• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Odrion

Banned
To expand upon why: I have a medical condition that makes hard things touching and moving around my head painful (and more!) and the Vive seems to be the only headset that's pure elastic & rubber straps with a nice face cushion, so that pretty much makes it the only choice for me. And demand for these VR headsets seem to be pretty strong, so I doubt they're going to be REALLY CHEAP anytime soon, and the longer I wait on the Vive it seems the longer I wait in general so....
Welcome to the club, now for the agonizing wait lol.
Now I wish I impulse bought it. :|

Have you used a steam controller? What you are describing is perfectly doable with a vive controller. The point you're trying to make is that a touchpad doesn't quite make as good an analog stick as an actual, physical analog stick. I think most would agree with that, even if you use steam controller tricks like require push to active.

The argument isn't that haptic touchpads are the best control schemes for every situation, but rather that they can fit way more situations than an analog stick.

I'm not making the argument that one is better than the other. I'm explaining how analog sticks (or touch pads) could be useful with motion controls. I'm saying a game doesn't have to solely revolve around one or the other. We're talking about a new medium here with new possibilities.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm not making the argument that one is better than the other. I'm explaining how analog sticks (or touch pads) could be useful with motion controls. I'm saying a game doesn't have to solely revolve around one or the other. We're talking about a new medium here with new possibilities.

But nobody is saying analog sticks are useless for motion controls. People are saying they're not utilitarian. Yes, new medium, new possibilities. Which is precisely why sticking with a limited input source like analog sticks is aggravating. Haptic touchpads can do everything analog sticks can do and more.

To expand upon why: I have a medical condition that makes hard things touching and moving around my head painful (and more!) and the Vive seems to be the only headset that's pure elastic & rubber straps with a nice face cushion, so that pretty much makes it the only voice for me. And demand for these VR headsets seem to be pretty strong, so I doubt they're going to be REALLY CHEAP anytime soon, and the longer I wait on the Vive it seems the longer I wait in general so....

Now I wish I impulse bought it. :|

Well I'm glad there's an hmd you can enjoy with your condition :)

I don't think the wait will be too bad, sure beats the 8+ months for the DK1. Egads that was painful.

Compsiox

Banned
Some HTC reps told Redditors today that second wavers would start getting theirs by the 15th. Who knows though.
I hope so that would be amazing.

I don't remember what time I ordered or know when mine will ship. I know it took some time because of the site errors so I'm probably right on the edge.

I might have to abandon the internet to avoid videos and spoilers for two weeks.

Same but for me it's not so much about spoilers. It's so about seeing everyone have something I don't. In short I guess I want to avoid feeling like I'm left out.

UnrealEck

Oculus comments on room scale.
Jason Rubin said:
Some people will really want room scale. It's definitely cool. We have the tech ability to provide room scale. Our tech doesn't preclude that. At some point we'll demo that.

Why oh why oh why would you not have put people's mind at ease already by doing that before?
In fact, why wouldn't you just do that because it's so fucking cool in the first place?
Some of what Palmer and Rubin say is kinda questionable. When they say things like 'people are more familiar with a traditional controller' it's just a red flag to me. These tracked controllers are going to be as natural as it comes. If I were to hand my mother an Xbox controller, she'd be clueless. If she was in a VR environment and gripped a VR tracked controller, I'm sure she'd figure out how to use it in a matter of a couple of minutes at the most.

Err.. this may sound crazy, but this video may have convinced me I need a Vive. Any exact date for new pre orders?

No exact date. I ordered Vive a few hours ago and it just says 'May',
Don't think you'll need a Vive for this kind of game though. I'm sure Rift will do this sort of thing fine when Touch comes out.

Cimarron

Just got confirmed for the April 5th batch! Woot woot! Now the real question is where do I set up my holodeck! :). I wonder if they will alow you to test the sensors using a laptop? I dont want to lug my tower to the 2 pther rooms i am thinking of using.

But nobody is saying analog sticks are useless for motion controls. People are saying they're not utilitarian. Yes, new medium, new possibilities. Which is precisely why sticking with a limited input source like analog sticks is aggravating. Haptic touchpads can do everything analog sticks can do and more.

