• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

The Vive has a bigger FOV, a much bigger and precise tracking area with less oclussion, and the chaperone system, it's certainly the highest end headset

Bigger FOV isn't quite as clear cut as you'd think, and it doesn't make a headset higher end in and of itself. It's supposedly got a higher *vertical* FOV which is important for room scale so you can see things on the ground nearer you feet that you might want to pick up or walk around. The Rift I thought had the higher horizontal FOV.

Either way you're stretching the same number of pixels out infront of each eye. From my experiences with Gear VR, higher FOV but lower pixel density and higher screen door (comparing an 1440p 5 inch S6, to a 1440p 5.7 inch Note 5) are actually pretty much a wash compared to slightly lower FOV with increased pixel density and reduced screen door.

Everything I've heard has Oculus's *headset* being a teeny bit nicer. Slightly better optics, slightly more comfortable, slightly better build quality.

But that stuff is certainly matter of opinion.

Chaperone works with any Steam VR compatible headset including the Rift (though only the Vive currently has a passthrough camera which will be an improvement over the standard chaperone system.)

Where it's unquestionably better is that it comes with two really good motion controllers and a fantastic tracking system that is better suited for room scale than anything else we know of.

That's what your extra $200 bucks go to... because the headsets themselves are very close in quality, and like I say if anything Oculus have a slight advantage there based on what I've heard... but such impressions are going to vary person to person.

You want room scale? Don't hesitate to buy the Vive.

You aren't sure about room scale (as a thing, or you don't have the space for it)? Get the Rift.

Both have their advantages. Even touch is going to have some advantages over Vive's motion controllers... but we don't know where they're going to be priced, so if I was looking for room scale I'd not wait for touch and would buy a Vive.

I'm getting a free Rift, and I can't really afford anything else right now... as much as I'd love to have pre-ordered a PSVR today. I'm also really unsure if I have the space for room scale... so what Oculus are doing is a better fit. I know I'll be able to play most touch games, and I also know I'll be able to use a second sensor and the touch controllers to try out steam VR room scale stuff to see if it works in my house or not.

I also like the thought that buying a Rift gets you Oculus's self funded exclusives, without preventing you from buying Steam VR stuff. Sure, I'll have to wait for touch for most Steam VR stuff, and sure, it's not necessarily going to work as well as the Vive...

But even if I got a Vive I don't know what room scale stuff I'd be able to actually do in my space.

I've only got about a two meter square to work with, and keeping in mind that the space you need also needs to include how far your arms can reach... I'm skeptical that it's enough space to really do anything interesting with.

enoughspacecrq7p.jpg

newsguy

Assuming you dial down settings enough, sure. Some games (like Elite Dangerous) can require more than a 970 with higher quality settings. That said, I'm not sure a 980 is worth it with the next gen cards looming ever nearer.

Yeah. I was told that if I got a bundle, it would be best to get the cheapest one and upgrade to a 980ti in the future when Pascal drops the current prices.

Yeah. I was told that if I got a bundle, it would be best to get the cheapest one and upgrade to a 980ti in the future when Pascal drops the current prices.

I can see the logic in that. And you'll be good to go for the Oculus launch titles, so that 970 won't hold you back while you're waiting.

Mindlog

I'm now sketching out an optimal setup for a room because my DIY senses were activated.
Trying to figure out whether coiling the cable was feasible brought me to this similar Reddit about ceiling mounted Vive cables. Obviously it would create a tug on the headset if you went direct, but I would attach to a belt loop first. That creates a problem when turning around quickly with the cord extended. Would I want to create an arm to make sure the cable stays on my back as it snakes back up and avoids becoming tangled with anything?

Apparently someone has already done that.

The general gist seems to be that ceiling mounted cables can create more problems than they solve.

I'm now sketching out an optimal setup for a room because my DIY senses were activated.
Trying to figure out whether coiling the cable was feasible brought me to this similar Reddit about ceiling mounted Vive cables. Obviously it would create a tug on the headset if you went direct, but I would attach to a belt loop first. That creates a problem when turning around quickly with the cord extended. Would I want to create an arm to make sure the cable stays on my back as it snakes back up and avoids becoming tangled with anything?

