• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Paganmoon

So i was at best buy tonight and the PSVR kiosk /Demo Was empty.

It was very underwhelming, I have this pre-ordered but will now cancel.

The display does not look good, That ruins the entire experience.

There is no way to adjust it? It looked very soft and just bad.

I know i cannot be the only who thinks this.

You didn't adjust the HMD and are complaining about the display looking soft?
The first time I put on the PSVR HMD, the picture was indeed very soft, the person at EGX guided me on how to adjust it and the picture was clear. Did the person at the kiosk not help you with this, or was there literally no one there, and you just went over and put on the HMD?

You didn't adjust the HMD and are complaining about the display looking soft?
The first time I put on the PSVR HMD, the picture was indeed very soft, the person at EGX guided me on how to adjust it and the picture was clear. Did the person at the kiosk not help you with this, or was there literally no one there, and you just went over and put on the HMD?

The person working the kiosk assured me that there was no way to adjust the HMD.

He may not have known what he was talking about.

I would hope the PS4 Pro makes it better, though not very optimistic since the resolution is not going to change on HMD.

artsi

The fact is that the displays are low resolution with not-so-good optics in all the 1st gen HMD's, no amount of adjustment will fix that and some people are more sensitive to it than others.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The fact is that the displays are low resolution with not-so-good optics in all the 1st gen HMD's, no amount of adjustment will fix that and some people are more sensitive to it than others.

There is a substantial difference between a non-adjusted and adjusted PSVR headset.

If the optics aren't focused, it will look absolutely awful.

The person running the kiosk didn't know what they were talking about.

Yes, but as shown by Vive updates on games, downsampling/aa and other clever use of software can make a big difference.

Paganmoon

The person working the kiosk assured me that there was no way to adjust the HMD.

I would hope the PS4 Pro makes it better, though not very optimistic since the resolution is not going to change on HMD.

3mXCMMb.jpg

That button on the left, on the underside of the HMD, you press that and can adjust the HMD. When it wasn't adjusted for me, the picture was blurry as hell. So next time, press that and move the HMD towards your face (or away from it), and see if you get a clearer display.

Bookoo

That's kind of a bummer, but you might be right :(

I just really would like to play some VR now, because after finally playing a demo of PSVR a few times, I actually think it's cool, and would love to play some more games like that. I wasn't quite sold on VR until I experienced it myself.

I have both headsets and sort of disagree. Roomscale is neat, but it is in it's super early stages. So far my favorite experiences have been on Oculus and they are with more traditional style games with VR.

Everyone talks about how Oculus wasn't ready with Touch, but I feel without content it would have been a little pointless to release the hardware. That is why Vive to me feels a little rushed because of the type of content you are seeing on it. A lot of the content is early access or demos. There is some fun things on it, but most of the games make roomscale feel a bit like a novelty after a short while.

Bookoo

I went to Best Buy the other day to try PS VR and thought it looked fine when compared to Rift or Vive although I didn't try a game I had a reference to. I am thinking about going bak and trying Eve Valkyrie since I have a reference point. The guy there didn't seem to know what he was talking about after listening to him talk to other people for a couple minutes.

PSVR was crazy comfortable more so than the Rift and I checked out Super Hyper Cube which seemed awesome. Hoping it will come to other platforms.

Finally got to try out PSVR at Best Buy. I've had a Vive and Rift since launch, so I was super curious to see how it stacks up.

It was instantly obvious that the resolution was lower. It looked perfectly acceptable, but clearly inferior to Vive and the Rift. Colors looked great though!

While it's definitely more comfortable than the Vive, it's still not ideal. Anything beyond looking in a 180-degree arc directly in front of me made it feel like it could fall off. And I tightened that sucker down.

Seems like a great product though, I think PS4 folks are going to love it. I'll stick to the Vive, myself.

I have both the Vive and Oculus Rift and I disagree. Room-scale is great but it's not the end all be all of VR. Especially if you play any cockpit games like driving sims or Elite Dangerous etc.

