• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

They are ejected into space.

I can dig it, if it's done virtually in my game as well.

This feature is not in chaperone as of now

Really? I am actually surprised, they seem to be so on top of things I just assumed it would be in there. I'm sure it will be soon. Have they released any news related to this? I'm worried about kicking my dog. My wife? I can deal with that, but my poor dog : (

Sky Chief

Just about any 3D environment or model is going to look better on a VR headset whether you can walk around it in 1:1 scale or not.

Yeah but you were talking about watching 2D videos and the other poster was discussing playing traditional games and using Virtual Desktop that will either replicate 2D or 3D screens in space or in the case of using something like Vorpx greatly increases your chances of getting sick. I'm not discussing room scale at all here. I'm just saying replicating traditional media forms is not the best use of VR and usually far worse than just using a traditional display.

Zalusithix

What about this?

ViveClubPrototype2.png

Now the vive doughnut is where a Pommel would be or where the bottom of your hand in a golf grip would be.

Aren't the sensors on the outside of the hole? Also, no stress should be placed on the Vive controller. It is attached firmly to the shaft which should hold the force.

Obviously a custom device built for this would be better, i am just trying to brainstorm a prototype.

In this one, the vive controller handle and real handle are still at different angles. Any game that assumed you were using it normally would be placing the shaft angle like 20 degrees off from what you'd think. Correcting the handles to match would solve that, but it'd still have a slight translation shift in the world, but that'd be nothing compared to the angle.

The only way you'd get a perfect match without the game being coded around it would be something that slots the actual Vive controller handle in line with the real handle and where that hand would normally be. Unfortunately that goal is impossible. Anything truly realistic will have to wait for a controller built from the ground up to mimic the real life weight/balance. If VR takes off this will happen eventually.

The increased resolution is only about 11-12% in each dimension and 25% overall. It's better but not remarkably so. I remember this time a year ago everyone thought that the CV1 would be at least 1440p.
My point is, the resolution is 1200x1080, most people run their monitors at 1920x1080, the CV1 has a much larger sweet spot in the center to see details, so having a virtual desktop slightly wider than your viewpoint (as seen a few times in the trailer) could very well be sharp enough to use.

I can dig it, if it's done virtually in my game as well.

Really? I am actually surprised, they seem to be so on top of things I just assumed it would be in there. I'm sure it will be soon. Have they released any news related to this? I'm worried about kicking my dog. My wife? I can deal with that, but my poor dog : (

No automatic pet detection as far as I know. A good, short demonstration of what the chaperone camera does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npg3Zt-WILU

There's also this (automatic mapping/photogrammetry?): https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/44tmby/vive_pre_now_supports_direct_mode_with_steamvr/czstjrz

Yeah but you were talking about watching 2D videos and the other poster was discussing playing traditional games and using Virtual Desktop that will either replicate 2D or 3D screens in space or in the case of using something like Vorpx greatly increases your chances of getting sick. I'm not discussing room scale at all here. I'm just saying replicating traditional media forms is not the best use of VR and usually far worse than just using a traditional display.

I guess it depends on what he meant by traditional games. See, I think of stuff like Lucky's Tale as a traditional game, and something like Job Simulator as being a ground up VR game.

I just don't subscribe to the belief that VR is 'best' used for games that wouldn't otherwise be possible. VR improves traditional gaming substantially and also opens up new possibility and genres. Both are exciting.

I mean, we've still got a lot of games that play like games from before polygons really happened, even if they still use polygons themselves. Heck I'd play a point and click game in VR. It'd be like watching a stage play where you were telling one of the actors what to do and say. I think something like that would be really compelling.

Maybe he means using virtual desktop to play all his flat screen games on a virtual screen instead, in which case yeah... probably not worth buying the whole system for that... but I'd be lying if I said I haven't done that a bunch myself. It's compelling to play a 2d game on a virtual 150 inch screen when you haven't got space for such a setup in your house even if you're losing a chunk of detail in doing so.