Apparently someone has already done that.

The general gist seems to be that ceiling mounted cables can create more problems than they solve.
Cable running down your back seems like the best solution, and you'll reportedly develop a cable sense.

Zalusithix

It's a lot of work for a solution with its own set of drawbacks. Solving those new ones requires exponentially more work still. The sensible solution is just to try VR for a reasonable amount of time without anything fancy and see how much of a problem the cable really is. Then formulate your plans (or lack thereof) from there.

This is assuming you're more interested in the actual VR than the building of hardware solutions. For those that like to tinker with things for the hell of it, there is no clear answer. ;)

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Still having second thoughts about my vive preorder. I just can't help but feel letdown by the software line up right now.

Mindlog

@plagiarize Yeah, I'm seeing that pretty consistently.
It's a lot of work for a solution with its own set of drawbacks. Solving those new ones requires exponentially more work still. The sensible solution is just to try VR for a reasonable amount of time without anything fancy and see how much of a problem the cable really is. Then formulate your plans (or lack thereof) from there.

This is assuming you're more interested in the actual VR than the building of hardware solutions. For those that like to tinker with things for the hell of it, there is no clear answer. ;)
I'm laughing :]

Zalusithix

Still having second thoughts about my vive preorder. I just can't help but feel letdown by the software line up right now.

You might as well cancel if you're not looking forward to any of the content. It's not like you wont be able to pick one up later down the road. I'm not sure why you'd preorder one in the first place if you weren't convinced by something you knew was coming out. That's just asking for buyers remorse IMO.

I'm so excited about Zen Pinball 2 FX VR BOOGALOO.

I've just been watching Tested's impressions on it, and since I can't justify buying real tables, having the absolute next best thing is incredibly exciting, and hopefully Pinball Arcade isn't far behind (they've announced support).

I played the Pinball Arcade VR mod, and despite it's limitations it was absolutely the best way to play digital pinball I've experienced. Being able to lean in on a split level table like Black Knight 2000 pushed my scores higher than they'd been on a flat screen.

Wallach

I've just been watching Tested's impressions on it, and since I can't justify buying real tables, having the absolute next best thing is incredibly exciting, and hopefully Pinball Arcade isn't far behind (they've announced support).

I played the Pinball Arcade VR mod, and despite it's limitations it was absolutely the best way to play digital pinball I've experienced. Being able to lean in on a split level table like Black Knight 2000 pushed my scores higher than they'd been on a flat screen.

Yeah I'm probably going to jump on that myself. I'm actually kind of surprised how many of the Rift launch titles I'm thinking of picking up. It's going to be an expensive year.

Yeah I'm probably going to jump on that myself. I'm actually kind of surprised how many of the Rift launch titles I'm thinking of picking up. It's going to be an expensive year.

I've got no money right now. It's a pain. If I can scrape together $15 Zen Pinball is what it gets spent on. Damn mortgage application and closing costs. If I can scrape together more... probably Ethan Carter after that. We'll have to see.

I'm going to put together a priority list. I was hoping that Oculus home would be cross buy... but I figure they'd have already announced that if it was. Since I already own Keep Talking, Dreadhalls, Darknet, Dead Secret, Herobound Spirit Champion and Eve Gunjack. But what're you going to do eh?

edit: Apparently that might be a thing actually... looking for confirmation. Some sites reported it in January. Reportedly it's up to the developer. I'll keep my fingers crossed. All of those look like pretty straight ports.

Zalusithix

Standing/roomscale VR + mockup pinball table end hardwired to a controller. Should be extremely convincing I'd imagine.

Guys/Gals, please help. I have a PC that's more than capable of running VR, but for reasons unknown to me (I have a few actually), I'm being drawn to PSVR. Talk some sense into me lol.

I can't talk you out of it because from my experience it's a great headset.

