• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Mikeside

Really? It's all over the Vive previews from this month.

My understanding is that they've updated the white room a few times since press started getting their Pre's. I would expect them to add way more features to it over time, including adding actual objects and such.

Yeah, the stuff in that preview regarding white room definitely doesn't spark my interest like Oculus Home does, but like you say, they're probably adding a lot on to it.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Personally, I'm getting :

vive - for roomscale experiences
psvr - for software

I think I'll just sell my rift, not really finding the upcoming rift software super compelling or do I have a lot of faith in them coming up with a pure CV approach to roomscale that doesn't have tracking issues.

Take that article with a big grain of salt
Should we take the developer of Lucky's Tale, a bundled Oculus launch title, with a grain of salt too when he confirms the issue is happening?

Or does our grain of salt about the article as a whole assume the author is blatantly lying about the developer's words in regards to their game?

artsi

Take that article with a big grain of salt

Yeah, I just finished the Tested video and they didn't mention any of this, I think they would have if it was actually common to lose tracking.

Should we take the developer of Lucky's Tale, a bundled Oculus launch title, with a grain of salt too when he confirms the issue is happening?

Or does our grain of salt about the article as a whole assume the author is blatantly lying about the developer's words in regards to their game?

Well they said that they had encountered the problem at some point, but could not reproduce it, doesn't imply that it's usual.

Zalusithix

Yeah, I just finished the Tested video and they didn't mention any of this, I think they would have if it was actually common to lose tracking.

It would be easier to deal with if it was common. Troubleshooting uncommon intermittent issues that you can't reproduce is a pain in the ass.

Soi-Fong

I'm not surprised with the Rift issues as my boss who tried out Touch at Connect 2 said to me that he lost tracking many times with the Touch and the headset during his demo.

Told me it was way different than the Vive we have at the studio which we never lose tracking at all.

Even that Toybox demo they had, you're not "allowed" to actually walk around the area.

There's a reason why Palmer has been a bit hesitant to talk about room-scale since they'll really have to improve they're tracking solution.

Launch Lineup Oculus:

ADR1FT
Adventure Time
AirMech: Command
Albino Lullaby
Audio Arena
Project CARS
Chronos
Darknet
Dead Secret
Defense Grid 2
Dreadhalls
Elite Dangerous
Esper 2
EVE Valkyrie Founder’s Pack
Fly to KUMA
EVE Gunjack
Herobound SC
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Lucky’s Tale
Omega Agent
Radial G
Rooms
Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR
Smashing the Battle
Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Vektron Revenge
VR Tennis Online
Pinball FX2 VR
Blaze Rush
Windlands

Nzyme32

He briefly mentions nausea for some of the games about 2 minutes in, still watching the video though

Yea...they seemed to only like 5 games and a possible (CARS).

I'm really surprised about the nausea issues. I mistakenly assumed that these issues had been largely resolved through best practices that have been in the works since 2013. But here we are in 2016 at launch and launch titles that I was looking forward to eventually playing are making people sick.

Well...as long as E:D doesn't fuck me up I'll be okay on launch day. I might have to chill a bit on the rest. I think I'm a bit sensitive to motion sickness (sitting in the back seat of cars sometimes makes me feel sick) so I'm definitely worried here. I haven't heard a lot about motion sickness as it relates to Vive games, but a lot of the OR games being talked about are also on the Vive. I'll have to keep my eyes open. Fortunately Steam actually has a return policy...

So Vive is the best one?

We don't know yet. Ask again in the 2nd week of April.

I'm not surprised with the Rift issues as my boss who tried out Touch at Connect 2 said to me that he lost tracking many times with the Touch and the headset during his demo.

Told me it was way different than the Vive we have at the studio which we never lose tracking at all.

Even that Toybox demo they had, you're not "allowed" to actually walk around the area.

There's a reason why Palmer has been a bit hesitant to talk about room-scale since they'll really have to improve they're tracking solution.

