• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

magnumpy

So. What do you guys think, that now Oculus also "allows" Roomscale and Touch controllers?

Its a bit strange. It actually feels like the press and gamers noticed that roomscale or at least standing experiences in a small area with motion controllers are a far better experience than just sitting experiences. Seems every roomscale game will work with Touch/2nd camera judging by all those videos on YT lately.

On another note seeing as my Oculus will finally arrive soon, a lot of newly announced games still seem to be more "tech demos" or "casual" games. I wonder how long it takes till that changes and we get more substantial games than these.

as an owner of both Oculus Rift and an HTC Vive, there isn't a world of difference between them. there are some minor differences like roomscale and integrated headphones, but they are both approximately the same thing. I'm personally leaning more towards the Rift, the biggest issue I have found is actually the way both of those headsets sit on your head and the longer term comfort afforded by their respective designs. I just like the way Oculus "feels" when you're wearing it. I think it all boils down to the straps, Oculus has a much "tighter" fit.

I have a question for vive owners: can the camera that's tracking your surroundings and helping you not bump into things detect pets that suddenly are in the way? Anyone have experience with room scale vr and pets?

I'm getting a dog soon,but I am single and he will be alone quite a lot during the day. I do not have the conscience to lock him up in a separate room whenever I want to play a vr game.

Zalusithix

I have a question for vive owners: can the camera that's tracking your surroundings and helping you not bump into things detect pets that suddenly are in the way? Anyone have experience with room scale vr and pets?

I'm getting a dog soon,but I am single and he will be alone quite a lot during the day. I do not have the conscience to lock him up in a separate room whenever I want to play a vr game.

There is no camera tracking your surroundings. Chaperone is based on your physical location based on boundaries that you set up initially. If anything changes from those configured edges, you'll never be able to tell while in VR. You can bring up the camera manually, but that wont give you any warning.

So. What do you guys think, that now Oculus also "allows" Roomscale and Touch controllers?

Its a bit strange. It actually feels like the press and gamers noticed that roomscale or at least standing experiences in a small area with motion controllers are a far better experience than just sitting experiences. Seems every roomscale game will work with Touch/2nd camera judging by all those videos on YT lately.

On another note seeing as my Oculus will finally arrive soon, a lot of newly announced games still seem to be more "tech demos" or "casual" games. I wonder how long it takes till that changes and we get more substantial games than these.

Now? They were showing it (with the toybox demo) and having stellar impressions when they first unveiled it in pat E3 2015.
We always knew it was coming, but they weren't in a rush to show it. And with reason, given how 'late' is coming, at this pace it will be at the end of the year.

There is no camera tracking your surroundings. Chaperone is based on your physical location based on boundaries that you set up initially. If anything changes from those configured edges, you'll never be able to tell while in VR. You can bring up the camera manually, but that wont give you any warning.

Ahh. That kind of sucks. So pets and room scale are a no go then ...?

Krejlooc

Banned
Virtuix just announced an arcade game version of Crisis Action, a FPS from china:

imVGKYv.jpg

They say Hero, the company behind Crisis Action, is producing 10,000 units that will begin distribution in china.

vermadas

Virtuix just announced an arcade game version of Crisis Action, a FPS from china:

imVGKYv.jpg

They say Hero, the company behind Crisis Action, is producing 10,000 units that will begin distribution in china.

Oh man, that setup really reminds me of the old Dactyl Nigthmare game that was in some arcades in the early '90s. Obviously this will be leagues ahead, tech-wise.

I have two cats and a dog and haven't had any probs

Ok. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Imagine being absorbed in a creepy game, and then suddenly your dog starts licking your hand or something. I'm guessing I would be scared. But hopefully they will learn to not be in the way. (I'm getting a small dog)

Zalusithix

Imagine being absorbed in a creepy game, and then suddenly your dog starts licking your hand or something. I'm guessing I would be scared. But hopefully they will learn to not be in the way. (I'm getting a small dog)

Small dogs quickly learn to keep a safe distance from a moving human that's not explicitly paying attention to them. They might follow close enough to seem a liability, but in reality they can pretty easily dodge any reasonably normal movement. Well, so long as they have enough room to actually get out of the way at least.

Beyond that, the dog will likely loose interest in following close to the human after a period of time of being ignored, and just go sit/lay down somewhere and watch from a distance. If not outright go to sleep. Just don't play any game where you'll be making exaggerated blind dodges in the beginning and the dog should learn to ignore you when you're in VR.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

I have a 6 mo old puppy and I commonly have her in my computer room with a gate up while I'm using the vive. Early on I would kind of shuffle my feet so I wouldn't step on her. I just keep a blanket under my desk and she'll just lay there now.

Though any game that requires me to get on the floor is a nightmare because the whole time she thinks I'm playing with her lol.

