• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Project cars looks stunning on the Rift. I dont even like Sim games on tracks (I prefer arcade handling in open worlds/cities etc) and I love this game on Rift, its stunning. I love that the external view works great which is my favorite view but of course if you are inside the car you get to see all the interior too. Once you see the cars in VR you wont want to go back. If you have a friend into cars, launch a quick race with his/her favorite car and let them see the internal and external view (external view, use right analog stick to rotate around the car to see all angles). Its just stunning.

I plan on getting Dirt Rally at some point but will wait for a cheaper price, given how many other games I have to play.

Also I recommend getting games that you are unsure about on steam versus Oculus store. I bought Project Cars gold on GMG with their 20% discount, but I dont think Steam refund policy covers third party key vendors (fortunately game looks amazing)

I plan on getting Euro truck simulator 2 (gold version on GMG with 20% discount) since that works on oculus rift too.

What graphics card do you have?
Thanks for the advice guys.

I have tried VR before (PS VR Getaway car shootout demo at EGX Rezzed). It's quite impressive and I've somehow not caved in and bought a Rift until now.

Ordered a Rift. Obviously getting Lucky's Tale, have Project CARS and DiRT Rally. I've also ordered Edge of Nowhere. Probably will try Chronos, too.

EVE Valyrie I've not heard great things, and it's like the most expensive game on the Oculus store.

I have a GTX 1080.

Can't wait for the Rift to arrive next week.

EVE Valyrie I've not heard great things, and it's like the most expensive game on the Oculus store.

Most of my VR time has been in Elite Dangerous. I decided to give EVE a go today for a few hours. Wanted to get to level 5 in order to unlock the Carrier Assault option. My impressions on the short amount of time I put into it.

Cons
- There is no thrust support. As someone that prefers to use a HOTAS for ED, while it's still very playable I was disappointed with this. You can still use thrust, but it's basically boost, normal speed or slow speed.
- The single player content is pretty much multiplayer with bots. Not a whole lot to seek your teeth into.
- Not sure the grind to unlock stuff is worth it. I did really good with the wraith, but couldn't get a single kill with the specter (think that's what it's called). Ship was hot garbage so I decided not to try the other support ship that I unlocked as I was having fun with the wraith.

Pros
- Very polished for what it does offer. You can definitely tell it was a game made from the ground up for VR and is a great show piece for what VR can offer. Demoing ED wouldn't work well given the complexity.
- The wraith can turn on a dime and really move. Makes chasing and being chased very visceral and truly immersive as you zip around and try and get the advantage against the opposing team.
- I had a lot of fun playing the multiplayer and especially the carrier assault which added some variety and objectives.

Overall, no regrets on the purchase. I definitely will play more of it. Although it won't dethrone ED as preferred Space flight game, they are both very different games that offer different experiences. The dog fighting in EVE is unlike any other that I tried and is fairly exciting if not very deep. Great arcade like game.

v0yce

I have a question about audio, specifically with PSVR.

I assume you have to wear headphones correct? If so, is there anyway to still get lfe through a sub while wearing the unit?

I'm worried that as cool as the visual experience will be its going to be a big step back from a proper surround sound setup.

iratA

I assume you have to wear headphones correct? If so, is there anyway to still get lfe through a sub while wearing the unit?

I'm worried that as cool as the visual experience will be its going to be a big step back from a proper surround sound setup.

Hahaha I came in here to post the same thing. There must be a way to use a surround setup with PSVR? Otherwise I'm going to need to find some headphones that are; light weight, comfortable for big a head and sound good. Comfort being the number one priority.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I want a VR Phoenix Wright, Zero Escape, or Danganronpa type game in VR so badly. Even a fairly straightforward and low budget remake would do.

VR really needs some good stories, and motion sickness isn't a problem since scene changes picked from a map is all the movement you need.

Any word on that Danganronpa VR thing? I know it's too much to hope for it to be a full game, but is at least the tech demo of that one class trial going to be available to the public?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I want a VR Phoenix Wright, Zero Escape, or Danganronpa type game in VR so badly. Even a fairly straightforward and low budget remake would do.