Also, Oculus can do room-scale to a large degree already and certainly will be able to when touch releases giving you a second camera.

Its DEFINITELY worth it even without room scale. I was surprised how well damaged core works as a FPS without touch controllers (so no room scale, X1 controller), because I had assumed a good FPS would require the touch.

And if you want to play a game like Chronos for 15 hours, you want to be seated comfortably and over a long period to hardly move your head either.

OTOH room scale is absolutely ideal for highly active games & fitness usage - and great games are a cool way to get fit because the game is the motivation. Looking forward to Raw Data for example but I wouldn't play that for hours at a time like I would an RPG.

Just because the most complete immersion is gained from room scale with controllers doesnt mean that without them awesome experiences arent possible too. My mother visited awhile back and at the time I only had a Gear VR which was $99 device, she was just AMAZED by it - constantly saying WOW literally over and over again.

I actually think the killer app for VR will be cheap cameras that let people record their experiences that can be viewed in VR. Prices are dropping rapidly.

Am I the only one who flat out doesn't get a sense of presence from seated third person games? Lucky's Tale and similar make me feel like I'm using a really, really huge screen. Like an IMAX dome theater except with worse video quality.

Bookoo

Am I the only one who flat out doesn't get a sense of presence from seated third person games? Lucky's Tale and similar make me feel like I'm using a really, really huge screen. Like an IMAX dome theater except with worse video quality.

I don't think you are necessary supposed to get presence in 3rd person seat games. I feel like it's more than simply being in an IMAX dome though.

I wasn't a huge Lucky's Tale fan mostly because it's an overly simple kiddy platform, but I am a huge fan of Chronos and Edge of Nowhere. I felt like those games really made 3rd person VR shine. Granted they are simpler games and they aren't as technical complex as a Dark Souls, Uncharted, or Tomb Raider, but I felt they show the promise of 3rd person VR. I think it is a good way of dealing with motion sickness, easing people into VR, and doesn't have some of the draw backs we currently see with standing VR.

Chronos has sections where it shifts your perspective into first person mode, but it is mostly just to look around or a simple 1 button interaction with a control panel. I kept expecting it to be used more, but it never was. With touch they could have this deep action RPG game and then have sequences that require more physical interaction (sort of like Wilson's Heart except you aren't teleporting from point to point). I think it would be neat to see it all blended together to allow for a deeper game experience.

Its very dependant on the game. I think Chronos is incredible, Edge of Nowhere is pretty good, Damaged Core is excellent (though its FPS)

Lucky's tale has the camera far back and gives that impression of observing like you say versus being inside the world. I was not impressed with Lucky's Tale. I think Mervils does a better job with its camera system.even though the game is clearly very low budget in comparison (given its $10 thats quite reasonable).

Almost the opposite, sometimes I get more presence from third person, especially playing games on DolphinVR, though that may be due more to how the 3d effect pops there compared to native titles. Booted up RE4 on it a few weeks ago and was stunned how immersed I felt, ditto for something a lot more lo-fi (Eternal Darkness). Here's hoping Sony considers reworking some classics for psvr, I'd snatch those up in a heartbeat. SoTC would be something else.

Are we thinking that the HTC Vive will get yearly upgrades? I'm thinking about jumping aboard the VR train but I'm not really in any hurry, especially if there's a new version around the corner (like early 2017 or something).

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I doubt so, at least not in early 2017. They are still setting up the infrastructures for the vive ecosystem; such as releasing viveport, introducing and rolling vive out in more countries, making partnerships etc.

Its only available on amazon for US yesterday, 5 months after its launch. I feel like they are taking their times to do things properly and not rushing here, so I doubt we will see anything until late next year at the earliest

Zalusithix

At best I expect a one year refresh with improved ergonomics / form factor. Perhaps accompanied by a price drop. I don't expect a true second gen set with improved hardware until around the 2 year mark.

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking more of a refresh than a true Vive 2.0, but it sounds like we've only got speculation at this point either way. I'm going to wait out the end of the year and see what happens.