My presumption when people talk about VR and traditional gaming is that seated experience using a familiar input method.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Game ideas keep hitting me but most are out of the realm of possibility for me

Dog/Dragon/Raptor/Chupacabra Trainer - (would require someone with some damn good AI programming chops. Basically Milo in Dog or (enter animal here) form. You would be standing in a VR Park (or enter other location here) and your intelligently programmed AI buddy would play with you.

You could teach it tricks, play fetch, or frisbee, or toss entire cows, and just generally spend time with a virtual animal.

If the AI is good then emotional attachment could happen, which would be pretty cool for psychological reasons.

Dungeons and Dragons - Sit at, and bring, your real life table into VR and play Old school D&D with star wars holograms (your friends) sitting around it. Custom locations, possibly star wars hologram chess like mechanics.

VR Golf - play real courses (using teleportation to move around), fake ones (moon, volcano, etc) or build your own using the wands in a custom editor.

Extreme Swing League - Spider man, meets basketball suspended in mid air. Need I say more?

Post Apocalyptic Battle Cars- 2v2v2v2 in big open worlds. Interstate 76 gone insane. One person drives and fires the car's weapons, the other person is standing in the open bed of these el camino like monster cars and fighting using traditional guns (a la hover junkers). (Got the idea from the new mad max game)

Home run derby VR - this is a no brainer.

Pokemon - Uhh, I mean, isn't VR perfect for throwing orbs in a ring and letting AI fight it out?

Battlestations - multiple players take different positions and work together to make a giant battle bot work. Fight against other battle bots (sorta like a weird moba).

and a few I am keeping to myself :p

Sky Chief

What about this?

ViveClubPrototype2.png

Now the vive doughnut is where a Pommel would be or where the bottom of your hand in a golf grip would be.

Aren't the sensors on the outside of the hole? Also, no stress should be placed on the Vive controller. It is attached firmly to the shaft which should hold the force.

Obviously a custom device built for this would be better, i am just trying to brainstorm a prototype.

If a custom device was available I would definitely just get that. I might even buy a few because a driver, iron, wedge, and putter all have different swing weights.

Post Apocalyptic Battle Cars- 2v2v2v2 in big open worlds. Interstate 76 gone insane. One person drives and fires the car's weapons, the other person is standing in the open bed of these el camino like monster cars and fighting using traditional guns (a la hover junkers). (Got the idea from the new mad max game)

I've always liked this idea. I guess you can do something similar in hover junkers as two players can be on the same junker and play together.

But yeah, a truck bed is a decent sized thing to go in the space most people will have, and you'll have the static reference point of the truck. You'd have to prevent the trucks from flipping over though.

Sky Chief

I guess it depends on what he meant by traditional games. See, I think of stuff like Lucky's Tale as a traditional game, and something like Job Simulator as being a ground up VR game.

I just don't subscribe to the belief that VR is 'best' used for games that wouldn't otherwise be possible. VR improves traditional gaming substantially and also opens up new possibility and genres. Both are exciting.

I mean, we've still got a lot of games that play like games from before polygons really happened, even if they still use polygons themselves. Heck I'd play a point and click game in VR. It'd be like watching a stage play where you were telling one of the actors what to do and say. I think something like that would be really compelling.

Maybe he means using virtual desktop to play all his flat screen games on a virtual screen instead, in which case yeah... probably not worth buying the whole system for that... but I'd be lying if I said I haven't done that a bunch myself. It's compelling to play a 2d game on a virtual 150 inch screen when you haven't got space for such a setup in your house even if you're losing a chunk of detail in doing so.

My presumption when people talk about VR and traditional gaming is that seated experience using a familiar input method.

Okay, I see where some of the confusion is coming from. I see Lucky's Tale as a purpose built VR game and I'm sure it has all kinds of cool stuff that is socially made for VR so you will be looking around a lot. I am generally far more excited about room scale than anything but this is one of my most hyped games for VR. I think for the most part we're really on the same page here.