I'm actually starting to consider canceling Rift since the PC HMDs, more likely than not, will iterate faster. Maybe wait for a better version.

PSVR will remain the same for the length of the console cycle so I won't have to worry about upgrading.

I can't talk you out of it because from my experience it's a great headset.

I'm actually starting to consider canceling Rift since the PC HMDs, more likely than not, will iterate faster. Maybe wait for a better version.

PSVR will remain the same for the length of the console cycle so I won't have to worry about upgrading.

I'm more interested in PSVR than the Vive. That Sony software support is a big deal.

viveks86

Agree with every word in here

Cartman86

Banned
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/03/epic-looks-outside-of-gaming

Might not seem related to VR but what is being described in this story really is. Massive changes are happening between industries. Lines and definitions of mediums are going to be blured very quickly. Curious how gamers will handle it. Will video game become a dirty and exclusive word devoted to games with fail states or will we finally embrace the limitless interactive world going forward? Companies like Epic and Unity recognize it. I don't think consumers will. I don't just mean close minded hardcore gamers either. If Gone Home was released in 2018 on an HTC Vive 2 it might actually be known as something other than a video game. Which I think is a shame.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't see how they would if the cable is going to be above your head at all times. If you use a retractable cable system. That would take a little more work though.

1) It won't always be above your head unless you stand still. Move away from the central point and the cable will be at an angle

2) you may well wave your arms around above your head - throwing a paper aeroplane in job simulator could be enough

3) a retractable cable will always have some tension pulling in the headset. I can imagine it feeling weird at best, uncomfortable and affecting the headsets position and therefore your image at worst - it'll be tugging upwards trying to remove your headset every time you move

I just don't see it being practical. On top of that we have plenty of comments that leaving it dangling is fine

Paganmoon

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/03/epic-looks-outside-of-gaming

Might not seem related to VR but what is being described in this story really is. Massive changes are happening between industries. Lines and definitions of mediums are going to be blured very quickly. Curious how gamers will handle it. Will video game become a dirty and exclusive word devoted to games with fail states or will we finally embrace the limitless interactive world going forward? Companies like Epic and Unity recognize it. I don't think consumers will. I don't just mean close minded hardcore gamers either. If Gone Home was released in 2018 on an HTC Vive 2 it might actually be known as something other than a video game. Which I think is a shame.

There has to be a video of this somewhere, I need to see this presentation.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
plagiarize said:
Everything I've heard has Oculus's *headset* being a teeny bit nicer. Slightly better optics, slightly more comfortable, slightly better build quality.

This is the crux of it for me, when it comes down to which to keep. How slightly is 'slightly'?

All else being equal I'd go for vive for more features. But if OR is more comfortable to wear, and better audio, and better optics, that obviously becomes a trickier decision. Software I think is a wash - they'll both get most of the same games eventually.

Vive 1 will never get better optics or comfort. OR will get motion controllers and might get room scale tracking, but those arstechnica comments and Nate's re-emphasis on forward facing cameras in his interview with tested give me pause on that

Too many what ifs

Kevin

Why is Valve only supporting the HTC Vive? I thought they were originally helping Oculus early on. Why not support both platforms?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm getting a free Rift, and I can't really afford anything else right now... as much as I'd love to have pre-ordered a PSVR today. I'm also really unsure if I have the space for room scale... so what Oculus are doing is a better fit. I know I'll be able to play most touch games, and I also know I'll be able to use a second sensor and the touch controllers to try out steam VR room scale stuff to see if it works in my house or not.

I've only got about a two meter square to work with, and keeping in mind that the space you need also needs to include how far your arms can reach... I'm skeptical that it's enough space to really do anything interesting with.

That's enough space to enjoy small room scale I think. Even standing with the motion controllers should be amazing.

As for cost - my approach is this (also getting a free rift). if you can temporarily afford the cost of the vive, buy one and try them both out. Maybe room scale is magical and you can't not have it. Maybe the rift headset is noticeably better for you. Those will be difficult things to judge from third party impressions

Then when you've had a few days with them, you can return the vive, or sell the vive/OR and probably not be out of pocket - I would guess you'd be able to sell your early OR and cover the price of the vive by selking to someone that doesn't want to wait until July for their rift.