Clydebink

Neo Member
Project Cars has been barely playable for me due to simulation sickness. Turns out the game is significantly more comfortable for me now that I've set the steering-sensitivity down very low (around 15-20). I can't do donuts or nothin, but it made a huge difference for me.

Cornbread78

Maybe one of you guys can help...

I bought a Galaxy Note 5 and today is the last day to download the free software from the Oculus app. for the Gear VR. However, I can't find the right app..

Any thoughts?

Zalusithix

Looks like Owlchemy Labs has come up with another method to do mixed reality. Uses a stereo camera for image + depth capture and then properly inserts the person into the rendered scene directly.

Wallach

My plan for awhile has been to have all three major headsets this year, and now that I'm through the most expensive bits I'm considering bailing out of the cheapest one.

This bothers me more than I expected. They have some really great games ready to go at launch. I can't shake the feeling there's going to be a big clusterfuck of people getting sick, and Sony doesn't seem like the company to stick by a product getting any serious heat.

Wallach

Just as a heads up, today's GeForce 373.06 drivers have the following patch note for W10:

Improved the framerate consistency of the Release 370 drivers in VR games and applications.

Haven't checked yet to see if there are any known issues with these new drivers, but that is a good patch note to read.

Been saving some money each month for the past few months and getting real close to pulling the trigger on a Vive. I just wish I could try it out and then it would easily cement my decision. I tried the PSVR at an event last week and it was awesome but the games didn't look as good as I'd have liked but I'm assuming PCVR wouldn't really have that issue.

Edit: I'm in the UK so we're getting pretty fucked over for price on the Vive right now. Is £789 the best price for it here?

Crispy75

Been saving some money each month for the past few months and getting real close to pulling the trigger on a Vive. I just wish I could try it out and then it would easily cement my decision. I tried the PSVR at an event last week and it was awesome but the games didn't look as good as I'd have liked but I'm assuming PCVR wouldn't really have that issue.

Edit: I'm in the UK so we're getting pretty fucked over for price on the Vive right now. Is £789 the best price for it here?

£759 at Scan

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/nda...adset-2-wireless-controllers-movement-sensors

Don't buy direct from HTC. Delivery and customer support are awful by all reports

iceatcs

If the screen image that you are not happy with then PCVR won't much different, it may be slightly clearer but still pixels and blurry to non-VR view.

Zalusithix

I tried the PSVR at an event last week and it was awesome but the games didn't look as good as I'd have liked but I'm assuming PCVR wouldn't really have that issue.

Depends what you mean here. From a pure display standpoint, the systems are rather close. PCs have more horsepower to dedicate to supersampling and AA to get higher IQ from those displays, but you're still dealing with a very noticeable pixel density deficit when compared to a TV/monitor.

It's hard to explain but the PSVR had kind of like a translucent effect. It kind of looked like early 3DS 3D in games. I can get over it for a more open solution like Vive though. I also felt like the tracking wasn't very good in the short time I played PSVR which I believe isn't much of an issue with the Vive.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Brexit bumped the price by a lot. You could buy mine if you want. Split the difference between whatever CEX will give me and what the retail price is.

Zalusithix

It's hard to explain but the PSVR had kind of like a translucent effect. It kind of looked like early 3DS 3D in games. I can get over it for a more open solution like Vive though. I also felt like the tracking wasn't very good in the short time I played PSVR which I believe isn't much of an issue with the Vive.

Hmm, not sure how to take translucent. Given the 3DS comparison, are you referring to a shimmering aliasing effect? A high end PC can reduce that or damn near eliminate it with enough SS/AA, but the power required for elimination can be extreme depending on the game and renderer.

Tracking on the Vive headset is extremely stable and accurate so long as you don't have reflective surfaces around causing it to freak out. I've only lost headset tracking when obscuring it with my hands. The controllers are comparatively more prone to tracking issues, though instances of that aren't common (can go hours with nary a hiccup) and generally easy to reset by waving your hand above your head. When they are tracking properly, they're stable with very little jitter.

