• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Monger

Well I would think They already have somethings to be working on. Screen, tracking (head and eye), chaperon system, and whatever interesting things they find over the next few months of consumer use to work on.

I'm sure they're constantly doing R&D. Better question is why a one year cycle and what would that do to the market?

Zalusithix

Yeah that is really solid. Hope the final Vive is better than what i've heard so far with the Pre.

Microphone quality is something you'd expect from a phone manufacturer like HTC. It's precisely because of that, that I'm expecting the mic to be the worst part of the Vive. =P

x/post from the Rift CV1 launch thread, uploadvr tested room scale capabilities of the single camera in a 13x14 space, the results are quite good!

http://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-cv1-one-camera-room-scale/

Placing the camera about 7 feet off the ground and pointed downward,I tested the camera in a room that was measured 13 ft x 14 feet total. Booting up Air Mech I set to walking about the room, stress testing the tracking by crawling on the ground moving quickly and exploring he whole space. To my surprise the single camera was able to track my movement rather flawlessly throughout the entire space from this position. Outside of a pocked below the camera and the areas limited by the Rift’s cord, the entire room was accessible.

Here's a video of the test

I quickly tried Herobound. It really helps show how much better than Gear VR the sweet spot and displays are. The graphics aren't really different, and the main thing here that's great is that you've got positional tracking added in so you can really lean about and look at the little rooms. The scale feels slightly larger too... although I don't know if that's just my imagination.

Ohhhhhh. I might have to get a longer cable then. Gonna need 15 to reach the couch :/

Can you take the exact same shot on a DK2 so we can do an apple-apples comparison?

Nope! I gave my DK2 to a friend over a week ago. I can do something similar on the Gear VR if you like.

Alright, I'm ordering some adapters and extensions for my Rift and Vive right now. I want to run some HDMI extensions or Display Port to HDMI adapters/extensions from my PC that is in a large crawlspace to where my desk is on the other side of the room and wall. Is there a certain setup that I should use? I normally have my Projector setup as my main display, going from HDMI out to the projector. Then a second monitor that is DVI to HDMI adapter to the monitor which is HDMI. Then I have my DK2 hooked up though a Displayport to HDMI. Is this the best way to do it? I have a 980ti that has 3 DPs, 1 HDMI, and 2 DVI. I'm really trying to figure out the best way to hookup both the Rift and the Vive without having to unplug one of them.

Just shipped off my DK2 today -- should have $530 on the 9th (buyer already paid). Whoo. Makes the Vive an easier wallet crater to endure.

The Argus

Outside of creepy decapitated mannequin heads, how do people plan on storing VR headsets? I'm wary about just leaving it out in the open. That and my SO would never allow it. Hell she puts my headphone (banana) hanger away and hidden the closet.

Outside of creepy decapitated mannequin heads, how do people plan on storing VR headsets? I'm wary about just leaving it out in the open. That and my SO would never allow it. Hell she puts my headphone (banana) hanger hidden in the closet.

I'm thinking of keeping it in the box. Probably put the box in my desk or something.

Hey, I haven't decided anything yet but is it worth looking into getting a DK2? I have no intention of getting a Rift or a Vive in the near future--heck, I just sold off my accidental Rift preorder--although I'd be interested in other lower-cost headsets such as OSVR.

I demo'd a DK2 about a year ago and honestly wasn't too impressed with it. But then, I also wasn't in an ideal environment.

And if I'm going to get a DK2, is now the best time with lots of people getting CV1, or should I wait? (I won't really have time to use it until I get out of college in May)

Krejlooc

Banned
At this point though it's a non-issue. What casual folk has a ~$1000 PC, a 600$ headset, and the desire to jump on a 600$ purchase day 1?

Not likely very many.

It doesn't take many to matter much when the initial install base is so small.

To directly answer your rhetorical question, however - when I gave my pitch to a director at MD Anderson, his son was in the room with us. His son is like 9 years old. immediately after trying my pitch, the son told his dad "I want one of these" and they ordered one on the spot (DK2). They then asked if it would run on an Xbox 360. We had to spend another hour building them a computer from Newegg.

So, the answer to your question - more than zero.

So i just finished one of my first "long" play sessions with my gear VR. I was playing dread halls, and it made me incredibly motion sick (cold sweats and all). I couldn't get into the game because of it and ended up ripping off the headset, turing on a fan, and lying down.