Nekorin

Neo Member
Am being torn between getting PSVR or Oculus.

How does PSVR compared to Oculus DK2? Both are 960x1080 per eye means can see the "pixels" while wearing them?

Can anyone who's tried a Vive Pre comment on the actual sharpness of the screen? I know SDE and visible pixels can be visible to a certain extent, but does the actual image look quite sharp or is it blurry?

This is the crux of it for me, when it comes down to which to keep. How slightly is 'slightly'?

All else being equal I'd go for vive for more features. But if OR is more comfortable to wear, and better audio, and better optics, that obviously becomes a trickier decision. Software I think is a wash - they'll both get most of the same games eventually.

Vive 1 will never get better optics or comfort. OR will get motion controllers and might get room scale tracking, but those arstechnica comments and Nate's re-emphasis on forward facing cameras in his interview with tested give me pause on that

Too many what ifs

The other "what if" is what if there's a dearth of room scale experiences because of how few people, even some with a Vive, will be able to properly use them?
I think the emphasis on front facing for Touch is a recognition of that. I'm expecting standing with a relatively small movement area around that is going to be the standard for non-seated experiences.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why is Valve only supporting the HTC Vive? I thought they were originally helping Oculus early on. Why not support both platforms?

They do. Games on steam will work with OR if the developers choose it. Their chaperone system works with the rift (when oculus own software doesn't have one)

Mikeside

Steam supports the Rift, but I can't see Valve helping specifically Oculus much anymore since Facebook and all the exclusivity stuff.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The other "what if" is what if there's a dearth of room scale experiences because of how few people, even some with a Vive, will be able to properly use them?
I think the emphasis on front facing for Touch is a recognition of that. I'm expecting standing with a relatively small movement area around that is going to be the standard for non-seated experiences.

Which is fine but why restrict unless you have limitations? some games like job simulator are already having to be updated to take into account a front facing setup. Others may require 360 degree support. So I think knowing what oculus touch will be capable of is important.

I do think most 'room scale' will actually be 'standing in front of your PC desk and spinning around' because including your arm span that still needs a decent amount of space. And designing for PSVR will require a front facing approach. So pragmatically the oculus touch approach might be fine. But 'fine' is a tricky proposition if you have 'great' as an alternative

For me personally I expect to *play* way more games sitting down - space&race is my bag. But even just those few room scale demos and games are already very appealing.

Durante

Is it even possible to create a hanging system that can have enough slack to allow the user to walk around, lower when they crouch or lay down, stay behind their back so it doesn't get in the way of swinging and aiming hands? My understanding is that this is very difficult without a software and rails solution. I pretty much gave up after a lot of thought.
I think if you get a spring-loaded system with the right resistance (like e.g. the retracting dog leash idea) it should fulfill those requirements.

How much money can we spend on this? =P

Seriously, ever since the idea came to me this morning, the concept of a ceiling suspended cable butler has me thinking it'd be the solution to room scale VR with an extremely high budget.

Take a couple rails and run them parallel along the ceiling of the room. Mount a rail perpendicular to them attached to gantries on those rails. Attach another gantry to that rail. Have those gantries powered by some appropriately sized NEMA motors, timing belts and large timing pulleys. Essentially a room scale 3D printer without a Z axis. Accuracy doesn't matter in this case. As long as it can move within a target inch or so it's fine. Speed on the other hand is of the essence as it would have to zip along quickly enough to always keep pace with human movement.

Now take a spring loaded pole and attach it to the last gantry. It should come down to a bit above waist level. The cables should run down that pole and from there go to the user with a few feet of slack. Then tap into the positional measurements of the VR tracking on the PC side and drive the gantries so the pole is always at least a couple feet directly behind the user.

