• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

I don't know. I'm planning on keeping both long term but at the very least I don't think it's a dick move to try both and just resell the one you like less. There's still a ton we don't know about the competing products, services, and cross comparability.
Yeah I can agree with that. Just not a fan of the people that buy a bunch of new tech products just to resell.
Plus I can't afford to spend $1500 all at once.

I don't know. I'm planning on keeping both long term but at the very least I don't think it's a dick move to try both and just resell the one you like less. There's still a ton we don't know about the competing products, services, and cross comparability.
Yeah. I'm going to be reselling one of them after trying them both for a month, and I'm not going to feel guilty if someone who wants it sooner is willing to pay a premium for it. They're VR headsets, not precious medical supplies.

finger movement not totally binary.

How are they doing that? I thought they were just using buttons/capacitive sensors.

Touch is probably going to be what makes me keep my Rift over my Vive - making your hands feel as present as possible is going to be really important.

According to Alan Yates (Lighthouse guy) Valve also experimented with this design. I'm not sure why they moved away from it, maybe the controllers were too difficult to track in a room scale setting?

Looks amazing, and seems like they've managed to make the finger movement not totally binary. Touch is probably going to be what makes me keep my Rift over my Vive - making your hands feel as present as possible is going to be really important.

That still looks 100% binary to me. They just have a transitional animation to create the illusion of fingers closing and opening.

Still neat, though!

Frozone

Some Oculus Touch testing footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBRxz8zZ4EI

Damn, the hand tracking looks sweet.

TMu1eix.gif

That's looks fucking awesome! I am glad I'm sticking with the Rift this go around.

Monger

That's kind of different though. You plan on using them and selling one. I don't care about the Rift until Touch releases so I canceled my order and will decide if I want one later.

I could've kept it and tried to sell for a profit but it's not enough money to bother. I'd rather somebody else get moved up.

Zalusithix

Some Oculus Touch testing footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBRxz8zZ4EI

Damn, the hand tracking looks sweet.

TMu1eix.gif

It certainly looks like they've made good use of the capacitive sensors. I'd be somewhat jealous as a Vive owner if not for the fact that the Rift simply wasn't a viable option for me in room scale to begin with. Routing USB cables back to the computer is a no go for the positions I'd need the cameras in. Can't be too concerned about things that never stood a chance of happening in the first place.

This isn't "hand tracking" though is it? Isn't this a combo of having some capacitive buttons rather than literal hand tracking?
It's not literal hand tracking, but does it matter if the effect is basically the same? I mean it's not going to track spreading your fingers or full analogue movement, but it'll be enough to really give your hands a feeling of presence.

artsi

The developer (who posted that video) commented on it a bit. Looks like there's still some secrets left.

Hey guys! I am the dev/artist of Wild West Outlaws! Thanks so much for your comments! For obvious reasons I can't into details about the Touch device itself but rest assured it is and feels awesome in the real world and in VR. Really greatly enhances the immersion factor.

What is better!? Overall I would say that Oculus Touch has the advantage but I won't be able to go into detail due to NDA.

Glad you like what you're seeing. I didn't "leak" any info but merely showed some very rough first tests with the Touch. I did in fact asked Oculus for permission first and made sure to not say anything in particular about the device or show any photos of it (even though we've all seen photos of the newer Touch Controller).

Nzyme32

It certainly looks like they've made good use of the capacitive sensors. I'd be somewhat jealous as a Vive owner if not for the fact that the Rift simply wasn't a viable option for me in room scale to begin with. Routing USB cables back to the computer is a no go for the positions I'd need the cameras in. Can't be too concerned about things that never stood a chance of happening in the first place.

The only touch sensitive thing on the Vive controllers are the touch pads. The trigger is analogue but the grip buttons are digital, so there is less possible variation for controlling much beyond finger pointing, thumbs up / down and a clenched fist. Ultimately, I don't think the fidelity of hand gestures will be good on any of the controllers and people will still have to use some form of animated gestures that they can at least give some nuance through the movement tracking.

