• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think with my room layout having a section with a lower ceiling I might go for a mixed use setup. For games like Selfie Tennis where I might be reaching overhead and making fast movements, I'll limit the space to the 2m x 2m area that has a higher ceiling. Then for things that are a little slower paced or don't need reaching up high, I can extend that out to 3m x 2m under the lower beam.

From my brief experience with the vive yesterday, room scale is more important to me than I previously thought, and it was already the thing that sold me on the vive. I wasn't walking around with my arms fully outstretched the whole time so even the small demo space didn't feel that tight. To me, room scale isn't something you wish you had room for, it's something you make room for.

I think if the fidelity of these headsets was equivalent to a desktop monitor, seated and 360 standing VR, especially non-motion-controller based games, would be much more compelling. As it currently stands however, stuff like chronos I'd rather just play it in "2d" on my 1440p 144hz monitor. It would be much more honest if trailers for VR games were shown in a resolution that is more representative of what you will actually experience. A while ago someone said it's equivalent to watching trailers on youtube at 480p, which is pretty accurate.

I'm currently thinking of ways to maximize my play space without annoying my lady friend too much. Really regretting that couch with a built in chaise now..

Dammit, I'm torn, cause eveytime I get hyped and hear that the screen door effect is nil and the resolution per eye makes for a completely immersive experience (on the vive) I later hear that playing a game in these devices is like "watching a YouTube video at 480p" which sounds atrocious. Is this going to be the case where I am blown away initially just because it's VR, and then come two months down the road I'm like "it's a nice proof of concept, but I'd rather play these games on a badass monitor instead"? Just wish I had access to a demo unit...

Zalusithix

In newest tested podcast they talk about that their lighthouses wobble when someone walk by because of flimsy camera tripods and that makes whole game world wobble too. I live next to rail road and every time train goes by whole house shakes. Oh dear.. never thought of that. :S

If you were in a virtual room the same size as the existing one, it should look about right for what you'd expect. If you're in a large area in VR though, there would be a mismatch as things get extrapolated out. This would be a problem with any tracking system really.

You could always use gyro stabilization of the lighthouse units, though the cost of doing so wouldn't be insignificant.

Jams775

Dammit, I'm torn, cause eveytime I get hyped and hear that the screen door effect is nil and the resolution per eye makes for a completely immersive experience (on the vive) I later hear that playing a game in these devices is like "watching a YouTube video at 480p" which sounds atrocious. Is this going to be the case where I am blown away initially just because it's VR, and then come two months down the road I'm like "it's a nice proof of concept, but I'd rather play these games on a badass monitor instead"? Just wish I had access to a demo unit...

If you have a hard on for super high resolution I'd imagine you should just hold off. I haven't tried VR yet but I understand it isn't going to be 4K quality. Then again I still play Commodore 64 games on a C64 monitor, so I have lower standards when it comes to pixels per inch.

If getting yourself used to the idea of playing on a lower quality screen is too much, maybe hold off so you don't get buyers remorse. VR isn't going anywhere.

pj

Banned

I think it's more the opposite. At first you're like "this isn't that great looking.." but within 10 seconds you forget about the image quality and you are in the experience. The screen door effect on vive is not a big deal and I only saw it when I took a second to stop and assess the image quality. Really it's just the resolution. It's not a whole lot of pixels to cover almost the entirety of your vision.

I've only had 10 minutes of VR so it's impossible to guess how my interest will hold up after hundreds of hours of use. It doesn't feel like I will get tired of it as long as there is a steady stream of games.

Gen 2 or 3 will be the turning point where there will be no reason to not play everything in VR, at the very least for perfect stereoscopic 3d on a virtual 2d screen.

kinggroin

Banned
If you have a hard on for super high resolution I'd imagine you should just hold off. I haven't tried VR yet but I understand it isn't going to be 4K quality. Then again I still play Commodore 64 games on a C64 monitor, so I have lower standards when it comes to pixels per inch.

If getting yourself used to the idea of playing on a lower quality screen is too much, maybe hold off so you don't get buyers remorse. VR isn't going anywhere.

Let's hope it does

I see where you're coming from, and I've played plenty of sub HD resolutions games--but when it comes to VR games--I'd imagine resolution is a corner stone to providing a reasonable VR experience. I'll hold off judgement until I can get my hands on a unit, just sharing my thoughts

Zalusithix

The best examples of "these games" are going to be things you simply can't experience on a monitor. The ones designed around VR from the ground up and deliver a solid feeling of presence. This is where room scale / standing experiences with tracked controllers should come into their own.

