• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ok, so shopping list of best things to take from this gen for gen 2:
- oculus or possibly PSVR optics and screen door
- Vive's tracking
- probably Oculus touch controllers
- PSVR headset attachment mechanism
- I like the PSVR breakout box with HDMI out for social screen. Makes it simpler to move it around the house even if you were using a PC.
- Valve's chaperone model
- Vive's front facing camera

- nobody's screen because we'd want higher res ones.
- don't know about IPD adjustment. Ideally it'd be automatic but otheriwse the Vive seems more fine-grained but haven't heard enough about Vive & OR for this area.

Mikeside

I want more from Gen 2 than just the cream of Gen 1 with higher resolution

How about amazing hand tracking, wireless (looks possible according to Serious Simulations) and all the other things that could develop/advance in 2-3 years?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
- Vive's tracking
- I like the PSVR breakout box with HDMI out for social screen. Makes it simpler to move it around the house even if you were using a PC.

- don't know about IPD adjustment. Ideally it'd be automatic but otheriwse the Vive seems more fine-grained but haven't heard enough about Vive & OR for this area.
Oculus sound seems more advanced at this stage too, doesn't it?

Still I value Vive´s tracking the most. That's what amazes me the most with these first VR experiences.

UnrealEck

It makes more sense to focus on seated/standing and move to something like lighthouse for gen-2/3.

Standing is fine. I just hope it's not literally mostly standing. A bit of mobility will be nice. A couple of steps from the centre. 360 is really important to me because then you're able to interact with more of the environment and see more of it.

Maybe a lot of the differences will get blurred even more when Touch comes out because it's PC. People will probably start getting 360 degrees in Job Simulator on Rift (if it's not supported that is). Or Touch controllers to work with the Vive headset and system (if that's possible with the tracking).
I saw people sticking cameras to their DK2s before and using them to track their own hands by putting white gloves on.

Still I value Vive´s tracking the most. That's what amazes me the most with these first VR experiences.

It seems Vive has the edge in tracking and the fact it comes with the proper VR control scheme. This is a pretty substantial plus point though.
Other than that, Rift seems to edge it in everything else slightly.

Palmer has posted on Reddit saying they're working on the whole C:\ drive issue for games.
Palmer Luckey said:
This is near the very top of our roadmap, but other features took priority for launch. Getting this working is non-trivial for a lot of reasons, but we will be getting it out ASAP. In the meanwhile, we are going to post some workarounds - we are still in the process of rolling out our support pages, don't take anything as final yet.

EVIL

Vive has better tracking, chaperone system which uses its intigrated camera, which in turn can later be used by devs to do some fun AR stuff. The vive is much more complete in features then oculus

GeoGonzo

For v2 I want retina tracking and (naturally) foveated rendering on a 4K screen, honestly. I wonder if that's realistic for 2018-2019. It should be, right?

- Vive's tracking

Oculus fabric for the headset, maybe. That sounds quite nice.

For v2 I want retina tracking and (naturally) foveated rendering on a 4K screen, honestly. I wonder if that's realistic for 2018-2019. It should be, right?

If not by then, not too much later... but obviously we'll still all need very high end GPUs to drive such a headset. Part of what gives me hope that the Vive 1 and Rift 1 will get a decent length of support is that I imagine HTC and Oculus are going to improve the resolution of the panels in their successors and that they will keep the gen 1 headsets around to support mid range, or whatever a 970 is considered by then.

4K screens will be everywhere by then. Sony has a 5.5" 4K one now. I don't know enough about the status as of retinal tracking with fovated rendering progress but the concept does sound enticing since you could use the current min cards now even then at 4K at 90hz without much a problem since just a small amount of the screen would be needed at full resolution..

Pre-Order made for Vive. Still got a lot of information gathering and I'm trying to source an overhead cable solution, the ceilings are 3m high. My pals an electrician in a shop fitting business so I'm convinced he must have a ducting solution that I can use to keep the cables away from legs and feet. A local computer builder is giving me a price for a couple of PCs and going to visit my office to advise on a networking solution alongside my current network. It's still in the potential business opportunity bracket however given that I already have the space and I'm already paying for it. It seems quite feasible.

