• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

SomTervo

get a vive and a 980ti now. if you were going to get one in 6 months anyway, why not now?

and your CPU is fine

Ah, cant quite afford both now. Well, we could, but we'd be stretching our budget - too tight probably. Perhaps in May we'll dive in.

Cheers!

Monger

Is there any worth in having an off topic VR thread? The focus on these devices is pretty much all gaming but I would love to see more non-gaming applications for the device. Gaming is really only half the reason I am investing in VR.

I think in visualization and education it could be pretty amazing. Thinking only about my field, being able to "see", manipulate and walk around some of the more abstract concepts like wave propagation in various mediums or looking at antenna radiation patterns would be amazing for learning. You could even turn it into a toy box where you could interact and use various objects to change behaviors. It would be a great way to get an intuitive understanding of more abstract physics or mathematical concepts in a fully 3D space. I'm excited to see how education and research make use of these devices.

Let's talk about the real-world practicalities of VR setups. I wanted to make a separate thread for this but it should fit in well here. (It's mostly an exercise to contain our hype)

Here's my current plan:
plan1grdk.png

The difficulties and open questions are:
  1. Getting a large enough hole (or multiple ones) in a 30+ cm wall to route USB3, USB2 (for the auxilliary KB/M) and displayport cables through.
  2. Whether to use the upper ~30 cm space (marked with ?), taking into account the obstacle, or stick to a rectangle for easier handling but miss out on it.
  3. Whether to and how to ceiling mount the HMD cable.

For 1), the solution is simply a really large and powerful drill, and the conviction to use it :p

For 2) I'll probably try both and see what works best. From what I can see, there is only one upcoming room-scale game which requires a 3x3m area, most are happy with less than that (often a lot less, e.g. 2.5x1.5). But more is always better, also to simply go exploring around just a bit in a more direct VR "port" like The Witness before having to use a controller.

For 3), I'm quite sure that I do want to mount the cable somehow, but I don't have a solid plan yet. The current idea I favor is to use a retractable dog leash to hold up (and, if required, lower with little resistance) the cable. Something like this:

Mounted on the ceiling. The advantage of this is that they come in all sorts of resistances (for different sizes of dogs) so it should be possible to find one with just enough spring to hold up the cable, but which easily lowers it when required.

Does anyone have any good ideas for cable management?

I like your dog lead idea, I'm gonna steal that.

Look at every vive video in existence. Count how many use a non-floor solution for HMD cable management. The answer is zero. Now ask and consider why no one else is doing it and why maybe you shouldn't either.

(Your arms will swing into the cables)

Looks like Valve is holding some announcements for next week:

http://www.vrfocus.com/2016/03/new-htc-vive-theatre-mode-details-to-be-announced-next-week/

A few days ago, prior to the start of the Game Developers Conference (GDC) 2016, VRFocus reported on Valve, the company behind the Steam platform and collaborator on HTC Vive, that it would be showcasing an early development of SteamVR Desktop Theatre Mode this week. While we’ve not seen it yet, Valve as mentioned further details will be announced next week.

VRFocus spoke to Valve’s Chet Faliszek who not only confirmed this information, but also said the company had new details to unveil regarding the Lighthouse base stations that enable the HTC Vive’s Room Scale tracking system. Faliszek remarked: “They can do things people haven’t even thought about yet.”

UnrealEck

Look at every vive video in existence. Count how many use a non-floor solution for HMD cable management. The answer is zero. Now ask and consider why no one else is doing it and why maybe you shouldn't either.

(Your arms will swing into the cables)

I don't see how they would if the cable is going to be above your head at all times. If you use a retractable cable system. That would take a little more work though.

Absinthe

After seeing what Oculus showed at GDC I compulsively pre-ordered a Vive because looking forward it appears room-scale may be more important than I thought.

My Rift ships in Mar, Vive in May so this will give me time to decide if the Rift will be full enough experience for me or if I sell it and switch to Vive..

I know Rift with Touch will do room-scale but I also don't want to wait til this fall.

Hale-XF11

I know Rift with Touch will do room-scale but I also don't want to wait til this fall.

Considering the fact that Oculus is very uncomfortable and lacking confidence in talking about room-scale, I'd say that Vive is the way to go for anyone with interest in room-scale VR.

Absinthe

Considering the fact that Oculus is very uncomfortable and lacking confidence in talking about room-scale, I'd say that Vive is the way to go for anyone with interest in room-scale VR.

True. Oculus being cagey about room-scale concerns me as well.

I have been 100% behind Oculus this entire time. I tried a DK1 at the beginning, purchased a DK2 the moment it went up, and pre-ordered the CV1 within the first 10 minutes. But the more I think about it the more I realize how disappointing it would be to miss out on some of the room-scale experiences Vive has to offer.

Hopefully ED and PCars announce Vive support in the future.

