• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

As much as anyone 'needs' anything about VR, I need to play motion control games before the end of the year. Tilt brush almost justifies the vive motion controllers on its own

Right, probably used the wrong wording. But, I meant if I want to show and have my kids do something like Tilt Brush, say, before Thanksgiving, Vive is it. But, I can completely see a future where Touch may end up being the more tactical hand in VR space solution. That is agonizing and causes me lots of anxiety having both showing up at my house in the next couple weeks. :)

The Chef

I'm really hoping the tracking of the move controllers is rock solid. Watching that Tested.com video of him playing Golem looked soooo unresponsive and awful. Please be good PSVR 😭

One thing I'm excited about with VR (and Vive specifically) is the possibility of showing my dad a video game that will impress him. Standard-display games were probably never going to interest him, but I know he won't be able to help but be fascinated with a VR experience.

Onemic

Because all of the Rift stuff that Im actually interested in is coming later down the line, it makes more sense for me to grab a Vive now and get a CV2 Rift. Getting stuff early with the promise of great things coming later down the line usually ends up with me regretting it eventually.

I have to admit that I will always be eternally grateful to Oculus for giving me a free Rift whoever ends up leading us into our bright VR future. Seeing people deliberate between the two headsets back and forth I'm glad that it's such a no brainer for me. Just keep the free one. The Vive may be $200 better than the Rift, but it sure as hell isn't $800 better.

I'm not lying when I say Oculus's game line up at launch is *much* more appealing to me, but I'm trying to be very open to admitting that room scale VR is an unknown quantity to me right now. Maybe I'll feel differently when I get to try it and luckily I won't have to wait too long before I do.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I spend hundreds of dollars on a piece of technology it always takes me a while before I start to really enjoy it. I have to feel like I got my moneys worth before there isn't that buyers remorse somewhat getting in front of things.

I won't have that with the Rift.

And sure, it's probably a PR move, and probably does indeed influence how I feel about the two headsets at least to a point but I'm still grateful.

And at least until I see it for myself, I'm going to be blissfully ignorant of what I'm missing out on from room scale.

Blissfully playing Pinball FX 2 VR hopefully.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Right, probably used the wrong wording. But, I meant if I want to show and have my kids do something like Tilt Brush, say, before Thanksgiving, Vive is it. But, I can completely see a future where Touch may end up being the more tactical hand in VR space solution. That is agonizing and causes me lots of anxiety having both showing up at my house in the next couple weeks. :)

How far out do younger that future, considering devs will need time to make games that really take advantage of it.

You could be looking at a second wave of headsets by then. Or someone will have made a tool that lets you use oculus touch with the vive headset.

Anything is possible

Is there a reason that you think these two controls will be the only options? Honest question. Not trying to set you up or anything.

I personally think that in the future there will be plenty of options and variations for VR controls from different manufacturers especially on the Steam open VR side. I don't think there will be a one above all solution anytime soon. I mean look at all the different input methods for PC gaming after all these years.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Tilt Brush is using room tracking. There is yet to be a commitment for room tracking from Oculus, rather the opposite being true. So it might be a long time to wait for it, if not a generation.

I'm really hoping the tracking of the move controllers is rock solid. Watching that Tested.com video of him playing Golem looked soooo unresponsive and awful. Please be good PSVR 😭

Golem is trying to simulate a slow heavy sword swinging with a light easily swung move controller. That's their approach. It's not the hardware that's the problem there, it's that they are purposefully not tracking it 1:1 when it comes to Golem.

I don't think there's a good solution without fundamentally changing the game. Something using a foil or a rapier would make a crap load more sense. But since you're a golem... they went with this.

It's arguably a case where traditional controls would probably work better than using a motion controller. Like the attack should really be something you activate than something you're supposed to do.

With some experience I suppose you'll learn to mimic the slow movements and it'll get better... but it's not a design decision I'd have made, nor a design problem I'd like to have to solve.

Tilt Brush is using room tracking. There is yet to be a commitment for room tracking from Oculus, rather the opposite being true. So it might be a long time to wait for it, if not a generation.

Everything supports the idea that the touch handles room tracking just fine, but that Oculus are encouraging developers to target the standing front facing experience because they think it's the setup most people will be using.

We've heard nothing to suggest there's a hardware limitation. The Vive is certainly an easier setup and offers better coverage... but Oculus aren't preventing developers from trying room scale. Just advising them against it at this point. Maybe that'll change if the Vive takes off. Maybe they're working on some equivalent to chaperone and want that in place before they encourage such games.

