• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

arit

Does the oculus touch connect to the rift itself (like the vive controllers do with the vive) or is there a separate receiver so it might even work in conjunction with the vive via steamvr?

Wallach

Does the oculus touch connect to the rift itself (like the vive controllers do with the vive) or is there a separate receiver so it might even work in conjunction with the vive via steamvr?

Touch pairs with the Rift headset, similar to the Vive wands.

Tested posted a new video today which shows off the upcoming content for Raw Data, something I'm really interested in. Looks pretty cool so far.

I will say that the version of teleportation they show off here is pretty much exactly what I want out of teleportation systems, at least ones in games that are action-based. Not using a hard screen transition (either instant cut or a black fade cut) but just obfuscation VFX and non-instant (but still near instant) traversal. Basically more of a ninja dash than an actual teleport, which makes it feel more like gameplay is one continuous stream rather than broken up with distinct moments for each teleport.

Touch pairs with the Rift headset, similar to the Vive wands.

Tested posted a new video today which shows off the upcoming content for Raw Data, something I'm really interested in. Looks pretty cool so far.

I will say that the version of teleportation they show off here is pretty much exactly what I want out of teleportation systems, at least ones in games that are action-based. Not using a hard screen transition (either instant cut or a black fade cut) but just obfuscation VFX and non-instant (but still near instant) traversal. Basically more of a ninja dash than an actual teleport, which makes it feel more like gameplay is one continuous stream rather than broken up with distinct moments for each teleport.
JULY 14TH
JULY 14TH
JULY 14TH

open beta (free?) for regular people to play Raw Data
the most important piece of info on that video and no one mentions it
(yeah I kinda want to play this game how could you tell)

JULY 14TH
JULY 14TH
JULY 14TH

Wallach

JULY 14TH
JULY 14TH
JULY 14TH

open beta (free?) for regular people to play Raw Data
the most important piece of info on that video and no one mentions it
(yeah I kinda want to play this game how could you tell)

JULY 14TH
JULY 14TH
JULY 14TH

Yeah, this game is up near the top of my list right now, along with Obduction. Should have my Vive by the time early access is up for Raw Data.

Krejlooc

Banned
So now that Razer is showing off the OSVR HDK 2 at E3, do we have any solid impressions of the HMD? I'm really curious as to whether this is a viable alternative to the Vive and Oculus.

I'm not really clear on which games it is compatible with. Will it work out of the box with Steam VR games?

There is an OSVR driver that lets it have SteamVR compatibility, but it breaks every time SteamVR updates and usually lags a few days to a few weeks behind. I hope the closer nature of OSVR HDK2 means better SteamVR support.

Seeing as it doesn't have motion controllers, it won't run most games made for the Vive. Seated only, really.

SteamVR abstracts motion controllers separately from the headset. You can basically piece together a SteamVR experience. OSVR, when it's drivers are up to date, can work as a SteamVR headset. There are other options that can be used as a SteamVR motion controller beyond the Vive controllers. Touch works, there is preliminary support to make LeapMotion work, the sixense hardwares work, and there is a project to get Playstation Move controllers working as well.

There really isn't anything stopping all sorts of 3rd party motion controllers on PC from popping up, just like how there is a range and variety of keyboards and mice. I'm actually hoping just that happens so there can be a cheap motion controller solution for PC. I'm actually extremely interested in the Move project.

Knock on wood, if my Sixense STEMs get here this year, I will pick up an OSVR HDK2 and use it as a jury rigged Player 2 vive dev kit.

DirtyLarry

Just got back from vacation yesterday, which means I just spent the entire morning playing with Oculus. So a few questions I have...

1. Is it damn near impossible to get both the vertical and horizontal lines as crisp, clear lines in the lens and head unti adjustment? My horizontal are fine, my vertical, it seems like I can only get either the left or the right side as crisp, clear, lines. Does this mean my vision is not as good as I thought it was?
  2. I believe this is the case, but just want to triple check. In order to play a VR game on Steam, it is mandatory to have Steam VR running? It appears this is the case, but Steam VR was acting a bit wonky on me, so just checking.
  3. Steam VR only works when the Oculus app is running?
  4. Assuming I am correct with my assumption with the previous two questions, does this mean one takes a performance hit on games in Steam since it is using two "OS's" to run the game? Or not really?