Septimius

I recently made this thread to get a sense of what some impressive room scale games are. While I most definitely would like to play some of those games if I had room scale, I don't really care about it. It's not where VR pays of, as I wrote in the thread. It seems kind of stitched together, like a Wii Sports game. Wii Sports was fun, and I played it for a good sum of hours, but it's not why I got a Wii.

I think I'll be getting a Rift. Perhaps I'll get some second hand Touch after a while, I don't really know. They look really nice, and as I said, I'm not turned off by the concept of room scale. It's just that it feels gimmicky with the room scale games I see today. Elite Dangerous, DCS World.. I think those kind of games are the games that matter to me. They are proper games, they have the depth, and adding VR to them gives so much.

Really want to try this out. No support for the Rift yet?

Oculus announced they'll have it at Connect 3, but I have no idea when.

jaypah

I recently made this thread to get a sense of what some impressive room scale games are. While I most definitely would like to play some of those games if I had room scale, I don't really care about it. It's not where VR pays of, as I wrote in the thread. It seems kind of stitched together, like a Wii Sports game. Wii Sports was fun, and I played it for a good sum of hours, but it's not why I got a Wii.

I think I'll be getting a Rift. Perhaps I'll get some second hand Touch after a while, I don't really know. They look really nice, and as I said, I'm not turned off by the concept of room scale. It's just that it feels gimmicky with the room scale games I see today. Elite Dangerous, DCS World.. I think those kind of games are the games that matter to me. They are proper games, they have the depth, and adding VR to them gives so much.

Oculus announced they'll have it at Connect 3, but I have no idea when.

I couldn't give up roomscale but there's no wrong answer. I've had a lot of fun with seated stuff as well. Just buy whatever you like, it'll all be a gimmick to someone.

Septimius

I couldn't give up roomscale but there's no wrong answer. I've had a lot of fun with seated stuff as well. Just buy whatever you like, it'll all be a gimmick to someone.

That's very true. I am very open to the room scale stuff, but I just wish there were some better solutions to some problems. I'm extremely excited to enter into the VR-world nontheless, so it's all good!

jaypah

That's very true. I am very open to the room scale stuff, but I just wish there were some better solutions to some problems. I'm extremely excited to enter into the VR-world nontheless, so it's all good!

From glancing at your other thread it seems that you haven't been able to try roomscale to get an idea of what it's like, which is unfortunate. As with VR in general it makes a lot more sense once you try it. It feels so much less restricted compared to seated VR. Even standing 360 games are a breath of fresh air. Keep in mind though that I had a DK2 Rift (and GearVR) for over a year before I got my Vive in April so I was more than ready to leave the chair and walk around these worlds by that point.

Bookoo

From glancing at your other thread it seems that you haven't been able to try roomscale to get an idea of what it's like, which is unfortunate. As with VR in general it makes a lot more sense once you try it. It feels so much less restricted compared to seated VR. Even standing 360 games are a breath of fresh air. Keep in mind though that I had a DK2 Rift (and GearVR) for over a year before I got my Vive in April so I was more than ready to leave the chair and walk around these worlds by that point.

Roomcale is neat, but right now it just feels really early since devs are still figuring out how to use. It seems like 360 tracking is the most important thing to have right now and 2 cameras will be good enough to do that and some roomscale. (I guess it depends on room size)

Here is a video of the Fantastic Contraption dev demonstrating 2 camera roomscale back in April. The room he is walking around in it pretty good sized play space.

Zalusithix

Unfortunately it's going to take another couple of months (assuming Oculus doesn't screw up) before we have anybody but us Vive folk understanding the implications of 360/roomscale. PSVR folks will get a taste of tracked controllers before the Rifters do which gets them closer to what we have, but they won't have 360/roomscale. In the end we'll have had 7 months of talking about stuff that nobody else can truly grasp. It's kind of lonely. =P

ChrisG683

My personal opinion is that VR is not VR without Roomscale.