Access is still the issue I have because I don't want to bring customers through my main shop front and the rear door needs cleaned up and further secured.

Qassim

Pre-Order made for Vive. Still got a lot of information gathering and I'm trying to source an overhead cable solution, the ceilings are 3m high. My pals an electrician in a shop fitting business so I'm convinced he must have a ducting solution that I can use to keep the cables away from legs and feet. A local computer builder is giving me a price for a couple of PCs and going to visit my office to advise on a networking solution alongside my current network. It's still in the potential business opportunity bracket however given that I already have the space and I'm already paying for it. It seems quite feasible.

Access is still the issue I have because I don't want to bring customers through my main shop front and the rear door needs cleaned up and further secured.

If all else fails, this company (famous for the treadmill bowl type thing they made for VR has a cable boom made for VR, annoyingly it doesn't say how tall it is, but it's not all that expensive.

It's at the very bottom of the page.
http://www.virtuix.com/products/

quesalupa

I rip using makeMkV and then encode as SBS using BDRebuilder. I've tried other tools but had issues with playback on xbox one. BDRebuilder seems to work best for me.

Try and avoid movies with subtitles until you're comfortable with the process though ;)
Thank you, you amazing person.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If not by then, not too much later... but obviously we'll still all need very high end GPUs to drive such a headset. Part of what gives me hope that the Vive 1 and Rift 1 will get a decent length of support is that I imagine HTC and Oculus are going to improve the resolution of the panels in their successors and that they will keep the gen 1 headsets around to support mid range, or whatever a 970 is considered by then.

I'm hoping if the 970 level sticks (for this gen of cards) then the price should come down nicely when 16nm hits. hopefully the headsets come down in price too. A $400 OR (headset only, no xbox controller or touch) plus a $150 970 equivalent would be good.

Likewise I'm hoping that 16nm will help with 2nd gen. Might be mid-end of 2017 by the time mature '1080ti' cards come out, and maybe end of 2018 for the follow ups (Volta for Nvidia?). That could be enough time for a mature node shrink plus development on top of that for a nice increase in performance, enough to drive 2-4k per eye with foveated rendering.

for cable issues, I wonder if giving yourself a 'horses tail' would be a good option? A ceiling approach sounds like it'd get tangled in your arms quickly when the cable is in front of you. something that can carry the cable down your back and out an arms length would prevent you tangling it with your arms, and could keep it away from your feet enough to prevent tangling there too.

In the short term I think routing the cable through your belt as a strain reliever could be useful - so if you do tread on it you aren't tugging the headset directly.

I certainly think we'll see a ton of interesting ideas and mods for cable management.

Yoritomo

I'm hoping if the 970 level sticks (for this gen of cards) then the price should come down nicely when 16nm hits. hopefully the headsets come down in price too. A $400 OR (headset only, no xbox controller or touch) plus a $150 970 equivalent would be good.

Likewise I'm hoping that 16nm will help with 2nd gen. Might be mid-end of 2017 by the time mature '1080ti' cards come out, and maybe end of 2018 for the follow ups (Volta for Nvidia?). That could be enough time for a mature node shrink plus development on top of that for a nice increase in performance, enough to drive 2-4k per eye with foveated rendering.

for cable issues, I wonder if giving yourself a 'horses tail' would be a good option? A ceiling approach sounds like it'd get tangled in your arms quickly when the cable is in front of you. something that can carry the cable down your back and out an arms length would prevent you tangling it with your arms, and could keep it away from your feet enough to prevent tangling there too.

In the short term I think routing the cable through your belt as a strain reliever could be useful - so if you do tread on it you aren't tugging the headset directly.

I certainly think we'll see a ton of interesting ideas and mods for cable management.

Yeah I'm going to be using a belt clip for the headset cabling, but that might just put things in close proximity to a leg. Hopefully everyone will be sharing their setup so I can take other people's good ideas for cable management.