It's not literal hand tracking, but does it matter if the effect is basically the same? I mean it's not going to track spreading your fingers or full analogue movement, but it'll be enough to really give your hands a feeling of presence.

I can't really comment on hand presence since I haven't used touch to see if the sensation is wildly different that the Vive controllers I have used (DK1). Having your hands simply be there feels massive, but I don't think the actual finger gestures and fidelity there are enough to be some sort of significant multiplier just yet. Definitely need to try it to see though. As I found with the Vive, some games animate the hand movements in a very nice way but isn't representative of what I actually did, so there is some disconnect there but nothing awful.

hesido

Looks amazing, and seems like they've managed to make the finger movement not totally binary. Touch is probably going to be what makes me keep my Rift over my Vive - making your hands feel as present as possible is going to be really important.

Sony could have at least provided some control on fingers finger control if they had put a god damned analogue stick on the moves. :\

This looks spectacular.

I can't really comment on hand presence since I haven't used touch to see if the sensation is wildly different that the Vive controllers I have used (DK1). Having your hands simply be there feels massive, but I don't think the actual finger gestures and fidelity there are enough to be some sort of significant multiplier just yet. Definitely need to try it to see though. As I found with the Vive, some games animate the hand movements in a very nice way but isn't representative of what I actually did, so there is some disconnect there but nothing awful.

I've only used a Vive, and the controllers absolutely work fine without feeling hugely obtrusive, but anything which goes further towards it feeling less like you're holding a controller is going to help, so the Touch being a lot smaller and the finger tracking should give it an advantage.

Monger

Yeah, of course it matters. What happens when you release all of 4 fingers from the controller?

Sydle

Need advice. A friend is offering to sell his DK2 plus Leap motion and face mount for $400.

Will the DK2 work with any of the upcoming games? You think I could see it all and make back enough money to buy the commercial version?

What are the drawbacks here?

UnrealEck

So the functionality of an analog trigger for the index?

The index finger's trigger is obviously analogue like a regular trigger but it's also touch sensitive as far as I know. So it can detect when you actually lift your finger off the trigger's surface.

Yeah, of course it matters. What happens when you release all of 4 fingers from the controller?
I'm pretty sure the Tested video from last year said the controller kind of rests on your hand when you do that, so it's not like the controller drops or you can't regrip it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Same (I think). If oculus touch is great then I'll look forward to a variation of it on the gen 2 headsets. Or someone will get it working as a standalone controller that can work with vive

Since Valve are licensing out their lighthouse tech I think that there will be many variations of controllers from different manufacturers that will be compatible so anyone who is getting a Vive or any open source VR HMD will not have to worry so much about controls. One of the perks of being an open platform.

As far as I know Oculus is a closed platform in that regard? Correct me if I'm wrong.

My point is that people shouldn't worry to much about controllers. These are the first iterations of them and they will get better. Some just faster and with more options than others in terms of compatibility.

Krejlooc

Banned
Since Valve are licensing out their lighthouse tech I think that there will be many variations of controllers from different manufacturers that will be compatible so anyone who is getting a Vive or any open source VR HMD will not have to worry so much about controls. One of the perks of being an open platform.

As far as I know Oculus is a closed platform in that regard? Correct me if I'm wrong.

My point is that people shouldn't worry to much about controllers. These are the first iterations of them and they will get better. Some just faster and with more options than others in terms of compatibility.

SteamVR abstracts motion controllers, actually. Touch controllers will behave just like Vive Controllers, and there is a very high probability that you can even use Sixense controllers too. The main problem would be the physical differences in controllers (i.e. analog sticks vs haptic touch pads and so forth) but I would expect by the end of the year or maybe by next year, all these motion controllers will be cross compatible.

Monger

I'm pretty sure the Tested video from last year said the controller kind of rests on your hand when you do that, so it's not like the controller drops or you can't regrip it.

So you can reach down for an object and take your fingers off the controller to grab the object?

pj

Banned
I wonder what the battery life will be for the touch controllers. I assume their power consumption is similar to the vive controllers, but touch is quite a bit smaller.

