• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Zalusithix

But none of your examples are specifically things that would mean an analogue stick is a compromised solution when used for roomscale/standing. In fact one, the gesture control, in reality is unlikely to give much extra utility than you'd get from the range of motion you can do with one or two analogue sticks. So what's left that makes them better for room scale?
Look, you like touchpads. Fine. But I'm not seeing any compelling argument that they open up any new game design possibilities that make up for the fact that they cannot replace a stick for games where analogue movement is required. You may not be interested in those sorts of games, but since the sticks are there on the Touch controller I bet we're going to see a lot of them and it's just a shame they're not going to port well to the Vive.

Once again, the haptic feedback is married to the touchpad. You could theoretically mate the haptics to another large surface, but finer grained feedback would be dulled. I view high frequency feedback that can communicate things with finesse of great use in VR when properly implemented. Touchpads can do gestures and become flexible button layouts better than an analog stick. They can emulate intertia ala trackballs. They can become scroll wheels. Quite literally, the only thing sticks are better for is analog movement. Out of the millions of things you can do in standing/roomscale VR, analog movement is a one trick pony that's also rather controversial.

Sure, Touch -> Vive control schemes are going to require work for porting. Similarly, games that use the Vive's touchpad's ability to become any number of flexible buttons wont emulate well on the Touch either which only has 2. You could flick the stick in a given direction, but that's less than ideal for anything that might require multiple presses. Devs will have to compensate when porting in either direction. Just the nature of the beast. I don't think that HTC should just revert to sticks because Oculus is doing so.

Tain

I'd also say that, on top of analog movement, the four-way digital inputs that so many Vive games use right now map to an analog stick better than they do a touch pad, particularly when it comes to combinations/diagonals. Maybe that's just in my experience.

Zalusithix

I think we'll just have to disagree. For me, the loss of analogue movement as an option is just not a compromise worth making for some potential benefits of a touchpad. Time will tell!
On your point about feedback - I've never read any impressions which said that it was worse with the Touch than the Vive. In fact I've read some impressions that say it's better - https://m.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3mmy0q/will_the_oculus_touch_controllers_have_haptic/cvgo1r0

Like many things, user preference plays a huge factor, so yeah, we'll probably never fully agree on it. As for the haptics on the Touch, it wouldn't surprise me if they are better in some respects. The haptic solution used in the Vive controller isn't a perfect solution. There's no way motors can reach the high frequency nature of the type used in the Steam or Vive controller though. You simply can't modulate a weighted motor that quickly without oversizing the motor and dumping a ton of power into it. Inertia's a bitch. An ideal world would have multiple types of feedback in a single package.

I'm honestly torn on the subject. I try to think of situations where the trackpad is something that can't be emulated on the analog and I have a hard time thinking of anything significant. Like sometimes the trackpad would be marginally better, but really only for haptic feedback and I'm not totally sure if said feedback couldn't be incorporated in to sticks to mitigate that difference even further. Scrolling I guess is one, but I'm honestly not a fan of how scrolling feels on the trackpad. Pushing in a direction and then selecting is another (like how you change weapons in SPT) but I find anything that requires me to press the edge of the trackpad like a button awkward and would probably be better from a usability perspective by having the motion alone confirm (with a deadzone in the center or bottom for resting your thumb). I may be thinking too far in the box though or maybe I'm missing some implementations that use the trackpad to a greater potential. Part of me wants a stick on one and a trackpad on the other for both options, but that would mess with the feel of some ambidextrous games like SPT.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm honestly torn on the subject. I try to think of situations where the trackpad is something that can't be emulated on the analog and I have a hard time thinking of anything significant. Like sometimes the trackpad would be marginally better, but really only for haptic feedback and I'm not totally sure if said feedback couldn't be incorporated in to sticks to mitigate that difference even further. Scrolling I guess is one, but I'm honestly not a fan of how scrolling feels on the trackpad. Pushing in a direction and then selecting is another (like how you change weapons in SPT) but I find anything that requires me to press the edge of the trackpad like a button awkward and would probably be better from a usability perspective by having the motion alone confirm (with a deadzone in the center or bottom for resting your thumb). I may be thinking too far in the box though or maybe I'm missing some implementations that use the trackpad to a greater potential. Part of me wants a stick on one and a trackpad on the other for both options, but that would mess with the feel of some ambidextrous games like SPT.