I need to order some tripod heads so I can angle the lighthouse base stations appropriately.

cakefoo

how many buttons do the vive controllers have for use in game? I think there are some that bring up the camera view, or the steam overlay, so what are usable for games? I know that 'less is more' but hoping it at least has more than just the trigger and side grips?
The touchpads can function as buttons as well, with each quadrant having a different purpose.

Z3M0G

Are there good videos of the OS interface for each of the headsets?

Do we know anything about the PSVR OS interface yet?

OK, all three headsets preordered now. I am expecting my Oculus Rift to ship the 28th, but I think I'll be in the second wave for the HTC Vive since, due to website errors, I couldn't get my order to go in until 17 minutes in. I'll be getting my PlayStation VR the day it comes out. I'll just need to remember to change the shipping address after I move and know where I'll be at the time.

OK, all three headsets preordered now. I am expecting my Oculus Rift to ship the 28th, but I think I'll be in the second wave for the HTC Vive since, due to website errors, I couldn't get my order to go in until 17 minutes in. I'll be getting my PlayStation VR the day it comes out. I'll just need to remember to change the shipping address after I move and know where I'll be at the time.

Goodbye real world.

I have two out of three, that ain't bad.

Zalusithix

As for fancy motor aided cable management goes, I've mentally simplified the overhead circle cutter method. Down to one motor now and it doesn't care any longer about where you are in the play area - just the direction you're facing. This makes it trivial to have the positioning independent of the VR tracking. The concept also moves to being floor mounted instead of ceiling mounted. Downside is that the cables need to be as long as the diameter of the play area and not the radius.

Essentially it'd consist of one gantry that rides a circular rail that encloses the play area and is propelled by a drive wheel against that rail. Power is supplied by the rail. It'll constantly move to the side of the circle that is opposite of where the player is facing. The cable will go to a reel on that gantry that has just enough tension to pull in the slack along the ground.

Now a powered circular rail is much harder to implement from a hobbyist perspective than an arm rotating on an axis, so the overhead method could still be used. One bar rotating from the center where the length is the radius of the play area with another bar coming straight down at the end of it. Downward vertical bar stops slightly above the floor. Mount the retracting reel to that. Downside is the increased weight of the setup would have increased inertia and require a beefier motor. Still solvable though.

Slowly getting closer to a solution that might be actually be plausible for a hobbyist without costing a fortune.

pj

Banned
Vive has better tracking, chaperone system which uses its intigrated camera, which in turn can later be used by devs to do some fun AR stuff. The vive is much more complete in features then oculus

Chaperone doesn't use the camera, and it works with rift. "Tron mode" uses the camera, but that's not an essential part of chaperone.

Onemic

If my credit card was cancelled and I received a new one, can I just update my billing info for my vive preorder or do I have to cancel the preorder and go to the back of the line?

Yoritomo

OK got all three ordered! Now to tell my wife that doesnt know about any of them......

Wife is the only reason I went with just one headset. I bought a sports car 6 months ago, she'd be so pissed if I bought all three headsets before we hired a contractor to redo the master bathroom.

BrettWeir

Not seeing much in the way of "must haves" on day one, outside of games. What are everyones suggestions for both Rift and Vive?

All I know about is Virtual Desktop? What about other software that will make existing games playable in VR?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OK got all three ordered! Now to tell my wife that doesnt know about any of them......

snakesalute.gif

I was telling my wife about the vive at the weekend and she just said 'what do you want that for, what a waste of money'. I then explained that I was getting a rift for free and I could probably sell that to pay for the vive, so it would be no cost. She just said "why don't you sell it anyway and just put the money in savings".

Sigh.

She hated DK1 and hates games and tech generally (she is the most analogue person I've ever met). But she wobbled with Wii Boxing after she punched my lights out, and I'm hoping something....anything..in VR will be interesting to her.