Durante's post that I originally replied to downplays the need:

But those are not really the games you need a tracked VR controller for (evidently!).

I'd prefer such a controller to focus exclusively on what makes a good device for VR interaction, in in that respect an analog stick just doesn't seem to make much sense. It's a workable abstraction for movement in traditional games, but has little utility compared to the alternatives for everything else.

I gave a scenario where using them together could be interesting.

I'm not trying to downplay the usefulness of touch pads at all (even if I hate them for traditional movement and yes I own a Steam controller). That's not even the convo I'm jumping in. Not sure why you're trying to rope me in to that since that's a different conversation.

newsguy

The fact that the player can take anything from the environment and create trick shots with it is outstanding. I can see a couple of friends watching one another's tricks on the monitor and trying to one up each other in VR.

UnrealEck

Did they charge the amount immediately?

I used a debit card and haven't been charged. I think they might charge if you use PayPal though.

So Mattel have their own VR headset.
Sadly seems to be missing a major feature though.

The fact that the player can take anything from the environment and create trick shots with it is outstanding. I can see a couple of friends watching one another's tricks on the monitor and trying to one up each other in VR.

My favourite part was them spinning the triangle on the end of the pool cue.

There is nothing "kinect-like" about these motion controls, and no implimentation would be "kinect-like." Positionally tracked controllers are 3D mice. Menus work better with positionally tracked controllers than they do with mice. You just point to what you want to select, then pull the trigger. Like the wiimote, or your mouse.
Wii Remote is almost as bad as Kinect for navigating huge menus, that's why you use the Nunchuk or the d-pad on the Wii Remote. Some games tried to use motion controls for menus, like Skyward Sword, and it was the worst thing ever.

I just don't see how you can say motion controls are better than a mouse for huge settings menus with over 100 options. Maybe you've only used console games, I dunno, but PC settings menus can get giant, even after splitting them into multiple submenus (my most recent game that was like that: Elite Dangerous).

Krejlooc

Banned
Wii Remote is almost as bad as Kinect for navigating huge menus

Absolute nonsense. Kinect was never precise, inside-out positional tracking is incredibly precise. Kinect had no discernable input, the wiimote had buttons that let you grab sliders and pull menus.

Mice are infinitely better for scrolling enormous menues, which is why you browse websites using your mouse and not your arrow keys.

Some games tried to use motion controls for menus, like Skyward Sword, and it was the worst thing ever.

The entire system used motion controls for its menu, and they were absolutely fine.

I just don't see how you can say motion controls are better than a mouse for huge settings menus with over 100 options. Maybe you've only used console games, I dunno, but PC settings menus can get giant, even after splitting them into multiple submenus (my most recent game that was like that: Elite Dangerous).

And navigating those same menus with an analog stick is somehow better?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Can the Vive Lighthouses track more than one headset, and controllers, or do you have to have 2 room setups for 2 player?

Krejlooc

Banned
Can the Vive Lighthouses track more than one headset, and controllers, or do you have to have 2 room setups for 2 player?

lighthouse beacons don't track anything. They are dumb, they don't connect to the PC at all. All they do is provide the light which the headsets and controllers themselves track. It is an inside-out tracking solution.

You can use as many trackable devices as you wish with only 2 light house beacons necessary.

But you'd likely need multiple computers, however.

viveks86

There is nothing "kinect-like" about these motion controls, and no implimentation would be "kinect-like." Positionally tracked controllers are 3D mice. Menus work better with positionally tracked controllers than they do with mice. You just point to what you want to select, then pull the trigger. Like the wiimote, or your mouse.

I really hope eye tracking gets as accurate as controller tracking. Nothing like being able to choose menu items by just looking at them.

As much as positionally tracked controllers are accurate, they require far more work than necessary for clicking on buttons, especially after the look-I'm-Tony-Stark coolness factor wears off

Krejlooc

Banned
I really hope eye tracking gets as accurate as controller tracking. Nothing like being able to choose menu items by just looking at them.

