'm thinking PSVR will be good for exclusives and as a living room VR for everyone to enjoy. I just hope the OR/Vive difference isn't so great that I avoid using PSVR. lots of positive impressions from demos, but living with both alongside each other for some time might amplify the differences

tr00per

how many of you are getting a PSVR and one of the PC VR systems? I'm thinking PSVR will be good for exclusives and as a living room VR for everyone to enjoy. I just hope the OR/Vive difference isn't so great that I avoid using PSVR. lots of positive impressions from demos, but living with both alongside each other for some time might amplify the differences

I will be getting psvr and waiting to see the consensus on OR and Vive and the state of wrappers, touch vs lighthouse, storefronts and such after my next pc upgrade. The exclusives on the psvr should be pretty good. Especially if the launch numbers are strong.

I'm getting both OR and PSVR.
PSVR will most likely be better and at the ready for having friends over and such.
I'm really not too worried about the differences in image quality this early on. I have tried both PSVR and DK2 and I honestly could not tell the difference between the two when playing something like Eve Valkyrie.

The reason I'm getting a PC VR headset mainly is to have one on an open platform. I don't have space for something like Vive. I live in an apartment.

I will be getting psvr and waiting to see the consensus on OR and Vive and the state of wrappers, touch vs lighthouse, storefronts and such after my next pc upgrade. The exclusives on the psvr should be pretty good. Especially if the launch numbers are strong.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards getting PSVR now, mainly for exclusives (Driveclub, Rez, etc), and one of the PC solutions for multiplatform stuff after I upgrade my PC. Right now I'm on a 970, and I'd rather experience PC VR at it's best, so I'll wait until Pascal/Polaris drop to get one.

It's really the same logic I use for normal games, I have all the consoles for their exclusives and play multiplatform stuff on the PC (except for multiplayer focused games where I go with PS4 because of my friends, or Vita/3DS if it's a game I prefer to play on the commute).

Yeah, I'm leaning towards getting PSVR now, mainly for exclusives (Driveclub, Rez, etc), and one of the PC solutions for multiplatform stuff after I upgrade my PC. Right now I'm on a 970, and I'd rather experience PC VR at it's best, so I'll wait until Pascal/Polaris drop to get one.

It's really the same logic I use for normal games, I have all the consoles for their exclusives and play multiplatform stuff on the PC (except for multiplayer focused games where I go with PS4 because of my friends, or Vita/3DS if it's a game I prefer to play on the commute).

Hopefully by that time there will be higher definition displays for the headsets.

Ordered Vive. Will be getting a PSVR when the exclusives build up.

Mikeside

I'll probably get a PSVR sometime down the line, but I'll probably wait until next summer at least.

Unless there's a real Vive game drought that lasts through christmas, in which case I might jump ship to PSVR temporarily until the second gen

fred

Have devs talked about how they are going to accomplish games like skyrim or even linear shooters like cod?

VR looks awesome for flight, car, or mech simulation and neat on rails (in place) experiences but i am not seeing many rpgs or action games with traditional movement.

Are those games only going to work with omnidirectional treadmills? Ive seen multiple people state vr movement with a controller leads to sickness.

Oculus and HTC having 90Hz displays should lessen simulation sickness for a lot of people as long as developers keep their games optimised and are at a steady 90fps framerate.

And if you start off playing for 15 minutes for your first go and increasing that time by 5 minutes every following time you'll get more accustomed to things and build up a resistance to simulation sickness.

Zalusithix

edit: I've also been wondering about lighthouse placement. Here is a rough plan of my spare room.
d7hDsmW.jpg

Its only 2.2m deep (just over 7ft) as it is a converted garage, so there isn't much room generally. The PC desk is pushed into the top left corner and there is a shelf with my printer behind my chair (which is a fairly large comfy office chair).

I was thinking to set the lighthouses up at either end of the room, so my PC side would be used for seated games, and the right hand side would be used for standing games (no room to move around really). The most convenient places to put the lighthouses would be the bottom left and top right corners in that image, as I have easy access to sockets (top right area has no sockets at all). But I would be worried that for any seated games, the closest lighthouse would be pointing at the back of my head so wouldn't have a good view. Would it be better to put it in the top left so it is facing me?

Also, the dotted lines indicate restricted height - there is a central beam about a foot (30cm) deep running across the room. So I'd probably have to place the right-hand lighthouse a bit lower down to avoid it being occluded. There might also be a risk of smacking my controllers into it if I'm waving my arms about, and likewise for the pendant light in the right hand side of the room.
What's the unit in the middle of the room, and can it be moved against the wall? It would simplify your situation a bit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's the unit in the middle of the room, and can it be moved against the wall? It would simplify your situation a bit.

low bookshelf - used for boardgame storage and general crap. It could be moved against the wall but then there is the sofabed right next to it so I don't know how much that'll help :)

GReeeeN

Now I have no idea which one to buy..