Need advice. A friend is offering to sell his DK2 plus Leap motion and face mount for $400.

Will the DK2 work with any of the upcoming games? You think I could see it all and make back enough money to buy the commercial version?

Don't buy it, especialy at that price. Even for half of that I wouldn't recommend it.
Oculus have stated that DK2 will suport 1.0 runtime, but that was long ago, and there are so many unknowns regarding software compatibility (resolution, refresh rate etc).
You'd really rather wait a bit and save for the consumer version. And your "friend" shouldn't have any problem to get his asking price on ebay it seems.

Sky Chief

I sold my DK2 for $650 on eBay yesterday. I set it to Buy It Now and it sold within 24 hours. It was bought by a Chinese company (I assume by the name) that seems to be buying 1-2 DK2s every day. I didn't even have to ship overseas they gave me a US mailing address.

Exuro

Only reason I'd do it is to possibly sell it for a little more. Leap Motion is like $25 on Alibabba and I don't DK2 will last very long after CV1 is out.

I sold my DK2 for $650 on eBay yesterday. I set it to Buy It Now and it sold within 24 hours. It was bought by a Chinese company (I assume by the name) that seems to be buying 1-2 DK2s every day. I didn't even have to ship overseas they gave me a US mailing address.

Was the company name part of the profile name by chance and if so what was it? I had one going with bidders from China and assumed I'd need to do international shipping, didn't know about needing to set exclusions for regions you won't ship to, bidders not from your region etc so I shut it down early. May have been premature if these bidders are using a US address for receiving.

Zalusithix

On the flip side, if he doesn't (for whatever reason) manage to sell it, he's spent $400 on severely outdated hardware and stuck with it. Not saying it will happen, but there is a risk.

The problem here is I'm completely willing to pay $800 for Vive and I'm also completely willing to accept Touch may end up being a really good and perhaps superior hand-tracking solution.

But, do I play with Vive in the short term knowing full well I end up with Oculus in the long term. Decisions....

Palmer has commented on the c:\ install stuff:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4bd31n/oculus_software_and_vr_applications_must_be/d18dw80

This is near the very top of our roadmap, but other features took priority for launch. Getting this working is non-trivial for a lot of reasons, but we will be getting it out ASAP. In the meanwhile, we are going to post some workarounds - we are still in the process of rolling out our support pages, don't take anything as final yet.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The problem here is I'm completely willing to pay $800 for Vive and I'm also completely willing to accept Touch may end up being a really good and perhaps superior hand-tracking solution.

But, do I play with Vive in the short term knowing full well I end up with Oculus in the long term. Decisions....
Is there a post on GAF or article higlighliting all strengths of each VR platform?

Frozone

Do you really *need* hand-tracking right now? If so, from what game? It's going to take quite a bit of time before we see games using that feature. By then, the Touch should have already released imo.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do you really *need* hand-tracking right now? If so, from what game? It's going to take quite a bit of time before we see games using that feature. By then, the Touch should have already released imo.

As much as anyone 'needs' anything about VR, I need to play motion control games before the end of the year. Tilt brush almost justifies the vive motion controllers on its own

Krejlooc

Banned

games like Hover Junkers, Fantastic Contraption, Budget Cuts, Tiltbrush, several games in The Lab, Cloudlands Mini Golf, VR Tennis, and so forth aren't really feasible without hand tracking. And UE4 VR would be a logistical nightmare without it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
games like Hover Junkers, Fantastic Contraption, Budget Cuts, Tiltbrush, several games in The Lab, Cloudlands Mini Golf, VR Tennis, and so forth aren't really feasible without hand tracking. And UE4 VR would be a logistical nightmare without it.

I wonder if he was talking about the finger tracking, would make more sense that way.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm interested in trying out the Lighthouse controllers for 3D modelling, e.g. using one hand to hold and rotate the model while the other manipulates points. Any support for that out there yet?

Top Bottom