But such games will exist. It's more a question of button placement differing between the Vive and Touch, since most developers will likely target both (and PSVR with move) at least initially to hit as wide a userbase as possible.

Gaf - I have a question that I'm hoping someone here can answer. I have my PC setup in my theater room, where I sit ~10-12ft back from the screen. My pc is housed in a built-in cabinet below my projector screen. You can see photos here.

My question: can I use the Rift with this setup? I'm worried that the cord length would be too short, and that the censor would be too far away from the headset.

I preordered a Vive because I figured it would be more appropriate for my setup. However, I'm concerned that it could be the 'less successful' of the headsets because of price (see PS3 and X1) and become obsolete sooner. Also, the Rift games lineup appeals to me more... but I'm most interested in the room-scale concept (I know that sounds contradictory). Help!

Sydle

Don't buy it, especialy at that price. Even for half of that I wouldn't recommend it.
Oculus have stated that DK2 will suport 1.0 runtime, but that was long ago, and there are so many unknowns regarding software compatibility (resolution, refresh rate etc).
You'd really rather wait a bit and save for the consumer version. And your "friend" shouldn't have any problem to get his asking price on ebay it seems.

This is what I was concerned about, but...

I sold my DK2 for $650 on eBay yesterday. I set it to Buy It Now and it sold within 24 hours. It was bought by a Chinese company (I assume by the name) that seems to be buying 1-2 DK2s every day. I didn't even have to ship overseas they gave me a US mailing address.

Only reason I'd do it is to possibly sell it for a little more. Leap Motion is like $25 on Alibabba and I don't DK2 will last very long after CV1 is out.

Seems like the going rate is $600+. It sounds like I could have it sold by end of week. Thanks for the input.

I told him I'd get back to him tomorrow.

Monger

I wouldn't worry about it. Neither is a perfect solution for natural hand interactions and will each fit different situations and purposes better. Think about how you pick up or grip different objects. Different objects and motions will feel more natural with each style grip.

Enough people have preferred one or the other to figure they'll both be great. Gizmag slightly preferred touch but said the differences aren't enough to pick one headset over the other and recommended Vive in the end.

Just enjoy what you have either way.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Golem is trying to simulate a slow heavy sword swinging with a light easily swung move controller. That's their approach. It's not the hardware that's the problem there, it's that they are purposefully not tracking it 1:1 when it comes to Golem.

I don't think there's a good solution without fundamentally changing the game. Something using a foil or a rapier would make a crap load more sense. But since you're a golem... they went with this.

It's arguably a case where traditional controls would probably work better than using a motion controller. Like the attack should really be something you activate than something you're supposed to do.

With some experience I suppose you'll learn to mimic the slow movements and it'll get better... but it's not a design decision I'd have made, nor a design problem I'd like to have to solve.

One of my favourite old games, Die By The Sword, had a good concept for this. Your input position defines the goal and your character continuously makes its own effort to move the sword into the designated position as quickly as its attributes allow. In VR, you'd be holding a "ghost" weapon as the guide. If the character hits something along the way, the weapon will bounce back as defined by game physics and the character will keep trying to bring the weapon to that position. Same goes for holding the weapon in a block position and using your shield.

artsi

Gaf - I have a question that I'm hoping someone here can answer. I have my PC setup in my theater room, where I sit ~10-12ft back from the screen. My pc is housed in a built-in cabinet below my projector screen. You can see photos here.

My question: can I use the Rift with this setup? I'm worried that the cord length would be too short, and that the censor would be too far away from the headset.

I preordered a Vive because I figured it would be more appropriate for my setup. However, I'm concerned that it could be the 'less successful' of the headsets and become obsolete sooner. Also, the Rift games lineup appeals to me more... but I'm most interested in the room-scale concept. Help!

Rift's tracking should work well at least up to 13 feet, maybe more. You can also use an extension cable for the cord if it's too short.

Otherwise the Vive vs Rift choice is something I can't answer, as you said both have their advantages and you need to decide which ones are more important. I'm sure neither of them will become obsolete while the other one is kicking, though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
... but Oculus aren't preventing developers from trying room scale. Just advising them against it at this point.

Come on, plagiarize. I know you're a fervent supporter of Rift and I enjoy your long posts about that, but read again this phrase.

"Turkish government is not actively censoring the media, just advise them to not write bad things about the the government" (just as example)

We can debate semantics, but the truth is that Oculus advise against using room tracking for the games.