The youtube part is definitely nonsense, because there's no compression going on. It's really hard to ball park what effective resolution you're seeing in the sweet spot though, to be honest. I know on Gear VR Carmack said any video above 720p was a waste, but the resolution you perceive when looking into a virtual world, espescially when you have motion tracking is a little bit higher than the raw pixel count might make you think.

Your head is always wobbling a little bit and so what you see is going to shift even as you're staying as still as you can. This is almost like doing multi frame sampling with temporal aliasing, because that diagonal line with jaggies on it, isn't static and locked in place... or you're seeing different pixels of the high resolution texture than you were a split second ago.

A better way to judge, imho, is in how far you can see in the virtual world before things become a mess of pixels. That was the main thing I perceived switching from DK1 to DK2 to Gear VR. The furthest thing away from me that I could still see clearly got further back, from the other side of the room, to two or so rooms away.

You're going to notice the lower resolution much more in something like a racing game where you're looking a ways down the track than you will in a game where everything you interact with is never further away than a couple of steps (like in Job Simulator say). Virtual objects within a certain distance feel tangible and solid, beyond that distance it becomes much more obvious that they're a mess of relatively large pixels.

kinggroin

Banned
I see where you're coming from, and I've played plenty of sub HD resolutions games--but when it comes to VR games--I'd imagine resolution is a corner stone to providing a reasonable VR experience. I'll hold off judgement until I can get my hands on a unit, just sharing my thoughts

Not as much as you'd think.

The scale is IMO, the biggest factor to making VR feel unique.

Tadie

Another improvement over the original HTC Vive isn’t a hardware-based improvement, but is instead software based. Say, for example, you’re in your virtual world shooting zombies and having a generally great time, and you get a text/call/notification. Usually, you’d have to take the headset off (thus ruining the immersive experience) and check your phone, but the HTC Vive Pre features Bluetooth connectivity and can connect to your smartphone.

This means that any calls/notifications can be displayed in the virtual world, meaning you don’t need to take the headset off to look at your phone – you can even reply to text messages using pre-defined replies. HTC thought a lot about the user experience and how people will interact with VR, and this is just one of many features that make it incredibly user-friendly.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/w...reality-headset-hands-on-review-2016-3635648/

This sounds so cool. Does already a video exist of this feature?

Jams775

From what I understand how much you're bothered by the screen door effect is (at this point) mostly a personal preference. Either it'll bother you or it won't. I'm not 100% sure since I've never used VR aside from 90's mall demo but I imagine if I still enjoy low resolution games on low resolution monitors that I'd be fine with a bit of screen door. Your mileage may vary.

Zalusithix

I like that I get notifications on my Gear VR, and sometimes I use voice with my smart watch to reply. The Vive's stuff sounds like a better version of that. Anything that minimizes taking the headset on and off is good.

You more or less never have to take it off now until you're done - or have to go to the bathroom. You can deal with the phone. You can see and interact with the desktop. You can see the real world to temporarily interact with. Outside of emergencies I don't see anything necessitating the removal.

Durante

If you have a hard on for super high resolution I'd imagine you should just hold off.
I don't think this is always the case.

I think I'm certified to be rather unreasonably fond of high resolutions, and I can still deal even with DK2 resolution in VR. You just have to calibrate your expectations for a new medium compared to a well-established, mature one.

I think I'm certified to be rather unreasonably fond of high resolutions, and I can still deal even with DK2 resolution in VR. You just have to calibrate your expectations for a new medium compared to a well-established, mature one.

Totally. The benefits of VR for games far outweigh the loss in resolution.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Rift has now earliest delivery in July. Touch release date is very cloudy, but most probably after that. Rift + Touch probably won't be too much less expensive than Vive. Vive is delivered now in May and with full support for the room scale and motion controls out of the box.

Yeah, I started to think about that with the cost. My decision is becoming even more clouded, lol.

Glassboy

I got the confirmation for processing but nothing for shipping yet. I received the email last night around 11:30pm central time. I am a Kickstarter btw

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Cranking up the internal resolution also helps tremendously for the games that support it - for example, it made the screens legible in Elite.

Cranking up the internal resolution also helps tremendously for the games that support it - for example, it made the screens legible in Elite.
That's actually one of the advantages to the Oculus SDK over Valve's OpenVR - the developer can choose to render different "layers" at different resolutions. Like, rendering text at a much higher resolution than the rest, so text is easier to read without killing performance by rendering everything at a higher-res than needed. I'm hoping Elite Dangerous' official Oculus support makes use of that.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Ugh, finding a 16x16 canopy for outdoor VR Bar b que is going to be a pain in the ass...

Guess I could just have a night bar b que with no canopy.

