• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Nzyme32

how many buttons do the vive controllers have for use in game? I think there are some that bring up the camera view, or the steam overlay, so what are usable for games? I know that 'less is more' but hoping it at least has more than just the trigger and side grips?

Just triggers (dual stage) grips, and touchpad (which in itself can have all kinds of modes and functions). They decided everything should be gestural or a physical interaction with the VR world as opposed to button abstracting actions, which definitely makes a ton of sense to me.

Yeah it shouldn't be an issue. 4790k and a GTX 980.

I think you're right though, I might just save and get a Vive around the time PSVR comes out. Hopefully it's easier to get a hold of one by that time.

Well you can always track to see if there is a waitlist. Just plan it out. ie If August has a October release date order in August. But I dont know if that will be an issue isnt the VIVE just waitlisted till May right now anyhow.

TheRed

The thing is "upgrading to Room scale" may cost you more than 200$ depending on your first choice.
Why is that? I'm hoping when touch comes out it wouldn't be any more than $200 and by then I should have money for it. I'm not convinced it can provide as good of an experience as the vive with its tracking but at that time there should be a lot of comparisons to decide if I want to buy the touch or sell the Rift and go for vive if I really need to experience the motion controls. But at this time the Rift is all I can barely afford as a poor college student. So excited for next week!

Jams775

Just triggers (dual stage) grips, and touchpad (which in itself can have all kinds of modes and functions). They decided everything should be gestural or a physical interaction with the VR world as opposed to button abstracting actions, which definitely makes a ton of sense to me.

Makes the most sense for sure and it's not like you can't use a regular controller if you are playing a sit down experience anyways.

Nzyme32

Makes the most sense for sure and it's not like you can't use a regular controller if you are playing a sit down experience anyways.

Moreover, it's perfectly possible to make an in-game UI around the player for a variety of gestural systems. Quite interested in seeing what could be done with RTS for example in VR. I know that Vanishing Realms (an RPG) is doing something similar but hides the UI out of player view unless they look down for it, which apparently works out really well.

Zalusithix

Why is that? I'm hoping when touch comes out it wouldn't be any more than $200 and by then I should have money for it.

Additional camera plus two high end controllers. Who knows how much they'll charge for that. Then add shipping if they're not available in stores right away. I'm not claiming they'll be more than $200. It's just another unknown in the Rift corner.

marjo

Can you use the touchpad as an analog input and 4 clickable buttons at the same time? Or is it only 1 or the other?

Jams775

Moreover, it's perfectly possible to make an in-game UI around the player for a variety of gestural systems. Quite interested in seeing what could be done with RTS for example in VR. I know that Vanishing Realms (an RPG) is doing something similar but hides the UI out of player view unless they look down for it, which apparently works out really well.

I'd imagine you could also use a single controller like a mouse. When you'd hit the menu button to bring up a floating UI then use the controller as a pointer (which I've seen done already).

It's going to be really exciting to see what people come up with.

I wish there was more info about Vanishing Realms. Has anyone tried something like holstering say a sword where your hip would be in relation to your head? So you could look down at it and grab it? I'd imagine something like that could work too. (I could have sworn I heard something like that about Vanishing Realms)

TheRed

Additional camera plus two high end controllers. Who knows how much they'll charge for that. Then add shipping if they're not available in stores right away. I'm not claiming they'll be more than $200. It's just another unknown in the Rift corner.
I guess but I think it'd be really stupid if they price their whole package to be more than the vive especially if their tracking can still be argued to be inferior to the Vive. True that if I decide to sell the Rift for vive then I might not get all of my money back and then the upgrade would be more than $200 but I'm okay with that I'm sure I'm gonna love a lot of the games on Rift and if touch turns out great I won't have to switch.

Zalusithix

Can you use the touchpad as an analog input and 4 clickable buttons at the same time? Or is it only 1 or the other?

The pad physically pushes down, so you could use it as both. Nothing stopping devs from overloading the functionality either. IE: Functions change when grip button is squeezed or something similar.

Trading money for fun :D

I also have all 3 on pre-order because I'm cool with the fact that they'll all be outdated in a matter of months but to each his own.

I've mostly convinced myself roomscale is something to try as soon as possible.

PSVR being so far away, who knows if I'll keep that order.