VR really needs some good stories, and motion sickness isn't a problem since scene changes picked from a map is all the movement you need.

Any word on that Danganronpa VR thing? I know it's too much to hope for it to be a full game, but is at least the tech demo of that one class trial going to be available to the public?

Phoenix Wright would be fantastic in VR lol. You wouldn't even have to move during the trial parts, and the adventure parts would be no problem with "beaming" from place to place.

I speaker setup won't be as immersive as headphones (as long as they're half way decent headphones). Even with a surround sound setup, it will still be reverberating around the room before it hits your ears. Regular stereo headphones will still be closer to the real thing because they'll emulate the way you'd actually hear more closely.

Planet

I wouldn't worry at all about the sound (with quality stereo ear plugs or head phones). Everyone reports the positional audio works wonders and plays a huge part in the immersion.

Bubba77

Well, Dirt Rally on the Rift is the shit.

So now I have a double-VR setup: seated experience on the Rift, everything else on Vive.

I must be doing something wrong. Keep seeing people say project cars and dirt rally look great in VR. But for me they look TERRIBLE. Blurry mess. Looks like bad 3d and if i move my head at all it messes up. I wish nvidia had a dirt rally vr profile maybe?

My setup is i7 6800k and dual gtx 1080s so horsepower isnt the problem.

Other games like eve and elite dangerous look wonderful. I really want dirt rally to look great! I ove playing it in 1440p. Is that the problem that Im too used to that?

Luck

What are the best games that showcase the accuracy of PS Move for PS3? Something like virtual hands or virtual move controllers / weapons on the screen that are pair 1:1 in 3D space with the real controllers? I would like to find out on my own how good (or bad) those controllers might be for PSVR. I really like demos that Sony was doing before retail release (like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRtF3qMucuA ) but I don't know if I can find something similar in PS Store.

Wallach

Looks like my VR lenses should get in tomorrow, so in the afternoon/evening I'll post some impressions for how they work on the Rift. I got a set of Vive lenses too, but I don't know yet when my Vive will get here. I'll comment on those after I get to try them whenever my Vive shows up.

cakefoo

What are the best games that showcase the accuracy of PS Move for PS3? Something like virtual hands or virtual move controllers / weapons on the screen that are pair 1:1 in 3D space with the real controllers? I would like to find out on my own how good (or bad) those controllers might be for PSVR. I really like demos that Sony was doing before retail release (like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRtF3qMucuA ) but I don't know if I can find something similar in PS Store.
Tumble and Sports Champions 1.

Augmented reality games like Start the Party are also a nice way to analyze the tracking accuracy.

You might also want to check out some pointer-based shooters, just to get an idea of the cursor drift issue. I don't know if they've resolved that for PSVR.

Planet

The pointer drift is not completely solvable, but it is manageable. There is video (sorry i don't have the URL right now) that shows the pointing accuracy is much better when the Move Controllers are in perpetual motion, when you hold them mostly still, they start to drift.

That is because the camera can only tell the 3D position of the glowing orb, not the orientation. That info needs to come from the gyroscope sensor. And those are not perfect, don't know if there are implementations that are vastly improved, but I guess the Vive and Oculus controllers have more identifying points than one for their tracking system to get orientation data.

With VR, there are more ways to counter this. Arm positions are limited by our skeleton, so this could be used instead of or assisting sensor measured orientation.

Phoenix Wright would be fantastic in VR lol. You wouldn't even have to move during the trial parts, and the adventure parts would be no problem with "beaming" from place to place.

Yeah, I said this elsewhere too, it would be amazing. I'd love to see them do it.

Any reason why Sony didn't go with a constellation around the orb instead of making it one huge light? Maybe something to do with the PS3 camera's resolution?

Leatherface

Do any of you use these headphones with Rift or Vive?

