• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Is Dreadhalls coming to Vive eventually? If so I will wait, but if they said never, I'lll just buy it and use Revive.

elyetis

Finaly got my Vive. I must say that I was really pleasantly surprised by the screen, the improvement compared to the dk2 is really striking.
Without surprise the biggest game changer for me is the motion controller, not that roomscale isn't nice too, but motion control just bring sooo much to the table ( but to be fair I already love motion control outside of VR ).
Biggest shortcoming were the lens effect on white text/black space ( now I wonder how it will affect Elite dangerous, but I wait for their resolution problem to be patch ), and how hard it was to find and keep the sweetspot for a clear picture.

Best game I tried is definitely Audioshield, really really fun. But it's hard not to find it kind of barebone after Audiosurf 2. It's also the only game where I got bugs, crash and bugs.
Holopoint will also be played again, but that game kill my stamina very quickly, guess it will help my keep loosing weight. ^ ^

Budget Cuts demo show great potential, but to be honest I'm not really fond of movement by teleportation ( even if in this game it really part of the game design, which is a great choice ).
As someone who doesn't really have a problem fps games with a mouse/keyboard in VR, I really hope I'll be able to move with the trackpad as an alternate moving scheme in other games. I understand why teleportation is needed given how many people get sick by traditional movement in VR; but it would be pretty disapointing if devs didn't support it when possible, because for those who can, it's really feel far less limiting than teleportation.

The lab and job simulator were pretty forgettable, but could be nice to introduce non-gamer to the Vive.

Tonight Minecrift, and maybe try pirate trainer & Vanishing Realms.

And try to find a way to have steamVR to work without uninstalling Razer Synapse.

Without surprise the biggest game changer for me is the motion controller, not that roomscale isn't nice too, but motion control just bring sooo much to the table ( but to be fair I already love motion control outside of VR ).

I don't think it makes much sense to talk about room scale without motion controllers. They are integral to the concept.

DjRalford

Just done a steam VR test on my nano, i'm impressed with the results I must say from such a small card.

It's oc'd to 1050 Core with +35 power and hit 77c with an average clock of 1045mhz in the test.

From what I can find online it is exceptionally close to Fury X levels

OOlfOEX.png

N30RYU

A friend just bought a Samsung S7 Edge and a Gear VR and I wanna know how the S7 Edge screen compares with the PSVR screen.

Make what you will out of that, but Smashing the battle is out on Steam now and the reason why no VR support on Steam according to the dev:

But some trouble, original 'Smashing The Battle VR' version no include Steam version.
(It's legal issues.)

Tain

Once I got my Rift yesterday I decided to try out my UE4 game in both headsets and was kinda bummed to find that it ran notably worse on the Vive. I didn't have time to dig in deeply, but I'd be surprised if it was entirely due to ATW.

Anyone doing UE4 development on both and have any general pointers?

Once I got my Rift yesterday I decided to try out my UE4 game in both headsets and was kinda bummed to find that it ran notably worse on the Vive. I didn't have time to dig in deeply, but I'd be surprised if it was entirely due to ATW.

Anyone doing UE4 development on both and have any general pointers?
Maybe not so surprising?

"The user experiences much smoother virtual reality with ATW. Early measurements of Rift launch titles running without ATW showed apps missing ~5% of their frames. ATW is able to fill in for the majority of these misses, resulting in judder reduction of 20-100x. This functionality comes at no performance cost to the application and requires no code changes."

Do you have any idea how many frames you're actually dropping?

So it seems that Oculus will be beaten to the market with motion controllers also on mobiles, by Google VR.

Not really daydream doesn't have hand tracking from what they have revealed.

Not sure of the total capability of it. Doesn't really matter though because it's not coming out until Fall. It's entirely possible Touch comes out before this. From what I understand, the phones that are meant to run this aren't even on the market or announced yet.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Not sure of the total capability of it. Doesn't really matter though because it's not coming out until Fall. It's entirely possible Touch comes out before this. From what I understand, the phones that are meant to run this aren't even on the market or announced yet.