I'm a sucker and I've jumped on quite a few technologies as an early adopter (120 fps monitors, 3D Vision, 3D Vision 2, G-Sync, Sound Blaster X-Fi, etc.), but VR I was always hesitant on, never jumped on the Oculus hype train.

I was not interested at all in VR until I saw the Vive + Roomscale and demo'd it, and it completely changed my mind and I instantly pre-ordered it.

I have played some seated / non-roomscale VR games and it looks really cool, but without being able to interact with the environment it's just not worth it to me. The increased immersion is not worth the downgrade from 1440p + 144 Hz + ReShade + G-Sync + No lense issues, when I'm not able to interact with the world.

Part of it is that my setup is also not geared for seated experiences, my lighthouses are in another room away from my computer, so I don't have easy access to M/KB in seated VR.

Not to mention the fatigue endured from wearing VR, I can game much longer on a regular monitor than with a VR headset, so if I'm going to do seated gaming I'll use what's most comfortable for me.

I realize this doesn't apply to everyone and some people prefer seated VR, to each their own. To me without being able to interact with your environment though it isn't truly VR, just a fancy monitor. Maybe I'm weird, but I actually kind of prefer 3D Vision over seated VR, as the image quality is just so much higher, such a shame the tech is pretty much dead these days. I was really hoping the VR surge would improve 3D support for games, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just as a heads up, today's GeForce 373.06 drivers have the following patch note for W10:

Haven't checked yet to see if there are any known issues with these new drivers, but that is a good patch note to read.

I think those drivers also are related to the new Spacewarp thing Oculus just announced, a couple people in the Oculus threads mentioned trying it out with their dev kits and how it seems to be only on NVIDIA cards.

I agree that Room-Scale is the big differentiator, though I think just regular-ass VR, like the VR we were promised in the 90's being here. Working 100%. Is pretty damn cool too.

Things like IQ will improve over time, but I can understand why fancy display/tech is preferred for now. A good seated/cockpit game will still be good in 5-10 years. I don't necessarily need Room-Scale for my race/space sim, you know? Unless it is more of a Star Trek, walk around the bridge/commanding, sort of deal.

Monger

I'm a sucker and I've jumped on quite a few technologies as an early adopter (120 fps monitors, 3D Vision, 3D Vision 2, G-Sync, Sound Blaster X-Fi, etc.), but VR I was always hesitant on, never jumped on the Oculus hype train.

I was not interested at all in VR until I saw the Vive + Roomscale and demo'd it, and it completely changed my mind and I instantly pre-ordered it.

I have played some seated / non-roomscale VR games and it looks really cool, but without being able to interact with the environment it's just not worth it to me. The increased immersion is not worth the downgrade from 1440p + 144 Hz + ReShade + G-Sync + No lense issues, when I'm not able to interact with the world.

Part of it is that my setup is also not geared for seated experiences, my lighthouses are in another room away from my computer, so I don't have easy access to M/KB in seated VR.

Not to mention the fatigue endured from wearing VR, I can game much longer on a regular monitor than with a VR headset, so if I'm going to do seated gaming I'll use what's most comfortable for me.

I realize this doesn't apply to everyone and some people prefer seated VR, to each their own. To me without being able to interact with your environment though it isn't truly VR, just a fancy monitor. Maybe I'm weird, but I actually kind of prefer 3D Vision over seated VR, as the image quality is just so much higher, such a shame the tech is pretty much dead these days. I was really hoping the VR surge would improve 3D support for games, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I have the OR dev kits, but I haven't played a single seated VR game since getting the Vive at launch. I just can't find an excuse to bother.

I'd much rather play a seated game on my tv or projector than with a headset on.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

I would argue a good driving or flight sim in VR with a good high end wheel or HOTAS setup is easily as compelling and immersive as roomscale VR. Especially if you have the crazy bucks to afford a motion rig. There's no way I would prefer even a really high end triple monitor setup for that than using a VR headset.

Top Bottom