Qjo86Jb.jpg

I just bought a pair last week and I am having an issue that is driving me insane. I am trying to use dual audio so that when company is over the player can have audio in the headset as well as have it come out the main sound system speakers so others can listen to what is going on as well. I can get this to work with no issues on a wired headset but it will not work at ALL on these headphones. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks much. :'(

Zalusithix

Any reason why Sony didn't go with a constellation around the orb instead of making it one huge light? Maybe something to do with the PS3 camera's resolution?

Would have made it more complex to make, more complex to track, and been overkill for the intended purpose. The Move is very much adherent to the KISS principle. It works for what it was designed for without being more functionally complex than needed. The only problem is that what it was designed for was not VR. What were acceptable trade-offs back then aren't so much now.

Leatherface, that headset broadcasts the wireless audio via the dongle, right? Does it show up as an audio playback device? In the Steam VR settings, does it just not work when you set it to play via the dongle and duplicate audio to your speakers?

Would have made it more complex to make, more complex to track, and been overkill for the intended purpose. The Move is very much adherent to the KISS principle. It works for what it was designed for without being more functionally complex than needed. The only problem is that what it was designed for was not VR. What were acceptable trade-offs back then aren't so much now.

Makes sense.

Do any of you use these headphones with Rift or Vive?

Qjo86Jb.jpg

I just bought a pair last week and I am having an issue that is driving me insane. I am trying to use dual audio so that when company is over the player can have audio in the headset as well as have it come out the main sound system speakers so others can listen to what is going on as well. I can get this to work with no issues on a wired headset but it will not work at ALL on these headphones. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks much. :'(

I use them. If you're using SteamVR, go to the settings and switch the headset's audio to the wireless USB option that should be there when your headphones are on. Then make sure the mirrored output (it could be called something else, but I'm not at home right now to check) is set to your regular speakers.

Leatherface

Leatherface, that headset broadcasts the wireless audio via the dongle, right? Does it show up as an audio playback device? In the Steam VR settings, does it just not work when you set it to play via the dongle and duplicate audio to your speakers?

I feel like a jackass. Now that you brought that up, I didn't even know that setting existed. I must of missed it in all the places to adjust settings in Steam for VR stuff. I have been trying to get it to work via Windows(10), which is no issue at all with a wired headset (btw yes, my headset does use a USB dongle). On the windows side I see it but can not get it working. It is either one or the other. Weirdness.

I use them. If you're using SteamVR, go to the settings and switch the headset's audio to the wireless USB option that should be there when your headphones are on. Then make sure the mirrored output (it could be called something else, but I'm not at home right now to check) is set to your regular speakers.

Thank you guys. I totally missed this setting. Is this new or has it always been in Steam?

Wallach

Well, maybe scratch the VR lenses getting here today. I checked the tracking this morning and they were delivered today... to Canada. So either they sent me the wrong tracking number or they've fucked up my order pretty bad.

I feel like a jackass. Now that you brought that up, I didn't even know that setting existed. I must of missed it in all the places to adjust settings in Steam for VR stuff. I have been trying to get it to work via Windows(10), which is no issue at all with a wired headset (btw yes, my headset does use a USB dongle). On the windows side I see it but can not get it working. It is either one or the other. Weirdness.

Thank you guys. I totally missed this setting. Is this new or has it always been in Steam?
It has always been in SteamVR I believe.
Are there reasons to keep both, considering you can play dirt rally in the vive? Is the rift just that much better for seated games?
It is much more comfortable, but also I find the optics to be preferable in some situations. The "sweet spot" is better, I'd say.

Leatherface

It worked! omg thank you for this. I completely missed this setting and was WAY overthinking the solution. You just saved me from hours of complete frustration. lol.

Same to you Sleeping Lesson. Cheers. :)

dakun

It has always been in SteamVR I believe.

It is much more comfortable, but also I find the optics to be preferable in some situations. The "sweet spot" is better, I'd say.

can you explain what you mean by more comfortable? I'm getting my Vive today and other than having 2 base stations directed at you i didn't see anything that would suggest there is much of a difference. I just want to know what i can expect.

can you explain what you mean by more comfortable? I'm getting my Vive today and other than having 2 base stations directed at you i didn't see anything that would suggest there is much of a difference. I just want to know what i can expect.