So this is my first dive into VR. Ironically the biggest issue I had with the setup was getting the damn XBox Wireless Controller to stay connected. Once I got rid of the USB extender it worked no issues. Need to revisit that down the road.

I checked out Lucky's Tale, House of the Dying Sun, some 99c "experience on Steam called The Visitor, some random Oculus videos on the Within app, and I also wound up purchasing Eve Gunjack. House of and Eve were by far my favorite experiences. Still have to try Eve Valkyrie, figured I would do that when I had more time. Finally I just purchased Edge of Nowhere and it is downloading now.

My initial impression is it is pretty damn cool, but for some reason believe I expected much more. Do not get me wrong, I felt immersed. I did (do). But I thought it would be much more overwhelming. I felt as if I was in the world, but never fully engulfed by it. Perhaps I just need to let my senses go completely and just let it be what it is and stop thinking about it. There is no doubt since it was my first time I was very anxious about it all and perhaps I just expected way too much. DO NOT GET ME WRONG, it is really pretty damn cool. I just expected to be truly blown away. And right now I am just thinking it is really damn cool.

My initial impression is it is pretty damn cool, but for some reason believe I expected much more. Do not get me wrong, I felt immersed. I did (do). But I thought it would be much more overwhelming. I felt as if I was in the world, but never fully engulfed by it.

I actually think in the end it depends on the game. I mean there are also a few games out there that let you immerse totally into that world like Alien Isolation or the Bioshock games with a tense atmosphere.

I think for that to happen we need bigger budget indiegames or AAA VR games.

vermadas

I believe this is the case, but just want to triple check. In order to play a VR game on Steam, it is mandatory to have Steam VR running? It appears this is the case, but Steam VR was acting a bit wonky on me, so just checking.
It depends if the game was compiled with the Oculus SDK or not. Sometimes they label it as "Other VR mode" in a dialog that pops up on launch. Those games do not need Steam VR running. If they are only compiled with Open VR, Steam VR will need to be running.
Steam VR only works when the Oculus app is running?
Oculus Home will need to be running in the background any time you play a game or app on your Rift.

DirtyLarry

I actually think in the end it depends on the game. I mean there are also a few games out there that let you immerse totally into that world like Alien Isolation or the Bioshock games with a tense atmosphere.

I think for that to happen we need bigger budget indiegames or AAA VR games.
I have had time to let my initial impression marinate, and I really think it is just because this is "the beginning" of things (I put it in quotes as it of course has been around for a few years now, but this is the start for the consumer, aka me.) So what you say is true and I think I was just overly critical of things.

An interesting note is even hours after checking it out I felt the effects IRL. So yeah, there is something here for sure.

I think power is still a big hurdle. The day we are seeing Crytek Engine or Frostbite Engine type visuals* (*used only as examples, there are a whole lot of game engines out there I adore) but with VR technology, it is over. Right now the visuals are either pretty stylistic and/or somewhat simplistic. So once we get to a point we are seeing the level of visuals we see currently in games but VR can be implemented, yeah, I really think that will help leaps and bounds with the immersion I cited as lacking as well.

With that said I do agree, immersion is much more than just visuals. It is an atmosphere, and I am sure there will be plenty of games that nail it with this current iteration of Oculus.

It depends if the game was compiled with the Oculus SDK or not. Sometimes they label it as "Other VR mode" in a dialog that pops up on launch. Those games do not need Steam VR running. If they are only compiled with Open VR, Steam VR will need to be running.

Oculus Home will need to be running in the background any time you play a game or app on your Rift.
Thank you for the clarification on both points. Tremendously helpful and now I get it. Again, thank you.

Onemic

I have had time to let my initial impression marinate, and I really think it is just because this is "the beginning" of things (I put it in quotes as it of course has been around for a few years now, but this is the start for the consumer, aka me.) So what you say is true and I think I was just overly critical of things.

An interesting note is even hours after checking it out I felt the effects IRL. So yeah, there is something here for sure.

I think power is still a big hurdle. The day we are seeing Crytek Engine or Frostbite Engine type visuals* (*used only as examples, there are a whole lot of game engines out there I adore) but with VR technology, it is over. Right now the visuals are either pretty stylistic and/or somewhat simplistic. So once we get to a point we are seeing the level of visuals we see currently in games but VR can be implemented, yeah, I really think that will help leaps and bounds with the immersion I cited as lacking as well.

