• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

pj

Banned
You misunderstand. This developer is targeting the IEMs that come with the Vive for their audio tuning, over the ears in this game may cause a problem. If the game was tuned for over the ear type of headphones then IEMs would cause problems. The benefit of the Rift is that everyone will have the same decent quality headphones and the positional audio in every game will be tuned for that one set of hardware.

That's a huge plus.

Now if every Vive came with the same high quality over the ear cans, the Vive would beat out the rift in the audio department, but there is a lot to be said for everyone having the same exact headphones.

Audio designers generally tune for whatever the most common setup is. They can do better if they know everyone will have a uniform output.

I understood just fine. I think a lot of people are overestimating the difficulty of positional audio. The Division does a fantastic job of it and it has no idea what brand or style of headphone I have.

Yes, it is an advantage for the entire audio stack to be a known quantity. However, since they don't know the shape of the end user's ear, it is still somewhat of a guess.

The convenience factor of rift's built in headphones is far more compelling than any alleged sound advantage. Of all the rift/vive comparisons I've read, I don't think anyone has declared one or the other to have superior positional audio, but most have mentioned that vive is more cumbersome because you need to use separate headphones.

The developer everyone loves to quote lately said this:

"That's technically still true for the Vive but the fact that they're IEMs will stop many people from using them. At least that's what happened in our office. Out of 10+ people here only one can actually stand IEMs and that's me. "

Why would they target IEMs if nobody is going to use them?

I understood just fine. I think a lot of people are overestimating the difficulty of positional audio. The Division does a fantastic job of it and it has no idea what brand or style of headphone I have.

Yes, it is an advantage for the entire audio stack to be a known quantity. However, since they don't know the shape of the end user's ear, it is still somewhat of a guess.

The convenience factor of rift's built in headphones is far more compelling than any alleged sound advantage. Of all the rift/vive comparisons I've read, I don't think anyone has declared one or the other to have superior positional audio, but most have mentioned that vive is more cumbersome because you need to use separate headphones.

The developer everyone loves to quote lately said this:

"That's technically still true for the Vive but the fact that they're IEMs will stop many people from using them. At least that's what happened in our office. Out of 10+ people here only one can actually stand IEMs and that's me. "

Why would they target IEMs if nobody is going to use them?

Weight. They weigh nothing. I personally like inear but will probably use some that I already have unless these are better.

Zalusithix

That makes sense, Oculus Audio SDK documentation also says that IEM's behave differently regarding binaural audio and would require specific fine-tuning.

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/audiosdk/latest/concepts/audio-intro-devices/

IEMs behave better if binarual audio is the ultimate goal since you factor in the outer ear effects and pipe the resulting audio straight into the ear canal. This kind of defeats the supra-aural Rift pack ins if that was the goal. Not that it really matters. Frankly positional audio in games tend to be a "close enough" solution. They can't compare to good real recordings, at least in my experience.

Anyhow, I have high end circumaural and decently high end IEMs (certainly higher than packed in), so this kind of debate is moot for me. If a game is that fine tuned with their HRTFs then I'll switch to IEMs. HRTFs are really all that matters for positional audio. Frequency response not so much. For everything else, I'll enjoy the much fuller sound that my circumaural cans can give.

Lunar FC

Is there anyway to see when my Vive will ship? I didn't get my order in until a couple hours after it opened.

Edit: I'm in the US

jiggles

Banned
Product Name: VIVE Kit - May Shipment - UK

tumblr_mxtlcewskv1sj4k5qw3.gif

pj

Banned
Weight. They weigh nothing. I personally like inear but will probably use some that I already have unless these are better.

I'm not talking shit on IEMs in general. I have high quality IEMs in my ears no less than 6 hours a day.

I was just countering the claim that the mystery reddit VR dev was targeting IEMs for his game. If 90% of his team doesn't like them, and he's aware that a good portion of the public don't like them, why would they be the baseline for their audio tuning?

Lunar FC

Someone said they ordered 'a few hours after live' and they're in part 2 shipment.

Wack. I can't believe I forgot to do it when I got up that day. Didn't remember until the middle of my accounting class. :p

Also, how in the world do I cancel my damn Rift order?