As much as positionally tracked controllers are accurate, they require far more work than necessary for clicking on buttons, especially after the look-I'm-Tony-Stark coolness factor wears off

You dont use the position to select the button, you use the actual buttons at your fingers to select. You use the position of your controller to indicate the position of your selection.

Just like how you "click" a mouse, rather than drawing a shape to indicate selection.

So I took out a tape measure today to break down what I need to do to turn the finished room in the basement into a vr room.

I've probably got a good 3m x 3m if we replace the bed with a sofa bed, so cost of that. I'd want a dedicated pc, so say $1200 ish for something with appropriate hardware. Not sure what to do about a desktop monitor though or where that would go. Then of course the Vive.

This isn't happening anytime soon (mortgage is being underwritten)!

But when I talk about wanting to get Touch and drag my PC about the house to figure out what my spaces are like this is kind of what I mean. My main pc isn't moving from where I keep it now... and I'm not lucky enough like Durante for the other room to be adjacent.

It'll be a relatively expensive thing to undertake but I'm not against it.

It's just not something I can even start budgeting for for a while. Touch might be a stretch by itself.

viveks86

You dont use the position to select the button, you use the actual buttons at your fingers to select. You use the position of your controller to indicate the position of your selection.

Just like how you "click" a mouse, rather than drawing a shape to indicate selection.

Of course. That's what I mean as well. You still need to move your hand in 3D space to the position of selection ("point") before the "click". With eye tracking, you eliminate the need to "point" and you can "click" with your hands fully relaxed, or in whatever position you already are in game, which is a big plus for menu heavy games or where the menu is some sort of diegetic interface that pops up.

Krejlooc

Banned
So I took out a tape measure today to break down what I need to do to turn the finished room in the basement into a vr room.

I've probably got a good 3m x 3m if we replace the bed with a sofa bed, so cost of that. I'd want a dedicated pc, so say $1200 ish for something with appropriate hardware. Not sure what to do about a desktop monitor though or where that would go. Then of course the Vive.

But when I talk about wanting to get Touch and drag my PC about the house to figure out what my spaces are like this is kind of what I mean. My main pc isn't moving from where I keep it now... and I'm not lucky enough like Durante for the other room to be adjacent.

It's just not something I can even start budgeting for for a while. Touch might be a stretch by itself.

provided you're serious about building a whole room for VR and providing it with it's own VR PC and monitor in the future, a good thing to remember is that you can mount both your PC and your monitor on the wall. They sell wall-mounting PC kits, which basically makes your entire PC mount to your wall with a thin encasing, and you can treat your monitor like a wall-mounted television. This can help you save space as well as eliminating the need for a desk.

provided you're serious about building a whole room for VR and providing it with it's own VR PC and monitor in the future, a good thing to remember is that you can mount both your PC and your monitor on the wall. They sell wall-mounting PC kits, which basically makes your entire PC mount to your wall with a thin encasing, and you can treat your monitor like a wall-mounted television. This can help you save space as well as eliminating the need for a desk.
Well it'd be a mixed use room, hence the sofa bed. I'm not remotely serious about a room where the sole purpose is room scale vr... but right now it's a guest bedroom that only gets used when we have two sets of visitors. I don't want to lose that.

I'm glad Oculus reconfirmed what most of us already knew about touch. Not that it'll stop people from presuming it doesn't support room scale. Palmer confirmed it a bit back. Devs have confirmed it. But touch isn't out yet and we have no price. So I'm not about to stop telling people interested in roomscale VR to buy the Vive.

Krejlooc

Banned
Well it'd be a mixed use room, hence the sofa bed. I'm not remotely serious about a room where the sole purpose is room scale vr... but right now it's a guest bedroom that only gets used when we have two sets of visitors. I don't want to lose that.

I'm glad Oculus reconfirmed what most of us already knew about touch. Not that it'll stop people from presuming it doesn't support room scale. Palmer confirmed it a bit back. Devs have confirmed it. But touch isn't out yet and we have no price. So I'm not about to stop telling people interested in roomscale VR to buy the Vive.

Well if you wanted to get creative, you could also look into finding a bed that folded up into the wall haha. Maybe put a flat screen television on the opposite wall with a wall-mounted PC attached to it. This would let you conceivably empty out the entire room for tracking, but also give you some options about using it as something other than a completely empty room.