Dog/Dragon/Raptor/Chupacabra Trainer - (would require someone with some damn good AI programming chops. Basically Milo in Dog or (enter animal here) form. You would be standing in a VR Park (or enter other location here) and your intelligently programmed AI buddy would play with you.

You could teach it tricks, play fetch, or frisbee, or toss entire cows, and just generally spend time with a virtual animal.

If the AI is good then emotional attachment could happen, which would be pretty cool for psychological reasons.

Dungeons and Dragons - Sit at, and bring, your real life table into VR and play Old school D&D with star wars holograms (your friends) sitting around it. Custom locations, possibly star wars hologram chess like mechanics.

VR Golf - play real courses (using teleportation to move around), fake ones (moon, volcano, etc) or build your own using the wands in a custom editor.

Extreme Swing League - Spider man, meets basketball suspended in mid air. Need I say more?

Pokemon - Uhh, I mean, isn't VR perfect for throwing orbs in a ring and letting AI fight it out?

Battlestations - multiple players take different positions and work together to make a giant battle bot work. Fight against other battle bots (sorta like a weird moba).

Why no IRONMAN Simulator?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I've always liked this idea. I guess you can do something similar in hover junkers as two players can be on the same junker and play together.

But yeah, a truck bed is a decent sized thing to go in the space most people will have, and you'll have the static reference point of the truck. You'd have to prevent the trucks from flipping over though.

I am from Texas, and, being a Texan, when I saw the different room sizes I immediately thought truck bed.

So what can you do from a truck bed? Again, being a Texan, I instantly thought "Spotlighting". Thing is I don't really think people would want to just hunt hog from the back of a truck. One of my other ideas has you hunt something I think more people can get behind and you do so from the back of an AI controlled truck. Basically you would point where you want to go on a map and the AI "driver" would take you there.

Thats the basic gist anyways.

The battlecars idea is awesome too. I hope somebody does it.

Unai

Just to clarify, when I said traditional games I didn't mean using the Virtual Desktop. I mean using it to play games such as Project Cars, Half-Life and things like that. Games that have full integration be it native or using mods.

Sky Chief

Room scale golf is what I most want.

Sky Chief

Just to clarify, when I said traditional games I didn't mean using the Virtual Desktop. I mean using it to play games such as Project Cars, Half-Life and things like that. Games that have full integration be it native or using mods.

Okay well PCars in VR with a FFB wheel is one of the best gaming experiences I have had in years so then you will be very happy. HL2 not so much, the VR sickness ruined my day. Traditional cockpit games are amazing, modded FPS games are not.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I assume wecan use an XBox controller with the Vive as well ? I wonder how playing Fifa 16 would translate with the headset.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I assume wecan use an XBox controller with the Vive as well ? I wonder how playing Fifa 16 would translate with the headset.

It wouldn't be tracked but yeah you can.

I have a simple idea for an experience were you use room scale and a controller. (think remote control cars)

elyetis

VR support isn't out yet ( will it be in 2016 ? ) but tabletop simulator is pretty close to that. Probably my most anticipated software for VR ( even if I fear the current gen resolution will still make it far from perfect ).

Zalusithix

Got a new thing to tie into a virtual desktop. Networked room scale cubicle warfare complete with virtual foam blasters and the likes. Experience office hi-jinks from home! =P

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
OK was thinking, Vive really needs a chest sensor to go along with the head one. Or at least a way to extrapolate the direction a player is facing and not necessarily looking.

So, for example, a lean to move mechanic were you can rotate your body to turn. You wouldn't want to be turning based on head movement in this case.

Monger

Awesome news! Unseen Diplomacy will be available on Steam for £1.99 on April 5th. Link

They were originally talking about it being only for commercial exhibits so that's cool. A video for those who haven't seen it.

viveks86

In this one, the vive controller handle and real handle are still at different angles. Any game that assumed you were using it normally would be placing the shaft angle like 20 degrees off from what you'd think. Correcting the handles to match would solve that, but it'd still have a slight translation shift in the world, but that'd be nothing compared to the angle.

