• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Tain

Here, this seems worthy of a cross-post from the PSVR demo thread…

I can't get behind the praise for the screen, at least not to that degree. The lack of SDE and fresnel artifacts is great, but it definitely doesn't make up for the resolution deficit.

It is extremely comfortable.

As I said in the PSVR VentureBeat article thread, I think it's possible to have decent forward-facing motion tracking experiences even with a single tracker, but I'm concerned about Move itself and how accurate rotational tracking can really be when the only optical reference is the big color ball. Wish I could have tried a Move demo.

cakely

A couple of weeks ago I finally got a chance to try modern VR in the form of an Occulus Rift. I had a couple of hours when I was visiting a friend in Ypsilanti, Mi.

Long story short: For me, at least, VR is the real deal. I'm in.

The head tracking, framerate, and 3D were seamless. Even in the "white room" that comes up when you boot the gear, it felt like the surrounding room had been completely replaced with a new environment. When the room environment loaded up (a modern-looking room with a fireplace) I spent five minutes just gaping at all the little details ... the rug, the furniture, the scenery outside the window, etc. I was transported.

I'm not a fan of 3D movies. I always felt that they made everything look small, and dark, and fake, even in the theater. This was not the case with VR: The 3D effect works perfectly, and objects that are "close enough to touch" really look touchable. The feeling of immersion, of "being there" absolutely works.

I got to try the dream deck demo, "the chair", EVE Valkyrie, and Lucky's tale. The demos were fun, and were a good proof of concept but not much more.

EVE Valkyrie made me a bit motion sick at first, but it's not something I fault the game with. You spend most of the game doing tight turns and loops while crap flies at you, it's just the nature of the game. To be honest, I thought I would really like it but what I played wasn't that compelling, other than how it looked. It's not starfox, it's just a simple dogfight simulator. That's fine.

So, anyway, I'm sold. The VR effect works for me, much better than I had hoped. I was raving about it to my friends for hours afterwards. Now it's just a matter of figuring out which platform I want to get

Skenzin

Banned
My biggest issue with PSVR is the lack of roomscale. It shows a complete lack of foresight and awareness on Sony's part. Even Oculus is begrudgingly adding it for the rift.

I am glad to hear that the headset is comfy, though I wonder if it will fly off your face at intense moments. Then again, since its a chair VR platform I guess that isn't going to be a problem.

Vive's implementation of roomscale will never be the VR standard for obvious reasons. (1% cockpit gamer crowd). Later VR gens will probably implement a spacial reservation system. Where you reserve like a 3m x 3m empty space in an occupied room prior to gaming. Similar to setting your TV borders during initial setup. I see that being scalable depending on your empty space size and the games could adjust to this dynamically. Roomscale will become smartscale, but this is all coming in the future and future revisions of hardware. Roomscale is just ahead of it time.

Zalusithix

Vive's implementation of roomscale will never be the VR standard for obvious reasons. (1% cockpit gamer crowd). Later VR gens will probably implement a spacial reservation system. Where you reserve like a 3m x 3m empty space in an occupied room prior to gaming. Similar to setting your TV borders during initial setup. I see that being scalable depending on your empty space size and the games could adjust to this dynamically. Roomscale will become smartscale, but this is all coming in the future and future revisions of hardware. Roomscale is just ahead of it time.

Err, the Vive's bounds can be defined before gaming? Games can also scale to the size of the defined area. I'm not sure what is different about that future from the current day.

I've read this three times and can't figure out what you're trying to say. The Vive roomscale implementation does a fantastic job, and can scale dynamically.

bj00rn_

Banned

Welcome to the future - Right now!

Skenzin

Banned
Welcome to the future - Right now!

I've read this three times and can't figure out what you're trying to say. The Vive roomscale implementation does a fantastic job, and can scale dynamically.

Err, the Vive's bounds can be defined before gaming? Games can also scale to the size of the defined area. I'm not sure what is different about that future from the current day.

Shit. I'm on the wrong side of this thing.

Shit. I'm on the wrong side of this thing.
image.php

I'm not a fan of 3D movies. I always felt that they made everything look small, and dark, and fake, even in the theater. This was not the case with VR: The 3D effect works perfectly, and objects that are "close enough to touch" really look touchable. The feeling of immersion, of "being there" absolutely works.