PSVR is very tempting at $550 AUD compared to the Vive ($1,450 AUD) which I was originally looking at... It's nearly 3x the price!!!. The Vive will also require a $500+ AUD GPU to run most games at 90fps+, and that makes the investment well over $2000 AUD. This has made me really reconsider the Vive and just picking up the PSVR.

What are some killer Apps on PSVR??, the only "game" I'm really looking forward to is Adrift, but i definitely want to future proof and the PC/ Vive will have unlimited opportunities in the future being on PC.

Is the PSVR and Vive/ OR that much different in terms of pixel quality and overall presentation. I do usually try to get the best tech in terms of future proofing, but when it costs 4x the price for an extra 100 or so pixels is it really worth it?

whats everyone take on this?, especially with the massive price different in Australia

Zalusithix

low bookshelf - used for boardgame storage and general crap. It could be moved against the wall but then there is the sofabed right next to it so I don't know how much that'll help :)

If it gives enough room to fully extend your hands in any direction while standing away from your desk it might be worth looking into. It's kind of hard to tell with a picture that's obviously not perfectly to scale. I'm having a hard time placing the lighthouses in that diagram in such a way that both sides of the room are covered without the possibility of occlusion happening from some obstacle.

At any rate, as is, you'd probably be best with one lighthouse located in the upper left. That would be better suited for seated play at the desk. Perhaps position it a couple feet down from the ceiling. This should allow it to cast higher than the beam height on the standing side. Lack of height on the left hand side wont matter for seated play. It also allows it to have line of sight with the other unit mounted above the door in the lower right. That one should catch you in a seated position at the desk (Assuming the shelf unit in the middle is lower than your seated head, or at least low enough to cast a clear vector from it to the lighthouse.), and will provide good coverage of the right hand side of the room. The door wall would be the primary facing direction for standing VR with the most resilience to occlusion.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Oculus and HTC having 90Hz displays should lessen simulation sickness for a lot of people as long as developers keep their games optimised and are at a steady 90fps framerate.

And if you start off playing for 15 minutes for your first go and increasing that time by 5 minutes every following time you'll get more accustomed to things and build up a resistance to simulation sickness.

Ok cool, so its something you can get over. That is nice to hear.

Zalusithix

Ok cool, so its something you can get over. That is nice to hear.

To be clear, it's something you might be able to get over. Some will only manage to lessen the effect. Others will find adapting nearly impossible. This is one of those things that has too many variables in play to make any concrete statements.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
To be clear, it's something you might be able to get over. Some will only manage to lessen the effect. Others will find adapting nearly impossible. This is one of those things that has too many variables in play to make any concrete statements.

What about third person games where your head is just the camera following a character?Will this make you sick or is it just a first person thing?

Foggy

30 games that look sensibly priced with a bunch of variety. Solid.

Can't wait to watch the Tested video. Those guys are the cream of the crop.

I guess HTC delaying the VIVE was worth it. Watching this video at ign where they are playing oculus rift and the ign girl punches a nearby tv.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/03/16/6-rad-oculus-games-we-saw-at-gdc-2016

Yeah, Oculus need a Chaperone-like solution by launch. I'm sure that they know that, because launching without one would be bad.

All VR experiences are going to end up with people doing things like this.

Sure, it could still happen, but Vive's Chaperone would've likely prevented this specific occurrence entirely. Alanah floated her hands near the wall/screen for a bit before eventually punching the screen. The Chaperone system would've popped in the warning grid long before she got there, and she would've, at least, known there was a wall nearby. Whether or not, she kept going and still hit the wall would've been entirely on her.

Like Alanah said, she had no idea the wall/screen was there, and that's a huge problem.

Mikeside

gdcblog4.png

that looks fucking cool.

I really hope I can do something similar with the Vive

also, every time I see anything to do with EVE Valkyrie, my heart sinks a little. If that doesn't come to Vive, I'll be pretty upset.

I actually think I'd be likely to jump ship for an Oculus if I could get one for April

What are some killer Apps on PSVR??, the only "game" I'm really looking forward to is Adrift, but i definitely want to future proof and the PC/ Vive will have unlimited opportunities in the future being on PC.

Rez Infinite, Rigs, Driveclub VR, Gran Turismo Sports, Ace Combat 7 and Battlezone are the games I'm most interested in at the moment.
Golem looks interesting as well but we haven't seen much of it yet.

gdcblog4.png

that looks fucking cool.