The only way you'd get a perfect match without the game being coded around it would be something that slots the actual Vive controller handle in line with the real handle and where that hand would normally be. Unfortunately that goal is impossible. Anything truly realistic will have to wait for a controller built from the ground up to mimic the real life weight/balance. If VR takes off this will happen eventually.

Well, eventually, IoT and VR will go hand in hand. A day will come when all our baseball bats, boxing gloves and golf clubs will double up as VR controllers with custom haptics for impact simulation, because as a sporsperson, you want to be able train anywhere, anytime. All the big sports brands will have their own simulation apps that you can install on your wireless VR goggles and play in your living room***.

I doubt I'll be alive to see it, but I also doubted I'd be alive to experience VR...

***After signing 100 page disclaimers so we don't sue them for physical damage to property and loved ones

Cartman86

Banned
Awesome news! Unseen Diplomacy will be available on Steam for £1.99 on April 5th. Link

They were originally talking about it being only for commercial exhibits so that's cool. A video for those who haven't seen it.

Holy shit YESSSSSS

Anyways my prediction. VR headsets will have the best game launch in history in terms of number of quality titles.

Lemonte

Awesome!

This VR peli requires a play area of at least 3m x 4m.

hmph... I'm half meter short on those requirements... anyone want to buy a couch?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Well, eventually, IoT and VR will go hand in hand. A day will come when all our baseball bats, boxing gloves and golf clubs will double up as VR controllers with custom haptics for impact simulation, because as a sporsperson, you want to be able train anywhere, anytime. All the big sports brands will have their own simulation apps that you can install on your wireless VR goggles and play in your living room***.

I doubt I'll be alive to see it, but I also doubted I'd be alive to experience VR...

***After signing 100 page disclaimers so we don't sue them for physical damage to property and loved ones

How old are you? That stuff will be here in 20 years.

Zalusithix

OK was thinking, Vive really needs a chest sensor to go along with the head one. Or at least a way to extrapolate the direction a player is facing and not necessarily looking.

So, for example, a lean to move mechanic were you can rotate your body to turn. You wouldn't want to be turning based on head movement in this case.

The best way to get upper torso direction would be a set of shoulder sensors. It'd be occlusion proof, unlikely to wander, and also help with arm IK. Lower torso would be a belt. Of course, the more points we add to tracking, the more you're just better off looking at a full tracking suit that covers all the bases. After a certain point it'll be faster to don a full suit than to strap a bunch of individual things on.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
The best way to get upper torso direction would be a set of shoulder sensors. It'd be occlusion proof, unlikely to wander, and also help with arm IK. Lower torso would be a belt. Of course, the more points we add to tracking, the more you're just better off looking at a full tracking suit that covers all the bases. After a certain point it'll be faster to don a full suit than to strap a bunch of individual things on.

I am thinking the absolute minimum. For mainstream appeal VR is going to have to stay simple but still offer complex experiences.

Shoulders is a good idea actually, unless you wanted to hang or clip sensors from the headset to your chest and back (to fix occlusion).

using that leaning could get you forward, backward and strafing movement. Physically rotating your body would turn you. Even just one node on a shoulder would work. (Right shoulder might be best for games that have you hold a rifle?)

You can try this by standing up and rotating on one of your feet (I use my left). It doesn't feel super unnatural and would likely not cause you to get sick if done well (because you actually rotate your body).

Use a deadzone with fairly minimal total movement and you can use the human body as a joystick. I think it could work!

Can you buy the vive controllers by themselves? If so you could just tape one to your shoulder...lol. Or one on your back and chest (double LOL). and use that data (hopefully each wand has a unique name so they can be access by UE4 or Unity 5. I wont know for a while unfortunately).