I fully expect Gen 2 Rifts to have Lighthouse-like setups and have said so in the past. It's a superior approach from a team that built their device from the ground up to support room scale VR and it's an inevitable move, IMO. The only question is whether they can be made to be backwards compatible with Gen 1 Rifts so that early adopters don't feel like shit.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
how many of you are getting a PSVR and one of the PC VR systems? I'm thinking PSVR will be good for exclusives and as a living room VR for everyone to enjoy. I just hope the OR/Vive difference isn't so great that I avoid using PSVR. lots of positive impressions from demos, but living with both alongside each other for some time might amplify the differences

I wasn't very impressed with PSVR and subjectively the screen door effect was more bothersome compared to Rift. I played Eve Valkyrie on both to make the comparison. PSVR headset is heavier too.

I'm more torn between Vive and Rift. Keep both or 1?

Between VIVE and RIFT, which will have potential for more practical (or even innovative) uses outside of gaming?

In theory, could either platform have me visit the Louvre from my living space someday?

Yes. Both can do it. Either someone would rebuild the Louvre or there will be 360 Videos.

Zalusithix

I fully expect Gen 2 Rifts to have Lighthouse-like setups and have said so in the past. It's a superior approach from a team that built their device from the ground up to support room scale VR and it's an inevitable move, IMO. The only question is whether they can be made to be backwards compatible with Gen 1 Rifts so that early adopters don't feel like shit.
I'm not sure what you mean by backwards compatible. Regardless of the implementation, they should be able to be abstracted to the same backend and work on the same games.

If you mean using OG Rift hardware in a new lighthouse tracking system... Not going to happen. Or more accurately simply can't happen. The new hardware could be made to work with the old Rift camera based tracking in addition to lighthouse based, but that would add needless complication.

Cimarron

Between VIVE and RIFT, which will have potential for more practical (or even innovative) uses outside of gaming?

In theory, could either platform have me visit the Louvre from my living space someday?

At present Vive is the best option. With room scale you could actually walking around in the exhibit rooms.

Anyone knows what will happen with Games that have a VR mode added?

Like I wanna buy Adr1ft on Steam, I already have DG2 and Ethan Carter. Will those have the VR mode when I buy them on Steam.
Afaik I only know that if you buy Adr1ft on Steam, you will get an Oculus key if you can prove you have an Oculus.

Not sure about the other 2.

If you mean using OG Rift hardware in a new lighthouse tracking system... Not going to happen. Or more accurately simply can't happen. The new hardware could be made to work with the old Rift camera based tracking in addition to lighthouse based, but that would add needless complication.

Yea that's what I meant. And you never know what kind of adapters they can come up with. Let me offer some hope for the Rift owners, damnit!

Both will do. I would assume that the Vive will be prepared for such things sooner than the Rift, however. More open platform, touch controllers in the box. But who knows. Either way, I'm sure both will be reasonably supported for non-entertainment applications.

viveks86

Anyone knows what will happen with Games that have a VR mode added?

Like I wanna buy Adr1ft on Steam, I already have DG2 and Ethan Carter. Will those have the VR mode when I buy them on Steam.
Afaik I only know that if you buy Adr1ft on Steam, you will get an Oculus key if you can prove you have an Oculus.

Not sure about the other 2.

I know for a fact that ethan carter is a separate game and will have to be purchased separately. Don't know about DG2.

I know for a fact that ethan carter is a separate game and will have to be purchased separately. Don't know about DG2.

This is totally stupid. I mean didnt Ethan Carter even have a VR mode when it was re-released last Septmeber but it was pulled with a patch?

Damn...

pj

Banned
Yea that's what I meant. And you never know what kind of adapters they can come up with. Let me offer some hope for the Rift owners, damnit!

It can't happen because the lighthouse system is essentially the opposite of the constellation system.

Oculus devices (headset, touch controllers) emit light which is detected by the camera.

Lighthouses emit light which is detected by the vive headset/controllers.

You cant use an oculus with a lighthouse system because there would be two things emitting light with nothing detecting it.

It can't happen because the lighthouse system is essentially the opposite of the constellation system.

Oculus devices (headset, touch controllers) emit light which is detected by the camera.