But you're right, the games will exists because they will developed for Vive and not locked behind a non open-source software.

There's no reason Tilt Brush couldn't work on Rift even without full room scale tracking, right? I mean, you wouldn't be able to fully walk around whatever you create unrestricted, but I assume you'd still have enough tracking volume from two front facing cameras to have a pretty similar experience

Rift's tracking should work well at least up to 13 feet, maybe more. You can also use an extension cable for the cord if it's too short.

Otherwise the Vive vs Rift choice is something I can't answer, as you said both have their advantages and you need to decide which ones are more important. I'm sure neither of them will become obsolete while the other one is kicking, though.

My concern is that the 13' limit sounds like a straight line. In my situation, I'd have to run the cable out of the cabinet and up to my head, while still leaving enough slack to feel comfortable. It's nice to know that you can extend the rift cables; however, will the tracking device even see me and be accurate from that far away? It seems like it's designed to sit on a desk in front of someone.

Woah woah woah, in the lucky stale thread there is dolphin VR, Metroid Prime in VR?!?!?? Wtf?!???!??????

When did this happen?! Explain this to me now. I need all the info immediately. How does a wiimote work on a PC and with VR?

UnrealEck

I noticed something with my PayPal. If you're using PayPal for you Rift pre-order this might be useful to minimise potential delays or problems.

Click on the cog wheel on the top right.
Click 'Payments'
Click 'Pre-approved payments'
You should see Oculus under the merchant name and 'Facebook Payments' under description.
Click the merchant name 'Oculus VR Ireland Limited' in my case.
Now you should see at the bottom 'Funding source'.
Make sure it either your primary or backup is using the bank account or card you wish to use when your order is about to be charged and sent out.

It might prevent delays or problems.

Monger

I preordered a Vive because I figured it would be more appropriate for my setup. However, I'm concerned that it could be the 'less successful' of the headsets because of price (see PS3 and X1) and become obsolete sooner. Also, the Rift games lineup appeals to me more... but I'm most interested in the room-scale concept (I know that sounds contradictory). Help!

Nice room! Not sure what kind of ceiling access you have. Can you fish power, maybe just a 12v extension, through the soffit to a lighthouse box? Thinking it might be easier to get a clean install with full tracking just needing power.

Zalusithix

Custom install locations is non-trivial? Compared to all the other shit they've had to solve, it sure as hell should be. Unless they're doing some DRM nonsense, I don't see what would be so hard about it. Sure it's not like they just have to flip a variable, but compared to all the other stuff they've had to do with writing a whole damn software stack for the Rift? Color me not convinced.

There's no reason Tilt Brush couldn't work on Rift even without full room scale tracking, right? I mean, you wouldn't be able to fully walk around whatever you create unrestricted, but I assume you'd still have enough tracking volume from two front facing cameras to have a pretty similar experience
Assuming you only ever face forward... If you even went sideways, there's the possibility for one hand to occlude the other with two front facing cameras. (Body occludes one or both hands from the one camera, and then one hand occludes the other to the remaining camera.) Obviously turning 180 would result in lots of occlusion.

Assuming you only ever face forward... If you even if you went sideways, there's the possibility for one hand to occlude the other with two front facing cameras. (Body occludes one or both hands from the one camera, and then one hand occludes the other to the remaining camera.) Obviously turning 180 would result in lots of occlusion.
I suppose it depends on where you have your cameras. At a reasonable distance apart and angled inwards, they must create a pretty decent volume where they could track two controllers with minimum occlusion.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Going by the impressions (as I haven't try it personally), a good part of the fun is going around your paintings and seeing them in different perspectives, really perceiving their 3d depth. I think you need to move around quite a lot to create them too, if you're going for some depth.

Going by the impressions (as I haven't try it personally), a good part of the fun is going around your paintings and seeing them in different perspectives, really perceiving their 3d depth. I think you need to move around quite a lot to create them too, if you're going for some depth.

I suppose a solution could be to have whatever you create be on a turntable, so you can spin it around to work on it rather than having to fully walk around. Not quite the same, obviously, but it'd get the job done.

While my setup is nowhere near as opulent as yours, I have a similar setup with my PC behind where I want to sit and use VR. The only real issue I can think of with this setup will be getting the camera in front of you. Until people get their hands on those Oculus sensors and see how far they can extend that USB3 connection, it may be hard to know whether it would work in your setup or not. If you have to snake that cable all the way around the perimeter of your room, it might be too far to extend the USB3 connection, or might introduce too much latency into the system. You could go OVER and possibly mount the camera on the ceiling, but that's still pretty unsightly. So, maybe, but wait and see how other Oculus users cope with that distance issue.