You'd end up with a solution that would keep the cord out of your way no matter where you went or what you did. Its only limitation would be constant turning in the same direction due to the cable having limits on twisting. For safety's sake, you'd throw a limit switch against the pole. If the pole gets enough tension to override the spring keeping it plum, it'll trip the limit switch and disengage all power to the motors. That will prevent the contraption from potentially ripping your headset off due to some bug. Probably should have a physical break point in the cable as well just to be on the safe side.

Anybody win the lottery lately?
That's intriguing, but rather involved ;)

For a more traditional hang from the ceiling center bit, perhaps think about a vest that has a springy lead coming out the backside by a foot or so. Feed the cable from the headset down first to the prong end, and then up to the ceiling restraint. This will keep the cable behind you rather than directly above you in most situations. Thus avoiding the potential of hitting the cable with your arms/hands when doing overhead gestures.
This seems like a solid and easy to implement idea though.

Seems the VR version of Ethan Carter will be a seperate product:

Hi Constite,

we are working on a tailor-made Virtual Reality version of the game. It is taking us a lot of time and effort to make it a great experience for VR and it is going to be released as a separate game.

Best wishes
Adrian Palma
Support Manager
The Astronauts

http://steamcommunity.com/app/400430/discussions/0/392183857618987594/

Kinda stupid, since the Redux edition already had VR support that was patched out quite soon IIRC.

Mikeside

Kinda stupid, since the Redux edition already had VR support that was patched out quite soon IIRC.

Yeah, that's kind of stupid.

I never actually bought Ethan Carter and I really want to play it, so I'll def get the VR version

So with the new consumer version I'm hearing about, I don't need a high end pc anymore ?

Of the Oculus and Vive?

You still need a powerful PC with at least a 970. But even that might not be enough for some games in high settings.

For Elite: Dangerous in Ultra you need a 980Ti.

Lupercal

Banned
Of the Oculus and Vive?

You still need a powerful PC with at least a 970. But even that might not be enough for some games in high settings.

For Elite: Dangerous in Ultra you need a 980Ti.

A friend informed me of the Oculus consumer version, better hardware and optimised software for low end pcs.

A friend informed me of the Oculus consumer version, better hardware and optimised software for low end pcs.

You need to be able to hold a steady 90fps. Low end PCs cant do that.

http://computerbase.de/2016-03/systemanforderungen-vr-spiele-benchmarks/2/

MiniGolfVR unplayabale on a 970.
HoverJunkers even runs on a 770.
Elite:Dangerous on Ultra doesnt even run well on a 980.
Elite:Dangerous on Hig runs on a 970.

These are just the minimum specs.

I mean for things like New Retro Arcade, a Virtual Cinema and such things a low-end PC might be okay, but not for "normal" games.

It was massively broken. Basically just the VR switch that by default switches to VR mode if it detects a headset was flipped to off. Menus were impossible to use with the headset on. Key effects in the game didn't work such as your main ability to see moments from the past. Any time you read a document you were left with a semi transparent rectangle stuck to your face until you quit the game, and the second puzzle in the game was basically impossible to complete (you move a train, and however far you move the train, your camera is left offset from where your character actually is in the game).

All the *work* on implementing VR happened after the redux was already released with it's accidentally enabled and completely untested default engine version of VR.

Personally I think they'd still make a good chunk of money if they just added it into the base game, or if they need to recoup costs and the base game has had it's price reduced too much by now, making it DLC.

But let's be clear that the VR support enabled by accident was just whatever is built into UE4 by default and they had done literally no work on it at that point.

And they were publically communicating that this would be the case months and months ago. I don't know how far and wide that news reached, but I'd certainly heard about it if not before the accidental VR support in redux, then certainly right after that.

It was massively broken. Basically just the VR switch that by default switches to VR mode if it detects a headset was flipped to off. Menus were impossible to use with the headset on. Key effects in the game didn't work such as your main ability to see moments from the past. Any time you read a document you were left with a semi transparent rectangle stuck to your face until you quit the game, and the second puzzle in the game was basically impossible to complete (you move a train, and however far you move the train, your camera is left offset from where your character actually is in the game).