As someone who preordered the Vive, is it likely going to have the same problem? Are people susceptible to motion sickness just not able to play VR games?

Krejlooc

Banned
So I'm going to do a 24-hour live stream on the 5th of both the Rift and Vive. I'm just wondering how far I should go with the prep. Giant Bomb's livestream is great, but do people really appreciate the greenscreened shots of them in the corner? I'm seriously considering buying some sheets and covering my walls for this lol.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
So I'm going to do a 24-hour live stream on the 5th of both the Rift and Vive. I'm just wondering how far I should go with the prep. Giant Bomb's livestream is great, but do people really appreciate the greenscreened shots of them in the corner? I'm seriously considering buying some sheets and covering my walls for this lol.

I enjoy the group dynamic and AirMech they were a blast to see enjoying it so much.
but like it best when not dominating the screen

Zalusithix

So i just finished one of my first "long" play sessions with my gear VR. I was playing dread halls, and it made me incredibly motion sick (cold sweats and all). I couldn't get into the game because of it and ended up ripping off the headset, turing on a fan, and lying down.

As someone who preordered the Vive, is it likely going to have the same problem? Are people susceptible to motion sickness just not able to play VR games?

You should theoretically be fine with anything on the Vive using standing or roomscale. It's the mismatch between onscreen action and body action that causes the majority of motion sickness. Particularly turning.

Edit: Also, Dread Halls doesn't seem to be the sort of game that you'd ideally play first.

Monger

Outside of creepy decapitated mannequin heads, how do people plan on storing VR headsets? I'm wary about just leaving it out in the open. That and my SO would never allow it. Hell she puts my headphone (banana) hanger away and hidden the closet.

The box seems pretty big so I'll probably repurpose the foam to make a case or even just smaller box/plastic container for it.

I don't know what the long term effects of those mannequin heads or hanging it by the elastic would be, but neither seem like a particularly good idea.

It doesn't take many to matter much when the initial install base is so small.
I'd imagine most will easily find it. Even casuals. It's not exactly hidden.

To directly answer your rhetorical question, however - when I gave my pitch to a director at MD Anderson, his son was in the room with us. His son is like 9 years old. immediately after trying my pitch, the son told his dad "I want one of these" and they ordered one on the spot (DK2). They then asked if it would run on an Xbox 360. We had to spend another hour building them a computer from Newegg.
So, the answer to your question - more than zero.
I agree, there might be a few thousand.I think at this point it is likely a small minority. I don't think it's really a big issue.
I think you're underestimating a 9 year old.

Their approach is a double edged sword. It's basically to protect casuals from playing media that they haven't reviewed. Which could be a very important thing for some people.

They're taking that approach to all of Steam. They would be happy to support Vive, but not at the compromises that Valve wants.

newsguy

Unless you're very funny and have a funny group of guys with you, I wouldn't bother with all that. As a production guy, their broadcasts annoy me mainly because it looks like a 10 year old produced the whole thing.

Krejlooc

Banned
Unless you're very funny and have a funny group of guys with you, I wouldn't bother with all that. As a production guy, their broadcasts annoy me mainly because it looks like a 10 year old produced the whole thing.

I don't care if people find me funny or not, I'm going to live stream this. As I've done many times in the past.

One of the dudes who will be live streaming with us works production on NCIS: New orleans.

XRA

Neo Member

i think the issue is the lack of positional tracking, I get motion sick like that from the DK1. With the Vive Pre I haven't gotten motion sick, since all the subtle shifts in position that your head makes are tracked accurately.

I don't care if people find me funny or not, I'm going to live stream this. As I've done many times in the past.

One of the dudes who will be live streaming with us works production on NCIS: New orleans.

If you give us a few examples of what you are thinking we might be able to give a better opinion. There are just so many ways to do it or potentially do it that it would probably be better if you narrowed it down to a few options for us to choose from, that is, if you actually want our opinions lol.

Zalusithix

I'd say for the Vive, a setup like used in this Hover Junkers video is the most useful as it gives the game, the play zone, and a first person perspective of your hands / controllers in real life directly mapped to the game versions. Between the three you can clearly see the interaction between all the elements of the Vive for any room scale or standing experience.