Hopefully Oculus adopts Vive-style Inside-Out tracking for Rift 2, or they figure out how to do wireless sensors without introducing too much latency (unlikely).

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Whoaaa. The tables have turned indeed!

Not surprising, it's simply the best you can get for your money. About the same price as a Rift plus Touch but much more advanced (VR without actual 3D interaction is pointless). If you want to do VR, do it right and buy a Vive.

Durante

I have to admit that I will always be eternally grateful to Oculus for giving me a free Rift whoever ends up leading us into our bright VR future. Seeing people deliberate between the two headsets back and forth I'm glad that it's such a no brainer for me. Just keep the free one. The Vive may be $200 better than the Rift, but it sure as hell isn't $800 better.
It's a no-brainer for me too. Keep the free one (at least until the Oculus SDK support is hacked), buy the other one :p

I cant seem to load of the first page but if i play a game on psvr cinematic mode, is it full 1080p? Or is it 960x1080?
If you play a game in any VR cinema mode, it's closer to SD in effective spatial resolution than anything else.

viveks86

For those who plan to use both Vive and Rift, how do you plan to manage cabling? It's not going to be possible to have both plugged in simultaneously right? Do you plan to keep at least one headset always ready to go? Where will you keep the headset(s) when they are not in use?

Man, I hate the thought of having to swap/setup over and over :/

#FirstWorldProblems

For those who plan to use both Vive and Rift, how do you plan to manage cabling? It's not going to be possible to have both plugged in simultaneously right?
No reason it wouldn't be possible that I can think of. Most video cards have at least three video-out ports, so you can do triple monitor. And Vive only needs one USB port.

Durante

For those who plan to use both Vive and Rift, how do you plan to manage cabling? It's not going to be possible to have both plugged in simultaneously right? Do you plan to keep at least one headset always ready to go? Where will you keep the headset(s) when they are not in use?

#FirstWorldProblems
plan1grdk.png
The Rift will be in the PC room with the desk. The whole Vive setup will be in the VR room.

I don't really see why I couldn't keep both of them connected, I have the ports and turning on and off their respective services in software should be enough so that no game gets confused. At worst, plugging them in and out wouldn't be too bad :p

Zalusithix

#FirstWorldProblems

You could have them both connected at the same time easily enough with a simple HDMI switch. Heck, you might even be able to have both hooked up to different outputs on the GPU - assuming the software stacks play nice. The Vive is only going to need one USB port. You'll need a boatload of free USB ports for the Rift anyhow, so one more shouldn't be a problem. =P Just keep the lighthouses off when using the Rift, and the Rift headset off when using the Vive. Simple (if not expensive)!

Krejlooc

Banned

#FirstWorldProblems

My VR PC is on a little stand with rollers, and I have it so the plus are out in the open. It makes plugging and unpluggin VR cables a snap.

I'll just use whichever for whatever reasons. FWIW I have a dedicated sit-down room where the rift's camera goes, and a dedicated stand-up room where the lighthouse beacons go. For me, changing headsets is as easy as rolling the PC from one room to the other and plugging in the cables (and moving the boom rig that keeps the cables above me).

Sit down rift room:

XdQIAZ2.jpg

Stand up Vive room:

F3nEQfs.jpg

The Rift will be in the PC room with the desk. The whole Vive setup will be in the VR room.

I don't really see why I couldn't keep both of them connected, I have the ports and turning on and off their respective services in software should be enough so that no game gets confused. At worst, plugging them in and out wouldn't be too bad :p

Our set ups are functionally similar if logistically different. Do you have a TV or monitor in your VR room? I have a 50" TV in my VR room, and a 22" Monitor in my sit-down room.

Come on, plagiarize. I know you're a fervent supporter of Rift and I enjoy your long posts about that, but read again this phrase.

"Turkish government is not actively censoring the media, just advise them to not write bad things about the the government" (just as example)

We can debate semantics, but the truth is that Oculus advise against using room tracking for the games.

But you're right, the games will exists because they will developed for Vive and not locked behind a non open-source software.

There are already developers ignoring Oculus's advice on this and other things. Lots of games on the Gear VR store ignore some of the best practices. Some of the launch line up for the Rift do too.

It's a best practices thing, not a certification requirement.

