• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

adeptusminor

Neo Member
I went to the Oculus store just now realizing it has been a few weeks since I have even touched my Rift, and then I was reminded there was that First Person Shooter coming out, but I no longer see anything about it on the Oculus site and for the life of me I cannot remember the name?
One had to warp from spot to spot, it had a pretty clear Halo influence with the weapons, etc., and the gameplay video I saw of it you were in what was like a ditch with enemies spawning all around you?
Anyone know the game I am talking about? It is driving me nuts.

Also since I am in the thread, any good new releases overall people recommend?

Are you thinking of Damaged Core?

Tain

Guys.

I'm concerned.

Today, my Rift sensor has had a problem. It keeps connecting and disconnecting randomly and I have no idea why.

Take a look at Windows Event Log

VfLtSS5.png

I just turned on my PC today to that same issue.

adeptusminor

Neo Member
I tried that too. Didn't work. This hasn't started happening until yesterday.

The final thing I can think of trying is going into Device Manager then under "Oculus VR Devices" right-click on Rift sensor - > Properties and in the Power Management tab uncheck "Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power."

The final thing I can think of trying is going into Device Manager then under "Oculus VR Devices" right-click on Rift sensor - > Properties and in the Power Management tab uncheck "Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power."

Tried that before.

Edit: I just tried doing the repair a second time. This time I had the sensor bar attached while running it. So far... it may have worked. I'll be keeping an eye on it though.

Guys.

I'm concerned.

Today, my Rift sensor has had a problem. It keeps connecting and disconnecting randomly and I have no idea why.

Take a look at Windows Event Log

VfLtSS5.png

I had the same issue, saw on Reddit to disable the WIFI card if already using Ethernet cable. Did it and it works perfectly now

adeptusminor

Neo Member
I think this did it for me, but I also question my old motherboard's USB support.

I've had it happen even with the recommended Inatek USB expansion card. I have heard that if all else fails you can use USB2 for the sensor and it works just fine. Oculus said it degrades tracking but a couple people on reddit didn't notice or couldn't tell that it did.

Bubba77

I finally put the time into starting up elite dangerous with my Oculus/hotas. My god its the best thing Ive played in VR and its not close. Little things like landing your ship are super fun. Got about 15 hours of the game in including tuturiols. Loving it.

I finally put the time into starting up elite dangerous with my Oculus/hotas. My god its the best thing Ive played in VR and its not close. Little things like landing your ship are super fun. Got about 15 hours of the game in including tuturiols. Loving it.

Yup, most played VR game for me, but it's a toss up for immersion between Elite with hotas and pcars with racing wheel/seat setup.

Soooo good.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Elite Dangerous in VR with hotas and voiceattack is awesome. Keeping up with the story and taking part in missions and wars that shape the systems is a lot of fun.

Vive users can also use the ovroverlay app to put things like Netflix in the cockpit. I've watched 2 seasons of Bojack and Stranger Things while doing some long range expoloring.

Starviper

Elite Dangerous in VR with hotas and voiceattack is awesome. Keeping up with the story and taking part in missions and wars that shape the systems is a lot of fun.

Vive users can also use the ovroverlay app to put things like Netflix in the cockpit. I've watched 2 seasons of Bojack and Stranger Things while doing some long range expoloring.

Wait WHAT? That overlay feature sounds awesome. I really need a good joystick setup to get into Elite with a headset, though i've heard a 360 controller isn't too bad. Suppose I could splurge on an Elite controller for more buttons.. Hmm.

Chris_C

That sounds incredible. All I need is a bridge crew, some shag carpeting an it's the Hilton in space.

I ended up going with a PSVR as I'm holding out for a Vive 2.0, but I wish there was an Elite style game for the system. There were rumors and whispers that No Man's Sky might support PSVR, but that now seems unlikely.

elyetis

With my 1080 I gave a new try to elite in vr, with a render target at 1.3 seems the result is pretty good. Overlay app is fun even if the inability to interact with it is a pretty big limitation.

Biggest problem I have with Elite in VR is that they reaaally need to fixe the galaxy map mouse controle in VR.

Maligna

Banned
The thing I'm excited for most in VR is experiences where you can see your body. Does anyone have a list of titles that allow this? The only one I know of is EVE Valkyrie.

I just think floating hands and no body below your neck are lame and kind of counter intuitive to VR's goal of full immersion.

The thing I'm excited for most in VR is experiences where you can see your body. Does anyone have a list of titles that allow this? The only one I know of is EVE Valkyrie.