I think a trackpad on one would be a good compromise. And allowing users to define which is left/right so it would work for left handed people too.

At the moment I'm not missing analog input for movement because I prefer teleportation, and for seated games I think it's reasonable to expect users to grab a 360 pad if they want controller support (also why I thought oculus didn't need to pack-in an Xb1 pad)

Durante

I think non-symmetrical VR controllers are a bad idea in general.

I also agree with all the points Zalusithix made about why touchpads are preferable to sticks for a tracked VR device. The only advantage of sticks is doing a thing better which you probably shouldn't do in the first place. (Artificial locomotion)

A very simple but good example of trackpad use is pool nation VR, where putting your finger on the trackpad pops up control mapping information, and the trackpad itself also serves as two "buttons".

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Is it possible to play games with regular non-VR 3D support on Vive and Oculus?

it is using theater mode..or virtual desktop,or big picture allows just about anygame to run that runs on windows...big issue is text legibility if you can't scale the ui and text to be very large aka console ui scale then I wouldn't bother.

Wallach

VR Lens Lab Kickstarter backers can now order the prescription lenses and select the adapters you want them for. I'd get stuff ordered as quickly as possible.

Here's hoping this turns out great!

I have a kickstarter rift, sadly plugged in a room with not too much space for walking around. The other day I tried a vive in a larger room with the controller, and I have to say it was significantly more immersive.

Out of curiosity:
a) now i can't wait to try motion controller with the rift - is the hydra a good stopgap solution until touch comes out, or is it just a waste of money.

b) besides the front camera (very cool), what is - tech wise - the difference between vive and oculus. Does the double tracking camera (which are also significantly larger than the tiny oculus webcam) provide better tracking in some sense?

c) Should I just sell my rift and get a vive, or was I mostly wawed by the controller / large room setup but I can recreate that if I wait for the touch / rearrange my room?

Durante

b) besides the front camera (very cool), what is - tech wise - the difference between vive and oculus. Does the double tracking camera (which are also significantly larger than the tiny oculus webcam) provide better tracking in some sense?
First of all, the lighthouses are not cameras ;)

Secondly, this question has been discussed ad nauseum. What is absolutely the case is that the lighthouses do provide better tracking "in some sense". Their angle of view is larger horizontally and significantly larger vertically, and their laser tracking has a larger theoretical distance ceiling. They can track an arbitrary number of additional points without any disambiguation issues and negligible computational effort. Whether these differences are actually relevant for average use or not is, as I said, under heavy discussion. What is certainly true is that they allow for much more flexible placement, due to both the FoV and the need for only a power cable (rather than a USB3 connection).

c) Should I just sell my rift and get a vive, or was I mostly wawed by the controller / large room setup but I can recreate that if I wait for the touch / rearrange my room?
Other than the tracking differences outlined above, relevant hardware points for active room-scale use are the much more sturdy 5m cable and the front camera.

But really, by far the biggest practical difference is that Valve/HTC are all-in on official room-scale support, while Oculus has maintained time and again that they are only supporting front-facing experiences.

First of all, the lighthouses are not cameras ;)

Secondly, this question has been discussed ad nauseum. What is absolutely the case is that the lighthouses do provide better tracking "in some sense". Their angle of view is larger horizontally and significantly larger vertically, and their laser tracking has a larger theoretical distance ceiling. They can track an arbitrary number of additional points without any disambiguation issues and negligible computational effort. Whether these differences are actually relevant for average use or not is, as I said, under heavy discussion. What is certainly true is that they allow for much more flexible placement, due to both the FoV and the need for only a power cable (rather than a USB3 connection).

Other than the tracking differences outlined above, relevant hardware points for active room-scale use are the much more sturdy 5m cable and the front camera.

But really, by far the biggest practical difference is that Valve/HTC are all-in on official room-scale support, while Oculus has maintained time and again that they are only supporting front-facing experiences.
Thanks for your answer :) Yes, sorry - I realize many of these questions must be well-trodden territory, but I was hoping for a more up-to-date (and ideally somewhat unbiased) perspective on the whole thing - so thanks for offering your thoughts.