Durante

That's actually one of the advantages to the Oculus SDK over Valve's OpenVR - the developer can choose to render different "layers" at different resolutions. Like, rendering text at a much higher resolution than the rest, so text is easier to read without killing performance by rendering everything at a higher-res than needed. I'm hoping Elite Dangerous' official Oculus support makes use of that.
I heard about this before, what I really don't see is why you need SDK support for something like that, it would seem to be a few dozen lines of code.

Also, "a higher res than needed" is subjective, supersampling surely doesn't hurt non-text either, especially in VR ;)

I did not know this! That's fantastic. You're right about Elite; super sampling does wonders for text readability.

viveks86

I heard about this before, what I really don't see is why you need SDK support for something like that, it would seem to be a few dozen lines of code.

Also, "a higher res than needed" is subjective, supersampling surely doesn't hurt non-text either, especially in VR ;)

Speaking of supersampling, is it possible to downsample games in vr, if we had extra juice left?

Durante

Speaking of supersampling, is it possible to downsample games in vr, if we had extra juice left?
Not trivially in the driver, no. You'd need something like a VR-API-specific wrapper to externally inject it.

However, UE4 at least has a built-in supersampling setting which works with VR and which I'd hope all developers would keep accessible.

For Source 2, it seems like Valve will be proactive about that and scale IQ up as far as it can possibly go on your hardware anyway. Which should really be the ultimate goal for all engines.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
What's the weak link in terms of resolution: CPU, graphic card, headset? I wonder what pieces of equipment I'll be able to reuse when a gen 2 lands in a couple of years.

wazoo

Yeah, Touch controls second half and it seems like you will be able to do some form of Room Scale with them as well. They are scheduled for H2 2016.

That is something I want to understand. Adding some controllers and room scale, how is it related ?

For me, it seems to be damage control.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Not trivially in the driver, no. You'd need something like a VR-API-specific wrapper to externally inject it.

However, UE4 at least has a built-in supersampling setting which works with VR and which I'd hope all developers would keep accessible.

For Source 2, it seems like Valve will be proactive about that and scale IQ up as far as it can possibly go on your hardware anyway. Which should really be the ultimate goal for all engines.

Speaking of APIs, I had a question about an idea I was kicking around - if you were playing a game on virtual cinema on a headset with eye tracking, could that eye tracking status be passed through to apply foveated rendering on the source game via a similar wrapper?

Durante

What's the weak link in terms of resolution: CPU, graphic card, headset? I wonder what pieces of equipment I'll be able to reuse when a gen 2 lands in a couple of years.
If we're only talking resolution, the the CPU has nothing to do with it.

Depending on the complexity of a game, the current weak link is either the GPU or the HMD.

If by the time the second generation rolls around we already have sufficiently fast and reliable eye tracking, that will decrease GPU requirements substantially and might increase CPU requirements tremendously too.

Speaking of APIs, I had a question about an idea I was kicking around - if you were playing a game on virtual cinema on a headset with eye tracking, could that eye tracking status be passed through to apply foveated rendering on the source game via a similar wrapper?
Foveated rendering is so different from a normal rendering process that I don't believe it could ever be injected with a wrapper in a way that makes sense (i.e. increases performance).

Cartman86

Banned
That is something I want to understand. Adding some controllers and room scale, how is it related ?

For me, it seems to be damage control.

It's related in the sense that they will technically have the pieces to make some form of room scale (not the same size of Vive space due to FOV of cameras), but with Oculus recent downplaying of roomscale and every Touch game shown using a front facing setup who the hell knows what games will actually target. You shouldn't buy a Rift if your primary interest is room scale. Don't buy something for a possible future, but for the now. Seems more likely that CV2 would be room scale. Don't play their game.

pj

Banned

And Unity. Valve is releasing a plugin that will do the adaptive quality stuff.

Zalusithix

Ideally this will extend to every VR game within this generation, and then spill out to general PC gaming. Set a target FPS and perhaps give weights to what you as a user prefer to focus on. Then have the engine start adaptive scaling to maintain the framerate. In general gaming give the user a GPU reserve percentage setting so they can control how close to the ceiling it pushes the settings as it isn't as sensitive to a few late frames from outlier cases.

I won't pretend this is easy with all the settings in modern engines that can be tweaked. It'll probably require a pre-run benchmark to get a feel for how the given internal settings affect a user's setup to know how to scale things. It's something that's really overdue though.

Durante

And Unity. Valve is releasing a plugin that will do the adaptive quality stuff.
I wonder if this will work as well as the Source 2 implementation apparently does, and how much effort it will require from devs.