Will Touch even work with Gear VR? I thought Samsung is working on some controllers for that.

kinggroin

Banned
I feel like we need to make separate threads for each new VR software/game being released. Having one platform mega thread means far less exposure to what's happening with these new headsets and the landscape in general. Agreed?

Will Touch even work with Gear VR? I thought Samsung is working on some controllers for that.

Oh you're just talking about the mobile market? No idea what their plans are for controllers there.

I feel like we need to make separate threads for each new VR software/game being released. Having one platform mega thread means far less exposure to what's happening with these new headsets and the landscape in general. Agreed?

I don't know. A lot of the games don't really warrant their own thread (though some definitely do). Really the VR Game mega thread should be that thread, but people aren't really using it as much as I thought they would for some reason. I think the best midway point is to emulate the monthly indie game thread since that's basically what most of these games are. I've thought about doing it myself but I hesitate to be responsible for putting in the time to create and maintain it every month.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh you're just talking about the mobile market? No idea what their plans are for controllers there.

Yeah, this is what I was talking about, that also on the mobile market they won't be the first with motion controllers it seems. They could still have the best ones though, although those Samsung ones don't look as good as Touch.

Edit:

Unfortunately there isn't yet too much of an audience for this on GAF. I don't think there are too many VR game announcement that have gone beyond first page.

kinggroin

Banned

I don't know. A lot of the games don't really warrant their own thread (though some definitely do). Really the VR Game mega thread should be that thread, but people aren't really using it as much as I thought they would for some reason. I think the best midway point is to emulate the monthly indie game thread since that's basically what most of these games are. I've thought about doing it myself but I hesitate to be responsible for putting in the time to create and maintain it every month.

I would have done a thread per non-green light VR game. Of course, well I'm juniored, so.

Just saying cause threads are made for some simple traditional shit, so why not VR stuff on that same level.

I would have done a thread per non-green light VR game. Of course, well I'm juniored, so.

Just saying cause threads are made for some simple traditional shit, so why not VR stuff on that same level.

I just think most of them would go nowhere as threads and almost no one would see most of them. Especially since so many are small experiences. That's exactly why the monthly indie thread works. Of course bigger titles or really just anything anyone deems worthy could get it's own thread in addition too.

DavidDesu

A friend just bought a Samsung S7 Edge and a Gear VR and I wanna know how the S7 Edge screen compares with the PSVR screen.

The PSVR is a full RGB OLED screen so each pixel has the three colour sub pixels, Gear VR does not, so the quality of the screen partly helps to make up for the shortfall in raw resolution. It does update at 90fps or 120fps guaranteed, I think Gear VR stuff is 60fps but might be wrong. The optics in PSVR should definitely be an improvement and from what we've heard the screen is more dense in the middle, somehow, or the optics make it so, whereas Gear VR doesn't benefit from such good optics. Field of view probably a bit higher than Gear VR purely from looking at the lenses, they're much bigger on PSVR than in Gear VR where it's more like binoculars in front of your eyes, PSVR's lenses definitely are more expansive than that. From most people's hands on the screen seems to hold up surprisingly well. I think it must look nicer than a Gear VR, well I would hope it does...

Paganmoon

My Vive order's waiting at my local retailer. Damn it, was hoping I could've timed it with a new graphics card.

Hopefully 7970 in crossfire will let me play some games at least.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The PSVR is a full RGB OLED screen so each pixel has the three colour sub pixels, Gear VR does not, so the quality of the screen partly helps to make up for the shortfall in raw resolution. It does update at 90fps or 120fps guaranteed, I think Gear VR stuff is 60fps but might be wrong. The optics in PSVR should definitely be an improvement and from what we've heard the screen is more dense in the middle, somehow, or the optics make it so, whereas Gear VR doesn't benefit from such good optics. Field of view probably a bit higher than Gear VR purely from looking at the lenses, they're much bigger on PSVR than in Gear VR where it's more like binoculars in front of your eyes, PSVR's lenses definitely are more expansive than that. From most people's hands on the screen seems to hold up surprisingly well. I think it must look nicer than a Gear VR, well I would hope it does...