Damn. Sounds like I shouldn't have bought any game on the oculus platform. Now I am tempted to sell mine (after playing that Lovecraft game) and just get a vive - even if I have no idea how to make the room for room-scale VR

Paganmoon

Have there been any hands on impressions of the PSVR titles shown yet? Cause a lot of them seemed to have "regular" locomotion, which felt strange considering it's not used so much else where. So I'm curious if Sony have managed to find a good solution for it somehow, considering so many shown had it.

bj00rn_

Banned
Have there been any hands on impressions of the PSVR titles shown yet? Cause a lot of them seemed to have "regular" locomotion, which felt strange considering it's not used so much else where

Because of seated VR I guess? Teleportation (and ratcheting) is inconvenient in a seated position.

Paganmoon

Because of seated VR I guess? Teleportation (and ratcheting) is inconvenient in a seated position.

yeah, I meant, I'm wondering how they solved the problem of motion sickness with regular locomotion, in VR in general. Seated still has problem with stick locomotion.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Didn't FF XV VR Experience have some kind of teleportation in what they showed?

I"m curious how much of a vomit fest RE7 VR is. The rest of what they showed seemed a bit more careful done.

RE should be fine. Third person works fine, even RE4 on Dolphin in VR works pretty well all things considered. If it's first person, it'll probably be pretty slow so with a bit of consideration it should be comfortable for most people.

Zalusithix

yeah, I meant, I'm wondering how they solved the problem of motion sickness with regular locomotion, in VR in general. Seated still has problem with stick locomotion.

From what I've done with seated play, it's less susceptible to motion sickness by virtue of positional disconnect. You're secured and seated in a chair. Your body feels that, and at least for me, the mind can filter what it sees in terms of a cockpit game. Even without a frame of reference. Perhaps not as comfortable as a true cockpit game, but certainly less nausea inducing than standing play.

In standing play when the world tilts or rotates under you, you can get that dizzy unbalanced feeling. Your body isn't totally sure what is going on. Are you falling? Is the world moving? You only have your two feet to go by, so your mind is far less assured on what is going on.

mrdeiz

Got all 3 major HMDs: Rift, Vive and GearVR. Vive is definitively the winner. Would like to see more titles on steamvr

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
How about the new Move gun?

playstation-vr-aim.jpg

http://www.roadtovr.com/farpoint-ps...n-vr-aim-e3-2016-hands-on/?platform=hootsuite

Is it a decent attempt at selling more peripherals to compensate the lack of new controllers?

How about the new Move gun?

http://www.roadtovr.com/farpoint-ps...n-vr-aim-e3-2016-hands-on/?platform=hootsuite

Is it a decent attempt at selling more peripherals to compensate the lack of new controllers?

Pretty disappointing that it's the first thing they've shown which combines motion controllers with sticks. They really should update the Move controllers.

Sounds good though, and I like how they've dealt with movement. Just a shame it's not a shell for new Move controllers.

Zalusithix

Tendo

I'm torn between jumping in with a vive or a rift. I love the idea of the full range of motion that the vive gives with its controllers and tracking, but if I just want to chill out with a 360 controller and sit can I still do that?

And likewise, does the steamVR mode work with the rift if I go that route? I've heard, I believe it was someone on 8-4, say that playing regular games in that huge setting on Rift was awesome. Sorry for being the 3297483th person to ask this I'm sure :(

Hari Seldon

I'm torn between jumping in with a vive or a rift. I love the idea of the full range of motion that the vive gives with its controllers and tracking, but if I just want to chill out with a 360 controller and sit can I still do that?

And likewise, does the steamVR mode work with the rift if I go that route? I've heard, I believe it was someone on 8-4, say that playing regular games in that huge setting on Rift was awesome. Sorry for being the 3297483th person to ask this I'm sure :(

The Vive has 3 modes: sitting, standing, and full room. It is up to the game to support one or more of these modes. Right now I'm only able to sit and stand with mine and it is still great.

Imo the Vive is the one to go with: 1. You will get the Vive in a few days, 2. the room scale and wands are pretty fucking amazing, and 3. Oculus has been committing severe tomfoolery by moneyhatting a indy devs to timed exclusives (see /r/Vive for ongoing mob pitchforking).

Gabe Newell on Exclusivity:

“We’re for open systems, obviously.
I think consumers and developers are pretty sophisticated nowadays, and know what is in their best interests long term (open).
I also think there are going to be a lot of companies building VR systems, which will make it really unlikely that anyone will be able to get away with a closed system.
As far as Valve, we’ve made some progress away from being a gatekeeper, and we’ve got a plan to where we are completely out of the way of developers and customers connecting.”

http://uploadvr.com/gabe-newell-responds-concerns-oculus-exclusivity/

Tendo

The Vive has 3 modes: sitting, standing, and full room. It is up to the game to support one or more of these modes. Right now I'm only able to sit and stand with mine and it is still great.