This is why my blood starts to boil when the "3d=vr" argument shows up.

3D in theaters (where 99% of the time it's a post-processing effect) has nothing to do with VR (and with proper, native, stereoscopic 3D, for that matter).

In VR things are 1:1 scale and you get a 3D image because you get a separate image for each eye's viewpoint, just like you normally get in real life.

It's not a "3D effect", it's just how our own perception of the world works. xD

Glad you saw the light. xD

So the Rift has started shipping worldwide through Amazon.

Should I go ahead or wait for Vive availability for my country?
I have been more interested in the vive till now... What does Gaf recommend?

Zaptruder

Banned
Strangely enough, I saw one account on Reddit of somebody with an ocular issue where they didn't have depth perception in real life, but somehow did on the Vive. Go figure.

Probably due to the seperation of the accommodation and convergence cues.

Which funnily enough some of the VR old guard were trying to convince us that this was a bad thing and would be an important reason as to why VR wouldn't catch on.

Some of the old guard come across as either a bit bitter about not been the reason that VR has now caught on, or actually kinda misunderstood the lessons that VR taught them during development - probably because they were working with limited technology with insufficient software resources and thus erroneously conflated various factors that we're starting to get better at teasing out.

Zalusithix

So the Rift has started shipping worldwide through Amazon.

Should I go ahead or wait for Vive availability for my country?
I have been more interested in the vive till now... What does Gaf recommend?

If you've been interested mostly in the Vive until now, I assume you've been more interested in the tracked controller aspect? That has been its main calling card after all. Jumping early on the Rift wont help you there. The Touch controllers will come eventually, but there's still some unknowns there. Better to wait for Touch availability and user experience reports to make the call there IMO. At least I don't feel comfortable recommending a $600 headset on the basis of a future accessory at an unknown price point with possible inventory issues.

If you're primarily interested in seated experiences, the Rift should be a fine choice.
Probably due to the seperation of the accommodation and convergence cues.

Which funnily enough some of the VR old guard were trying to convince us that this was a bad thing and would be an important reason as to why VR wouldn't catch on.

Some of the old guard come across as either a bit bitter about not been the reason that VR has now caught on, or actually kinda misunderstood the lessons that VR taught them during development - probably because they were working with limited technology with insufficient software resources and thus erroneously conflated various factors that we're starting to get better at teasing out.
Could be. There's so many variables with our eyes and the way our brains interpret the signals when you're talking about sight issues.

Accommodation is certainly something that would benefit VR for the vast majority though. It's not necessary, but it would help make things feel more natural. Not that I see it happening any time soon. Near light field displays are many generations off, and every other approximation I've seen uses multiple layers of screens which is a no go IMO. We don't need bulkier, heavier headsets when the only benefit is accommodation.

If you've been interested mostly in the Vive until now, I assume you've been more interested in the tracked controller aspect? That has been its main calling card after all. Jumping early on the Rift wont help you there. The Touch controllers will come eventually, but there's still some unknowns there. Better to wait for Touch availability and user experience reports to make the call there IMO. At least I don't feel comfortable recommending a $600 headset on the basis of a future accessory at an unknown price point with possible inventory issues.

If you're primarily interested in seated experiences, the Rift should be a fine choice.

Yeah... the controllers make a huge difference
I look at the Rift and my first reaction is, look but don't touch!

I think you are right, the Rift isn't a complete experience right now, I should just wait for the Vive to come.

So at work we have both a Vive and Rift and we want to introduce to VR to all kinds of people. So we're looking for games that are fitting for this. I am familiar with the Vive games and I think Tilt Brush, The Lab and TheBlu are great for this. For the Rift I have more problems finding appropriate things though.

Some of the good experience are big games that take some time to get into and are difficult to play or aren't necessary are the best demonstrations of VR. The Oculus dream things are pretty good, Showdown is decent. I prefer to avoid the DK2 content with a workaround. Apollo 11 seems like a good experience but might be a bit too long. I've been considering Adr1ft, Subnautica and Technolust too, but I'm not sure yet.

