• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

cheezcake

CV1 subpixel arrangement. Pentile family as everyone expected, seems to be a more densely packed formation of the diamond subpixel structure Samsung uses in their newer flagship devices.

eytuKQF.jpg

I'm getting my room ready for the Rift and Vive. I need some help on adapters and cables, I have a PC in the crawlspace and need to run about 15ft of HDMI and want to have a nice wallplate so I can just plug the headsets into the wall next to the desk. Do I need active or passive HDMI cables, also since I have a 980 ti I have 3 display ports, two DVI, and only one HDMI and run two monitors plus will want to have both headsets plugged in. Should I get DisplayPort to HDMI adapters or should I get some cheaper DVI to HDMI adapters?

artsi

Not sure how accurate this is, but apparently a dev with access to all the headsets has posted an image of the various FoVs.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/com...zero_on_twitch_stream_confirms_fov_as/d1hgi7j

The Vive one looks very different to all the rest, and seems to explain why their rendering can mask screen portions.

https://imgur.com/p4le5Vx

That seems considerably larger for Vive vs CV1.
With a larger FOV, not much difference between optics (after all) and better support for eyeglasses I'm starting to drift towards Vive now.

Well I was always going to buy it, but I'm afraid CV1 will just be left to dust if I can't wear it with my glasses properly so I don't know if I should buy that anymore.

dumbo

That seems considerably larger for Vive vs CV1.
With a larger FOV, not much difference between optics (after all) and better support for eyeglasses I'm starting to drift towards Vive now.

It's worth mentioning that the Vive is probably stretching the pixels more to fit that circle, which would fit with the "more SDE on the Vive" comments.

Haemi

It's worth mentioning that the Vive is probably stretching the pixels more to fit that circle, which would fit with the "more SDE on the Vive" comments.

But people are saying bright spots on dark are extremely glowing on the CV1.

-Vive lower res per degree and more SDE
-Vive FOV 100°-110°x 100°-110°, CV1 FOV 80°x90°
-Vive no glowing

Was a good decision to buy a Vive.

artsi

Yeah that's possible, and small FOV I could stand but anything else doesn't really matter if I can't use the HMD with my glasses. I always expected Oculus to ship the alternative facial interface with Rift and I'm sad that didn't happen.

It also seems that the support page lists supported eyeglass dimensions that work only with the (yet unreleased) facial interface, which is already pretty misleading.

Wallach

Not sure how accurate this is, but apparently a dev with access to all the headsets has posted an image of the various FoVs.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/com...zero_on_twitch_stream_confirms_fov_as/d1hgi7j

The Vive one looks very different to all the rest, and seems to explain why their rendering can mask screen portions.

This doesn't seem like quite enough information for me to tell how wide the actual binocular FOV is. Is there information out there about the render overlap for each eye between the two? Using a rounded shape it seems like you would have to overlap slightly further, no?

-Vive no glowing

Is the Rift FOV really worse than both DK1 and DK2?

Hoo-doo

Banned
You always have to run the GB stuff through a filter though. Eg Jeff seems lukewarm on EVE, but later on in the stream he reference it and he'd been playing it all week. His main complaints were mechanically as a game, and specifically the combat. I think he was pretty into it in VR generally but it doesn't always come across

The Gb stream was very patchy too. There was a phase where they hated almost everything, but other times where you could see them enjoying things. Little games like fly to kuma which you would normally dismiss but looked fun in VR. They seemed to like the tabletop style too with defence grid and air mech. And Brad seemed to really enjoy farlands - although perhaps as much for imagining what a viva piñata version might be like

I wouldn't call it a filter, i'd call it them being rather immune to press hype.

Also, Giant Bomb has a completely different audience than the average Youtube streamer. They don't have to act up their emotions or reactions to stuff. People watch their stuff precisely because they act 'normal'.
Compare that to the average young youtuber who hooks it's audience by just yelling and dialling/playing up every reaction to 11 just to try and stand out from the crowd. Different strokes for different folks.

I wouldn't call it a filter, i'd call it them being rather immune to press hype.

Also, Giant Bomb has a completely different audience than the average Youtube streamer. They don't have to act up their emotions or reactions to stuff. People watch their stuff precisely because they act 'normal'.
Compare that to the average young youtuber who hooks it's audience by just yelling and dialling/playing up every reaction to 11 just to try and stand out from the crowd. Different strokes for different folks.
I totally agree. It's hard to take a lot of the YouTube reactions seriously. GB seems to be more realistic about the current state of things, and did seem to enjoy some of what they tried.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Thats what I mean by a filter though - you have to factor in how GB talks about things and how they aren't necessarily effusive about everything just because games. That doesn't mean they hate on what they're talking about.

Fret

Yeah that's possible, and small FOV I could stand but anything else doesn't really matter if I can't use the HMD with my glasses. I always expected Oculus to ship the alternative facial interface with Rift and I'm sad that didn't happen.

It also seems that the support page lists supported eyeglass dimensions that work only with the (yet unreleased) facial interface, which is already pretty misleading.