Imo the Vive is the one to go with: 1. You will get the Vive in a few days, 2. the room scale and wands are pretty fucking amazing, and 3. Oculus has been committing severe tomfoolery by moneyhatting a indy devs to timed exclusives (see /r/Vive for ongoing mob pitchforking).

build quality on the vive still solid? I have glasses so I like the idea that I can move the headpiece to account for that on the vive?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
From what I've done with seated play, it's less susceptible to motion sickness by virtue of positional disconnect. You're secured and seated in a chair. Your body feels that, and at least for me, the mind can filter what it sees in terms of a cockpit game. Even without a frame of reference. Perhaps not as comfortable as a true cockpit game, but certainly less nausea inducing than standing play.

It depends...in a cockpit game where you have actual experience, like a driving sim or a flight sim if you've flown in a cockpit before, you can actually have a different experience where you body expects a particular G-force pulling at you when you go into a turn but you don't, so there's also a bit of a weird disconnect feeling you end up gettting in those scenarios. I've even found myself moving forward during a hard brake once, out of habit I guess from being in that situation before.

It's not exactly nausea during these moments, but it definitely caused a weird uneasy feeling in me the first couple of times. It's not as bad if you're fixated on a point in space in the distance, like when tracking a target during a dogfight.

bj00rn_

Banned

Yes and yes.

I use my Vive mostly for seated experiences these days (Project Cars, Elite Dangerous and DCS World).

A noticeable advantage that the Vive has is that it has a very bright display, and room scale VR is amazing when you had enough of the chillin..

Don't know what you mean about "that huge setting"?

Tendo

Yes and yes.

I use my Vive mostly for seated experiences these days (Project Cars, Elite Dangerous and DCS World).

A noticeable advantage that the Vive has is that it has a very bright display, and room scale VR is amazing when you had enough of the chillin..

Don't know what you mean about "that huge setting"?

room scale vr is what i was talking about. Perf. I'm in! Thanks gang!

f@luS

More than a member.
Ok I've got my first experience with VR today. It's a rollercoaster (a real one ) with a Samsung gear vr that mimic the real railway with things happening (like t being destroyed and so on ). Iq was ugly damn how impressive and immersive it was. I can't wait now for psvr

wonderpug

Neo Member
room scale vr is what i was talking about. Perf. I'm in! Thanks gang!

I highly recommend doing more research. This ain't a cheap investment, and it's really hard to know who will or won't end up as the Betamax of this first generation. The Rift or PSVR may very well be the best choice for you. All three headsets have their pros and cons.

Zalusithix

It depends...in a cockpit game where you have actual experience, like a driving sim or a flight sim if you've flown in a cockpit before, you can actually have a different experience where you body expects a particular G-force pulling at you when you go into a turn but you don't, so there's also a bit of a weird disconnect feeling you end up gettting in those scenarios. I've even found myself moving forward during a hard brake once, out of habit I guess from being in that situation before.

It's not exactly nausea during these moments, but it definitely caused a weird uneasy feeling in me the first couple of times. It's not as bad if you're fixated on a point in space in the distance, like when tracking a target during a dogfight.

I haven't done any driving in VR yet, but that's quite possible. You would be used to the expected feedback from driving while seated. VR wont provide that. I was speaking mostly from FPS movement via VorpX and space flight experiences.

In the FPS case it feels more like I was remotely piloting a robot. The expectation of inertia wasn't there. I honestly expected it to be highly unsettling with controlling the view via the mouse, but it didn't do much to me. My mind more or less refused to accept what I was seeing as reality. I was seated, yet walking. I was holding a weapon, but not. My view could change without me actually looking. To call the experience underwhelming would be rather accurate. The only thing it had going for it was the sense of scale.

On the flight side of things, immersion was far better. Sitting in a seat like your virtual avatar helps sell the illusion and not break immersion. There's no inertia, but I'm not a pilot, let alone a space ship pilot. My mind isn't trained to expect certain feedback cues from the actions. If I slam the brake hard in a car, I know what my body is going to do immediately. I can see how performing the same action in VR would set up an expectation loop. Hitting a space brake doesn't do that for me. I expect nothing. Meanwhile there's less going on around me to accurately gauge speed in the first place. Everything is too foreign. Between that and the cockpit making a static frame of reference, I had no comfort issues at all. I felt more or less like I was there, but no comfort issues. Well other than map rotation, but there was no frame of reference there.