This reminded me that PSVR has an even lower resolution than Rift/Vive. And people complained about their resolution already. I'm curios what the reactions will be when people will start getting their PSVRs.

mitchman

Gold Member
This reminded me that PSVR has an even lower resolution than Rift/Vive. And people complained about their resolution already. I'm curios what the reactions will be when people will start getting their PSVRs.

I don't find the resolution of my CV1 and GearVR the biggest problem, it's more the screen door effect and "muddiness". If PSVR solves some of the known issues, it could well compete and exceed the picture quality of these sets.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't find the resolution of my CV1 and GearVR the biggest problem, it's more the screen door effect and "muddiness". If PSVR solves some of the known issues, it could well compete and exceed the picture quality of these sets.

It's roughly the same FOV with lower resolution. Wouldn't that make the SDE even more obvious because of the lower pixel density (compensated somehow by the subpixels)? And I don't really get the "muddiness", you talk about the one around the margin (which is due to the lenses) or the one for the objects rendered far (which is due to resolution, isn't it)?

Durante

It's a hard balance to strike, I actually posted about this issue before the HMDs were even released already.

For example, I'd like to see what people think of portal stories VR without scourging the Vive thread after not following it closely for a week or so.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The Tomshardware guide to the three high-end HMD's is excellent, here is their take on their displays and optics:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/vive-rift-playstation-vr-comparison,review-33556-3.html

The issue I have with these kind of comparison/reports is that before the launch of Vive and Rift, almost nobody reported for example the lenses glare. Or the differences in the FOV were all over the place. Or the difference in brightness. Or nobody complained about the resolution.

That's why I said that I'm curious about the people's reaction.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Yup, that's fine. It was mentioned in the sticky. I'd say post links to the new threads in the main threads so subscribers have a better chance to see them.

Paganmoon

It's a hard balance to strike, I actually posted about this issue before the HMDs were even released already.

For example, I'd like to see what people think of portal stories VR without scourging the Vive thread after not following it closely for a week or so.

Portal Stories is a new game, new topic, mini OT for it maybe? I don't see why not. though with the amount of smaller games being released it might be hard to decide for when to create topic or not?
------

Anyone else notice a bit of glare from the HTC Vive, it doesn't always do it, but every now and then I get this glare on the bottom half of the lens.

And damn it, Nvidia needs to hurry up with their cards already. Crossfire 7970 doesn't cut it, get stuttering on The Lab loading screens and it's really annoying.

dgco86

This is kind of a weird question but please bear with me.

My 980Ti is currently hooked up as follows:

HDMI: 4K TV
DVI: Monitor
DP 1: Non-4K Audio Video Receiver
DP 2: HTC Vive breakout box

If/when my Rift arrives, I was thinking of hooking it up to DP 3 with a DP-HDMI adaptor. Would that work? My Vive's breakout box is constantly plugged in. I heard my graphics card was limited to 4 displays at once but I'm not sure how it would work with HMDs.

Wallach

This is kind of a weird question but please bear with me.

My 980Ti is currently hooked up as follows:

HDMI: 4K TV
DVI: Monitor
DP 1: Non-4K Audio Video Receiver
DP 2: HTC Vive breakout box

If/when my Rift arrives, I was thinking of hooking it up to DP 3 with a DP-HDMI adaptor. Would that work? My Vive's breakout box is constantly plugged in. I heard my graphics card was limited to 4 displays at once but I'm not sure how it would work with HMDs.

You can just unplug the Vive from the breakout box and plug the Rift into it, if it is in a reasonably convenient location.

You may have to unplug the HDMI from the back of the break out box and plug it back in when switching headsets but other than that it works great. I'm a breakout box fan.