With Oculus, I just can't bring myself to cancel it. And it's a 27, so, it'd basically show up around the time of the Vive.

Wife is the only reason I went with just one headset. I bought a sports car 6 months ago, she'd be so pissed if I bought all three headsets before we hired a contractor to redo the master bathroom.

I'm getting similar grief, we're off to Florida from the Uk in a fortnight, moving house in 10 weeks and I've got the psvr on order. I've now dropped the Vive pre order on her, and she maintains I've come up with a Vive business model just so I can talk my way round a high end of and VR system.

She knows me so well!

I've mostly convinced myself roomscale is something to try as soon as possible.

PSVR being so far away, who knows if I'll keep that order.

With Oculus, I just can't bring myself to cancel it. And it's a 27, so, it'd basically show up around the time of the Vive.

Those are all fair points, I'm really looking forward to the unique experiences they'll each provide.

Roomscale is something I'm very interested in, but I also love 3d platformers so I can't miss out on Luckys Tale, and DOAX3/Summer Lesson are my personal "killer apps" for PSVR.

parabolee

Sorry if I missed it but has anyone who has tried all three commented on how the screen quality compares.

I had a Rift Dev Kit 1 and have a Gear VR and my biggest concern is the so called "screen door effect". Would love to know which of the three have overcome this the most.

Thanks

Sorry if I missed it but has anyone who has tried all three commented on how the screen quality compares.

I had a Rift Dev Kit 1 and have a Gear VR and my biggest concern is the so called "screen door effect". Would love to know which of the three have overcome this the most.

Thanks

By all reports, the consumer Rift has the least screen door effect due to its optics.

I guess but I think it'd be really stupid if they price their whole package to be more than the vive especially if their tracking can still be argued to be inferior to the Vive. True that if I decide to sell the Rift for vive then I might not get all of my money back and then the upgrade would be more than $200 but I'm okay with that I'm sure I'm gonna love a lot of the games on Rift and if touch turns out great I won't have to switch.

There is also the question of whether or not you will be able to play those Rift games on the Vive if you switch later. Hopefully Oculus opens up and you can but at this point it's any ones guess.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

Thanks

Most reports have been that the Rift CV1 has done the best at diminishing the SDE.

However, I have seen a report or two from journalist saying the Vive. I think a lot of it comes down to what they were demoing.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. SDE will be present by should be WAAAY better than DK1 and Gear based on the custom displays they are using.

Zalusithix

Damaged Core reminds me of a fantasy game concept I had years ago where you were an incorporeal entity that could could affect the world via possession of other people. The possession would grant them abilities they normally wouldn't have (and differ by person). Granted, restricted movement wasn't part of it, but still... Just reminds me of it.

I wonder if the concept can be extended to room scale with a bit more flexibility. You're tracked 1:1 while possessing others, much like this game. The room bounds, however, provide a boundary in which you can move and still have control of the person. Upon releasing the person you teleport skyward and have a God view of an expanded area where you walk around and choose another target. (Like walking around a Lego land as a human.)

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Just a question. Those 360 Videos on YouTube, do they offer depth when viewing them in a VR headset?

There are ways to currently watch them however, they are not 3D. Just 360. So there is no depth. I've watched a few using Virtual Desktop but it isn't that great of an experience.

There are a few 360 3D videos that are available to watch on Google Cardboard. It isn't popular though.

You can't move as it's a controller game. Maybe if they implement Touch support or bring it to the Vive.
...or design it so you can move. You don't need a motion controller or a second camera to duck and dodge, the headset knows if the user is ducking or leaning. There's an old arcade game, Police 911 or something, designed around that, a cover-shooter where you duck behind cover and can stand up, shoot, then duck back. Great fun but very tiring.

Monger

snakesalute.gif

I was telling my wife about the vive at the weekend and she just said 'what do you want that for, what a waste of money'. I then explained that I was getting a rift for free and I could probably sell that to pay for the vive, so it would be no cost. She just said "why don't you sell it anyway and just put the money in savings".

Sigh.

She hated DK1 and hates games and tech generally (she is the most analogue person I've ever met). But she wobbled with Wii Boxing after she punched my lights out, and I'm hoping something....anything..in VR will be interesting to her.