ED already supports the vive. Here's a video of someone with a Pre playing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWeBT1r4EI8

Good to know, TY

Jams775

Another gaffer told mentioned to me while I was trying to decide which to get that he'd rather have room scale and not need it than not have room scale and need it. That and being able to get it sooner along with other minor quips had me going for Vive.

Though looking now at all 3 options, I'd say if you know what you want from VR then you'll be happy with whatever choice you make.

Mr_eX

Anyone know what kind of privacy options Oculus Home will have? Based on the one screenshot it looks like it forces you to display your full name to everyone.

Enordash

Another gaffer told mentioned to me while I was trying to decide which to get that he'd rather have room scale and not need it than not have room scale and need it. That and being able to get it sooner along with other minor quips had me going for Vive.

Though looking now at all 3 options, I'd say if you know what you want from VR then you'll be happy with whatever choice you make.

I've been struggling a lot with this too. Unfortunately, I only currently have a preorder for the Rift. In the interest of getting one soon, I think I'm going to stick with it.

Absinthe

I've been struggling a lot with this too. Unfortunately, I only currently have a preorder for the Rift. In the interest of getting one soon, I think I'm going to stick with it.

The Rift is going to be amazing either way and, if the rumors are true, is a lighter HMD with less SDE. It also looks more high-end than the Vive IMO.

Josman

The Rift is going to be amazing either way and, if the rumors are true, is a lighter HMD with less SDE. It also looks more high-end than the Vive IMO.

The Vive has a bigger FOV, a much bigger and precise tracking area with less oclussion, and the chaperone system, it's certainly the highest end headset

The Vive has a bigger FOV, a much bigger and precise tracking area with less oclussion, and the chaperone system, it's certainly the highest end headset

I think the software, both gaming and non-gaming related makes the most difference. Oculus just seems much further along in its software tools and support from developers. Vive seems like its still in beta but they are releasing it now so Oculus doesn't get too big a lead on them.

Zalusithix

They both have their strengths. The Rift is more refined from a build perspective. Lighter, better optics, and so on. The Vive trades some of that build refinement for technical prowess and flexibility on the tracking front.

So it really comes down to what you want out of VR. If you're only ever going to plop down for seated content, then the Rift's strengths are going to win out. If you want the option for large room scale experiences, then the Vive is the way to go. Technically both can do either, but the Vive is going to be closer to the Rift in seated play than the Rift will be to the Vive in room scale. It's pretty obvious even Oculus doesn't believe their system can handle room scale well at this point.

I think the software, both gaming and non-gaming related makes the most difference. Oculus just seems much further along in its software tools and support from developers. Vive seems like its still in beta but they are releasing it now so Oculus doesn't get too big a lead on them.
Further along with software tools? Yeah, that's why they don't even have a basic chaperone system. As for support, they've had devkits out in the wild longer, and have locked in exclusives. The first part is rectified with time. The second will never change because Valve doesn't believe in it. (Which is a good thing.)

You need to use the Lighthouses either way. Your headset position can't be tracked at all without their information.
That's what I thought. Thanks for answering a stupid question.
Edit: what sucks is when I use the room scaling it'll be in my living room. But when I play a sit down game it'll be in my bedroom. Any idea how the Lighthouses have to be set up for sit down gaming?

Nzyme32

I guess the lighthouse announcement is the room scan thing that was taken out of the dev update rather sharpish.

Edit: what sucks is when I use the room scaling it'll be in my living room. But when I play a sit down game it'll be in my bedroom. Any idea how the Lighthouses have to be set up for sit down gaming?

The set up is identical in terms of placement. The current step by step PC setup procedure in Steam is different for roomscale and standing/seated, but that whole thing is getting revamped anyway. I'm assuming that relates to the lighthouse stuff they'll talk about next week

Wallach

Not really a stupid question when this stuff is all pretty new. But yeah, the Lighthouses are how the software knows everything about the position of your headset, including stuff like turning and tilting your head. Everything about the position of the headset in space is calculated by determining which sensors on the HMD are struck by the light beams coming out a Lighthouse, and at what specific timestamp each particular sensor was struck.

I guess the lighthouse announcement is the room scan thing that was taken out of the dev update rather sharpish.

The set up is identical in terms of placement. The current step by step PC setup procedure in Steam is different for roomscale and standing/seated, but that whole thing is getting revamped anyway. I'm assuming that relates to the lighthouse stuff they'll talk about next week

Not really a stupid question when this stuff is all pretty new. But yeah, the Lighthouses are how the software knows everything about the position of your headset, including stuff like turning and tilting your head. Everything about the position of the headset in space is calculated by determining which sensors on the HMD are struck by the light beams coming out a Lighthouse, and at what specific timestamp each particular sensor was struck.
Damn idk how I'd set it up for my bedroom setup. Living room is easy at least.

Wallach

Damn idk how I'd set it up for my bedroom setup. Living room is easy at least.