Yeah that's pretty out of order, they always made out you'd get other masks, so glad I bought a Vive as I wear glasses. That would have really pissed me off. No wonder Palmer was concerned in the personal delivery video.

Lister

Banned
GiantBomb made a point of how the resolution is a barrier to interacting with both objects in the distance (too blurry and pixelated), and some elements of the UI (hard to read).

And the rift has the highest resolution of the devices, correct? when is foviated rendering happening again?

Tfault

In Reddit Post there is a link to an overlay of the FOV for the Vive, CV1 and Dk2

FOV

Strange that the FOV of the Vive seems more that the CV1 as the specs say otherwise. Also why is the CV1 FOV smaller than the DK2, thought is was meant to be better.

bj00rn_

Banned
This is actually pretty crazy, Vive seems to have quite a bit larger fov, and the CV1 is lower than DK2? wtf?

This image goes against every single report we've seen up to now. So even if I have a Vive coming next week I'll take this info it with a grain of salt..

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This is actually pretty crazy, Vive seems to have quite a bit larger fov, and the CV1 is lower than DK2? wtf?

A lot of impressions on Reddit point out that the FoV seems to be smaller on CV1 than on DK2. Which is indeed crazy. But there must be something to it, since so many notice it.

GiantBomb made a point of how the resolution is a barrier to interacting with both objects in the distance (too blurry and pixelated), and some elements of the UI (hard to read).

And the rift has the highest resolution of the devices, correct? when is foviated rendering happening again?

Rift and Vive have the same screen resolution.

Those FOV comparisons also play into what some previews said about the Rifts FOV is akin to looking through a window, and Vive's is more like being there.

Is the Rift FOV really worse than both DK1 and DK2?

It sure doesn't feel that way when I'm using it, but I haven't worn my DK2 in a week or so. The lenses are much bigger in the CV1 than the consumer Gear VR (which isn't the version he shows in the comparison). StressLevelZero has been pretty accurate with all of his statements on VR so far, so I'm not calling him into question, but it doesn't feel anything like as different to DK2 as this comparison would make you think. Maybe it is... but it's hard to say.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This image goes against every single report we've seen up to now. So even if I have a Vive coming next week I'll take this info it with a grain of salt..

Actually most of the reports were mentioning Vive having a bigger FoV, but we were dismissing that based on the known technical info. What if it was true all along?

Those FOV comparisons also play into what some previews said about the Rifts FOV is akin to looking through a window, and Vive's is more like being there.

I would take comments like that with a pinch of salt. The Vive FOV definitely still has a window effect, like wearing round goggles. It may be better than Rift, but don't go in expecting no border at all.

Actually most of the reports were mentioning Vive having a bigger FoV, but we were dismissing that based on the known technical info. What if it was true all along?

Yeah, most reports said that Vive seemed wider, but it was difficult to say because they have different shaped (Vive being round and Rift being taller).

-Vive no glowing

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4bbrtg/insider_leak_readible_summary/

The Vive display is also 3x brighter than the Rifts

Surely for Oculus to put all of this under NDA right before launch is a really shitty thing to do? pretty dodgy imo.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooh boy.

just design choices. but I'll agree that this shouldn't have taken owners by surprise.

edit: I guess this guy was right the whole time. Original insider leak was here.

Hoo-doo

Banned
What does the brightness of the display imply? I'd imagine the display doesn't have to be that bright at all when it's sitting a few inches from your retinas? Is it too bright?

artsi

Interesting point, but I wonder what would break immersion more, SD or FOV.

Haven't had an opportunity to try any VR stuff myself.

I've tried DK2 but I can't really remember anymore.

SDE on my iPhone 6S Plus + cardboard doesn't concern me, but it's an RGB display so I don't know if it's actually worse on Rift and Vive.

Fret

What does the brightness of the display imply? I'd imagine the display doesn't have to be that bright at all when it's sitting a few inches from your retinas? Is it too bright?

Brightness is certainly a non issue. At no point using my Rift yesterday did I think 'this needs to be brighter' whether I was in dark corners or bathed in sunlight.

I'd imagine the lower brightness is to lower perceived SDE and also to lower the effect of that flare issue? Yeah it's not a massive issue compared to the other stuff but OLED panels look way better when brighter, atleast on my phone they do.

A good explanation here

no-one is saying the Vive screen is too bright - its more that the Rift screen is too dim for a larger FOV
a brighter screen is definitely better - you can get an increase in the FOV without introducing SDE, as brightness directly counters the ability to see the individual pixels and gaps between them
I'm pretty sure that the reason for the lower FOV on the Rift is to compensate for the dimness of the screens (dimmed to reduce lens flare) and reduce SDE, so it has a big impact on perceived image quality, and also overall immersion levels, due to the Vive being able to increase the FOV without massively increased SDE

Wallach

Perceived brightness is kind of complicated. It's not really a direct correlation to the measured lumens. I'm not really sure how much of a perceived difference there would wind up being in this case.

bj00rn_

Banned

I most recently read a reddit thread where another developer said that he preferred the round shape of the Vive FOV best, but that the Rift had the widest FOV.

If that's not the case and the Rift has an even narrower FOV than what the DK2 had, then I would be very disappointed with Oculus..