Standing play with tracked controllers is a whole different beast though. Unexpected movement detached from your physical movement is basically an instant queasiness generator. Heck, my first time moving the world in Pool Nation VR made my stomach lurch a bit, and I was consciously performing the action. This was despite there being visual cues in place to minimize the side effects. After a bit of using it I could do it without side effects, but I don't expect everybody being able to adapt. Especially since many can't even seem to do the seated VorpX stuff.

Zalusithix

Could be it was a mistake it got removed, and their rectifying it, or they're backtracking after the huge backlash they got.

Either way, good I guess.

https://twitter.com/Giantcop/status/742451284633112577
Backtracking, or simply staying the course. I'm wagering staying the course. With a timed exclusivity deal they'll be on Oculus Home only for that period. The Steam page can say whatever it wants as it wont actually be for sale there until the exclusivity period ends.

Tendo

Before I pull the trigger on the vive I have a question on playspace. my PC is in a room with a futon. the distance from the futon on the floor is 5ft3 inches. length is over 8feet. Is the vive going to register that as ok? I'm not sure how it calculates the play space size.

Before I pull the trigger on the vive I have a question on playspace. my PC is in a room with a futon. the distance from the futon on the floor is 5ft3 inches. length is over 8feet. Is the vive going to register that as ok? I'm not sure how it calculates the play space size.
Should be fine. You can trick it a bit and map the free space above your futon as well.

Zalusithix

SteamVR calculates the play space size by making the biggest box it can with the outline of your usable space. The usable space is defined by using the controllers and walking around the room. Either holding the trigger down as you go, or clicking in each corner. The usable space can be asymmetrical, but the play space, and thus chaperone bounds will always be a rectangle within it.

Wallach

https://twitter.com/Giantcop/status/742451284633112577
Backtracking, or simply staying the course. I'm wagering staying the course. With a timed exclusivity deal they'll be on Oculus Home only for that period. The Steam page can say whatever it wants as it wont actually be for sale there until the exclusivity period ends.

But he was quoted as saying there is no contract for a set period of time the game has to exclusively be on Oculus Home. Which sounds a lot like how Project CARS launched, and had Vive support added after a little over a month.

On a different note, has anyone had their VR Lens Kickstarter orders ship?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I think non-symmetrical VR controllers are a bad idea in general.

I also agree with all the points Zalusithix made about why touchpads are preferable to sticks for a tracked VR device. The only advantage of sticks is doing a thing better which you probably shouldn't do in the first place. (Artificial locomotion)

A very simple but good example of trackpad use is pool nation VR, where putting your finger on the trackpad pops up control mapping information, and the trackpad itself also serves as two "buttons".

I really wish people would stop saying you shouldn't do artificial locomotion. Of the 25 people i have demoed our prototype to not one of them has gotten motion sick from the traditional movement.

If yall ever want VR to take off for gaming you better hope teleportation dies off. Its never going to be compelling for the mainstream that want VR skyrim and other games wit natural movement.

Tradition movement is fine if you set movement speed slow (much slower than games like cod or uncharted) and make it really smooth (no jerkiness).

Just don't try to turn the player :p. Let them turn themselves.

In the future I believe we will all have our VR legs and the idea of teleportation will be a joke, like playing with a dial and single button.

Krejlooc

Banned
I really wish people would stop saying you shouldn't do artificial locomotion. Of the 25 people i have demoed our prototype to not one of them has gotten motion sick from the traditional movement.

Of the several thousands of people I've demoed to over the last 3 years, I've seen hundreds get sick from artificial locomotion.

Teleportation is adequate, especially for games like Skyrim.

EDIT: And for some, when I say sick, I mean really sick. As in, white in the face, "I need to lay down for a few hours" sick.

I have never seen anybody get sick like that from teleportation.

Tain

There are a million different ways to do artificial locomotion and when it causes discomfort, there's a huge range of how much or how little discomfort it can cause.

Lucky's Tale, Hover Junkers, Elite Dangerous, etc etc are proof enough that it has a place.

Top Bottom