It should be the same idea, you don't have to do anything in particular for sit down gaming. Heck you could probably just put them both forward facing on either side in that case if you're not going to be changing levels to be low to the ground in your bedroom.

It should be the same idea, you don't have to do anything in particular for sit down gaming. Heck you could probably just put them both forward facing on either side in that case if you're not going to be changing levels to be low to the ground in your bedroom.
You'd think you could just set them on your desk. Idk. I'm really pumped for this but the technical stuff I find really confusing. I wanted a video the other day about how the Lighthouses work and I still don't understand most of it.

Nzyme32

You'd think you could just set them on your desk. Idk. I'm really pumped for this but the technical stuff I find really confusing. I wanted a video the other day about how the Lighthouses work and I still don't understand most of it.

The problem of putting them both on your desk is the same as Oculus Touch; you have occlusion every time you turn around or have to interact behind you. The main difference though is that most of the Vive games need you to be able to play and interact regardless of direction you are facing (ie 360 degrees), which means you have to have them in opposing corners.

You can stand them rather than mount them. There is a reduced field of view for lighthouse if you do that due to the angles, which means a smaller possible play area vs if they were angled to see more of the floor. You can even put them on the floor angled up, but then you have a much larger oculusion possibility due to your body getting in the way. Just do what makes sense for the room and space you want to use

Zalusithix

They have an alternating 120 degree cast of IR light on the horizontal and vertical axis in addition to an omnidirectional timing flash. That means there's a 60 degree offset in either direction from the centerline. You could just place one on a desk aiming at you like the rift camera. Wouldn't work well at all for room scale, but it'd be fine for seated play.

They have an alternating 120 degree cast of IR light on the horizontal and vertical axis in addition to an omnidirectional timing flash. That means there's a 60 degree offset in either direction from the centerline. You could just place one on a desk aiming at you like the rift camera. Wouldn't work well at all for room scale, but it'd be fine for seated play.

The problem of putting them both on your desk is the same as Oculus Touch; you have occlusion every time you turn around or have to interact behind you. The main difference though is that most of the Vive games need you to be able to play and interact regardless of direction you are facing (ie 360 degrees), which means you have to have them in opposing corners.

You can stand them rather than mount them. There is a reduced field of view for lighthouse if you do that due to the angles, which means a smaller possible play area vs if they were angled to see more of the floor. You can even put them on the floor angled up, but then you have a much larger oculusion possibility due to your body getting in the way. Just do what makes sense for the room and space you want to use
Thanks alot guys. I'll just have to wait til I get it to figure it out. 2 more months for me.

Anyone know what kind of privacy options Oculus Home will have? Based on the one screenshot it looks like it forces you to display your full name to everyone.

On the Oculus app for the Gear VR, you can choose to show your name to:

Anyone
Friends
Only Friends You Choose
Only You

And you can turn off allowing people to search for your profile using your real name.

Zalusithix

Is any of that stuff actually headset exclusive? I thought it was just store exclusive.

Not like there's a difference at this point in the game. The only headsets supported by the Oculus SDK right now happen to be ones that have their name on them. This is in direct contrast to SteamVR supporting the Oculus SDK.

From Steve Wozniak:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4apj5f/im_apple_cofounder_steve_wozniak_ask_me_anything/d12gmlr

Well, I would think probably one of them is certainly the Oculus Rift, or any of the VR headsets. I love putting mine on and watching a basketball game live; it was just an experience that you can't believe. Sometimes I come out of a VR world, take off the helmet, and I can't believe I'm actually sitting in my office, at a desk at home. So, that's one of the big ones.

That gets me weak between my knees.

Justin

Oops yes I should've been more clear. I am talking about the Oculus bundles on Amazon. The 1500 Asus one seems like a good deal and it I would get it next month instead of The July date on the Oculus site. I'm just worried because when I look around at builds on Reddit the PCs are all closer to 2k on their own. Would the Asus one be ok to start out?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BHFI4XG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Oops yes I should've been more clear. I am talking about the Oculus bundles on Amazon. The 1500 Asus one seems like a good deal and it I would get it next month instead of The July date on the Oculus site. I'm just worried because when I look around at builds on Reddit the PCs are all closer to 2k on their own. Would the Asus one be ok to start out?

The Asus one is probably the best deal out of all the bundles... though I'd think about stepping up to the 16 Gig, 980 model. That should work great for the Vive too, if you ever decide to grab one.

You won't have to worry, games sold on the Oculus store are designed to run at 90fps with those specs.

Zalusithix

You won't have to worry, games sold on the Oculus store are designed to run at 90fps with those specs.

Assuming you dial down settings enough, sure. Some games (like Elite Dangerous) can require more than a 970 with higher quality settings. That said, I'm not sure a 980 is worth it with the next gen cards looming ever nearer.

Top Bottom