With that said I do agree, immersion is much more than just visuals. It is an atmosphere, and I am sure there will be plenty of games that nail it with this current iteration of Oculus.

Thank you for the clarification on both points. Tremendously helpful and now I get it. Again, thank you.

Also remember that this is only the first gen. Once things like eye tracking, wireless, increased FOV, resolution, and 120hz refresh rates come in, it'll be even more immersive.

Wollan

Palmer Luckey ‏@PalmerLuckey 6m6 minutes ago
Really happy with @Playstation VR at @E3. Impressive hardware and content lineup, huge respect for their dedication to the VR ecosystem!

DirtyLarry

So hypothetically speaking, if one was playing, lets say, Edge of Nowhere, and started feeling like they were about to vomit after about a solid 20 minutes of playing, would that just be because it is a pretty intense game and they will eventually get used to it? Or is it possible they cannot handle more intense VR experiences?
Hypothetically speaking meaning that is just what happened to me and I had to stop, and I still feel super ill.
Woah.

EDIT - It just has to be the intensity of Edge of Nowhere, as I played the Eve Gunner game and I was completely fine (granted, it is really basic VR). But I believe I just have to get over it. I guess I am just wondering if there is such a scenario one does not get over it??

Wallach

So hypothetically speaking, if one was playing, lets say, Edge of Nowhere, and started feeling like they were about to vomit after about a solid 20 minutes of playing, would that just be because it is a pretty intense game and they will eventually get used to it? Or is it possible they cannot handle more intense VR experiences?
Hypothetically speaking meaning that is just what happened to me and I had to stop, and I still feel super ill.
Woah.

EDIT - It just has to be the intensity of Edge of Nowhere, as I played the Eve Gunner game and I was completely fine (granted, it is really basic VR). But I believe I just have to get over it. I guess I am just wondering if there is such a scenario one does not get over it??

Edge of Nowhere is somewhere in the middle as far as intensity goes, I feel. It's the camera movement that is making you nauseous (not you looking around with your head, but the camera moving along the "rail" as you move forward or backward so it can follow your character). You'll probably feel kind of weird playing Lucky's Tale, though it might be a little easier for you.

This kind of sensitivity does seem to get better with more exposure to VR in my experience. Not such that forcing yourself to try and be in those kinds of games for longer will make that go faster; it won't, so don't try to push through that kind of feeling. As soon as you start to feel uneasy, just stop and at least exit that game and play something you know doesn't bother you or take a break from playing altogether.

DirtyLarry

Edge of Nowhere is somewhere in the middle as far as intensity goes, I feel. It's the camera movement that is making you nauseous (not you looking around with your head, but the camera moving along the "rail" as you move forward or backward so it can follow your character). You'll probably feel kind of weird playing Lucky's Tale, though it might be a little easier for you.

This kind of sensitivity does seem to get better with more exposure to VR in my experience. Not such that forcing yourself to try and be in those kinds of games for longer will make that go faster; it won't, so don't try to push through that kind of feeling. As soon as you start to feel uneasy, just stop and at least exit that game and play something you know doesn't bother you or take a break from playing altogether.
Cool thanks. Yeah the camera and how it moves, especially how you jump, is pretty damn jarring.
Good news is I checked out Lucky's Tale and did not feel anything at all.
So hopefully it is just my mind getting used to it all, as what I played so far, I really did enjoy.
Looks like I will hold off checking out ADR1FT until I know for sure I can handle it.

On another note, and because I feel like I just at least have to try it, what is the roller coaster experience people recommend? Is it No Limits 2? Seems kinda steep at $40, but if I know I can eventually handle it, feel it might be worth it.

Onemic

Cool thanks. Yeah the camera and how it moves, especially how you jump, is pretty damn jarring.
Good news is I checked out Lucky's Tale and did not feel anything at all.
So hopefully it is just my mind getting used to it all, as what I played so far, I really did enjoy.
Looks like I will hold off checking out ADR1FT until I know for sure I can handle it.

On another note, and because I feel like I just at least have to try it, what is the roller coaster experience people recommend? Is it No Limits 2? Seems kinda steep at $40, but if I know I can eventually handle it, feel it might be worth it.