TheRed

I really can't afford throwing in $200 more for the vive even though I really want to experience rooms scale. But I'm sure the Rift will blow me away anyways since it'll be my first time in VR. Also I'll have something to be excited for whenever I get to upgrade to room scale and hopefully there will be a lot more great experiences for room scale by that time.

aajohnny

I feel screwed now... I want to get a headset but my computer desk is in front of my bed and I don't have much room at all to move :(

Zalusithix

I feel screwed now... I want to get a headset but my computer desk is in front of my bed and I don't have much room at all to move :(

You can still do standing and seated VR. Even roomscale doesn't require a massive amount of space if you go with the minimum recommended area.

Edit:
To counter the "buy a rift" statements, the Vive can do standing out of the box. With the Rift you'll be waiting months. It's not really as simple as no roomscale, get a Rift. Well, unless you don't plan on getting a headset for some time. I don't want to predict the future.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is it just me, or are there a surprising amount of vive's in the hands of random youtubers and twitchers? Not even ones with large numbers of subscribers. If you have that many to go round HTC, just ship the bloody things.

Sky Chief

Not seeing much in the way of "must haves" on day one, outside of games. What are everyones suggestions for both Rift and Vive?

All I know about is Virtual Desktop? What about other software that will make existing games playable in VR?

The Apollo 11 demo is probably my favorite VR experience and it looks like the full thing will be out at launch. In my opinion it's a must have title. VR education is going to be huge.

is it just me, or are there a surprising amount of vive's in the hands of random youtubers and twitchers? Not even ones with large numbers of subscribers. If you have that many to go round HTC, just ship the bloody things.

Does anyone know if these ship on the 28th and the 5th respectively. Or they will begin to deliver on these dates?

Sky Chief

Those are Vive Pre's, not the final consumer model

I'm debating whether I'm better off getting the PSVR when it launches or just saving up and getting a Vive around the same time. If price isn't an issue is the Vive the better choice?

I'd rather the Vive than Oculus but the price of the PSVR is pretty attractive. Can't wait for VR either way.

Nzyme32

They are Vive Pre headsets rather than the consumer version. I imagine they planned things out so they could market them a fair bit / provide for some developers.

Also in the SteamVR roundtable discussion, They mentions the plan was to get the headsets to good content creators and let them do whatever they want to demonstrate them.

Zalusithix

Those are Vive Pre's, not the final consumer model

Even if they were the final model, they could probably give one to every minor streamer and still not ship a fraction of what the first consumer wave will have. There's not that many streamers. Certainly not relative to general consumers.

I'm debating whether I'm better off getting the PSVR when it launches or just saving up and getting a Vive around the same time. If price isn't an issue is the Vive the better choice?

I'd rather the Vive than Oculus but the price of the PSVR is pretty attractive. Can't wait for VR either way.

Can you run the VIVE? If so I would think this as a no brainer if you can. Open system with way more applications or just what sony decides to offer?

Cartman86

Banned
how many buttons do the vive controllers have for use in game? I think there are some that bring up the camera view, or the steam overlay, so what are usable for games? I know that 'less is more' but hoping it at least has more than just the trigger and side grips?

Menu button
Touch pad with click and quadrants
Trigger (two stages)
Grips

Steam button (Can't use)

there are a lot and it's a good thing. the more VR we get to see and hear about the better.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

If you must, get a rift. I'm sure you could work something out with the Vive.

I have plenty of room and I'm still choosing the Rift over the Vive.

wazoo

I really can't afford throwing in $200 more for the vive even though I really want to experience rooms scale. But I'm sure the Rift will blow me away anyways since it'll be my first time in VR. Also I'll have something to be excited for whenever I get to upgrade to room scale and hopefully there will be a lot more great experiences for room scale by that time.

The thing is "upgrading to Room scale" may cost you more than 200$ depending on your first choice.

Can you run the VIVE? If so I would think this as a no brainer if you can. Open system with way more applications or just what sony decides to offer?

Yeah it shouldn't be an issue. 4790k and a GTX 980.

I think you're right though, I might just save and get a Vive around the time PSVR comes out. Hopefully it's easier to get a hold of one by that time.

Top Bottom