I find the foam padding in the Vive to be very harsh. This is compounded by the fact that the headset requires the entire interface to be pressed against your face. For me (this isn't the case with everyone) the side straps dig into my ears. The Rift, in contrast, rests like a crown on your head. This results in a more balanced fit and means the interface doesn't press (or even touch) your face when fitted correctly.

Sky Chief

It's lighter and generally more ergonomic. That said, I find the Vive more comfortable because I wear glasses.

Are there reasons to keep both, considering you can play dirt rally in the vive? Is the rift just that much better for seated games?

The rift is just more plug and play. Better, it's plug and forget it: it just uses two cables: hdmi and usb. That's it. No breakout box, no AC adapter. It's smaller and lighter. And I might be seeing things, but it's easier to stay in the sweet spot.

Other than direct compatibility, I see no other reason to keep both, if one had to choose.

We dont know the long term implications of the controller designs yet. The rift touch controllers have an analog stick as standard (ie left and right hand analog sticks) and buttons, so you can replicate a controller by having it rest on your lap rather than holding the controllers up in the air (which I cant imagine being comfortable if playing a game for hours on end).

Chronos works amazingly well with a xbox one controller, and its a 15+ hour game. I cant imagine playing that with motions controls, so having the analog sticks and buttons that you use for Dark Souls type games is very useful for that use-case.

I also think a game could take advantage of both - have your hands rested for most of the play session as a controller, but then raise the hands for specific commands (like raise hand, point index finger at enemy and have the game make your partner attack that enemy).

So in the long run, for long games oculus may have the better controllers with touch since it combines best of both worlds. I'm thinking in depth action RPG type games (quite a few RPG's I have put 200+ hours into each).

This is speaking as someone who loves controllers and doesnt like touchpads. For PC mouse and keyboard players, Vive's touchpad may be the superior choice for them.

On the other hand, we know that Vive has 100% working room scale and controllers, and it looks like oculus touch (second camera, placed at rear of space) can do room scale but 1. lets see how well it does when finally released in the real world, and 2. it doesnt have the forward facing chaperone system. I dont see why they cant implement a fake wall showing when you reach the edge of your defined room space - but again, vive does all this now and rift may do at some point in the future but its not guaranteed. If you want room scale and have to room, vive seems an easy pick right now.

If I were single, could spend money how I wanted (and didnt have it drained by commitments) and could set up a room I would keep both sets. I'd set up a Vive right now for Vanishing Realms, Raw Data and the experiences (job simulator etc) and the rift for games that use a controller seated. People complain about oculus making their games exclusive, but they fronted the money for chronos to be made, edge of nowhere etc. If they keep doing this, I can see a growing library of must haves that would make me want to keep both systems. Chronos is incredible, if Chronos 2 came out on rift only I need a rift.

Wallach

Actually, I dunno what is goin' on with my tracking number but my VR lens lab KS order showed up today still with a set of both Rift and Vive lenses. I'll post some impressions a bit later today after I get done with work.

MaDKaT

Im probably reading your post wrong but it seems to imply that you are locked into using motion controls on the Vive. You can use a standard controller(wheel, hotas etcc..) for seated games. I use a DS4 for ones that need a controller. Many times I dont even turn on the motion controllers and just use the PS button to bring up the steam menu and navigate with the touch pad.

As for keeping both headsets. Pick whatever is comfortable and supports the games you want to play. For me, Revive makes both highly redundant, it would be a bit tougher to choose without. Two of the racing games I was wanting are so far only on Rift with nothing firm on a native Vive version.

Wallach

Messing with the lenses at lunch; the Rift version of the VR lenses have a pretty dubious fitting method. You kind of twist them in and they're supposed to be held by the tension of the top bit. They didn't seem to move around when wearing, but they're definitely not sitting in there great. May be an issue with long-term durability if the top piece holding that tension fails. Aside from that, they do seem to work as intended, though as I expected you get some pretty noticeable distortion on the outer edge compared to wearing contacts. I don't mind that as much but it may be a dealbreaker for some people.