Anyone has good recommendations? Some additional Vive recommendations are fine too, but I'm likely to know them already.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So at work we have both a Vive and Rift and we want to introduce to VR to all kinds of people. So we're looking for games that are fitting for this. I am familiar with the Vive games and I think Tilt Brush, The Lab and TheBlu are great for this. For the Rift I have more problems finding appropriate things though.

Some of the good experience are big games that take some time to get into and are difficult to play or aren't necessary are the best demonstrations of VR. The Oculus dream things are pretty good, Showdown is decent. I prefer to avoid the DK2 content with a workaround. Apollo 11 seems like a good experience but might be a bit too long. I've been considering Adr1ft, Subnautica and Technolust too, but I'm not sure yet.

Anyone has good recommendations? Some additional Vive recommendations are fine too, but I'm likely to know them already.

Minecraft on the vive could be good. Maybe spend a few minutes setting up a basic seed and house.

For oculus, I think eve and project cars/asetto corsa could be good. Eve seems straightforward enough, and a racing game works well - maybe pick an open top car but not too fast. Henry is good too. I thnk Apollo 11 is both too slow and quite clunky in spots - it presses your buttons if you're into that subject but I don't think it's first demo. A long shot would be blaze rush - on sale at the moment so it's really cheap but it gives you a nice sense of playing with toy cars when you were little, so it could be a hit. Also super simple to play.

vermadas

I second the recommendation for Blazerush on the Rift. Farlands is also a good one to demo. The Climb will set you back fifty bucks, but I think it's one of the best games to show off as long as you're not afraid of heights. The gameplay is pretty simple to grasp and it's one of the few Rift games that would not work at all if it were flatscreen. Unfortunately, a lot of games use artificial locomotion, and that's something you usually want to avoid when demoing to people with little to no experience in VR.

Minecraft on the vive could be good. Maybe spend a few minutes setting up a basic seed and house.

For oculus, I think eve and project cars/asetto corsa could be good. Eve seems straightforward enough, and a racing game works well - maybe pick an open top car but not too fast. Henry is good too. I thnk Apollo 11 is both too slow and quite clunky in spots - it presses your buttons if you're into that subject but I don't think it's first demo. A long shot would be blaze rush - on sale at the moment so it's really cheap but it gives you a nice sense of playing with toy cars when you were little, so it could be a hit. Also super simple to play.

As far as I know Minecraft is notorious for creating motion sickness. The race games might be solid though, I'll have to think about those as they are a bit expensive.

I second the recommendation for Blazerush on the Rift. Farlands is also a good one to demo. The Climb will set you back fifty bucks, but I think it's one of the best games to show off as long as you're not afraid of heights. The gameplay is pretty simple to grasp and it's one of the few Rift games that would not work at all if it were flatscreen. Unfortunately, a lot of games use artificial locomotion, and that's something you usually want to avoid when demoing to people with little to no experience in VR.

Yeah, The Climb was tempting me too. Having an entire game just for a short demonstration seems a bit much, but it does seem to be very suited for VR. Farlands looked interesting before, so I'll try it out now.

I hear so many positive things about Blazerush, but it doesn't seem like a good demo game, especially for people that might not even have experience with games. But since its cheap I'll probably buy it myself, at least we'll get fun out of it.

As far as I know Minecraft is notorious for creating motion sickness.

The Vivecraft mod is a full room scale implementation of Minecraft with teleport and everything, so it should work just as well as any other room scale Vive content in terms of motion sickness. It does offer optional movement schemes with artificial movement, but they have to be explicitly enabled from what I recall.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The Vivecraft mod is a full room scale implementation of Minecraft with teleport and everything, so it should work just as well as any other room scale Vive content in terms of motion sickness. It does offer optional movement schemes with artificial movement, but they have to be explicitly enabled from what I recall.

Yeah on vive it's proper room scale with teleporting. It's great. But maybe more suited to anyone hat has already played minecraft so they can appreciate how Bing in a world they created

Oculus support is the fucking worst (besides Steam Support).

I got an email on 24th stating that they cant charge my CC. Called my bank and they said they didnt even get any incoming charge. And even if they would have, they would let it go through. Nothing would be blocked.

I write an email to the support and get a quick answer. "Type in your CC information again. Maybe use PayPal. Use another browser."

