• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Wallach

So Sixense was supposed to ship in April. Given they had never made any updates on their KS page about production, I always thought that was kind of a long shot, but oh well. Now, come the end of april, they say they've filmed a video that will explain the shipping situation to everyone. They were supposed to have it out two days ago, but apparently needed the OK from "big wigs" at the company. They said "absolutely, definitely before SVVR starts."

SVVR started like 6 hours ago. Still no update. Why do you do this to yourself, sixense? Don't set a deadline if you can't keep it.

So... I'm guessing nothing ever happened with any STEM news at SVVR?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
revive for lucky but Eve has announced a native Vive supported version..I wouldn't buy the Occulus store revision just yet..unless you already have a CV1 and already bought it

Oh yes, I had forgotten. Really hoping Revive stays alive. I really want to play the Insomniac titles as well.

TheBear

Played a mates vive today, which was my first experience with VR. Just some thoughts I had whilst mucking around with it:

- the view inside the headset is not nearly as clear or focused as I thought it would be. Also surprised by how noticeable the black is on the edges of the lens. screen door effect is quite noticeable but none of these things really matter once you get up and going

- stepping on the cord is annoying. Didn't really feel comfortable walking around the space (2x3m) due to fear of tripping as well as a bulldog that would randomly sniff my shoes

- headset wasn't adjusted properly when I put it on so it was resting on my nose. Once adjusted though it was much better, although it is still quite bulky and heavy

- played the following games:
The lab
Tiltbrush
Budget cuts demo
Space pirate trainer
Job simulator
Fantastic contraption (for like a minute. Couldn't be bothered trying to work it out)

Out of the above I spent the most time in job simulator which was hilarious. Pirate trainer was the most gratifying but I'm a terrible shot and budget cuts was pretty cool but I couldn't work out how to kill the robot. Overall the games were fun but I was kinda done with them pretty quickly

For reference, I have been super excited about VR for a while now, and whilst this hasn't dampened my enthusiasm I am glad I have not made the $1500+'Investment (HMD and gfx card)

I'm pretty happy to hang onto my PSVR preorder and once the PC space matures a bit I might also go there. But for now it just feels like super cool tech demos and hardware that is bleeding edge, warts and all.

Wallach

Nope, a couple of people have tracked down amir at svvr and asked for updates and he tells them to leave him alone.

Seriously disappointing.

He told them to leave him alone? Got damn, haha. I wonder if that thing is actually going to ever see the light of day.

TheBear

OK I was trying to put into terms my issues with the optics. It felt like I was viewing everything through a scuba mask. Did I have the adjustment wrong or is that typical?

I'm saying you didn't play TheBlu first and thus your reaction.

Because

You did not see the whale

So the htc vive has lost a sale

your original post was fine and informative and well thought out. Don't worry about it

Krejlooc

Banned
He told them to leave him alone? Got damn, haha. I wonder if that thing is actually going to ever see the light of day.

that's according to some guy's account on reddit, so grains of salt.

But Reverend Kyle did flag down amir and asked for an update and got a non-response. Just a bunch of "wait for the video" talk.

Didn't sound too hopeful, the language was very non-committal.

Krejlooc

Banned
OK I was trying to put into terms my issues with the optics. It felt like I was viewing everything through a scuba mask. Did I have the adjustment wrong or is that typical?

you can bring the mask closer or further from you by adjusting the dials on the side where the straps reside. If the mask is far out, it makes the "scuba vision" problem more noticeable. But odds are it was already set to the minimum. Yes, the scuba-vision is pretty much what we're limited to at the moment. StarVR, which was originally the Infiniteye, is supposed to have a super wide FOV because of the extra long screens installed:

techspec-slider1.png

A more immediate hack shown off at svvr is to use LEDs around the periphery of the lenses to improve FOV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af42CN2PgKs

the effect you saw is just a limitation of first generation VR headsets. It'll get better eventually.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Anyone here tried out BigScreen?

Yeah, it's very cool. Gives a great sense of presence with the included environment and I was able to watch video and browse GAF without issue. I didn't try the multi-player stuff though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4gxa7u/update_on_severe_red_haze_from_oculus_supportuh_oh/

Oculus support continues to hurt my brain.