Are the vive cables detachable from the headset? seriously what happens if you are bending down and step on the cable and stand up really quick. You would jerk yourself back or strip the cables from the headset.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I have yet to dive into UE4's SteamVR implementation but I think the first thing I will test is using the track pad on one vive controller for traditional WASD/Joystick movement and attaching the second to my shoulder and use it as a constant forward chest direction so that I can turn naturally.

I wont be using any "hands" in this demo. Just moving the camera. From what I understand the controllers are just positions in space. It is up to developer to decide if they are to be used as hands, pincers or what have you.

Once I can buy more controllers (or just sensors) I will dig deeper.

Zalusithix

I am thinking the absolute minimum. For mainstream appeal VR is going to have to stay simple but still offer complex experiences.

Shoulders is a good idea actually, unless you wanted to hang or clip sensors from the headset to your chest and back (to fix occlusion).

using that leaning could get you forward, backward and strafing movement. Physically rotating your body would turn you. Even just one node on a shoulder would work. (Right shoulder might be best for games that have you hold a rifle?)

You can try this by standing up and rotating on one of your feet (I use my left). It doesn't feel super unnatural and would likely not cause you to get sick if done well (because you actually rotate your body).

Use a deadzone with fairly minimal total movement and you can use the human body as a joystick. I think it could work!

Can you buy the vive controllers by themselves? If so you could just tape one to your shoulder...lol. Or one on your back and chest (double LOL). and use that data (hopefully each wand has a unique name so they can be access by UE4 or Unity 5. I wont know for a while unfortunately).

Eventually I'm sure they'll sell them separately, but theoretically there's nothing stopping people from making their own custom sensors. Once that tool gets released to position sensors optimally in a given set of geometry, we're well on our way to user made sensors. Take a 3D printer, some electronics, and bingo.

Anyhow, for a minimum full scale body tracking set I think we're looking at:
  • Existing HMD/controllers.
  • A shoulder set - probably some sort of sling that embeds both.
  • A belt.
  • Shoes.
It wouldn't be perfect, but you could IK the rest of the parts with halfway decent accuracy. Whether that IK would be good enough for VR I'm not sure.

Are the vive cables detachable from the headset? seriously what happens if you are bending down and step on the cable and stand up really quick. You would jerk yourself back or strip the cables from the headset.
It does detach, but whether it'd do so cleanly without yanking the headset off I can't say.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Eventually I'm sure they'll sell them separately, but theoretically there's nothing stopping people from making their own custom sensors. Once that tool gets released to position sensors optimally in a given set of geometry, we're well on our way to user made sensors. Take a 3D printer, some electronics, and bingo.

Anyhow, for a minimum full scale body tracking set I think we're looking at:
  • Existing HMD/controllers.
  • A shoulder set - probably some sort of sling that embeds both.
  • A belt.
  • Shoes.
It wouldn't be perfect, but you could IK the rest of the parts with halfway decent accuracy. Whether that IK would be good enough for VR I'm not sure.

It does detach, but whether it'd do so cleanly without yanking the headset off I can't say.

Shoulders may be problematic. Aim directly up, or down, and your shoulders change orientation.

Sensors attached to the front and rear of a belt would be better. You can extrapolate height and direction data from that, and use the headset to track looking and leaning.

Also, if this belt was something standard, you could have holsters on it that a dev could simulate in game so you can holster your a wand completely if needed and retrieve it even though you can't physically see it. This would allow the traditional "Two gun" mechanic to cross over.

Right now, standing at a pistol ready position; if I use my thumb to Move, turning feels really good. As a rule, since you are effectively blind, only rotating on one foot should be a thing.

pj

Banned

They detach but they plug in at the top and go through velcro loops on the top strap so it's more likely to be pulled off your head than unplug.

That may actually be preferable to detachment because if the screen suddenly blacks out you easily could lose your balance and fall.

Cartman86

Banned

The best way to stop this is to wear shorts, socks or go barefoot. Way more likely to know you are standing on the cable. Shoes or jeans make it more difficult to notice the cable. Which might be a thing you want I guess. I'll be a socks and jeans sort of VR person I imagine.