When I use PayPal everytime it showed "Whoops. Something went wrong." So I typed in my CC information again and asked support whether its okay now or if they can look into the problem why I cant use my PayPal to pay."
Yeah. Nothing. Since 4 days yesterday so I tried out if the PP of my wife with the same billing adress and debit card as mine worked. Yeah. That worked.

And now I wake up to:

Your order has been cancelled.

WTF Oculus?
I mean the support ticket is still open and I even wrote yesterday after I used my wifes PayPal, whether thats okay in the still open support ticket, so if it wouldnt be okay, they could have written "Oh. You cant do that. Try your CC again" or sth. like that.

I am beyond mad right now and frustrated.... What a shitty support.

Yeah on vive it's proper room scale with teleporting. It's great. But maybe more suited to anyone hat has already played minecraft so they can appreciate how Bing in a world they created

Ah, that might be cool to try out.

Paganmoon

As someone who has been using a dev kit for the past year ish I can attest to this :)

The comfort level of PSVR really is outstanding. My biggest issue with my Vive right now is that it never sits 100%, and isn't comfortable for longer sessions.
Something HTC needs to adopt for their Gen2 device. Or someone could make a lot of money making third party construction that's more comfortable.

magnumpy

just got word that my Oculus order is finally going to ship!

this comes after I already have a Vive, an Oculus DK1 and DK2, and a Google cardboard xD

Arulan

For what it's worth, the Steam hardware survey results have been updated for June:

HTC Vive 0.15% +0.06%
Oculus Rift 0.06% +0.03%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01% -0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00% 0.00%

Mindlog

After being beyond hype to jump in I am now looking at waiting for the next iteration of all of the available devices. However.

Anyone have Subnautica impressions? I am all in on this game and tempted to grab a headset again.

I've demoed the PSVR and the HTC Vive four times each (thanks microcenter and GameStop).

I've decided I'm getting the the Vive.
The advantage the PS VR has is comfort. For everything else I now prefer the Vive.

both the eve demo and the underwater demo were slightly slightly laggy for head tracking, and it gave both me and my wife significant motion sickness. The London heist demo was really fun, but the move controllers aren't as precise as the Vive controllers. And being able to move around fully in a (limited) play space was so good.

After being beyond hype to jump in I am now looking at waiting for the next iteration of all of the available devices. However.

Anyone have Subnautica impressions? I am all in on this game and tempted to grab a headset again.

I don'rt think the next iteration of this first gen head set will be pout for another 2 or 3 years. and I can't wait. I do expect that PVSR2.0 Oculus2.0 and Vive 2.0 will all be taking advantage of foveated rendering, I also thing that Ouslus and PSVR's successors to use some sort of inside-out tracking .

Mindlog

I don'rt think the next iteration of this first gen head set will be pout for another 2 or 3 years. and I can't wait. I do expect that PVSR2.0 Oculus2.0 and Vive 2.0 will all be taking advantage of foveated rendering, I also thing that Ouslus and PSVR's successors to use some sort of inside-out tracking .
I'd honestly be very surprised if all 3 took longer than 2 years.
Within 3 years we'll probably get at least one new major player.

Going to be testing out Subnautica on a Vive soon for myself. The last piece of this wave of tech I haven't tried are the Touch controllers. Gotta get on that.

hows it been working out for you? mine finally shipped yesterday

Pretty good. The waterproof ones works as advertised, no more sweaty foams. The cloth ones tend to slip and slide around, need to affix the velcro straps tighter. They also tend to slip out of the outer lip of the foam on your VR headset. I guess they may conform and stay in place once you use them more often?

Ok, but that's VR mitigating a problem that didn't need to be there. Maybe when you're playing you quickly stop noticing it or something, but I just don't see what it adds other than the aforementioned novelty.

Ok, but that's VR mitigating a problem that didn't need to be there. Maybe when you're playing you quickly stop noticing it or something, but I just don't see what it adds other than the aforementioned novelty.

I think the idea is it's a way to put you in something like a motorcycle (because they want to give you the ability to lean and reach out to the sides to attack), while keeping a "cockpit" in your view as much as possible to lessen nausea, as opposed to a regular motorcycle that would likely only be in your view if you looked down. I guess there are more elegant ways to do that (maybe two thin wheels, or maybe you you ride a unicycle type device with a cockpit), but I assume if it was a big problem, they would have ditched the idea and done something like that.