Someone has a defective unit and instead of having the end user send it back to be replaced they are asking the person to essentially be a guinea pig in the field and run some tests on the unit for research.

This isn't a dev kit. This isn't a beta. This is a consumer product.

Someone says their shit doesn't work, you replace it and run your own research. This isn't something the end user can repair themselves. Replace it.

Hi Alex,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
The reddish lighting that you have reported experiencing in very dark scenes is something that will be apparent to certain customers in all Rift displays.
The Rift uses very deep blacks and every headset will have varying levels of this reddish lighting which, although typically unnoticeable, can be perceived differently by each customer.
We would like to ask for your help and examine your specific headset for research.
We may not be able to improve your particular experience, but this will help us continue to evaluate and potentially improve our products.
There is a software tool that can check your specific headset settings and help us analyze the reddish lighting you report seeing.
If you would like to proceed with this more detailed examination and using this tool, please confirm the following details:
You are on the latest version of the Oculus runtime, version 1.3.2 The serial number of your Rift unit - located at the bottom of your Rift box The serial number of your Rift headset - located on the inside of your strap, by the right headphone Once I get this information, I'll begin preparations on sending you the software tool and the instructions to begin testing.
Looking forward to your response!
Cheers,
Marlo Oculus Support

Embarrassing business practice by Oculus.

Onemic

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4gxa7u/update_on_severe_red_haze_from_oculus_supportuh_oh/

Someone has a defective unit and instead of having the end user send it back to be replaced they are asking the person to essentially be a guinea pig in the field and run some tests on the unit for research.

Someone says their shit doesn't work, you replace it and run your own research. This isn't something the end user can repair themselves. Replace it.

Can they not just do this themselves? He can just send the headset to them, they send him a new headset, and they do whatever research they want on the defective unit that they now have.

Zaptruder

Banned

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/com...ere_red_haze_from_oculus_supportuh_oh/d2m45ut

TheTwistedGibber said:
We have been in contact with miragevr via Oculus Support on his specific issue. As some have mentioned in this thread, the tool we have provided him will allow us to diagnose whether or not this is software or hardware related. Should it be determined that his Rift screen, through use of this tool, would require a replacement of the HMD, we will of course honor the warranty and provide said replacement at no cost to them. It is fairly obvious that the Rift in its current condition with the screens that far off in terms of coloring is not acceptable. If we can't get this corrected remotely, we'll get it replaced.

I'll grant that their communication should've been more on point, but people really want to fly off the handle against Oculus for anything and everything at this point.

Anyway, stop bringing reddit drama over to Neogaf.

Qassim

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/com...ere_red_haze_from_oculus_supportuh_oh/d2m45ut

I'll grant that their communication should've been more on point, but people really want to fly off the handle against Oculus for anything and everything at this point.

Anyway, stop bringing reddit drama over to Neogaf.

1. This guy shouldn't have to go to reddit to complain in order to get his issues looked at seriously. How many other people are going to get fucked over because Oculus support won't listen or deal with requests reasonably just because they can't get their problems on the front page of r/oculus? It's not acceptable that this person (or anyone) should have to go to such lengths to get reasonable communication.

2. I don't see how this is reddit drama. It's nothing specific to reddit, it's about the two parties: a customer and oculus - just because it was posted on reddit doesn't make it 'reddit drama' and it is just as relevant here, in a thread about the Rift (and other headsets) as anywhere else.

pj

Banned
1. This guy shouldn't have to go to reddit to complain in order to get his issues looked at seriously. How many other people are going to get fucked over because Oculus support won't listen or deal with requests reasonably just because they can't get their problems on the front page of r/oculus? It's not acceptable that this person (or anyone) should have to go to such lengths to get reasonable communication.

2. I don't see how this is reddit drama. It's nothing specific to reddit, it's about the two parties: a customer and oculus - just because it was posted on reddit doesn't make it 'reddit drama' and it is just as relevant here, in a thread about the Rift (and other headsets) as anywhere else.

I don't see anything bad in Oculus' response other than timeliness, which is understandable considering how badly they frigged up the launch. This would have been resolved with or without reddit.