Tain

I'm a few hours into Chronos and I wasn't expecting it to be this good. I assumed it would be competent to solid, and I never really got into the Darksiders games, but I'm really enjoying this so far. Playing on Hard.

120v

well already about a quarter of available VR titles are "normal" full content games so i'm not too worried. Doom and Fallout 4 going VR was the biggest news at E3 for me personally, as i'm sure plenty more will follow.

Zaptruder

Banned

imVGKYv.jpg

Hope this takes off... would be a good way of spreading VR awareness in the short term future.

Having a bunch of VR-Arcade installations would be a good way to diversify income streams from devs at this early stage... although that'd lead to arcade oriented experiences... but a lot of the best games emerged out of that era of gaming, so not a bad thing at all!

Another question about vive and room scale, I have a room that's 2,07 meters by 3,30 (I guess about 6,5 feet by almost 10)
But in an article I read that "some games" demand more than this. My room is big enough for the minimum requirement set by valve and HTC,but have any of you ran into games that need bigger than the room I have?

Here's the article http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/htc-vive-vr-how-much-room-space-do-i-really-need-1558494

There are a few games that do, but they're rare. Off the top of my head, the only one I can think of though is Unseen Diplomacy.

Zaptruder

Banned
The original fruit-slicing game, Fruit Ninja is out on VR. Available on Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FioW-aBrGbM

Tried it and have zenblade too. Fruit ninja is more colorful and better looking. More frantic as well and gets you to swing both arms freely.

The angle of the blade matters a lot less... and the size of the hit box is a lot larger. Fruits move slower as well but a lot more are thrown at you.

Its basically a more accessible kid friendly version and is probably better for exercise due to the more frenetic pace from the get go.

If you're getting a lot of value out of the simple action vr games like space trainer youll get a lot of value here too. But its a bare bones app without a whole lot to see or pull you along. If you enjoy the mechanic of swingning a bat (disguised as a sword) at lots of slow moving targets this is fantastic stuff.

edit: it started to work again after I pulled out the DP-to-mini DP cable then pushed it back in, plus quit and restarted the compositor.exe process which was stuck. I still don't know what the problem is, and how to quickly fix it next time :(

Any ideas before I knock myself out?

My vive headset - which was working - has stopped. And I have a second one as well to try, so I know it isn't the headset.

What now happens is when I start steamVR or a game, or anything, I get the red LED on the headset and no video signal. Everything shows normally on the desktop - all green, all tracking.

When I start a game, with 'display mirror' on, the game initial frame shows then it shows a red not responsive. Still no signal in the headset.

I've tried
- power cycle (of course)
- remove and reinstall all USB devices
- a different headset (*) see below
- different USB ports

This happened before and after futzing around it just sort of fixed itself. I don't know what I did to get it working again.

While showing it today, the audio in job simulator stopped working, so I tried restarting steamVR and restarting the PC then I got to where I am.

Note the second headset I just tried is fresh out of the box. It showed no video signal too, but it showed a GREEN led. So then I updated its firmware, because it wanted to, now it behaves identically to the first headset.

I've no clue what is going wrong.

And as an aside, the whole mess of settings USB drivers and so on fucking sucks and is built on a hill of sand. All those warnings about unplugging, waiting 5 seconds, replugging, removing drivers, re-installing drivers, rebooting and power cycling. Ignoring things and not screwing around with other peripherals during firmware updates they signal to me that the whole software infrastructure is shit. But anyway, I'm ok with ignoring all that if it worked reliably.

USB device manager doesn't show any bad devices. There are no errors to chase. Just no video in the headset. Between it working, and not working, there was no physical issue like a pulled cable or anything physical that might explain why it works then it doesn't work.

The PC is a fresh HP Envy with fresh windows 10, nothing much is on it just steam and VR stuff. It doesn't show any instability outside VR in terms of desktop game glitches, heat, or hanging.

From this post
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4duqqg/red_hmd_light_upon_starting_steamvr_screen_stays/

suggests faulty 980ti could be the cause.
The headset link box is display port, to mini-dp. The TV is HDMI out.
but. If its a faulty 980ti it seems strange that it would be influenced by a reboot, and did it already then "fixed" itself.

Wollan

Could ultimately be a tired / semi-worn cable. I had the same problem and I was troubleshooting my Vive for two-three weeks in April (in this thread) before finally isolating the issue to the 3-in-1 cable itself. Often the LED remained green for as long as the HMD laid on the ground (with image showing, but then only occassionally) but it would 95% of the time when picked up drop out. Sometimes it would just work for an hour but then not for days.

I bought the recommended USB card...
I made sure the easily slipped out by one millimeter (HMD-to-box power cable) was taped into place...
I checked the power cycles of the wall sockets..
I checked Wifi interference...
BIOS... messed with USB drivers.... Valve troubleshooting together with admin support...