EDIT:
Watching the trailer again, the wheel is already pretty thin. I'd bet in VR it's a whole lot less in your view than it looks from the 2D trailer.

DirtyLarry

Any last recommendations in the Oculus Sale before it ends?
I own
EVE
Eve: Gunjack
Windlands
Edge of Nowhere
Darknet
Lucky's Tale
Keep Talking...

Just wondering if there are any last minute considerations I should make.
I am also happy to report I can absolutely play Edge of Nowhere with zero issues.
I think the night I tried it my dinner upset my stomach, which at least for me, I am discovering that actually does matter in VR.

Wollan

Chronos is arguably my favorite Oculus Rift game (competing with Lucky's Tale and Edge of Nowhere). I say it's a must buy and why not at $10 less.
It doesn't strike out as a 'VR show off' so it's not a title you will use for demos but this is a quality adventure with good gameplay mechanics.

pj

Banned
Chronos is arguably my favorite Oculus Rift game (competing with Lucky's Tale and Edge of Nowhere). I say it's a must buy and why not at $10 less.
It doesn't strike out as a 'VR show off' so it's not a title you will use for demos but this is a quality adventure with good gameplay mechanics.

I cannot understand why people think Lucky's Tale is a good game. The gameplay is mind-numbingly simple, it's padded to hell and back, and the constantly moving camera makes it just slightly physically uncomfortable to play. The music is terrible as well.

Aside from looking good and being a proof of concept that platformers can work in VR, it brings nothing to the table.

Tain

The constantly moving camera didn't make it uncomfortable for me. The core moveset is simple, but there's a reasonably fast difficulty curve, the time trial mode is pretty fun, and the game ends on a pretty great final boss. Not to mention the visuals, yeah.

It's not a great game, no, but it's solid. It's one of the better uses of my game-playing time in VR so far.

Chronos is really good so far. I started it earlier tonight.

I cannot understand why people think Lucky's Tale is a good game. The gameplay is mind-numbingly simple, it's padded to hell and back, and the constantly moving camera makes it just slightly physically uncomfortable to play. The music is terrible as well.

Aside from looking good and being a proof of concept that platformers can work in VR, it brings nothing to the table.

Simple has nothing to do with bad.
Haven't been the least bit uncomfortable with the game. Have not had any issues whatsoever.

I thought the music was okay. It's a fairly complete platformer that makes great use of VR.

Got an e-mail just a bit ago while watching SGDQ about a new Kickstarter project from VR Cover:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1869563556/new-oculus-rift-facial-interfaces-with-replacement

So they are going to offer replacement facial interfaces, so they can offer both more eyeglass compatible interfaces and replacement foam options for the Rift.

their replacement foam on the GearVR is pretty good I have it on now. Looks like it's made of the same material of sorts. I'll buy it off from their store instead of Kickstarter. Bad experience with KS.

Paganmoon

Quick search on http://steamspy.com/sale/ shows the following for VR only games (I could've missed some games, probably have)

Code:
Vanishing Realms       7550
Apollo 11 VR           7072
Pool Nation VR         6864
Hover Junkers          5930
The Gallery - EP1      5965
Job Simulator          5401 (could this the rough amount of Vives sold during those two weeks?)

Numbers can be very wrong too though, as they're pretty much close to the margin of error for the titles on Steamspy.

Also Final Approach: Pilot edition is at 15k during the sale, but as it was released on the day of the sale, and everyone who had Final Approach got that title, I didn't include it.

So. What do you guys think, that now Oculus also "allows" Roomscale and Touch controllers?

Its a bit strange. It actually feels like the press and gamers noticed that roomscale or at least standing experiences in a small area with motion controllers are a far better experience than just sitting experiences. Seems every roomscale game will work with Touch/2nd camera judging by all those videos on YT lately.

On another note seeing as my Oculus will finally arrive soon, a lot of newly announced games still seem to be more "tech demos" or "casual" games. I wonder how long it takes till that changes and we get more substantial games than these.

Top Bottom