My wife doesn't play games either. She'll play some Mario coop or phone game, but that's about it. Unless it's a motion game like a Kinect Dancing game or Wii Sports. She'll be all over those. She doesn't say things like that to me though. o_O

Definitely show her the Vive first. I didn't care about video games until I tried the HTC Vive Maybe some Ninja Trainer or Job Simulator to start with. Also, if you have a group of friends that you hang out with, having them over for Vive parties would be a lot of fun.

The thing is "upgrading to Room scale" may cost you more than 200$ depending on your first choice.
Why would it cost more than $200? You're the very first person I've heard think that the Touch would cost *more* than $200. I mean, it's just another cheap camera and a couple controllers. $200 I could see but not more.

Seems like the comfort of the PSVR is making media take notice:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidth...s-a-huge-win-for-playstation-vr/#1325a0f11393

Similarly UploadVR put the PSVR comfort (and RIGS) on their short list of best GDC VR moments: http://uploadvr.com/the-6-most-important-vr-experiences-at-gdc/

This just makes me want to wait for the newer versions of Occulus/Vive. The PSVR comfort and ease of use has been praised from the beginning. I'm not sold on PSVR capabilities though. I'm midway through a PC upgrade. I got the 6600K so now I just need a new GPU. Aiming for 980 level performance and waiting for Pascal/Polaris.

Seiru

Banned
This just makes me want to wait for the newer versions of Occulus/Vive. The PSVR comfort and ease of use has been praised from the beginning. I'm not sold on PSVR capabilities though. I'm midway through a PC upgrade. I got the 6600K so now I just need a new GPU. Aiming for 980 level performance and waiting for Pascal/Polaris.

I mean, to be fair we've also heard a lot of good things about the comfort of CV1. Some people have said it's even more comfortable than PSVR, and the built-in headphones are actually a huge deal in how easy it is to put the headset on and take it off.

Durante

is it just me, or are there a surprising amount of vive's in the hands of random youtubers and twitchers? Not even ones with large numbers of subscribers. If you have that many to go round HTC, just ship the bloody things.
Yeah, Valve/HTC did a better last-minute marketing push than I expected from what came before. Rather impressive. (The software ease of use on the SteamVR side also surprised me, or at least what you can tell about it with a DK2)

Pollen is coming out on 20th April it seems:

pollen-vr-1429111342-H24L-column-width-inline.jpg

pollen.png

At SXSW Gaming, the release date is now listed as April 20th, but I heard there's still some last-minute bug-squashing to do!

Pax Mantis [Entwickler] Vor 17 Minuten
Hey, that was supposed to be a secret! :D Lets say that "this might be true!"
We will officially say the release date in couple of days.

Pax Mantis [Entwickler] Vor 16 Minuten
For OP: We will release the game with VR Beta which means OR support will be there, Vive HMD support very likely (depends alot on the unity native support) and hand controls soon after. We will also continue to add different movement modes like teleprotation.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/393750/discussions/0/412448792356159965/?tscn=1458665437

snakesalute.gif

I was telling my wife about the vive at the weekend and she just said 'what do you want that for, what a waste of money'. I then explained that I was getting a rift for free and I could probably sell that to pay for the vive, so it would be no cost. She just said "why don't you sell it anyway and just put the money in savings".

Sigh.

She hated DK1 and hates games and tech generally (she is the most analogue person I've ever met). But she wobbled with Wii Boxing after she punched my lights out, and I'm hoping something....anything..in VR will be interesting to her.

Hearing stuff like this is a bummer. I have a guy at work and maybe it's not as bad as it sounds, but he says things like "My wife let me buy a new PC". Meanwhile he's the sole earner. Like I understand the need for compromise and working together to budget, but sometimes you just have to treat yourself. Without feeling guilty.

Durante

I don't know if this was common knowledge, but I just found out that one of the lighthouse engineers at Valve (Alan Yates) posts about it on reddit quite frequently.