You'd have to pull some magic with your wife on those ideas I'm sure, though.

viveks86

This reminded me to measure my living room.

If I move the coffee table during room scale VR sessions, I have 8 ft x 8ft. I hope that would do for the next year or 2.

aradikus

Just got confirmed for the April 5th batch! Woot woot! Now the real question is where do I set up my holodeck! :). I wonder if they will alow you to test the sensors using a laptop? I dont want to lug my tower to the 2 pther rooms i am thinking of using.

May I ask how you were able to verify this, please?

Monger

Well if you wanted to get creative, you could also look into finding a bed that folded up into the wall haha. Maybe put a flat screen television on the opposite wall with a wall-mounted PC attached to it. This would let you conceivably empty out the entire room for tracking, but also give you some options about using it as something other than a completely empty room.

You'd have to pull some magic with your wife on those ideas I'm sure, though.

How are your woodworking skills? I like Krejloocs murphy bed idea. Not that you couldn't buy one. Just thinking cheap.

FH15DJA_554_50_239.JPG

I had a quick look but I really can't remember what thread it was. I thought it was on r/vive but it could be anywhere. I've been reading so much around the net about Vive and Rift over the past couple of days.
It's likely I'm just mistaken and have misread things. Perhaps they said or meant February and not March.

Belated but I found it

It's speculation but some areas may have not sold out within a particular region which may be why a potential April 5 ship date for later orders (May estimate) could occur. I dunno I'm skeptical the HTC reps know wtf is going on and some are pulling whatever out of their asses on these email responses. We'll see.

UnrealEck

Belated but I found it

It's speculation but some areas may have not sold out within a particular region which may be why a potential April 5 ship date for later orders (May estimate) could occur. I dunno I'm skeptical the HTC reps know wtf is going on and some are pulling whatever out of their asses on these email responses. We'll see.

Yeah that's definitely the post I read because I recall seeing that imgur screengrab.

I think UK pre-orders might have always been May at the earliest but I'm not sure.

Wallach

Is the Razer OSVR basically a PSVR? The specs are very close.

Razer's OSVR headset more like a DK2 than a PSVR. The screen is going to be better in the PSVR as it does 120Hz. Edit - I guess they upgraded their own headset to have a 120Hz panel at some point?

It's a much more open type of system than Vive, Rift or PSVR in terms of hardware. Ideally they'll have other companies develop their own OSVR headsets with different specs, and will be able to support any kind of input devices and APIs.

Kevin

Well I preordered the Vive. I now have the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive preordered. My game plan is to monitor impressions over the course of April and decide which preorder to keep before either of them ship (can't afford both).

demolitio

I'm hoping there's going to be some therapeutic uses for VR. I would love to do the stuff I can't do anymore as a way to relax. The first realistic VR golf game will probably help decide which headset I'd eventually end up getting. Playing MLB The Show's career mode in VR would be another amazing experience.

While this will be great for gaming, I think it has a chance to help in more ways than just being more immersive for games. Any sort of diving game could help people get over their fear of the deep ocean or sharks, etc.

Cartman86

Banned
After all of my elaborate plans it looks like Valve added audio mirroring into SteamVR. Curious how much of a performance hit (if any) you would get using that. Also does it work if you aren't using the Vive headset for audio.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm hoping there's going to be some therapeutic uses for VR. I would love to do the stuff I can't do anymore as a way to relax. The first realistic VR golf game will probably help decide which headset I'd eventually end up getting. Playing MLB The Show's career mode in VR would be another amazing experience.

While this will be great for gaming, I think it has a chance to help in more ways than just being more immersive for games. Any sort of diving game could help people get over their fear of the deep ocean or sharks, etc.

Yup, Krejlooc's familiar with efforts in that area. Lots of potential there.

UnrealEck

Well I preordered the Vive. I now have the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive preordered. My game plan is to monitor impressions over the course of April and decide which preorder to keep before either of them ship (can't afford both).

Same for me.
Unless both ship at the same time and leave my bank account in debt.

Top Bottom