There's a difference between advice and certification requirements. Oculus aren't telling developers *not* to make room scale games. They're encouraging them not to. Now naturally that will put at least some developers off of making such experiences, and if you plan to make room scale a key thing you do with your headset there is only one choice right now, and it's a great one.

Developers with touch controllers in hand are telling us they work for room scale just fine. I see no reason to ignore that, even if Oculus are encouraging them to cater to standing front facing experiences instead.

And I'm a fervent VR supporter. Yes, I really like the Rift and room scale remains a big unknown for me right now, both in how much I'll like it (since I've not yet had the pleasure of trying it) and whether or not I really have enough space to make an $800 investment (and since in my particular case my Rift is free, I would really just be spending $800 to play the room scale experiences the Rift can't yet do).

I've told many people that you can't know what VR is going to be like for you. You can imagine it, but there are so many factors and so many unknowables and it's such an experiential thing... that I'm not going to guess whether I'll like room scale or not until I try it.

Some people seem to be perfectly happy going back and playing VR games sat down with a controller after trying room scale, some people don't. Which will I be?

I can only speculate. I don't have to speculate that I really enjoy games like Herobound though, because I own it on Gear VR. I'm sure it comes across as a Vive vs Oculus bias, and I can't honestly say that isn't part of it, but I don't think it is.

What I find myself eager to defend are the types of VR games I've already played that didn't have 1 to 1 tracked motion controls. Even if the Vive was the only headset on the block I don't think that would be any different. Lucky's Tale looks fantastic. Chronos looks great too. My most anticipated game this year? Edge of Nowhere. If that was a Vive exclusive that wouldn't change.

I don't doubt that room scale VR will be a big segment of VR gaming until we have a method of letting people freely run around what feels like an infinite space without artificial inputs and that's years away at best. I'm just not sold on it yet because I haven't tried it.

I am sold on the controller / racing wheel stuff. Because I've been sampling such experiences for years.

Due to room scale currently being the USP of the Vive, that is the main thing being talked about in the press and on forums... but I really hope the other experiences don't get lost in the shuffle. I really hope that everyone who buys a Vive gives other types of experiences a chance... because I want VR gaming to be a wide segment containing third person titles, room scale titles, cockpit titles, and even artificial locomotion first person titles like Adr1ft and Minecraft, because they don't make me motion sick and I really enjoy the titles that play that way which I've already had a chance to play.

You won't see me telling people they shouldn't buy a Vive, because I want VR to succeed. Every headset sold, whichever brand it is, whatever my biases or personal preferences might be, is a win for the medium as a whole. You think you want to do roomscale? Get a Vive. You haven't got the space for it? But a Rift. You haven't got a high end PC? Buy a PSVR.

But give VR a chance. And embrace the breadth of experiences being made right now, rather than ruling out any that do or don't work better on a particular type of headset.

Valve are making some experiences that aren't 360 degree room scale things. Because it doesn't make sense to make everything 360 degrees and room scale. Between the two launch line ups I'm really encouraged by the wide variety of what's on offer.

I hope all kinds of VR thrive, because if people don't make games like Lucky's Tale or Herobound or first person games where you use a controller or keyboard to explore an environment larger than a room... that'd be a real missed opportunity.

That's how I feel.

Doom.

Banned
Put it as a sculpture. Are you only going to sculpt the front of the rock or you going to make statue

viveks86

Oh. So all of you are going to have both plugged in??!

Geez. I'm gonna need that PCI express USB card and the HDMI switch

My VR setup for both headsets will be in my living room. I can't drill holes for cable management. There will be wires everywhere. EVERYWHERE!

Oh dear what have I done...

It's a no-brainer for me too. Keep the free one (at least until the Oculus SDK support is hacked), buy the other one :p

Right now I'm trying to figure out where I get the $15 from to buy Pinball FX 2 VR. Our mortgage application is being underwritten right now and we close on the 14th. Damn closing costs.

This time last year, I'd have not only bought the Vive, I'd be firmly planning on buying the PSVR too. As it is, I'm hoping to stretch to a PSVR when it launches in October since I have the camera and the move controllers and since it's likely to have the best exclusive line up...

And hoping I can get the touch controllers too to at least do 'budget' room scale. That could all get thrown out the window when I actually try the Vive. Fortunately I talked my friend with the Vive pre-order to take back the gaming laptop he'd bought and buy himself an appropriate desktop. I'm really looking forwards to trying it out. Just hoping it doesn't make regular VR seem lame in comparison.