Ultimately I made HTC Support replace the 3-in-1 cable for me which permanently fixed everything.
The old one for some reason didn't have white rubber at the HMD end (only the yellow rubber on opposite end for box) but the new one did. Maybe they had boxed a old/semi-produced cable.

thanks, next time, I'll swap not just with the second headset, but the second link box.

After fiddling with the dp to mini-dp cable, un-plugging and replugging, it all started to work again. bad cable, static electricity? I don't know. Either way, perhaps if that thing isn't carrying the video signal correctly to the break out box, it seems the software gets wrecked but doesn't seem to state the issue in an error message? Maybe unplugging it woke up the 980ti or something.

Exuro

Has anyone taken images of headset screens with good clarity? I got a rift yesterday and it's a pretty bad model. It has a very red right screen and it has 20ish green pixels on the left screen scattered on the right side of it. Support wants me to take an image of the screen with the dead pixels but I'm having a hard time doing so. I've borrowed a dslr to see if I can get anything but I'm having trouble. I'm using a black background scene in Unity to make the dead pixels prominent but having issues seeing anything other than black with the camera.

Kind of annoying that I have to do this, but I can't use this with the issues it has.

thanks, next time, I'll swap not just with the second headset, but the second link box.

After fiddling with the dp to mini-dp cable, un-plugging and replugging, it all started to work again. bad cable, static electricity? I don't know. Either way, perhaps if that thing isn't carrying the video signal correctly to the break out box, it seems the software gets wrecked but doesn't seem to state the issue in an error message? Maybe unplugging it woke up the 980ti or something.

I had the same problem with my headset over DisplayPort and it seems to be a problem with either the DP to MiniDP cable not being made to spec, pin 20 is possibly connected and it's a bad thing? and/or an incompatibility with the GTX 10xx cards and the Vive via DisplayPort.

I have a better DP to MiniDP cable but won't try it until i hear about any news about GTX 10xx DP & Vive compatibility. I doubt that's your problem as you have a 980ti so i'd try to find/borrow a better cable to try with.

Has anyone taken images of headset screens with good clarity? I got a rift yesterday and it's a pretty bad model. It has a very red right screen and it has 20ish green pixels on the left screen scattered on the right side of it. Support wants me to take an image of the screen with the dead pixels but I'm having a hard time doing so. I've borrowed a dslr to see if I can get anything but I'm having trouble. I'm using a black background scene in Unity to make the dead pixels prominent but having issues seeing anything other than black with the camera.

Kind of annoying that I have to do this, but I can't use this with the issues it has.
That's some weak shit. You shouldn't be required to prove it's broken before they take it back.

Exuro

That's some weak shit. You shouldn't be required to prove it's broken before they take it back.
Yeah I know, and I'm wasting half a day trying to figure out if I can even get the shots with this dslr I have. Since then I've noticed even more problems with the headset. Hopefully I can just ask for an exchange/return.
It's pretty annoying trying to show this on a camera.

Yeah I know, and I'm wasting half a day trying to figure out if I can even get the shots with this dslr I have. Since then I've noticed even more problems with the headset. Hopefully I can just ask for an exchange/return.
It's pretty annoying trying to show this on a camera.
I'd say you were "above and beyond" at the 20-minute mark. Ask for a supervisor.

Exuro

I'd say you were "above and beyond" at the 20-minute mark. Ask for a supervisor.
Apparently not available on the weekend. In the meantime I got some help with dslr settings and got some decent concrete proof on how bad this is. This is a black scene I made in unity, comparison of both screens using the same camera settings.

Another question about vive and room scale, I have a room that's 2,07 meters by 3,30 (I guess about 6,5 feet by almost 10)
But in an article I read that "some games" demand more than this. My room is big enough for the minimum requirement set by valve and HTC,but have any of you ran into games that need bigger than the room I have?

Here's the article http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/htc-vive-vr-how-much-room-space-do-i-really-need-1558494

You're golden, that's plenty of space.

pj

Banned

I dunno if it's exactly the same thing, but a lot of vive owners (including me), had a lot of "stuck" green pixels early on.

A steamvr update was actually able to basically eliminate this problem for most people.

Edit: that picture is pretty bad

Exuro

I dunno if it's exactly the same thing, but a lot of vive owners (including me), had a lot of "stuck" green pixels early on.

A steamvr update was actually able to basically eliminate this problem for most people.
Yeah I have a vive and went through that. These seem like the same thing, but there are a ton more on the left screen.

Morty(that is his actual name!) messaged me back and they're gonna send me the spud tool to try out. Hopefully that helps it out, though don't see it fixing the constellation of dead pixels. It's pretty insane they consider this normal though.