Looking at the Vive lens adapters these should not have any kind of fit issues since the tension holding those in is coming from the entire facial interface. They will however also likely have the same distortion on the lens edge.

I'll probably be using them unless the edge distortion causes any additional issues with motion sickness.

Leatherface

We dont know the long term implications of the controller designs yet. The rift touch controllers have an analog stick as standard (ie left and right hand analog sticks) and buttons, so you can replicate a controller by having it rest on your lap rather than holding the controllers up in the air (which I cant imagine being comfortable if playing a game for hours on end).

Chronos works amazingly well with a xbox one controller, and its a 15+ hour game. I cant imagine playing that with motions controls, so having the analog sticks and buttons that you use for Dark Souls type games is very useful for that use-case.

I also think a game could take advantage of both - have your hands rested for most of the play session as a controller, but then raise the hands for specific commands (like raise hand, point index finger at enemy and have the game make your partner attack that enemy).

So in the long run, for long games oculus may have the better controllers with touch since it combines best of both worlds. I'm thinking in depth action RPG type games (quite a few RPG's I have put 200+ hours into each).

This is speaking as someone who loves controllers and doesnt like touchpads. For PC mouse and keyboard players, Vive's touchpad may be the superior choice for them.

On the other hand, we know that Vive has 100% working room scale and controllers, and it looks like oculus touch (second camera, placed at rear of space) can do room scale but 1. lets see how well it does when finally released in the real world, and 2. it doesnt have the forward facing chaperone system. I dont see why they cant implement a fake wall showing when you reach the edge of your defined room space - but again, vive does all this now and rift may do at some point in the future but its not guaranteed. If you want room scale and have to room, vive seems an easy pick right now.

If I were single, could spend money how I wanted (and didnt have it drained by commitments) and could set up a room I would keep both sets. I'd set up a Vive right now for Vanishing Realms, Raw Data and the experiences (job simulator etc) and the rift for games that use a controller seated. People complain about oculus making their games exclusive, but they fronted the money for chronos to be made, edge of nowhere etc. If they keep doing this, I can see a growing library of must haves that would make me want to keep both systems. Chronos is incredible, if Chronos 2 came out on rift only I need a rift.

I use my PS4 controller for seated games VR just fine on Vive and can also use an Xbox one as well if I wanted. Why is this counted as a negative? I think the thing to consider for anyone really interested is this. The Vive is designed from day 1 to take advantage of room scale VR. To me this is an absolute game changer because it is AWESOME. It is not an add-on or an optional upgrade. It is included right from the start and designed around the feature, which means a lot of devs have the option right away to immediately take advantage of it. It also means 100% of the user-base has the option to take advantage of it with out buying additional hardware.

To me, this is a critical point in deciding what you want out of VR. If you just want a sitting experience and don't care about interacting as much, then by all means save your money and grab a Rift. However, if you want these features and think you will enjoy them, do not get the system that is tacking it on as an add-on. Get the system built around it.

owning both systems seems unnecessary to me.

Im probably reading your post wrong but it seems to imply that you are locked into using motion controls on the Vive. You can use a standard controller(wheel, hotas etcc..) for seated games. I use a DS4 for ones that need a controller. Many times I dont even turn on the motion controllers and just use the PS button to bring up the steam menu and navigate with the touch pad.

Oh definitely in the short run, I'm thinking longer term like years down the road. I am talking about games like Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 that are enormous games you can play 100+ hours - how to design the game to work with VR controls. This likely wont happen for years if at all since there needs to be a market big enough to be worth it, though RE VII is a great step forward in that regard (fully playable in VR).

I cant imagine playing a VR game with motion controls with hands in the air for say 6 hours straight. Thats why I am saying perhaps a mixed approach is best, so you can play with the controls in your lap for comfort then just raise your hands when you want specific commands like sending a unit to a location, make team mate attack an enemy that kind of thing. Not a binary choice of the entire game is VR controls or entire game is using a xbox style controller.