As you play more and more game sin VR your body gets used to it, so after some time you might not get motion sick from the same games or situations that you did previously.

killroy87

Just getting into VR, and the choice of which headset to get is so overwhelming. Unlike consoles, I only want one of these. Vive seems to have some cooler tech, but Oculus seems to have a better slate of core games. And PSVR has the worst tech, but has some solid looking games as well.

Wallach

Just getting into VR, and the choice of which headset to get is so overwhelming. Unlike consoles, I only want one of these. Vive seems to have some cooler tech, but Oculus seems to have a better slate of core games. And PSVR has the worst tech, but has some solid looking games as well.

If you only plan to get one HMD this generation and you have a PC capable enough, I'd get either one of the PC HMDs. My Vive isn't until next month but despite only owning a Rift at the moment my gut would say go with the Vive. Right now I don't plan on buying into the next piece of Oculus PCVR hardware unless a bunch of stuff changes with how they operate, and I don't expect that to happen. A shame because their hardware seems top notch, and a couple of their current exclusives are very high on my list of VR games (The Climb and Edge of Nowhere). Not worth buying in unless it is a supplementary thing though, in my opinion. Same is how I feel about PSVR; I'll own one the end of the year, but I wouldn't be getting one if I didn't have both the PC HMDs already.

killroy87

If you only plan to get one HMD this generation and you have a PC capable enough, I'd get either one of the PC HMDs. My Vive isn't until next month but despite only owning a Rift at the moment my gut would say go with the Vive. Right now I don't plan on buying into the next piece of Oculus PCVR hardware unless a bunch of stuff changes with how they operate, and I don't expect that to happen. A shame because their hardware seems top notch, and a couple of their current exclusives are very high on my list of VR games (The Climb and Edge of Nowhere). Not worth buying in unless it is a supplementary thing though, in my opinion. Same is how I feel about PSVR; I'll own one the end of the year, but I wouldn't be getting one if I didn't have both the PC HMDs already.
Out of curiosity, what about how Oculus operates don't you like?

Is your PC capable? If so, wait for Touch reviews in a few months. There's going to be more accurate head to head comparisons once both have motion controllers to compare.

If your PC isn't capable, well the choice is clear.

Wallach

It's pretty specific to their plans as it pertains to the PC space. Store exclusives sort of work in this market, but hardware exclusives really don't, and right now it looks like they are sticking with the latter route. Like, there are reasons to do this in other markets, but there isn't really any good ones for doing it in the PC space; moving forward it doesn't just tie you to using their store, but also is trying to strongarm you into their next HMD. If someone winds up buying a different HMD because next round they like that one more than Oculus', what do you do with the games you bought from Oculus? I've got PC games from a couple decades ago I can play on any PC I can install the latest Windows on. Not super interested in getting attached to their hardware if I have to make considerations like that going forward. They're sort of pretending they're already in the future where their HMD isn't tied to a PC and this might not be an egregious overreach.

I am not as hardline about it at some people - I will probably buy whatever remaining exclusives come out that are relevant to this first round of HMDs on the Rift side - but just as a consumer unless something changes about their plans I don't see why I would continue that relationship with them beyond the hardware I already own. Pretty much any game I buy from their store isn't a safe purchase that I can be confident I'll be able to play later on different hardware, which any longtime PC gamer can tell you matters a lot. PC games tend to improve substantially for quite some time as PC technology improves and there's a lot of value in being able to go back to a game with much more capable hardware. It'll be even more true of these first gen VR capable games which are quite constrained by GPU and resolution factors.

Owari

So I've been kind of a Vive fanboy since receiving my Vive, but I got a chance to try out the Oculus Touch controllers at E3 and now I'm thinking I need an Oculus.

So I've been kind of a Vive fanboy since receiving my Vive, but I got a chance to try out the Oculus Touch controllers at E3 and now I'm thinking I need an Oculus.
What did you get to try? One thing I haven't read too much about is the haptic feedback - how does it compare to the Vive controllers?

artsi

I sold my Vive back then, and decided I'll buy back into VR when there's more content available. I don't know if I'm going with another Vive or Oculus yet, but the Touch controllers seem awesome.