I really hope I can do something similar with the Vive

also, every time I see anything to do with EVE Valkyrie, my heart sinks a little. If that doesn't come to Vive, I'll be pretty upset.

I actually think I'd be likely to jump ship for an Oculus if I could get one for April

You can browse and do all that in the Vive. Vive also has a "white room" loading thing like this Oculus.

Also, the Rift should be available in VERY limited quantities in retail stores in April. If you're at the back of the queue, it might be a good way to jump the line.

Mikeside

You can browse and do all that in the Vive. Vive also has a "white room" loading thing like this Oculus.

Also, the Rift should be available in VERY limited quantities in retail stores in April. If you're at the back of the queue, it might be a good way to jump the line.

white room sounds all well and good, but I want a cool, zen, virtual house.

Realistically, I'm not really going to switch for a Rift, but I really wish HTC and Valve would give me some more confidence that there'll be games for me to play at launch (they're launching AFTER Rift for god's sake)

I just want a proper stream of information coming from Valve.

Where did you hear this?

Straight from Oculus:

Rift will also be available in limited locations at select retailers starting in April.

Realistically, I'm not really going to switch for a Rift, but I really wish HTC and Valve would give me some more confidence that there'll be games for me to play at launch (they're launching AFTER Rift for god's sake)

The "white room" is just what they call it. There are already ways to populate the space; I'm sure making it a virtual customizable house will be absolutely doable. They're channeling the Matrix with it, where Neo is in a white room and can load in guns, etc.

Also, the Steam store already has 50+ games listed with release dates, many of them being April 5th and others already being out now (Elite, Keep Talking, etc.). I'm legit surprised by the Oculus launch lineup; it's thinner than I expected.

Qassim

Kind of disappointed in this press release - the embargo made me think there was going to be more info than just the launch lineup of the games.

Compsiox

Banned

Vive has plenty of titles coming at launch but only so many support roon scale.

Qassim

I wonder when we're going to hear from Valve at GDC? The press release for things like The Lab said they'd share more at GDC.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
After getting an S7 Edge and Gear VR, I'm starting to worry about the PSVR's resolution. The "honeycomb" effect I'm getting on the Gear where I can clearly make out what seems to be every pixel is kind of hurting immersion. It's still neat, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't annoying.

After getting an S7 Edge and Gear VR, I'm starting to worry about the PSVR's resolution. The "honeycomb" effect I'm getting on the Gear where I can clearly make out what seems to be every pixel is kind of hurting immersion. It's still neat, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't annoying.

Resolution is only one factor. High-end VR devices have custom VR screens with smaller gaps between pixels, higher quality lenses and diffusers and in PSVR's case more subpixels. I'm not saying the screen door effect is gone completely as I haven't tried any consumer hardware, but most reports claim it is extremely minimal.

Mikeside

The "white room" is just what they call it. There are already ways to populate the space; I'm sure making it a virtual customizable house will be absolutely doable. They're channeling the Matrix with it, where Neo is in a white room and can load in guns, etc.

Also, the Steam store already has 50+ games listed with release dates, many of them being April 5th and others already being out now (Elite, Keep Talking, etc.). I'm legit surprised by the Oculus launch lineup; it's thinner than I expected.

Thanks, where did you get the info about white room? I haven't seen anything about it.

Vive has plenty of titles coming at launch but only so many support roon scale.

I don't really care about having room scale games yet tbh. I'm happy with having a few room-scale things to play with for now. I'll wait for that content, I just want some compelling seated content to enjoy at launch.

I guess it's just me getting bummed out because there's loads of Oculus stuff being talked about & Vive just isn't getting the announcements yet.

Soi-Fong

This may be surprise but actually, sub-pixel wise, PSVR has the Rift and Vive beat on that department as they're using the full RGB 1080p spectrum and not the pentile screens that the other two use.

Zalusithix

This may be surprise but actually, sub-pixel wise, PSVR has the Rift and Vive beat on that department as they're using the full RGB 1080p spectrum and not the pentile screens that the other two use.
Being a single screen solution, I don't think they're going to be able to maximize the use of the screen as well as two separate ones. That negates some pixels. On the flip side, they have a lower FOV. So many variables in play

Thanks, where did you get the info about white room? I haven't seen anything about it.

Really? It's all over the Vive previews from this month.

SteamVR also has a very smooth (if bare bones) interface for launching and switching between games without ever taking off the headset. When you first put on the helmet, you're standing in a featureless white room, but you can replace that with some breathtaking panoramas provided by Valve (or one of your own).

My understanding is that they've updated the white room a few times since press started getting their Pre's. I would expect them to add way more features to it over time, including adding actual objects and such.

Top Bottom