Not the least I would be pissed because I thought the DK2 FOV was already way too narrow, and I would of course like to have this new information before I pre-ordered a CV1.. If this is now turns out to be confirmed I will most likely try to cancel my pre-order, unless it's already too late..

I most recently read a reddit thread where another developer said that he preferred the round shape of the Vive FOV best, but that the Rift had the widest FOV.

If that's not the case and the Rift has an even narrower FOV than what the DK2 had, then I would be very disappointed with Oculus, Not the least because I thought the DK2 FOV was already too narrow, and I would like to have that information before I ordered a CV1.. If this is now confirmed I will try to cancel my pre-order, unless it's already too late..

Are you sure they didn't say they preferred the taller FOV? Reports were pretty consistent that the FOV shape was more of a tall rectangle and some did prefer it.

Oh ok. I think I'll wait for the reviews next week before I jump ship from my Oculus preorder.

I'm kind of in the same boat at this point. The main thing Oculus had going for it (for me) was the existing software support, but they dropped all of that with the 1.3SDK anyway so all that is left is a hope that devs who view VR support as a very tiny part of their user base takes the time to update their SDK. And if they are that invested, they might also do Vive integration.

And that is not even counting the whole motion controller thing, which seems to become increasingly important. Though I am not unwilling to wait for touch for that if I could just play the cockpit games that already had beta support until them.

elyetis

Hard call, at some point SD and FOV can break immersion.

In the DK2 I found the SD far more problematic than the FOV.

edit : problematic as in, harder to ignore/forget, and also because it had the most impact on gameplay since it can make reading text etc.. harder.

Hari Seldon

I'm kind of in the same boat at this point. The main thing Oculus had going for it (for me) was the existing software support, but they dropped all of that with the 1.3SDK anyway so all that is left is a hope that devs who view VR support as a very tiny part of their user base takes the time to update their SDK. And if they are that invested, they might also do Vive integration.

And that is not even counting the whole motion controller thing, which seems to become increasingly important. Though I am not unwilling to wait for touch for that if I could just play the cockpit games that already had beta support until them.

I went oculus primarily because it seemed like it was going to be the superior seated experience. But if this FOV thing is true, well that combined with the more open platform is pushing me to switch.

taoofjord

As far as Giant Bomb goes, I love listening to those guys. I've listened to their podcast every week for four or five years. They're really entertaining but I don't care for their taste in games. Jeff is really cynical and unexcitable, Brad is more open minded but can get often stuck on seemingly minor issues. There's nothing wrong with any of that, we're all quirky with what we like, but my taste is quite different from theirs so their reaction to anything VR doesn't worry me.

That said, I do agree with some here that Oculus made a mistake releasing the headset without the Touch. The gamepad and the platform's conventional (and underwhelming) launch games just leaves the Oculus feeling more like a really expensive, optional peripheral to the average person that isn't familiar with the tech.

So if I preorder a Vive when is the current shipping date?

Hehe.. maybe this week maybe next month or the month after. Apparently the order system is a bit fubar. Meaning if you order right after someone has ordered with an earlier spot has cancelled you can get that spot. But last I heard normal orders are at May i think.

Zalusithix

-Vive no glowing

The Vive has been reported to have haloing from the fresnel lenses in high contrast scenarios. There is no free lunch. While I'm sure you could get the optics to the point where they have virtually no visible downsides, doing so in a compact and lightweight package might be impossible.

Well, having a larger FoV would seem to be more useful in the Vive where walking around is a major part of the selling pitch. When you're seated or just standing, additional FoV is icing on the cake. When you're walking around, however, I can see a reduced FoV impacting the comfort of locomotion. All theoretical mind you based on rudimentary testing using my hands as blockers. Without the actual headsets I can't claim any of that as actual fact.

Mindwipe

The crux of the issue this causes is that the majority of casual folks do not flip the switch, or will assume content being blocked is not reliable without further investigation. However, I imagine that is a comparison from platforms that were never truly open to begin with, and PC stalwarts will see such issues and know to switch such a limit off when they need to.

From the guy that posted it though:

It's amazing. When Facebook bought Oculus there were people saying that it would never happen, that it was "just a monitor".

Now we see there's a killswitch. So the first time there's anything controversial that a government doesn't like Facebook can block it.

I'd imagine the lower brightness is to lower perceived SDE and also to lower the effect of that flare issue? Yeah it's not a massive issue compared to the other stuff but OLED panels look way better when brighter, atleast on my phone they do.

A good explanation here
I'm just telling you that using the Rift for a good four or five hours yesterday, brightness wasn't an issue at all. At no point did I look for a brightness setting because it wasn't bright enough. I'm not saying 'yeah it's a bit dim but you can deal with it', I'm saying it was always as bright as the scene I was looking at felt like it required. Perhaps if you were spreading that light out over a wider FOV it would be an issue but I can only compare what I have to my memory of the dk2 and gear vr and despite what those pictures say, I did not feel like I was getting narrower FOV than my dk2 gave (perhaps a benefit of the dual screens) and I never even thought about brightness because it was never too bright or too dim for any given scene.

Top Bottom