Owari

What did you get to try? One thing I haven't read too much about is the haptic feedback - how does it compare to the Vive controllers?
I tried a few games, one was a space game, the other was a hockey game.. I was kind of out of it so I don't exactly remember the names. The haptics were there, though I would say not as strong as the Vive controllers. But just the way you hold the controllers feels so natural and incredible.. I dunno, they're just really well designed controllers. Night and day difference.

I sold my Vive back then, and decided I'll buy back into VR when there's more content available. I don't know if I'm going with another Vive or Oculus yet, but the Touch controllers seem awesome.
They really are exactly as amazing as they seem. So much smaller and just more legit for VR. (Actual thumbsticks VS unprogrammable circle pads)

Durante

If you buy into Oculus' closed ecosystem, then you are basically saying that you only ever want to buy Oculus HW in the future (or never want to run the software you invest in on future hardware).

Given how fast VR technology will continue to evolve, that seems like a terrible choice.

unprogrammable circle pads
What is this supposed to mean? There are few input devices more programmable than those circle pads.

The haptics were there, though I would say not as strong as the Vive controllers.

That's interesting. I'd assumed that they'd maybe be a bit stronger, but perhaps less capable of the more subtle feedback the type of haptics in the Vive and steam controller are capable of. Either way, from reading a few other impressions it sounds like they'll be fine, and as you say it's the ergonomics that are the major improvement. I wish they'd hurry up and announce a date and price.

Zaptruder

Banned
If you buy into Oculus' closed ecosystem, then you are basically saying that you only ever want to buy Oculus HW in the future (or never want to run the software you invest in on future hardware).

Given the way I've treated console games, this stuff seems to matter much less to me than I'd like to believe.

Buy it play it, remember it fondly. I should also close the circle by reselling.

DirtyLarry

I did a decent amount of reading last night. Apparently I am not the first, nor will I be the last, person to feel queasy from Edge of Nowhere. But many people also reported they eventually got over it. So I am hopeful that will be the case with me.
I was trying a new tea last night as I played that I was not a huge fan of, and I think that was also upsetting my stomach some as well. So as strange as it may sound, I feel as if that also contributed to everything in a small way as well.
I am very hopeful I will eventually get used to it. At least I hope I do or else that would really kinda of suck.

killroy87

It's pretty specific to their plans as it pertains to the PC space. Store exclusives sort of work in this market, but hardware exclusives really don't, and right now it looks like they are sticking with the latter route. Like, there are reasons to do this in other markets, but there isn't really any good ones for doing it in the PC space; moving forward it doesn't just tie you to using their store, but also is trying to strongarm you into their next HMD. If someone winds up buying a different HMD because next round they like that one more than Oculus', what do you do with the games you bought from Oculus? I've got PC games from a couple decades ago I can play on any PC I can install the latest Windows on. Not super interested in getting attached to their hardware if I have to make considerations like that going forward. They're sort of pretending they're already in the future where their HMD isn't tied to a PC and this might not be an egregious overreach.

I am not as hardline about it at some people - I will probably buy whatever remaining exclusives come out that are relevant to this first round of HMDs on the Rift side - but just as a consumer unless something changes about their plans I don't see why I would continue that relationship with them beyond the hardware I already own. Pretty much any game I buy from their store isn't a safe purchase that I can be confident I'll be able to play later on different hardware, which any longtime PC gamer can tell you matters a lot. PC games tend to improve substantially for quite some time as PC technology improves and there's a lot of value in being able to go back to a game with much more capable hardware. It'll be even more true of these first gen VR capable games which are quite constrained by GPU and resolution factors.

Given how fast VR technology will continue to evolve, that seems like a terrible choice.

What is this supposed to mean? There are few input devices more programmable than those circle pads.

Fair enough, thanks for the input guys!

Yeah, I agree that the closed ecosystem is bad for the industry. It just sucks that the oculus seems to be locking down some of the more interesting games. While Vive has the tech, I feel like the software output has been a bit lacking (from what I've seen).

wonderpug

Neo Member

Eh? I have a Rift now and I have no allegiance to Oculus that would prevent me from jumping to another platform in the next gen. I can buy games on Steam if I'm that worried about losing access next gen. If it's Oculus exclusive and I lose access because I bought it there, well, now I've got the same no access I'd have had if I went Vive first.

Onemic

Eh? I have a Rift now and I have no allegiance to Oculus that would prevent me from jumping to another platform in the next gen. I can buy games on Steam if I'm that worried about losing access next gen. If it's Oculus exclusive and I lose access because I bought it there, well, now I've got the same no access I'd have had if I went Vive first.

