• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Durante

is interesting for two reasons to me. First - the guy that wrote that 'optimal placement of sensors for any given 3D model' is a genius. Second - they talk about needing 4 sensors to see a lighthouse, plus IMU data to get full pose information (or 5 sensors alone). That seems surprisingly high. So how does move get away with only having effectively one point of reference (the glowing orb) which by Valve's comments should only provide position in space and not full pose information (and even the single point plus IMU should't be enough)
I would assume that move uses only gyro (IMU) data to determine its pose and uses tracking for position only. Lighthouse can also do that (for stuff with a gyro - which the HMD and controllers have), but it's only used as a fallback.

Seiru

Banned
Ok, i'm screwed. I have my OS on my C drive and everything else goes on my second drive. Not sure I can free up that much space.

There are workarounds for this, primarily symbolic links/junctions. Oculus should be posting a support article about how to use these.

It is pretty stupid though that they don't support selecting a drive at launch.

Zalusithix

Well, I thought all of that was fascinating.
The syncing part was very useful information for advising others on placement. Anybody not placing these things up high will have to use a sync cable even if they're technically within LoS. Placing a body between them, even if momentarily, is sure to break the sync.

Durante

The syncing part was very useful information for advising others on placement. Anybody not placing these things up high will have to use a sync cable even if they're technically within LoS. Placing a body between them, even if momentarily, is sure to break the sync.
Actually, that doesn't seem to happen:
The path between the master and the slave can sometimes be non-LOS, the sync is pretty bright and the sensors are pretty sensitive so bounces from the environment can allow interbase optical sync even when they can't directly see each other.

He even goes into more detail in the same thread on the exact scenario you are proposing (someone moving between the lighthouses). As long as you have something somewhat reflective (like a white wall) enclosing your VR space, it still works. Of course, ensuring direct LoS is still best, and presumably the most resilient.

pj

Banned
This bit

is interesting for two reasons to me. First - the guy that wrote that 'optimal placement of sensors for any given 3D model' is a genius. Second - they talk about needing 4 sensors to see a lighthouse, plus IMU data to get full pose information (or 5 sensors alone). That seems surprisingly high. So how does move get away with only having effectively one point of reference (the glowing orb) which by Valve's comments should only provide position in space and not full pose information (and even the single point plus IMU should't be enough)

Vive and psvr use completely opposite systems for tracking, so it would probably be better to compare to rift/touch. I'm not sure how many points that system needs for a lock.

Also the stereo camera of psvr certainly helps.

Thanati

There are workarounds for this, primarily symbolic links/junctions. Oculus should be posting a support article about how to use these.

It is pretty stupid though that they don't support selecting a drive at launch.

When buying a $600 piece of hardware, I don't expect to have to implement a workaround.

pj

Banned
I would assume that move uses only gyro (IMU) data to determine its pose and uses tracking for position only. Lighthouse can also do that (for stuff with a gyro - which the HMD and controllers have), but it's only used as a fallback.

IMUs do the vast majority of tracking for all 3 major VR systems. External tracking is only used to correct sensor error (drift). That's why external tracking updates at a much lower rate (e.g. 60fps camera, 60hz laser), vs ~1000hz for IMUs

Durante

IMUs do the vast majority of tracking for all 3 major VR systems. External tracking is only used to correct sensor error (drift)
Clearly, lighthouse is also used to establish pose information (when available). I don't know how it is used in the final sensor fusion ouput, but I'm sure that having 100% reliable optical pose information doesn't hurt!

vermadas

Some interesting news regarding the Rift.

1 - It stores everything on the C drive.

Ok, i'm screwed. I have my OS on my C drive and everything else goes on my second drive. Not sure I can free up that much space.

2 - I use a HDMI cable to connect to my monitor.

Err, apparently I can't use a HDMI adapter now. Right...So, I either have to plug and unplug all the time or get a fix for my monitor.

http://imgur.com/U87yNuA

These seem like two big issues to me.

Urgh.

1. Directory junctions. Yeah, they are somewhat cumbersome on a game by game basis. - hopefully there will be an Oculus Games folder or something like that to junction to another drive. Then the only potential issue is when a game installs and checks to make sure there's enough free space.