I use my PS4 controller for seated games VR just fine on Vive and can also use an Xbox one as well if I wanted. Why is this counted as a negative? I think the thing to consider for anyone really interested is this. The Vive is designed from day 1 to take advantage of room scale VR. To me this is an absolute game changer because it is AWESOME. It is not an add-on or an optional upgrade. It is included right from the start and designed around the feature, which means a lot of devs have the option right away to immediately take advantage of it. It also means 100% of the user-base has the option to take advantage of it with out buying additional hardware.

To me, this is a critical point in deciding what you want out of VR. If you just want a sitting experience and don't care about interacting as much, then by all means save your money and grab a Rift. However, if you want these features and think you will enjoy them, do not get the system that is tacking it on as an add-on. Get the system built around it.

owning both systems seems unnecessary to me.

I like both, I dont think its binary. If I play a game for 6 hours straight then I wont want to play its entirety standing using motion but perhaps some parts it makes sense and other parts not. Or a mix, like raise hands for controlling minions/partners.

So as an example. imagine playing a new dragon age. Can sit down while exploring the town, talking to boring people or teammates, exploring an area out off combat etc. Then if a difficult battle starts, stand up and start using the motion controls and doing stuff like giving orders to party members. That kind of thing, something where you could play for like 20 hours over a weekend, have cool VR experiences but also not be so tiring you need constant breaks.

Right now, VR is so new it is binary. Its going to be a long time before we get games for VR that arent short experiences (or longer games like chronos funded by a VR company)

Leatherface

I can't even imagine playing VR for 6 hours straight. I think I'd have a headache for a week. lol. Also, there is nothing wrong with liking both, however, what does Rift give you as far as experience that Vive doesn't?

I can't even imagine playing VR for 6 hours straight. I think I'd have a headache for a week. lol. Also, there is nothing wrong with liking both, however, what does Rift give you as far as experience that Vive doesn't?

Yeah the importance of long play sessions is important for chronos since its a long game. Plus Vorpx lets me play dragon age and that is a huge game, starting from scratch.

I spent months deciding on Vive vs Rift, wasnt an easy choice. If I had a room to set up room scale, it would likely be Vive. I dont though.

For Rift

Headset is lighter and every review mentioned comfort being better than Vive, being 20% heavier and front heavy due to sensors.
Built in headsets, which for me is a big plus.
Exclusives - Chronos in particular (yes you can use vive right now, who knows if they reinforce restrictions if they can gain a dominant market share down the road) Also insomniac games. Edge of Nowhere is incredible too.
Touch controllers look more ergonomic, have finger tracking for thumb, primary and adjacent finger for gestures, pointing, pinch.
Controllers use analog sticks (which I personally prefer to touchpads) and have buttons so you can have xbox controller style controls without losing the ability to have motion controls at will during the game.
Room scale tracking possible with second camera so its not a permanent disadvantage.

Vive
Controllers and room scale tracking right now (estimate for Rift is Q4 2016) and we know they work 100%.
Headset is 20% heavier than rift but has forward camera and chaperone system, and 37 or so headset sensors for flawless room tracking withoiut occlusion issues. - Seems an obvious choice if you want flawless room scale tracking
Controllers have flawless 1:1 tracking (resolution superior to Rift)
Controlls have touchpad which could be superior input for mouse & keyboard users vs analog sticks
Excellent controller grip implementation (Rift touch supposedly easier to accidentally trigger)
Instant availability of groundbreaking full immersion VR games taking advantage of room scale and controllers - vanshing realms & raw data for example

Aside from that, they do seem to work as intended, though as I expected you get some pretty noticeable distortion on the outer edge compared to wearing contacts. I don't mind that as much but it may be a dealbreaker for some people.

Mind explaining this in more detail? How bad is it and why does it happen?

Tain

ATW, greater comfort. If I'm playing a seated game, I'll prefer it mainly for those reasons.

I'd like to think that when Touch is out and more and more people realize that there's very little functional difference between these VR packages it'll be a way less dominant subject in VR discussion.

Top Bottom