Thrakier

Hey guys,

I have some performance issues with Job Simulator and HTC Vive. i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz, 970 at 980 performance levels. Is that expected? Everything else is running fine.

Hey guys,

I have some performance issues with Job Simulator and HTC Vive. i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz, 970 at 980 performance levels. Is that expected? Everything else is running fine.

That is odd. Job sim is the smoothest running game for me and also the best looking so far in terms of IQ. I have an i5 6600k and R9 390.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this:

I don't have a VR headset but I do have a stereoscopic 3D projector, and I really enjoy playing games in 3D.

I've been using Tridef 3D Ignition for years to force games to render in stereoscopic 3D, but the program's game support has been really lackluster as of late. Lots of graphical glitches that don't look like they're going to get fixed.

VorpX looks like it does a really good job at rendering games in stereo. Would I be able to use it with my 3D projector?

Qassim

I'm getting quite tempted to cancel my Rift pre-order, I've tried a few Rift games on my Vive and I'm honestly not that compelled by them (or in general the non-room scale experiences, not to say there couldn't be great non-room scale games, I'm sure there absolutely will be). I still want a Rift eventually, but that'll be when the Touch comes out.

My dilemma is, do I cancel my order and then go through all this trouble again when ordering the inevitable Rift + Touch bundle (although I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near as bad) or just keep my Rift order and my place in line for Touch and just accept I may not use it that much until a undetermined date in the future when Touch launches?

I'm leaning quite heavily towards cancelling, mostly because that £500 will make another upcoming purchase a lot less painful.

Edit: Cancellation request submitted.

I'm leaning quite heavily towards cancelling, mostly because that £500 will make another upcoming purchase a lot less painful.

Edit: Cancellation request submitted.

I did the same as you. When basically all Rift experiences are available on the Vive anyway and nobody knows how Rift + touch is going to play out in what will probably be six-eight months down the line, I would rather put that money towards something that I know will benefit me in the near future, like upgrading my gfx card or some high quality refreshing crack cocaine.

Animator

They are asking him to run a software test to see where the problem is, they are not asking him to open up the rift and solder some wires. The only thing embarrassing here is your post.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Recently read this article about display discrepancies with Elite between the Rift and Vive:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/htc-vives-resolution-issue-in-elite-dangerous-is-damning

At first I was glad to hear that Frontier Developments was looking into the problem in search for a solution, but as I've read additional responses I've been getting a bad impression. Take for example the following:

When we say 'feedback' in situations like this, where we've acknowledged that there is an issue, then take it to mean 'additional information we can use on our work to improve things'. This seems to be a combination of aliasing and the way ED is displayed on the Vive's larger FOV when compared to the Rift, so it isn't quite as simple as changing a value here and there.

And another one:

The images the client provides the Vive are the same as the ones provided to the Rift. There isn't a Vive 'version' of the Elite: Dangerous client - this issue comes from how these images are displayed by the headset. As mentioned, we hope to introduce measures to help mitigate the problem from our side.

In addition to reading the last comments by Frontier Developments, what really sells me on the HTC Vive HMD having some design complexities or shortcomings is when I look around in space environments. I've noticed that there's a lack of depth with distant objects in cases of focus to infinity, particularly with skyboxes —there's a discussion about this here. In the case of Elite: Dangerous, this means that the beautiful space backdrops are sincerely artificial looking.

At first I was convinced that this was a general technical issue with first generation virtual reality. Then, I did some research, particularly by reading the impressions of consumers who own both the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift CV1. As I've read in every single case, the Oculus Rift CV1 comes ahead both in image quality and focus to infinity, resulting in a much better experience in Elite: Dangerous.

Anyone else with both headsets that can share their experience on it? Elite is the main thing that's holding my interest for VR.

Recently read this article about display discrepancies with Elite between the Rift and Vive:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/htc-vives-resolution-issue-in-elite-dangerous-is-damning

Anyone else with both headsets that can share their experience on it? Elite is the main thing that's holding my interest for VR.

It really blows that it's taking so long to figure out the issue. Elite was one of the games I was really looking forward to for VR. I'm planning on buying a HOTAS pretty much just for it.