2. One of the Oculus employees posted on their official forum at one point confirming that a DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter worked just fine for the Rift. I'm guessing they won't be supported "officially" but they will work. My PC outputs to a TV (well, receiver -> TV anyway) that necessitates HDMI. I may upgrade to to a 4k display this year too, and the adapter I have won't support HDMI 2.0, so using the adapter for the TV is not a good solution long-term.

Why they didn't use a DisplayPort connection to begin with is beyond me. I'm guessing nearly all the cards that meet their requirements are limited to one HDMI port but have more than one DisplayPort.

Edit: I type too slow.

When buying a $600 piece of hardware, I don't expect to have to implement a workaround.

No one is going to disagree with you there.

Zalusithix

Actually, that doesn't seem to happen:

He even goes into more detail in the same thread on the exact scenario you are proposing (someone moving between the lighthouses). As long as you have something somewhat reflective (like a white wall) enclosing your VR space, it still works. Of course, ensuring direct LoS is still best, and presumably the most resilient.

I saw the bounce part, but I'm hesitant to recommend that somebody actually rely on it. I wouldn't feel confident in telling a prospective buyer "Hey, if you have white walls, you're set!" I prefer to err on the side of caution. Better to assume you'll need the cable first, and then have a pleasant surprise if you don't.

Thanati

1. Directory junctions. Yeah, they are somewhat cumbersome on a game by game basis. - hopefully there will be an Oculus Games folder or something like that to junction to another drive. Then the only potential issue is when a game installs and checks to make sure there's enough free space.

2. One of the Oculus employees posted on their official forum at one point confirming that a DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter worked just fine for the Rift. I'm guessing they won't be supported "officially" but they will work. My PC outputs to a TV (well, receiver -> TV anyway) that necessitates HDMI. I may upgrade to to a 4k display this year too, and the adapter I have won't support HDMI 2.0, so using the adapter for the TV is not a good solution long-term.

Why they didn't use a DisplayPort connection to begin with is beyond me. I'm guessing nearly all the cards that meet their requirements are limited to one HDMI port but have more than one DisplayPort.

Edit: I type too slow.

No one is going to disagree with you there.

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated!

I really don't like the option of using Directory Junctions. But, i'm open.

How would this work as a matter of interest? If items are in the 'Oculus Store' and you browse it similar to something like Steam, how would you setup the directory junction?

pj

Banned
Clearly, lighthouse is also used to establish pose information (when available). I don't know how it is used in the final sensor fusion ouput, but I'm sure that having 100% reliable optical pose information doesn't hurt!

Well yes, in order to correct error it has to know what the error is.

Constellation and lighthouse update at lower than the refresh rate of the displays in the HMDs, they are not sufficient to be the primary source of tracking. They are the periodic "i know i'm here" updates between the much more frequent "i think i'm here" updates

Durante

Well yes, in order to correct error it has to know what the error is.

Constellation and lighthouse update at lower than the refresh rate of the displays in the HMDs, they are not sufficient to be the primary source of tracking. They are the periodic "i know i'm here" updates between the much more frequent "i think i'm here" updates
I'm aware of all of that, I've been following sensor fusion at least since the DK1 KS.

What I find interesting is to consider what the advantages are of having a reference pose on top of just having a reference position.

Zalusithix

IMUs do the vast majority of tracking for all 3 major VR systems. External tracking is only used to correct sensor error (drift). That's why external tracking updates at a much lower rate (e.g. 60fps camera, 60hz laser), vs ~1000hz for IMUs

I'm pretty sure the lighthouse scan rate is 100hz.

BrettWeir

Traded in X1, Kinect and Minecraft today, giving me $297 down deposit on PSVR bundle. The store I reserved at is only getting a total of 4 PSVR's. I was the third to reserve.

Owning two out of three won't be bad.

Looking forward to Rift shipping next week.

pj

Banned
I'm pretty sure the lighthouse scan rate is 100hz.

"The system has been stated to sweep the room 100 times a second. In 10 milliseconds, a single Lighthouse unit will sweep a first beam horizontally across the room. In the next 10 milliseconds, it will sweep a second beam vertically across the room. Finally, it will rest for another 20 milliseconds. That’s a total of 50 sweeps per second."