Zalusithix

I don't remember it showing up in the thread since the liveblog, so here's the actual full contents of Alex Vlacho's "Advanced VR Rendering Performance" talk (slide wise at least). Nice having all the slides natively instead of photos of some of them.

ducksauce

I have both the Oculus and Vive preordered, leaning more towards keeping my Vive preorder. I know I won't be paying Chronos or Edge of Nowhere on Vive but I was wondering if there would be any third person games at launch or at least announced.

Zalusithix

This sucks, but at least I already know how to make symbolic links because of Steam.

Yeah, it can be worked around, but why should you have to? Every store out there at this point allows arbitrary installation locations. How do you launch in 2016 with a limitation like that? If you're doing something that even Valve has fixed in Steam, you know you're behind the times. =P

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wack. I can't believe I forgot to do it when I got up that day. Didn't remember until the middle of my accounting class. :p

Also, how in the world do I cancel my damn Rift order?

if you have an early Rift order, probably worth keeping it and then selling it on

Qassim

Yeah, it can be worked around, but why should you have to? Every store out there at this point allows arbitrary installation locations. How do you launch in 2016 with a limitation like that? If you're doing something that even Valve has fixed in Steam, you know you're behind the times. =P

Especially when your product is one aimed largely at PC gaming enthusiasts, you'd think basic features like that would be a certain for launch.

Zalusithix

You were beaten in this thread. =P
Especially when your product is one aimed largely at PC gaming enthusiasts, you'd think basic features like that would be a certain for launch.
Flabbergasting really. You're very likely going to be dealing with people that have smaller SSDs as a system drives and have separate HDDs/SSDs for games. Just assuming that you'll have the space to dump umpteen GB games on the primary drive is crazy. It doesn't affect me, but I just can't fathom how somebody didn't see that restriction as something to fix ages ago.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Onemic

Not that I wasnt planning on cancelling my Rift order anyway, but this just reinforces my decision. My SSD is already low on space as it is.

artsi

I get that it's bad design to force the drive, but symbolic links aren't hard guys. You can still have games on other drives.

It's one command in Windows 7 / 8 / 10.

Code:
mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus" "D:\irectory\Of\Your\Choice"

Zalusithix

Yeah I already cancelled mine. I only have a 120gb ssd. Pretty much useless except for maybe 1 game.

While it is a crappy limitation, I hope you didn't cancel solely because of that. It can be worked around with some underlying filesystem magic. By all means you shouldn't have to do so, but it isn't worth canceling for by itself.

Edit:
Speaking of controls. Is anyone planning or already have a HOTAS flightstick for their VR? I'm thinking of getting an X52 or something similar for Eve Valkyrie.
Already have a Warthog, but I'll be jumping on the VKB Gunfighter + Warthog adapter when I get the chance. Throttle will be custom (when I finish it).

While it is a crappy limitation, I hope you didn't cancel solely because of that. It can be worked around with some underlying filesystem magic. By all means you shouldn't have to do so, but it isn't worth canceling for by itself.
Nah I cancelled and changed to the vive last week.

Frozone

No one knows.
I'm betting somewhere between $100-130

Speaking of controls. Is anyone planning or already have a HOTAS flightstick for their VR? I'm thinking of getting an X52 or something similar for Eve Valkyrie.

Thrustmaster Warthog here with Logitech pedals. ;)

Sky Chief

I don't understand why anyone would cancel a preorder of any of these headsets when you will be able to immediately turn around and sell them for massive profit

Monger

No one knows.
I'm betting somewhere between $100-130

Im guessing 150-200 plus shipping. If move + camera is 100, I figure touch is 1.5 to 2 times that.

Zalusithix

I don't understand why anyone would cancel a preorder of any of these headsets when you will be able to immediately turn around and sell them for massive profit

Not wanting to act like a scalper? Switching from one to the other and don't want to pay an extra $600-800 in the near term to do so? Wanting to let the next person in line get theirs faster? Simply don't want to deal with the hassle? There's plenty of reasons.

Sky Chief

I find that to be a dick move. If rather someone who really wants one get bumped up to a faster ship date

Not wanting to act like a scalper? Switching from one to the other and don't want to pay an extra $600-800 in the near term to do so? Wanting to let the next person in line get theirs faster? Simply don't want to deal with the hassle? There's plenty of reasons.

I don't know. I'm planning on keeping both long term but at the very least I don't think it's a dick move to try both and just resell the one you like less. There's still a ton we don't know about the competing products, services, and cross comparability.

Top Bottom