I just think floating hands and no body below your neck are lame and kind of counter intuitive to VR's goal of full immersion.

Have you actually tried this, though?

While I agree with you that a visible tracked body would be more immersive, I actually find that visible "fake" bodies ruin my immersion, because they're never in the right place!

While I agree with you that a visible tracked body would be more immersive, I actually find that visible "fake" bodies ruin my immersion, because they're never in the right place.

I agree. Even seated games like Elite that have a visible body just feel weird.

Maligna

Banned

While I agree with you that a visible tracked body would be more immersive, I actually find that visible "fake" bodies ruin my immersion, because they're never in the right place.

We gotta get better at tracking bodies then!

Granted, no I haven't tried any VR beyond cardboard, but I thought I heard that EVE tracks your body if you move your head. Like the torso turns where it should etc.

Granted, no I haven't tried any VR beyond cardboard, but I thought I heard that EVE tracks your body if you move your head. Like the torso turns where it should etc.

It doesn't "track" your body, it uses reverse kinematics to guess what your body might be doing. It's not great.

No, it doesn't. There has been some pretty good advances made on people being able to predict your body's position with the limited data they have, but the problem is the limited data. They can only extrapolate from the three points (your head, and the two controllers) and guess based on their relation to each other which means it will never be perfect, and very often it will be just straight up wonky. Nothing is tracked below your waist for example so legs are always going to be off unless you're standing still. Until we get more tracking points (or come up with another system), this will always be the case.

Can someone tell me why so many of these VR games are hella expensive? 50 bucks for The Climb? Project Cars $50?

I want to try out so many games but they are all super expensive.

Zalusithix

Booo. My ideal VR is still a ways off then. I want full escapism. I want to be someone else while I'm in VR.

I think you're too worried about seeing your body. There's a number of reasons to want a tracked torso/arms/legs/whatever, but visual immersion isn't high up on that list. It's entirely possible to completely ignore that there are no arms going to the hands/devices you're using.

The main benefit of additional tracking points is increasing the accuracy of interaction. Tracking the torso, for instance, would allow you to get a reading on where the body is actually facing as opposed to where we're looking. This would allow artificial locomotion techniques that aren't possible right now. It would also allow interaction points on the torso (such as pockets, holsters, etc) that remain in a consistent location as opposed to right now where the locations are estimated and can move in coordinate space as your head does even if your body is still.

Booo. My ideal VR is still a ways off then. I want full escapism. I want to be someone else while I'm in VR.

You still do! You said you haven't tried any VR other than cardboard... Go to the Microsoft store or something.

The lack of a body is really not something I notice at all. It's amazing how much the visible controllers just start to feel like my hands. I do wish I had feet but it's never immersion breaking.

On my Vive, the things that break my immersion the most are seeing the chaperone/teleporting, being able to walk through objects, and the lack of touch beyond my controller's (impressively capable but still limited) haptic feedback. Not being able to see my torso is VERY far down the list. And even then, it's really darn immersive!

vermadas

Can someone tell me why so many of these VR games are hella expensive? 50 bucks for The Climb? Project Cars $50?

Relatively small market. And the market that is there presumably has deeper pockets than the average gamer, considering the cost of entry to VR right now.

Dirt Rally keeps getting updated with VR support, but no Vive compatibility. Can we just assume that Codemasters made some sort of exclusivity deal with Oculus? This is a bit ridiculous. They can't say there isn't demand either, there is a 50 page thread in Steam Discussions.

Er, Project Cars is a full on racing simulator. Not a VR experiment/mini game.

Dirt Rally keeps getting updated with VR support, but no Vive compatibility. Can we just assume that Codemasters made some sort of exclusivity deal with Oculus? This is a bit ridiculous. They can't say there isn't demand either, there is a 50 page thread in Steam Discussions.

Just use ReVive.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

You can doownload the app from Git here: OpenVRDesktopDisplayPortal

It is pretty straight forward to setup but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

With my 1080 I gave a new try to elite in vr, with a render target at 1.3 seems the result is pretty good. Overlay app is fun even if the inability to interact with it is a pretty big limitation.

Biggest problem I have with Elite in VR is that they reaaally need to fixe the galaxy map mouse controle in VR.

I'm running a 1080. Elite set to Ultra. In-game SS set to .65 and SteamVR SS set to 1.8. That is my sweet spot. I do occasionally hit reprojection in some stations but as I spend most of my time out of stations, I'm not too bothered for the few minutes I am docked.