He means that going Oculus means that you're Ok with forgoing all your Oculus exclusive purchases if you ever decide to get a non-Oculus HMD in the future.

Yoritomo

Woah.

When you're first starting out I suggest jumping out of VR immediately when you start to feel uncomfortable, dizzy, headache, any inkling. Recovery can be fast if you catch it quick. If you try to tough it out you might be in for some pain.

hymanator

I'm still on the fence about which headset to get, but I am starting to lean more toward getting an Oculus.

• Bigger library of games (Plays Oculus and Steam games without the need for any hacks or patches and rumored support with Xbox One Scorpio)
  • Oculus Touch controller impressions seem favorable over Vive controllers
  • Oculus headset is generally considered the lighter and more comfortable headset
The main deal breaker right not is that you have to wait for a fairly long time to get an Oculus with the Touch controllers for the "walk around" VR experience that Vive already has. Vive is very tempting because it's something you can get immediately. The other thing holding me back from buying anything at all is the price. Since these things are so expensive, I'm just waiting things out a little more.

Crispy75

Ditto. I'm waiting for Touch to be out and some decent comparisons made. IF touch works with the majority of SteamVR titles and IF "full roomscale" works well with it, then it does indeed look like the better bet.

bj00rn_

Banned
I'm still on the fence about which headset to get, but I am starting to lean more toward getting an Oculus.

• Bigger library of games (Plays Oculus and Steam games without the need for any hacks or patches and rumored support with Xbox One Scorpio)
  • Oculus Touch controller impressions seem favorable over Vive controllers
  • Oculus headset is generally considered the lighter and more comfortable headset
The main deal breaker right not is that you have to wait for a fairly long time to get an Oculus with the Touch controllers for the "walk around" VR experience that Vive already has. Vive is very tempting because it's something you can get immediately. The other thing holding me back from buying anything at all is the price. Since these things are so expensive, I'm just waiting things out a little more.

I'm sure the Rift has better comfort. But i just wanted to say that I wore my Vive 6 hours every day during several weekends lately and felt fine.

Also the extra brightness of the Vive displays is a very very underrated plus.

Anyway, The touch controllers will never work well with room scale, or even standing in some cases, with today's camera configuration. Which is why Oculus doesn't really want to talk about it.

DirtyLarry

Okay, few things.

Eve: Valkyrie is the real deal. Not sure why I waited so long to check it out. Now this is what i expected VR to be. Bonkers. Love it.

Also, perhaps the best gaming related purchase I have made in quite some time...

K7Tb.jpg

Was $20 and worth every penny. Can be found here at Amazon.

DirtyLarry

Also, this is perhaps a really dumb question, but I notice even if the Oculus Home App is closed, the Oculus itself is still under the device manager (Which makes complete sense).

Does one need to unplug Oculus completely if they are playing non VR games? Is leaving it plugged in even if the Oculus Home App is closed somehow detrimental to the performance of non VR games?

I am thinking it is fine to leave it plugged in, but just wanted to make sure. I am thinking there is a small possibility games may detect it as another monitor and it may cause some issues, but doubtful. Again, just wanted to triple check and I realize it is a somewhat dumb question. I do.

mitchman

Gold Member
Does one need to unplug Oculus completely if they are playing non VR games? Is leaving it plugged in even if the Oculus Home App is closed somehow detrimental to the performance of non VR games?
No, it can be plugged in just fine. The background Oculus process detects when the headset is worn and will open the VR framework then, and only then.

vermadas

Also, perhaps the best gaming related purchase I have made in quite some time...

(snip)

I've heard that storing headsets in this fashion isn't really a good idea because it puts extra wear on the straps. Also, it looks like it's triggering the proximity sensor; the IR LEDs are visible which should only happen if the headset on and active.

Also, this is perhaps a really dumb question, but I notice even if the Oculus Home App is closed, the Oculus itself is still under the device manager (Which makes complete sense).

I am thinking it is fine to leave it plugged in, but just wanted to make sure. I am thinking there is a small possibility games may detect it as another monitor and it may cause some issues, but doubtful. Again, just wanted to triple check and I realize it is a somewhat dumb question. I do.