That the Tested guys still seemed so enthused by the Oculus line up even though they've had plenty of Vive experience at least shows that not everyone is going to find that room scale overshadows everything else.

Onemic

Woah woah woah, in the lucky stale thread there is dolphin VR, Metroid Prime in VR?!?!?? Wtf?!???!??????

When did this happen?! Explain this to me now. I need all the info immediately. How does a wiimote work on a PC and with VR?

I'd like to know this as well

I don't doubt that room scale VR will be a big segment of VR gaming until we have a method of letting people freely run around what feels like an infinite space without artificial inputs and that's years away at best. I'm just not sold on it yet because I haven't tried it.

Let us all agree that VR is a medium that requires seeing to believe. So it's unfortunate that you haven't tried room scale so that you too can understand why so many journalists and gamers are placing the Vive on the top of the proverbial mountain specifically because of the room scale it will offer.

Apparently you don't need to run around freely and you shouldn't feel the need to do that mentally put it on that far off island to avoid the possibility that you may like it as it is. It's good *right now* and its in people's homes *right now*. Youtube is filling up with these Pre owners and journalists from GDC talking about all VR headsets, but Vive in particular.

There's no reason to feel worry or any sort of second thoughts about your chosen investment; there's no reason to believe it won't be a great experience, especially with so many of its games in development for years and showing associated polish at launch. That said, we all know software exclusivity doesn't mean shit on PC, the platform that defines "life finds a way" by mod, homebrew or otherwise...and room scale is making grown men giggle like children. The sooner Rift gets proper Touch, the sooner we can move on a bigger focus from developers on the experiences that people immediately refer to as the "game changer": room scale VR. And maybe then you can believe it and realize it's not "years" off into the future and requires the ability to run and jump.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'd like to know this as well

you connect it via bluetooth

you need an AR code to disable off-screen culling

then you just run the game in VR using a VR headset

it's not that great because you can only face forward. If the wiimote tracked in 360 degrees it'd be phenomenal. IMO F-Zero GX is a better VR game. F-Zero in VR is sooooooo fast.

F-Zero GX in VR

Metroid Prime VR

Both of these are really old, they work better now. I'm not using the culling-disabling AR code in that video (this was before that code was developed). It's pretty cool how the enemies are like the size of dogs IRL, however. They feel huge.

Zalusithix

That the Tested guys still seemed so enthused by the Oculus line up even though they've had plenty of Vive experience at least shows that not everyone is going to find that room scale overshadows everything else.

To me, claiming room scale will overshadow everything else is like claiming RPGs will overshadow RTSs or something. Roomscale and seated will just be different experiences. It's entirely possible you'll be in the mood for room scale one day and seated the next. I mean, it is possible an individual will prefer one to the exclusion of the other, but I imagine most people will be able to find fun in both. Having the ability to choose is going to be the key for VR going forward.

In the very least, getting rid of seated experiences would kill cockpit sims, and that's an over my dead body situation. =P

fred

No one knows.
I'm betting somewhere between $100-130

Speaking of controls. Is anyone planning or already have a HOTAS flightstick for their VR? I'm thinking of getting an X52 or something similar for Eve Valkyrie.

I bought a Thrustmaster T-Flight X HOTAS a while back, using Flubit I managed to get it for £26 or so. Worth every penny. Check out the reviews for it, after using it I'd be quite happy to have spent twice as much money on it!

And anyone wanting an entry level steering wheel controller should look no further than the Thrustmaster T150. No clutch, no gear stick but the FFB is fantastic. I bought it on the strength of my experience with their HOTAS and wasn't disappointed. Managed to get a new one on eBay for 90 quid.

Wallach

To me, claiming room scale will overshadow everything else is like claiming RPGs will overshadow RTSs or something. Roomscale and seated will just be different experiences. It's entirely possible you'll be in the mood for room scale one day and seated the next. I mean, it is possible an individual will prefer one to the exclusion of the other, but I imagine most people will be able to find fun in both. Having the ability to choose is going to be the key for VR going forward.

In the very least, getting rid of seated experiences would kill cockpit sims, and that's an over my dead body situation. =P

That's the right way to look at things, really. You want developers investing into and exploring literally every which way they can think of to create interesting VR software. It's hard for me to imagine a situation where room scale really becomes the majority of VR software development even going forward beyond this first generation of HMDs (though I think it will certainly be the minority here at the outset). It's impossible to predict what might really become breakout software in this space, and really there is no incentive to ignore any aspect of software development in VR whether it fully exploits the capabilities of the technology or not.

Top Bottom