I do hope it will be smart enough to effectively distinguish frametimes due to GPU load from frametimes due to CPU, and not downgrade my GPU scaling every time Unity does one of its trademark CPU load bubbles :p

Ideally this will extend to every VR game within this generation, and then spill out to general PC gaming. Set a target FPS and perhaps give weights to what you as a user prefer to focus on. Then have the engine start adaptive scaling to maintain the framerate. In general gaming give the user a GPU reserve percentage setting so they can control how close to the ceiling it pushes the settings as it isn't as sensitive to a few late frames from outlier cases.

I won't pretend this is easy with all the settings in modern engines that can be tweaked. It'll probably require a pre-run benchmark to get a feel for how the given internal settings affect a user's setup to know how to scale things. It's something that's really overdue though.
I agree. (I also feel slightly smug given that DSfix could automatically disable/enable some of its postprocessing settings based on a minimum framerate target in 2011 :p)

Unai

Is there a consensus right now about which one is better if you are going to use it mostly for playing traditional games while sitting in a chair?

I wonder if this will work as well as the Source 2 implementation apparently does, and how much effort it will require from devs.

I do hope it will be smart enough to effectively distinguish frametimes due to GPU load from frametimes due to CPU, and not downgrade my GPU scaling every time Unity does one of its trademark CPU load bubbles :p

Valve already implemented it for the Lab, so it should be ok? However I read some had performance issues with the desktop theater mode, which is also in Unity :p

Is there a consensus right now about which one is better if you are going to use it mostly for playing traditional games while sitting in a chair?

You can go either way. If you're willing to spend $200 more now you get Vive's touch controls right now, which are an important part of the VR experience.

You can also use a controller right now with Rift and pick up their controllers at some point later this year.

Durante

If that's what you are going to be using it for with absolute certainty, then likely the Rift.

However, if you haven't used VR much before and are jumping in with these consumer headsets, and you only think you are going to want to use it mostly for seated games (and aren't restricted to that by completely unchangeable e.g. health reasons), then you might want to reconsider.

pj

Banned

If a cpu issue is intruding on your frametimes, the solution to prevent dropping below 90fps would still have to be dialing back the graphics temporarily. Doesn't really matter what the cause is.

Some of valve's Lab stuff is built in Unity so I would assume their plugin works pretty well. A lot of the scaling is in the resolution and AA which shouldn't require much effort from devs. Valve knows that unity is the big VR player right now so it's in their interest to make games built with that run as good as possible.

Monger

The majority of non motion control games right now are exclusive to the Rift. It's launching with an Xbox controller and all of the launch software targets it.

Hardware wise not really.

I would ask if you have played a lot of VR games? Motion becomes something people tend to want, but I'm sure not everyone.

Durante

If a cpu issue is introducing on your frametimes, the solution to prevent dropping below 90fps would still have to be dialing back the graphics temporarily. Doesn't really matter what the cause is.
This makes no sense. The primary scaling parameters Valve pointed out are AA level and resolution. Changing either of those won't change your CPU time at all.

If anything, you'd require a separate set of CPU-specific and GPU-specifc scaling parameters. (And the former seem far harder to identify and implement at first glance)

The majority of non motion control games right now are exclusive to the Rift.
I don't think that's really the case. The majority of announced VR games with traditional seated controls are multi-platform. The majority of exclusive ones (or probably all of them) are exclusive to Rift, certainly (though maybe not forever).

The thing is, that some of the games announced for Oculus, besides the Oculus developed ones, are not exclusive that long.

Adam Orth said e.g. Adr1ft is still coming to VR-headsets, they havent announced yet.

I really hope someone will code a wrapper even though I preordered the Rift now so that people with the Vive can play smaller games/projects like the New Retro Arcade on the Vive.

Rift is consensus better for sitting, due to higher number of sitting experience games (from exclusives)

Hardware wise, they're equals at the sitting experience. So the above advantage is only artificial and could change

But buying only for what's for sure and not the "it's possible", Rift is a better fit if you'll only play sitting in a chair

This makes no sense. The primary scaling parameters Valve pointed out are AA level and resolution. Changing either of those won't change your CPU time at all.

If anything, you'd require a separate set of CPU-specific and GPU-specifc scaling parameters. (And the former seem far harder to identify and implement at first glance)
Do you take it as a good sign that the SteamVR test specifically measures "frames CPU bound"? Or is that more artificial and not indicative of progress being able to measure it on-the-fly

Monger

I don't think that's really the case. The majority of announced VR games with traditional seated controls are multi-platform. The majority of exclusive ones (or probably all of them) are exclusive to Rift, certainly (though maybe not forever).

Probably phrased it incorrectly but there are a healthy number of launch window exclusive rift titles and a few Oculus published titles.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

kind of how g-sync should have been addressed in the first place. Don't adapt the framerate, adapt the content

Top Bottom