Paganmoon

Something that's been bothering me for a while now, watching Youtube reviews of the headsets from Tested and others, and which got brought back to my attention yesterday when I had a friend over to test the Vive:

The second screen experience needs to be modified. As it is now, looking at the screen while someone else is playing can itself get quite nauseating. A persons headmovement is too erratic (when someone else is watching the same screen). There needs to be a sort of filter, or something to stabilize the second screen. Maybe show a smaller FoV of what the HMD user sees and use the unseen borders as a way to stabilize movement for second screen?

won't be a good first impression if people are getting nauseous by just watching someone else play.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Something that's been bothering me for a while now, watching Youtube reviews of the headsets from Tested and others, and which got brought back to my attention yesterday when I had a friend over to test the Vive:

The second screen experience needs to be modified. As it is now, looking at the screen while someone else is playing can itself get quite nauseating. A persons headmovement is too erratic (when someone else is watching the same screen). There needs to be a sort of filter, or something to stabilize the second screen. Maybe show a smaller FoV of what the HMD user sees and use the unseen borders as a way to stabilize movement for second screen?

won't be a good first impression if people are getting nauseous by just watching someone else play.

More and more games are starting to support that - letting either the external viewer or the VR player control secondary cameras to provide alternative views. That does have the downside of increased performance requirements vs a simple mirroring though.

Wallach

Yeah, this is one of those things that developers had to learn to start considering out of experience.

Job Simulator has a setting that controls that output to smooth the micro-movements of the head to stabilize the 2D image for observers. It's part of their observer mode tools that came out of that lesson, and I'm sure you'll see much more of it quickly get adopted as we go forward.

JambiBum

There is a general VR games thread but the problem is that no one really uses it and I wish people would. I tried to bump it to get it going again but it didn't gain traction.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Portal Stories is a new game, new topic, mini OT for it maybe? I don't see why not. though with the amount of smaller games being released it might be hard to decide for when to create topic or not?
------

Anyone else notice a bit of glare from the HTC Vive, it doesn't always do it, but every now and then I get this glare on the bottom half of the lens.

And damn it, Nvidia needs to hurry up with their cards already. Crossfire 7970 doesn't cut it, get stuttering on The Lab loading screens and it's really annoying.

Like many games, it is quite short. Like 20mins. And not a lot of replayability. I just don't think many VR games need dedicated threads. A VR games thread in general might be useful - as new games come out you'll get a few pages where discussion focuses on those and that's probably enough?

Tbh the hardware threads tend to cover the same ground though. Combo of tech support and software discussion

The second screen experience needs to be modified. As it is now, looking at the screen while someone else is playing can itself get quite nauseating.

I really agree with this. I tried watching a Giantbomb VR video the other day, and was foolish enough to put it in fullscreen. After 30 minutes, I had to go lay down for a while.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

That's why the spectator camera that Job Simulator and other games have implemented is such a wonderful idea. And besides a non-sickness inducing video it also add an interesting bonus by showing the player within the environment in some way (usually hands and headset).

Kysen

A question that has been bugging me lately, is there a reason why Sony went with visible LEDs instead of IR like everyone else? Heck even Kinect uses IR.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A question that has been bugging me lately, is there a reason why Sony went with visible LEDs instead of IR like everyone else? Heck even Kinect uses IR.

1) They are using the PSeye which probably isn't that sensitive to IR light as it needs to also work as a standard camera (Rift uses a dedicated camera with an IR filter to block visible light)

2) possibly to align the look and feel with the move controllers and DS4 which both have glowy LEDs.

Kysen

1) They are using the PSeye which probably isn't that sensitive to IR light as it needs to also work as a standard camera (Rift uses a dedicated camera with an IR filter to block visible light)

2) possibly to align the look and feel with the move controllers and DS4 which both have glowy LEDs.

Point 2 makes the most sense, its because of move. Both the new ps eye and DS4 could have used IR from the get go. However that would have made move controllers a non starter.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Been using my Rift all weekend after it came in Friday night. Definitely need to build my VR legs, I can only go for like an hour or so before needing a break.

Also, if anyone uses f.lux you'll want to set that to run in Safe Mode to avoid the occasional hitching.

Top Bottom