I think the whole touch program is going to be scratched and reworked from the ground up. The word is that the controllers have a hard time keeping up with fast movements. It seems like the reason the touch was not released was because they have not cracked some of the tracking issues.

Above from me

That's interesting, I hadn't read anything about that. Any links?

That would be odd. They were demoing Touch at PAX East but I haven't heard any impressions from it.

This sounds like complete BS

Sorry was away this weekend and didn't look through the forums much to see these to reply.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/com...ey_notch_have_you_tried_anything_from/d0hdhpt

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Above from me

Sorry was away this weekend and didn't look through the forums much to see these to reply.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/com...ey_notch_have_you_tried_anything_from/d0hdhpt

Palmer's response to that BS:

"A bunch of your assumptions are incorrect, and some of your claims are outright false. Surprised so many people are ignoring all the hands-on experiences with Touch in favor of a guy spewing some jargon. This is FUD, not meaningful analysis. If the best Touch could do was slowly walking around for point and click adventures while constantly falling back on IMU under any speed, developers, users, and press would have noticed a long time ago. Touch works with a single sensor, the additional sensor is to reduce occlusion and enable all kinds of interactions that just can't work with a single line of sight, no matter what system. I am not playing 20 questions with someone who has an agenda. Too many times, I give perfectly straight answers, and it leads to people accidentally or maliciously misrepresenting what I say to support whatever their personal opinion is. Most of your questions are going to be answered or rendered irrelevant in the near future, I am not going to give you fuel for your crusade."

Jams775

It's true. Right now Elite on VR is a bummer experience. It kind of looks weird and for me was unplayable because squinting to see any text was giving me a headache and nausea. I'm holding off on playing it until they fix it. But luckily there are far enough games to play in the mean time.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It's true. Right now Elite on VR is a bummer experience. It kind of looks weird and for me was unplayable because squinting to see any text was giving me a headache and nausea. I'm holding off on playing it until they fix it. But luckily there are far enough games to play in the mean time.

Are you using the Vive or Rift? Or do you mean on both it's not great?

The truth of the matter is that touch still isn't out and doesn't have a release date other than "fall". If the system is operating correctly there is no reason to split the market by delaying touch.

jaypah

So the Vive doesn't have as good a sense of 3D at distance? Bummer, my Vive just arrived and I haven't even opened it yet 😂

Tain

I'm wondering if there are any good performance measurements out there between the same software using SteamVR and the Oculus API. I haven't tested too deeply, but it seems like my DK2 performs notably worse in UE4 when running through SteamVR.

I would assume that the Vive would use SteamVR as smoothly as the Oculus SDK would use the Oculus API.

It'd be cool to get one VR UE4 scene and test both headsets and APIs.

Yeah I know I linked the article. Palmer says it isn't true gets blasted then leaves. His normal M.O.

There is absolutely no evidence that it can't track fast moving controllers. It's pure speculation and hasn't been a reported as an issue at any of the demos or by anyone with a dev kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEhOivWqGmA&feature=youtu.be

No tracking problems with controllers moving quickly using the cameras in an opposing position 18ft apart.

RealMeat

Banned
Anyone else try the PresenZ demo on steam? It's kind of a rough demo, but the tech is really impressive. They're somehow able to play pre-rendered video with head tracking, which seems like it should be impossible. It's not just 360 video, you're able to move your head freely in a 1 foot cube. It's all non-interactive of course, but it's the clearest content I've seen on the rift. I really wonder how they're doing it.

Jams775

Are you using the Vive or Rift? Or do you mean on both it's not great?

The consensus seems to be that Elite's image quality on the Vive is not up to par. It is supposedly fine on the Rift but I don't have a Rift to test it.

For my personal experience on the Vive, like what you posted said; the 3D effect is kind of artificial looking and fake and the text is nigh unreadable.

wonderpug

Neo Member
The truth of the matter is that touch still isn't out and doesn't have a release date other than "fall". If the system is operating correctly there is no reason to split the market by delaying touch.

No reasons aside from the reasons Oculus has repeatedly articulated, that is.