You have to remember that each laser sweep only gives you X or Y, you need two sweeps to get a position.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oculus Rift can do room scale VR, but doesn't see the demand for it
http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/22/11283336/oculus-rift-room-scale

...outstanding. Yeahhh I'm not putting up with this ignorance. Flipping the Rift.

Time will tell. There's demand, but it's only once the Vive is released we'll know how many people can really take advantage of it in a real world setting.

The book in that Fantastic Contraptions Oculus teaser shows a Vive headset and controllers. Nice.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
i think the "who's got 15x15" is the worst part...its obvious it doesn't require the max amount of space possible to enjoy..so quit acting like it does.. Its smarmy

Sounds early, but I love the concept. I hope they get more to do in it beyond "pick them up and literally throw them in to jail" though.

Never thought about how perfect pool would be in VR. It's too bad using two headsets for local play is going to be such a luxury for a long while as passing the headset back and forth probably won't be too practical. Online play could be real cool though.

I think this is an awesome way to contextualize teleporting. I do agree it would be even cooler if they could combine this with some (even a little) room scale though. It looks like it would really benefit from motion controllers too. Not sure if it will be nearly as fun with a traditional controller and it obviously won't be as immersive.

Real pretty but too little to go on from the trailer.

i think the "who's got 15x15" is the worst part...its obvious it doesn't require the max amount of space possible to enjoy..so quit acting like it does.. Its smarmy

I think the point is that the larger tracking space is where Vive's tracking system has the advantage since it's explicitly part of it's spec, and with two cameras Rift will seemingly be able to do a smaller room tracking space. What they don't see the huge demand for and aren't focusing their tech on is the maximum room tracking space.

Krejlooc

Banned
IMUs do the vast majority of tracking for all 3 major VR systems. External tracking is only used to correct sensor error (drift).

No, optical tracking is not only to correct drift. The two tracking methods (IMU and optical) are combined using sensor fusion.

VAD

I already preordered a psvr but I just learned the existence of OSVR, Razer's offering, that's priced at 350€. Is there anyone who actually tested it?
Edit: another thought, with Evolution closing, what will happen to Driveclub VR? Was it even in development to begin with?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think the point is that the larger tracking space is where Vive's tracking system has the advantage since it's explicitly part of it's spec, and with two cameras Rift will seemingly be able to do a smaller room tracking space. .

That's not true though. The room tracking is room tracking be it minimal space or more. Room tracking is not advised/supported on Rift no matter the size. At least this is the current position.

That's not true though. The room tracking is room tracking be it minimal space or more. Room tracking is not advised/supported on Rift no matter the size. At least this is the current position.

I don't think "not advised/supported" is really the actual position. It's not the default set up, but they've made it clear that it can be done and developers are free to develop for it if they wish. They're just not pushing it, which is different to not advising it or supporting it.

Zalusithix

"The system has been stated to sweep the room 100 times a second. In 10 milliseconds, a single Lighthouse unit will sweep a first beam horizontally across the room. In the next 10 milliseconds, it will sweep a second beam vertically across the room. Finally, it will rest for another 20 milliseconds. That’s a total of 50 sweeps per second."

You have to remember that each laser sweep only gives you X or Y, you need two sweeps to get a position.

Ah, I wasn't aware of the actual sweep timing. I knew the general concept / math behind operation, but as far as timing went I only remembered the general "100 times a second". This could be interpreted as 100 complete scans or 100 partial. Not that it really matters. It only needs to be fast enough to keep the IMUs in check while subject to human movement speeds. In that job, the accuracy of the measurement and occlusion resistance are more important than pure update speed (beyond a certain point at least).

Enordash

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated!

I really don't like the option of using Directory Junctions. But, i'm open.

How would this work as a matter of interest? If items are in the 'Oculus Store' and you browse it similar to something like Steam, how would you setup the directory junction?

Here's a handy little guide to symbolic links on Windows: Lifehacker

So is anyone receiving updates on order status from Oculus yet?

I've heard nothing yet and I should (hopefully) be in the first wave based on order number.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I don't know if this was common knowledge, but I just found out that one of the lighthouse engineers at Valve (Alan Yates) posts about it on reddit quite frequently.

Some interesting stuff I wasn't aware of before:Well, I thought all of that was fascinating.

The path between the master and the slave can sometimes be non-LOS, the sync is pretty bright and the sensors are pretty sensitive so bounces from the environment can allow interbase optical sync even when they can't directly see each other.