Krejlooc

Banned
The best way to stop this is to wear shorts, socks or go barefoot. Way more likely to know you are standing on the cable. Shoes are jeans make it more difficult to notice the cable. Which might be a thing you want I guess. I'll be a socks and jeans sort of VR person I imagine.

Best way to stop this is to use a boom rig, which routes the cables above you.

Zalusithix

Shoulders may be problematic. Aim directly up, or down, and your shoulders change orientation.

Sensors attached to the front and rear of a belt would be better. You can extrapolate height and direction data from that, and use the headset to track looking and leaning.

Also, if this belt was something standard, you could have holsters on it that a dev could simulate in game so you can holster your a wand completely if needed and retrieve it even though you can't physically see it. This would allow the traditional "Two gun" mechanic to cross over.

Right now, standing at a pistol ready position; if I use my thumb to Move, turning feels really good. As a rule, since you are effectively blind, only rotating on one foot should be a thing.

Shoulders are upper torso. Belt is lower torso. For IK, they're entirely different things. You can extrapolate where the upper torso is aimed with monitoring both shoulders. Yes, the shoulders change when aiming up and down. They also change when your arm move. We know how they move in relation to the other bones though, so we can infer upper torso position from them. They wont tell you much about what the lower torso is doing though.

Swing your arms fast from behind your head and you'll do the same thing.

VR support isn't out yet ( will it be in 2016 ? ) but tabletop simulator is pretty close to that. Probably my most anticipated software for VR ( even if I fear the current gen resolution will still make it far from perfect ).

That's one of my most anticipated games as well.

Even playing a TCG with a friend would be incredible in VR with motion controls to manipulate the cards/game pieces.

The best way to stop this is to wear shorts, socks or go barefoot. Way more likely to know you are standing on the cable. Shoes are jeans make it more difficult to notice the cable. Which might be a thing you want I guess. I'll be a socks and jeans sort of VR person I imagine.

Palmer Luckey was onto something!

Cartman86

Banned

Still not convinced this works with tracked controllers. Not to mention hardly anyone will do this. People are already annoyed they have to clear out space and put some little boxes in a corner. They sure as hell aren't going to hang cables from the ceiling. I would do it, but in recommending simple fixes I think no shoes is a good solution.

Krejlooc

Banned
Swing your arms fast from behind your head and you'll do the same thing.

Why would you ever do that? What a pedantic concern.

And besides that, the cables come from the front of your headset and route to the back by slipping under a piece of velcro. Just make your cable exit your head directly at the top of your headset (as I do with my DK2) and you're free to swing your arms behind your head for whatever edge case scenario you can come up with that would never actually happen IRL.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
It does, I've tried it

I'm not talking about hanging anything from the ceiling.

Hi Krejilooc I know you have a lot of knowledge on VR. I tried Gear VR recently and the VR videos looked super pixelated and overall terrible. I streamed them from the Oculus store so maybe that was the reason. I am told playing a VR video locally stored on the mobile will look much better. Is it possible to see high quality VR videos at 1080p in PSVR, Vive, Rift that looks great and not pixelated or is that something that will happen only in the next generation of VR headsets and not current generation?

Appreciate your help. Based on your answer I will decide on investing in VR this gen.

UnrealEck

There's a house across the street from me empty and has been for several weeks now.
It's a shame I can't borrow it for a while for some room-scale VR.

Krejlooc

Banned
Is this the Omni boom thing? You can get on the ground without a cable tugging on your head, stand up and swing your hands 360 degrees in any direction with such a device?

I've used both a normal boom mic stand and the Omni boom rig.

Yes, of course you can. All it does is hangs the cable down below you with an arm above your head up as you move around. It doesn't limit the extent of the cable. The Omni rig has an extra retractable latch to help keep the cables above you. It will gently pull the cable up as needed.

Top Bottom