Some interesting stuff I wasn't aware of before:
No, the dimples are not essential features, in fact they can be problematic. The original controller had the photodiodes flush with the surface as did our prototype HMDs. [He then explains that there are various tradeoffs involved. Well, that's engineering]

When you design a tracked object you need to consider the field of view of each sensor (about 120-140 degrees for a typical bare photodiode sensor which is basically a planar device with Lambertian response), so the position and orientation of each sensor is important for getting optimal coverage with a given number of sensors. One thing to consider when sizing the receiver system is that for an N sensor object you may get N sync pulses in some environments because even shadowed sensors can see sync scattering off the walls.
[...]
To bootstrap full-pose tracking you need 5 sensors visible to one base (or 4 with an IMU), so that is a constraint too. One incredibly smart chap here wrote an amazing tool which can take arbitrary geometry as an STL file and automatically place sensors on it, modelling the optimised results using the actual system parameters (noise, sensor field of view, etc). [...] We will document and release this tool at some point.
[...]
The most minimal receiver possible is obviously one sensor which again would need to be designed to have almost 4pi steradian coverage and would not give full pose, only position (an IMU might be used for orientation with respect to local gravity).[...]

The basic hardware for tracking using current generation Lighthouse is pretty basic; an USB-capable MCU such as the NXP LPC11U3x series, a high quality six-axis IMU like an Invensense 6K series, a small FPGA such as a Lattice ICE40 series and the BPW34 photodiodes and their sensor amplifiers (which can be implemented with six transistors and a moderately fast comparator, or other ways).

The slaved base (mode "c") syncs continuously against the master, using each sync it can to keep locked. The time bases of each base are close, but not exactly the same and the sync requirements are pretty high, so we can't just take one measurement at boot, it has to keep locked on. How long it can go without sync depends on how much the time bases are drifting relative to each other, but at the moment the slaved base will give up after a short interval of not seeing the master.

The path between the master and the slave can sometimes be non-LOS, the sync is pretty bright and the sensors are pretty sensitive so bounces from the environment can allow interbase optical sync even when they can't directly see each other.

[regarding base station power cord lengths] The mass production units are 2900 mm ~9.5 feet long, I measured one 10 minutes ago. (Although I have only personally seen the US market ones), Ratings are 12 volts DC, 2 amps. Right-angle 2.1 mm DC barrel jack, centre-positive.

Room setup is very quick, you can click around the space with a controller in less than a minute.

Lighthouse doesn't have a volume calibration process like mocap and similar systems do, the metric space of each lighthouse is factory calibrated, as are the tracked objects. As currently implemented the system rapidly learns the position of the base stations, and scale is determined in real physical units from the tracked object calibration. The coordinate system is established against the 1st base it sees, everything is relative to that and it can tell if a base has been moved appreciably.

Well, I thought all of that was fascinating.

Thanati

Some interesting news regarding the Rift.

1 - It stores everything on the C drive.

Ok, i'm screwed. I have my OS on my C drive and everything else goes on my second drive. Not sure I can free up that much space.

2 - I use a HDMI cable to connect to my monitor.

Err, apparently I can't use a HDMI adapter now. Right...So, I either have to plug and unplug all the time or get a fix for my monitor.

http://imgur.com/U87yNuA

These seem like two big issues to me.

Urgh.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hearing stuff like this is a bummer. I have a guy at work and maybe it's not as bad as it sounds, but he says things like "My wife let me buy a new PC". Meanwhile he's the sole earner. Like I understand the need for compromise and working together to budget, but sometimes you just have to treat yourself. Without feeling guilty.

I do treat myself quite a lot though. Usually my wife says those things to appeal to my commonsense (of which I have little) and then rolls her eyes when I buy it anyway..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't know if this was common knowledge, but I just found out that one of the lighthouse engineers at Valve (Alan Yates) posts about it on reddit quite frequently.

This bit
[...]
To bootstrap full-pose tracking you need 5 sensors visible to one base (or 4 with an IMU), so that is a constraint too. One incredibly smart chap here wrote an amazing tool which can take arbitrary geometry as an STL file and automatically place sensors on it, modelling the optimised results using the actual system parameters (noise, sensor field of view, etc). [...] We will document and release this tool at some point.
[...]
The most minimal receiver possible is obviously one sensor which again would need to be designed to have almost 4pi steradian coverage and would not give full pose, only position (an IMU might be used for orientation with respect to local gravity).[...]

is interesting for two reasons to me. First - the guy that wrote that 'optimal placement of sensors for any given 3D model' is a genius. Second - they talk about needing 4 sensors to see a lighthouse, plus IMU data to get full pose information (or 5 sensors alone). That seems surprisingly high. So how does move get away with only having effectively one point of reference (the glowing orb) which by Valve's comments should only provide position in space and not full pose information (and even the single point plus IMU should't be enough)

Top Bottom