Edit: Actually I don't even think this is possible live. At least not with the go pro they use strapped to the headset - that would have to be done in post. I suppose a webcam could work, but latency vs the onscreen action could be an issue. Then there's the weight and mounting. Probably not worth it for a one time event.

newsguy

Yeah I meant don't bother with all the green screening and having a bunch of people taking up screen space. Not streaming itself

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Ideally we'd have access to the approach Valve is working on in Unity with a third Lighthouse controller strapped to a camera for greenscreen self-insertion into the game.

In the mean time, I'd say consider including a view from behind you. It makes it a lot easier to watch and match your head and controller movements to what's seen in the game.

You can still include a talking-heads panel too, but the over-the-shoulder one is the most interesting for me as a viewer.

b0bbyJ03

I just saw a review for Eve Valkrie with the Rift and I can say I've never in my life been so excited about a piece of tech ever. After trying out the Vive for the first time last week and watching that I don't know how I'm gonna sleep. Lol.

Random question/thought: Did the Rift not including touch in the box open it up more to monitor comparisons than it needed to be?

Seems to me a lot of the disappointment or apathy I saw today was from gamers who leveraged their reference point of games on monitors and TVs to directly compare the value proposition VR was offering in the form of the Rift. Sometimes it didn't compare favorably. Sometimes the games could arguably be better experiences on a TV or monitor. And that, in my estimation, is often because those games are running by way of the standard controller, which inherently limits showing what VR as a medium can offer. It's...a half-measure. As a result, the Rift looks like a glorified monitor to be compared in a traditional pros/cons way against other monitors. In a number of today's games, the Rift acted in a fashion often similar to a window into the gaming worlds of their games rather than actually being IN the world. As a result, criticism flowed more freely than anticipated. The Rift had to justify its existence by direct comparison to what TV/monitor versions of its games are like or could have been like. That's a hard comparison to win with these early, more "proof of concept" games.

Consequently, the launch of the Vive strikes me as even more important than it was a day ago. Why? As the VR product that is featuring a design built around standing, room scale and touch at its core, very few of the Vive games we'll see played next week by GB or whomever will be games that they will say, "yea...this may have been better (or even do-able) on a regular TV..." once they take their HMDs off. Because they can't be. Hover Junkers doesn't work without stand/room and touch. Space Pirate Trainer doesn't work either. Audio Shield doesn't work without touch controllers. So on and so forth. And so the Vive launch strikes me as the first really clear opportunity to see how gaming journalists really respond to the full VR experience, as it should largely look and feel different to them than anything else and any other way they've played games. One where immersion isn't something talked about, but experienced. And that response will give us some ideas into how the response to the Vive's Touch will look.

Random question/thought: Did the Rift not including touch in the box open it up more to monitor comparisons than it needed to be?

Seems to me a lot of the disappointment or apathy I saw today was from gamers who leveraged their reference point of games on monitors and TVs to directly compare the value proposition VR was offering in the form of the Rift. Sometimes it didn't compare favorably. Sometimes the games could arguably be better experiences on a TV or monitor. And that, in my estimation, is often because those games are running by way of the standard controller, which inherently limits showing what VR as a medium can offer. It's...a half-measure. As a result, the Rift looks like a glorified monitor to be compared in a traditional pros/cons way against other monitors. In a number of today's games, the Rift acted in a fashion often similar to a window into the gaming worlds of their games rather than actually being IN the world. As a result, criticism flowed more freely than anticipated. The Rift had to justify its existence by direct comparison to what TV/monitor versions of its games are like or could have been like. That's a hard comparison to win with these early, more "proof of concept" games.

Consequently, the launch of the Vive strikes me as even more important than it was a day ago. Why? As the VR product that is featuring a design built around standing, room scale and touch at its core, very few of the Vive games we'll see played next week by GB or whomever will be games that they will say, "yea...this may have been better (or even do-able) on a regular TV..." once they take their HMDs off. Because they can't be. Hover Junkers doesn't work without stand/room and touch. Space Pirate Trainer doesn't work either. Audio Shield doesn't work without touch controllers. So on and so forth. And so the Vive launch strikes me as the first really clear opportunity to see how gaming journalists really respond to the full VR experience, as it should largely look and feel different to them than anything else and any other way they've played games. One where immersion isn't something talked about, but experienced. And that response will give us some ideas into how the response to the Vive's Touch will look.