Guess that means you could put a mirror at a specific location to create a path for sync pulses between stations that wouldn't otherwise have LOS. Could help with some of the more difficult setups.
Edit: not convex, that would create too many unwanted reflections.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't think "not advised/supported" is really the actual position. It's not the default set up, but they've made it clear that it can be done and developers are free to develop for it if they wish. They're just not pushing it, which is different to not advising it or supporting it.

The discussion was I think in this very thread, but Oculus is advising developers to track their games in 180 degrees. I'll search for the links.

artsi

Recommended or not, if you read the article Oculus does say it's possible, and pretty clearly.

But Oculus could deliver that option as well if it wanted to, the company says.

"Some people will really want room scale," said Oculus head of worldwide studios Jason Rubin. "It's definitely cool. We have the tech ability to provide room scale. Our tech doesn't preclude that.

"At some point we'll demo that."

So if a dev wants to create a room scale game it's not Oculus or the tech that's stopping them. And I would bet Oculus will change their stance anyway when Touch releases.

Kevin

Recommended or not, if you read the article Oculus does say it's possible, and pretty clearly.

So if a dev wants to create a room scale game it's not Oculus or the tech that's stopping them. And I would bet Oculus will change their stance anyway when Touch releases.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Touch controllers come with Room Scale VR cameras and that is why they kept delaying Touch. Just speculation but it seems viable.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I didn't speculate on what a developer can do against Oculus' recommendation, I only stated that this is Oculus' current official position on this topic. We can discuss what the future will bring and if and buts, but that doesn't change the current status.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

i was refering to this quote
"We don't believe that the consumer has the space in general," Rubin said. "Has the commercial viable space of the 15-by-15 foot square."

Enordash

2 - I use a HDMI cable to connect to my monitor.

Err, apparently I can't use a HDMI adapter now. Right...So, I either have to plug and unplug all the time or get a fix for my monitor.

Could you switch to a DP->HDMI cable for your monitor instead? Or DVI->HDMI?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Why do first person "Cockpit" games make us "less" sick than just walking in first person? Do our brains see a cockpit and think "Car, everything is ok", or something?

I assume the nausea you get in VR is similar to Car Sickness?

Third person movement has less chance to make you sick as well right?

So why not make a game where you "move" in third person and can zoom in to first person when you are stopped? You could even use the same "move to cover" mechanic as The Division.

Are Third Person Shooters and RPGs going to be the first somewhat traditional AAA experiences we get in VR?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

So would I. But it would be nice to not have to guess and bet, and instead have something more concrete from oculus themselves

Zalusithix

I wouldn't be surprised if the Touch controllers come with Room Scale VR cameras and that is why they kept delaying Touch. Just speculation but it seems viable.

What the heck would a "room scale camera" be? A camera with higher resolution and FoV than the one they give you? If they're packing two of those hypothetical cameras with the controllers, Rift owners better brace themselves for the cost of going room scale.

Durante

I was somewhat convinced that Oculus would officially support a room-scale-like setup at least to some extent with Touch a week or two back, but their comments since then seem to indicate that this won't happen.

I was somewhat convinced that Oculus would officially support a room-scale-like setup at least to some extent with Touch a week or two back, but their comments since then seem to indicate that this won't happen.

This is why I'm leaning towards Vive. It's not a deal breaker that Oculus doesn't have it but when you're spending upwards of $600 USD, whats another 200 to ensure that you do have the capability?

Edit: Oh and you get touch controllers included with the 200 USD premium.

of course its possible, but if it isn't the default setup then it's useless.
It's not useless if it means developers of room scale games for Vive can also provide support for it on Rift knowing Rift owners who want that experience can reconfigure their setup to play them.
Their audience is fairly niche as it is, it would make sense for them to expand that to a subset of Rift owners of it's not overly difficult to support.

coolbrys

I'm going Oculus myself, but I'm really interested to see how Vive does room-scale. I have no interest in room scale itself, but new technology fascinates me and if they blow my expectations out of the water, I'm in. For now though, I'm keeping my expectations very conservative and want a darn good sitting VR experience for my first purchase...... and since I got in to the first Oculus preorders, that's the one I'll get.

Top Bottom