Maligna

Banned
I guess basically what I'm saying is I want to live in the world of Ready Player One. How long before we are there? Haha. In the book I believe it takes place in the 2040s.

Sorry, I won't. No time for shenanigans. I don't think that is an excuse for Codemasters either.

...because, why? It's a piece of software that's easy to set up, works really well, and will completely solve your problem.

Like, I get that you don't like Oculus, but at the end of the day, isn't being able to play all that really matters?

"Sorry, I won't. No time for shenanigans. I don't think that is an excuse for Codemasters either."

In the time its taken you to make these two posts, you could have downloaded the 700kb zip file, extracted it, and been off playing Dirt Rally in VR.

You most definitely "have time."

elyetis

In-game SS set to .65 and SteamVR SS set to 1.8. That is my sweet spot.
It's not the first time I read about lowering ingame SS below 1 but I don't really get how it make sense. Is it to get a more precise oversampling ? Like with your setup don't you simply end up with a 1.17 SS ?

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
It's not the first time I read about lowering ingame SS below 1 but I don't really get how it make sense. Is it to get a more precise oversampling ? Like with your setup don't you simply end up with a 1.17 SS ?

The Vive still has some bugs with ED and the in-game SS so you are better off (at least to my eyes) throwing your GPU horsepower at the SteamVR SS.

Regarding the Rift, I did see an interesting post on the FD forums regarding this. See the images below:

Zalusithix

For one it allows more fine tuned SS levels, and IIRC the downsampling from SteamVR is the superior option visually. Basically with in game SS above 1, the image gets downsampled to the default render target, and then gets downsampled again by SteamVR to the panel resolution. Compare that to <=1 in game SS combined with a >1 render target multiplier where the image only sees one downsample by SteamVR to panel res.

I had the same issue, saw on Reddit to disable the WIFI card if already using Ethernet cable. Did it and it works perfectly now

When I did the repair yesterday it seemingly fixed it.

However it started doung it again today.

This sucks. I don't know how to un plug my wifi card.

Steam VR Theatre doesnt seem to be working for me (using Oculus Rift). The theatre screen is just pitch black. Is there a setting I have to use?

Ubisoft's VR games have been dated:

Eagle Flight

• Oculus Rift – October 18
  • PlayStation VR – November 8
  • HTC Vive – December 20
Eagle Flight, developed by FunHouse, a division of Ubisoft Montreal, sends players to the skies of Paris where as an eagle they will soar over the historic city and its iconic landmarks. Playable in single player and in the heart-pumping multiplayer “Capture the Prey” mode, players will feel the true sensation and exhilaration of flight.

Star Trek: Bridge Crew

• Oculus Rift, PlayStation VR, and HTC Vive – November 29
Ascend to the stars, where no one has gone before in virtual reality, with Star Trek: Bridge Crew. Developed by Red Storm Entertainment, players will be beamed right into the action of a Starfleet ship as a member of the Federation, exploring space with a crew or solo as Captain. Star Trek™: Bridge Crew was designed exclusively for VR, capitalizing on the powerful sense of social presence possible through virtual reality.

Werewolves Within

• All Major VR Platforms – December 6
Players will be transported to the medieval village of Gallowston in Werewolves Within, a game of social deduction that brings the competitive fun of game night with friends to virtual reality. Developed by Red Storm Entertainment, a Ubisoft Studio, uncover the werewolves that have been terrorizing the townsfolk through fast-paced games with five to eight players. No two games are the same–one round you could be a villager, pleading your case for innocence, and the next round you could be a werewolf, lying your way to a win.

Trackmania Turbo VR Patch

• PlayStation VR – November 8
Virtual reality will also be introduced into the arcade-racing universe of TrackMania Turbo. Thanks to a free patch, players will be able to enjoy the game on PlayStation VR beginning November 8.[/url]

via Gematsu

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
my HTC vive will arrive next week. (will get Rift and PSVR in thef uture) is there a VR game recommendation thread?

Is there any benefits to having both VR headsets? I'm gonna get the Vive but I currently have the rift now. Part of me wants to use both for two different experiences and since both have different controls I figured it made sense.

Is there any benefits to having both VR headsets? I'm gonna get the Vive but I currently have the rift now. Part of me wants to use both for two different experiences and since both have different controls I figured it made sense.

I use my Rift for seated/cockpit games like DCS and Elite. I use the Vive for everything else. If the Vive were as comfortable as the Rift I would only need the one.

Top Bottom