The only game I wasn't able to play in my 2.3x2.1 room (before I moved) was Unseen Diplomacy. No matter what I tried, one of the buttons I needed to press to open a door would always be behind my real life wall. In my new space (3.4x3.2 or so), I get right up against my Chaperone bounds but I can still get through to what I am guessing is the end of it.

Exuro

Got my first successful shot of the dead pixels on my screen. Ignore the small solid colored pixels, as those are coming from the camera sensor.

http://i.imgur.com/A9vvuWt.jpg

This is a small part of the screen, and I'm trying to focus it better and get more at once. Hopefully this itself is enough to get an exchange/repair.

Edit: Alright got a jackpot picture. Check this out guys. Shows dead pixels in my left screen along with red tinting on the top of it on a black scene.

Wallach

Got my first successful shot of the dead pixels on my screen. Ignore the small solid colored pixels, as those are coming from the camera sensor.

http://i.imgur.com/A9vvuWt.jpg

This is a small part of the screen, and I'm trying to focus it better and get more at once. Hopefully this itself is enough to get an exchange/repair.

Edit: Alright got a jackpot picture. Check this out guys. Shows dead pixels in my left screen along with red tinting on the top of it on a black scene.

lol that whole screen is supposed to be black? jesus christ

my rift has a bit of the red tinting during black scenes but I can't really be arsed to RMA it when almost all of them seem to report having it

that amount of dead pixels though, nope, shit's fucked

Why is the PSVR—the cheapest of the "high end" devices and the one with the lowest system requirements—the only headset capable of displaying 120hz?

jmga

Why is the PSVR—the cheapest of the "high end" devices and the one with the lowest system requirements—the only headset capable of displaying 120hz?

Because 90fps as a mandatory requirement for games is too high for PS4 and the only way of having 60fps without making you sick is "reprojecting" to a multiple of 60..

Zalusithix

Panel choice - it's also the only 1080p single screen VR option. Beyond that, as mentioned, 120Hz is needed for PSVR as it needs to reproject 60Hz content. Computer based VR doesn't need 120Hz. It'd be a nice bonus, but not absolutely needed, as min spec can drive 90Hz native for all content.

It's academic anyhow. You wont see 120Hz content much in PSVR as the tradeoffs needed to reach that level of refresh rate are massive. You're much more likely to see 60 ->120 reprojected and 90Hz native content.

It's academic anyhow. You wont see 120Hz content much in PSVR as the tradeoffs needed to reach that level of refresh rate are massive. You're much more likely to see 60 ->120 reprojected and 90Hz native content.

This is kind of where I see the problem: can the PSVR actually do 90fps? It doesn't divide evenly.

It seems like they're essentially making it impossible for any dev to not use reprojection, unless they go for the full 120 frames.

It is exactly what PSVR also does.
Oh... okay, but then why do they need 120hz? They could 60 fps reprojected to 90, if it's all asynchronous.

jmga

This is kind of where I see the problem: can the PSVR actually do 90fps? It doesn't divide evenly.

It seems like they're essentially making it impossible for any dev to not use reprojection, unless they go for the full 120 frames.

Oh... okay, but then why do they need 120hz? They could 60 fps reprojected to 90, if it's all asynchronous.

Reprojecting from 60fps to 90fps causes microstuttering because time between frames is not constant.

And yes, PSVR display can work at both 90 and 120Hz.

BizzyBum

Does anyone get really tired after using their Oculus?

I've only used it twice so far, each time for a couple hours, and I end up having to stop because the headset starts hurting and I get a headache. Have to pop some Advil and then I end up falling asleep. Not like an hour nap either, I'm talking like 4-5 hours and then I still feel groggy after.

Zaptruder

Banned
Does anyone get really tired after using their Oculus?

I've only used it twice so far, each time for a couple hours, and I end up having to stop because the headset starts hurting and I get a headache. Have to pop some Advil and then I end up falling asleep. Not like an hour nap either, I'm talking like 4-5 hours and then I still feel groggy after.

Youre suffering from nausea induced by motion sickness. Recommend you stop using once you start feeling not quite right (which you can forget to do when immersed). Rest a few hours then go again. Youll build up your vr legs in a couple weeks of regular use and the degree if nausea experienced will reduce significantly until actual fatigue is a more significant issue than motion sickness.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
It sucks that the sensor for my rift wont work with my usb 3.0 slots I'm forced to use a usb 2.0 slot. The only way ive gotten the sensor to work with my 3.0 slots is to disable the usb controller in the device manager and when I enable it all of the fucking sudden the sensor finds the slots to be acceptable. Its such fucking bullshit and I cant be bothered to do that every time since it requires a restart so usb 2.0 it is I guess.

Top Bottom