All the *work* on implementing VR happened after the redux was already released with it's accidentally enabled and completely untested default engine version of VR.

Personally I think they'd still make a good chunk of money if they just added it into the base game, or if they need to recoup costs and the base game has had it's price reduced too much by now, making it DLC.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Yeah. I hope they make a DLC for it. And also other games like Defense Grid 2. I mean Project Cars will be available directly on Release and they even said "Its already playable on Oculus in the steam store." (So I guess you can play it with the CV1 on Steam on 28th).

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Yeah. I hope they make a DLC for it. And also other games like Defense Grid 2. I mean Project Cars will be available directly on Release and they even said "Its already playable on Oculus in the steam store." (So I guess you can play it with the CV1 on Steam on 28th).

Defense Grid and Pinball FX 2 are both more obviously new VR versions that have had to have significant redesigns done to the existing content, so I think those are more defensible.

But with Ethan Carter we haven't seen any evidence of such sweeping changes yet, so I think it's totally fair to annoyed at needing to buy the game all over again. I'm hoping to do just that... but yeah, I wish there was another way or that it wasn't even necessary.

Defense Grid and Pinball FX 2 are both more obviously new VR versions that have had to have significant redesigns done to the existing content, so I think those are more defensible.

But with Ethan Carter we haven't seen any evidence of such sweeping changes yet, so I think it's totally fair to annoyed at needing to buy the game all over again. I'm hoping to do just that... but yeah, I wish there was another way or that it wasn't even necessary.

Hope so. I mean at least from what we know now, the Adr1ft version on Steam wont be a VR version (yet). I would still rather buy it from there, since at least there I still have regional pricing.

They just announced you will get an Oculus key if you can somehow prove you have an Oculus (not sure how that will work).

I can see why Oculus wants me to use their store, but if a game is available on both storefronts I would rather have the choice where to buy it and if I already bought it on one plattform, that I will also be able to use VR on both.

Here's a question about VR sound / headphones for anyone that's actually tried any of the VR headsets.

Sony is supplying stereo ear buds with PSVR, how does stereo sound compare to surround sound headphones in VR, will a good pair of 5.1 or 7.1 headphones work better / give better immersion in VR ?

Some people have told me stereo headphones will work better than surround headphones in VR but I wasn't sure if they were serious or not.

artsi

Here's a question about VR sound / headphones for anyone that's actually tried any of the VR headsets.

Sony is supplying stereo ear buds with PSVR, how does stereo sound compare to surround sound headphones in VR, will a good pair of 5.1 or 7.1 headphones work better / give better immersion in VR ?

Some people have told me stereo headphones will work better than surround headphones in VR but I wasn't sure if they were serious or not.

Stereo works better with binaural audio that many VR games will use.

Oculus has a pretty nice info package about binaural audio, and the principle applies to other HMD's too.
(Actually many SteamVR games will be using Oculus Audio SDK, as OpenVR doesn't have that built in)

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/audiosdk/latest/concepts/book-audio-intro/

I've seen some "launch lineups" for these headsets, but does anyone know of a list of exclusives for each headset? I'm hoping this will help me make up my mind. For example, has it been confirmed that Eve wont come to Vive?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

but that doesn't mean there isn't any issues, especially since Redux edition was build without VR in mind. Technical issues and framerate problem aside, they said there are segments which cause problems when used in VR mode.

In order words, the VR edition will be more than just Redux edition in VR mode. Some portions will be redesigned for user experience.

I've had both the Rift and Vive preordered, and wasn't sure if I was going to keep both. I finally decided that having both was overkill, and canceled the Rift. I think the Vive is more for me.

Just a heads up if anyone is considering on canceling the Rift: There's no simple or quick 'cancel' button like Amazon. I had to email tech support with a cancel request, and then confirm the request from the email I placed the order and send 5 emails back and forth before it finally went through. Took about 10 hours until it was canceled.

0nFLNa1.jpg

Top Bottom