As long as Oculus Home is closed, it's fine. Oculus Home may or may not be rendering in the background if you leave it open, even if the headset is not being used.

DirtyLarry

I've heard that storing headsets in this fashion isn't really a good idea because it puts extra wear on the straps. Also, it looks like it's triggering the proximity sensor; the IR LEDs are visible which should only happen if the headset on and active.

As long as Oculus Home is closed, it's fine. Oculus Home may or may not be rendering in the background if you leave it open, even if the headset is not being used.
The sensors look active because I changed the levels of the photograph in Photoshop because I took it under awful lighting. They were not on.
EDIT - actually looking at the original, the LED's do look on My mistake. Wouldn't they not be on if I close Oculus Home though? It definitely was open when I took this picture as I had just set it up.

That is a valid point about the straps but I do not think it is going to be an issue, the straps were actually not holding it up, it just kind of is resting on it. You can kind of see it with the top strap, it is pointing up because it is not really on the head holding it up.

I am going to triple check that though, but I do recall looking at the straps and they were all just loosely resting. I just really did not want to leave it unprotected out on its own. My cat loves my desk and especially that area because of the warmth of the monitor, and the last thing I need is him clawing the lenses (never declawed him). So I think it may be a fair trade off even if it does put some wear on the straps, I think that is the lesser of the two evils. But then again I do not even think it is going to be an issue, as like I said the straps are not really holding it up.

DirtyLarry

What is the verdict on Project Cars in VR? Since it is $14.99 I am strongly considering.
However with that said, I was not a huge fan of the normal game, so I am not quite sold VR is going to catapult it to a good game, but it could I am thinking. So just curious if anyone has checked it out.

Also I am reading a lot of comments by people that the Vanishing of Ethan Carter made them sick. I had it in my cart but removed it. Yay or Nay on it as well?

FYI vermadas first thing I did when I got home was check, the straps are not supporting the Oculus at all. Like not at all. The mannequins head is. And the sensors were also off. So honestly it seems like a really good solution to me, at least the head I linked.

What is the verdict on Project Cars in VR? Since it is $14.99 I am strongly considering.
However with that said, I was not a huge fan of the normal game, so I am not quite sold VR is going to catapult it to a good game, but it could I am thinking. So just curious if anyone has checked it out.

Also I am reading a lot of comments by people that the Vanishing of Ethan Carter made them sick. I had it in my cart but removed it. Yay or Nay on it as well?

I didn't care for PCars on screen, but I liked it a lot in VR. I do have a wheel though, so that helps a lot with immersion.

Ethan Carter is probably the only game I've tried since DK1 that has made me truly unwell, and it is more or less the reason I am staying away from conventional controls in first person games. It's hard to say anything as a general thing though, and I might have been better able to tolerate it if I took care to move more carefully. Refunded it since I had already played the original version.

DirtyLarry

I didn't care for PCars on screen, but I liked it a lot in VR. I do have a wheel though, so that helps a lot with immersion.

Ethan Carter is probably the only game I've tried since DK1 that has made me truly unwell, and it is more or less the reason I am staying away from conventional controls in first person games. It's hard to say anything as a general thing though, and I might have been better able to tolerate it if I took care to move more carefully. Refunded it since I had already played the original version.
Cool. Thanks for the feedback.
I too have a wheel, and only played Project Cars on the PS4 without a wheel, so I do think that could make a big difference.
So yeah I am sold on PC. The price is also right.

Yeah, I am really reading a lot of people getting sick from TVoEC, and since I got sick from Edge of Nowhere, I am going to pass for now.

I think with the games I already purchased, and Project Cars (possibly the coasters game too but $30 still seems like a lot), I am good for now.

Thank you.

vermadas

FYI vermadas first thing I did when I got home was check, the straps are not supporting the Oculus at all. Like not at all. The mannequins head is. And the sensors were also off. So honestly it seems like a really good solution to me, at least the head I linked.

Project CARS is pretty good in VR. Definitely recommended at that price.

And yeah, if you're at all susceptible to motion sickness, stay away from VoEC.

Re: the mannequin head, good to hear. Should be fine then :)

Here's something I've noticed as we're getting into summer - wearing a VR headset for a prolonged period while the weather is warm is really not pleasant. And that's with a Rift which I found a lot less prone to overheating my face.

Top Bottom