Lighthouses emit light which is detected by the vive headset/controllers.

You cant use an oculus with a lighthouse system because there would be two things emitting light with nothing detecting it.

Yea I know the approaches are different. which is why I mentioned maybe adapters of some kind. Idunno. Party poopers.

I'm guessing these games will be separate from the Steam version which will absolutely suck...

Just wonder why... (I mean I kinda get it, but I dont want to pay for the same game again just to get VR features. Would maybe pay for some kind of DLC, but not the whole game again...)

I mean the old Oculus SDK games are also playabale on Steam with the DK2...

They are, but you can use the Rift headset with Steam, so it doesn't really matter

Just wonder why... (I mean I kinda get it, but I dont want to pay for the same game again just to get VR features. Would maybe pay for some kind of DLC, but not the whole game again...)

I mean the old Oculus SDK games are also playabale on Steam with the DK2...

Oculus makes their money from software sales, hence why they have their own store with store-exclusive versions. You can use a Rift with Steam, but that does not mean they want you to buy stuff through there. In fact, it's clear that they do not.

viveks86

Given that steam vr will support the rift, would it be possible to play steam vr games with the Rift headset and Vive controllers, assuming we have both tracking systems installed?

I might consider this in case the rift felt better, since I'd be owning both

Oculus makes their money from software sales, hence why they have their own store with store-exclusive versions. You can use a Rift with Steam, but that does not mean they want you to buy stuff through there. In fact, it's clear that they do not.

I understand that. The thing is, that people might already have Game ABC on Steam (like Ethan Carter or Adr1ft), then if they want to enjoy it in VR, have to buy the same game again, which is stupid if you are a customer.

Like I said. I would gladly pay a few bucks for a VR DLC, but not buy the whole game again to just enjoy it in VR.

My launch lineup so far.

Lucky's Tale (Because they are giving it to me)
Eve: (Actually looking forward to this)
Elite: Dangerous (I am looking forward to trying this in VR
Project Cars (Can't wait)
Dirty Rally (I believe this should work right away off of Steam)
Adr1ft (I am really excited about this one)

And Maybe Chronos

Out of all of that I only actually have to pay for Adr1ft and Chronos as I own the rest already. This launch lineup is just fine for me. That's a solid list of titles. Then there is all the other stuff I want to do with VR that is non-gaming.

Will playing Xbox One games in cinema be supported at launch?

Edit: Curious about Tennis as well.

Zalusithix

You could theoretically slap a sensor shell around the headset, but you'd have no place to plug it into. (No aux ports that I'm aware of.) It would also add weight and make it far less comfortable. There's nothing you could do to make the touch controllers work. It's unfortunate, but if the Oculus camp changes their tracking system, it'll make the original hardware completely obsolete. IMO they should have switched to the lighthouse setup when they had the chance.

pj

Banned
Given that steam vr will support the rift, would it be possible to play steam vr games with the Rift headset and Vive controllers, assuming we have both tracking systems installed?

I might consider this in case the rift felt better, since I'd be owning both

I doubt it. For the vive at least, the controllers connect wirelessly to the headset, not the computer. I imagine the same is true of the rift. Oculus would have add support to its headset for connecting to the controllers and relaying their inputs.

Also I have read that the tracking systems interfere with each other so you cannot have both running in the same space. Though I don't know how extensively that was tested.

What's more likely and should be pretty trivial (barring any patent issues..) is HTC (or someone else) releasing touch shaped vive controllers, and oculus releasing vive shaped touch controllers.

CdrieVcUIAAJEZe.jpg:orig

https://twitter.com/SteamVR/status/710128905923878912

Zalusithix

Also I have read that the tracking systems interfere with each other so you cannot have both running in the same space. Though I don't know how extensively that was tested.
Interference is almost a given - particularly with the setup he mentioned. I highly doubt the Oculus camera is going to like having lighthouses constantly flashing and swiping IR beams across its view. Meanwhile the Vive controllers probably wouldn't appreciate the IR light being emitted from the HMD. It sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Top Bottom