I pretty much agree. VR is dependant on immersion right now. Games will arguably look worse on VR headsets. If you don't provide immersion or unique gameplay then the value proposition is impossible to sell. And not just $$$ value- time value too. You need more than a head mounted right joystick

VR launched in the awkward stage where it isn't able to clearly offer function outside of games either. The resolution isn't there to branch out as a complete desktop replacement or video player. At least not for the masses. People will use it and enjoy it for those, but it leans more towards novelty than mainstream

My fear with the Vive REVIEWS will be lack of fresh content. Most reviewers and tech sites will have played most of the early Vive releases so much that the "wow" won't translate into the review

I think room-scale experiences will keep me entertained for the duration of the Vive's lifetime, even if it's just a few new demos/short experiences a month. But critics tend to need more than that to grant rave reviews on a $900 accessory =/

Onemic

This pretty much sums up the lukewarm reception the launch has had nicely. That GB livestream was pretty much evident of that. Most of the games weren't Immersive to them at all and gave me a "monitor stuck to your face" vibe

Vice needs to knock it outta the park now

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This pretty much sums up the lukewarm reception the launch has had nicely. That GB livestream was pretty much evident of that. Most of the games weren't Immersive to them at all and gave me a "monitor stuck to your face" vibe

Vice needs to knock it outta the park now

You always have to run the GB stuff through a filter though. Eg Jeff seems lukewarm on EVE, but later on in the stream he reference it and he'd been playing it all week. His main complaints were mechanically as a game, and specifically the combat. I think he was pretty into it in VR generally but it doesn't always come across

The Gb stream was very patchy too. There was a phase where they hated almost everything, but other times where you could see them enjoying things. Little games like fly to kuma which you would normally dismiss but looked fun in VR. They seemed to like the tabletop style too with defence grid and air mech. And Brad seemed to really enjoy farlands - although perhaps as much for imagining what a viva piñata version might be like

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Yeah, unfortunately it seems that the "poison the well is not limited to Minecraft". The seated experience with a normal gamepad (it will be much better with a wheel and HOTAS but that's not the experience of of the box) just generates an unfavourable comparison due to the compromises and hardware prices. In the end if there is nothing added to the gameplay you start asking yourself if you would buy such a game normally.

You always have to run the GB stuff through a filter though. Eg Jeff seems lukewarm on EVE, but later on in the stream he reference it and he'd been playing it all week.

Yeah, but it isn't like another EVE comes out a week after launch, so how much the games keep you play is also a valid concern.

Monger

Yes, it did. The disappointing thing about it is, this was predictable and goes completely against the whole gold standard of VR headsets and not poisoning the well line they had in regards to Sony.

You always have to run the GB stuff through a filter though. Eg Jeff seems lukewarm on EVE, but later on in the stream he reference it and he'd been playing it all week. His main complaints were mechanically as a game, and specifically the combat. I think he was pretty into it in VR generally but it doesn't always come across

The Gb stream was very patchy too. There was a phase where they hated almost everything, but other times where you could see them enjoying things. Little games like fly to kuma which you would normally dismiss but looked fun in VR. They seemed to like the tabletop style too with defence grid and air mech. And Brad seemed to really enjoy farlands - although perhaps as much for imagining what a viva piñata version might be like

Unfortunately, it wasn't just gb though. This was exciting two years ago.

Wallach

Yeah, but it isn't like another EVE comes out a week after launch, so how much the games keep you play is also a valid concern.

Right, I actually agree. People should not lose perspective - especially those that are already putting money down to be early adopters - that a lot of these folks are gamers who have expectations about software set by a couple decades of rising standards in "traditional" gaming and are basically reviewing these experiences because it was given to them to do so, not because they sought it out.

This is the nature of launch software on a new platform. Especially if that platform has new technology that has never really been explored in design space. I hope you keep your expectations grounded if you plan to watch guys like Giant Bomb experience the Vive next week too, because there's going to be a very similar theme; technology is great, software is maybe not what justifies paying for that technology right then. Because that software is going to be in its infancy.

Onemic

I did notice that they opened up to it towards the end, especially with darknet, which Jeff seemed to really dig.

The Main takeaway though seems to be that seated vr isn't that immersive unless its a driving or cockpit game with a peripheral. Most if not all outlets lamented the lack of motion controls and saw their absence as a huge negative on the overall experience.

Top Bottom