Don't get me wrong, I'd very much prefer to have the Touch controllers already released, but companies don't always do things the way I want them to, even if I make it clear on the internet that I really really want it.

Onemic

The consensus seems to be that Elite's image quality on the Vive is not up to par. It is supposedly fine on the Rift but I don't have a Rift to test it.

For my personal experience on the Vive, like what you posted said; the 3D effect is kind of artificial looking and fake and the text is nigh unreadable.

My expectations for VR keep getting lower and lower between this and the Vive blurriness issue :/

Peterthumpa

Elite on the Rift looks... kind of bad, I guess. There's a LOT of shimmering on distant objects, changing resolution or upscaling the game basically changes nothing (I couldn't see benefits comparing 720p to 4K), to the point where I believe the game is running with a fixed preset graphical fidelity. I can't even imagine how it looks on the Vive given that the Rift is supposed to be so much better. And it's definitely not something with my Rift, Lucky's Tale looks amazing, as other games and even Eve to a less extent. I guess that anything that relies on too much attention on distant objects will be a lackluster experience with the current gen HMDs.

My expectations for VR keep getting lower and lower between this and the Vive blurriness issue :/
Don't feel bad about it though, I was really afraid about what I would think before setting it up and actually enjoying the damn thing. It's a game changing technology, that's for sure.

jack....

Got my Vive yesterday.

After having owned both headsets I really don't think I could go back to using an Xbox One controller. Even with a room that just barely meets the size requirements, Room Scale with the motion controllers is incredible.

Onemic

Elite on the Rift looks... kind of bad, I guess. There's a LOT of shimmering on distant objects, changing resolution or upscaling the game basically changes nothing (I couldn't see benefits comparing 720p to 4K), to the point where I believe the game is running with a fixed preset graphical fidelity. I can't even imagine how it looks on the Vive given that the Rift is supposed to be so much better. And it's definitely not something with my Rift, Lucky's Tale looks amazing, as other games and even Eve to a less extent. I guess that anything that relies on too much attention on distant objects will be a lackluster experience with the current gen HMDs.

Don't feel bad about it though, I was really afraid about what I would think before setting it up and actually enjoying the damn thing. It's a game changing technology, that's for sure.

We really are the beta testers for this hardware huh.

wonderpug

Neo Member
Elite on the Rift looks... kind of bad, I guess. There's a LOT of shimmering on distant objects, changing resolution or upscaling the game basically changes nothing (I couldn't see benefits comparing 720p to 4K), to the point where I believe the game is running with a fixed preset graphical fidelity. I can't even imagine how it looks on the Vive given that the Rift is supposed to be so much better.

Huh, I've only put a couple hours into Elite on my Rift but I thought it looked gorgeous.

I immediately set my game to have these Nvidia settings someone on reddit with a 980 Ti recommended, so maybe they really do make a big difference?

First in Elite Dangerous set the primary display at the lowest resolution possible.
Go to nvidia control panel in manage 3D settings.
Click on program settings and add Elite dangerous executable. * Set your Anisotropic Filtering to 16X.
Anti-Aliasing mode - Override any application settings.
Anti-Aliasing settings 8X
Anti-Aliasing Transparency : Multi-sample
MFAA On
Power Management mode : Prefer Maximum Performance.
Texture Filtering : On
Triple Buffering : On
In game settings he "set it to VR high and everything else to ultra or high."

Peterthumpa

Huh, I've only put a couple hours into Elite on my Rift but I thought it looked gorgeous.

I immediately set my game to have these Nvidia settings someone on reddit with a 980 Ti recommended, so maybe they really do make a big difference?

Hm, going to try this tonight and report back.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So the Vive doesn't have as good a sense of 3D at distance? Bummer, my Vive just arrived and I haven't even opened it yet 😂

For now I'd put this in the 'something is up with elite' box until we hear more. You'd think it'd be relatively straightforward for a deb to put together some software to test this, that could be used on both headsets

UnrealEck

I heard a guy on youtube say that Vive's sense of scale wasn't as good as Rift but that was in Elite. I then later read someone else on reddit say it's something to do with Elite and that other games have fine scale that's similar to Rift or what you would expect.

Top Bottom