• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The Giant Bomb guys were really down on the Wii, much more so than I was certainly. It's worth bearing in mind. If they love the Vive, that's going to say a lot more than if they don't. Don't be surprised if they brand everything tech demoes that are only fun because of the novelty of room space though.

The stuff they seemed to enjoy the most on the Rift was the stuff that was most like traditional games. Like Lucky's and VR Tennis. If that Tennis game was with motion controls, they'd have probably hated it.

oh I'm totally expecting this. Even though several games in the rift livestream they mentioned would be more suited to motion controls, I don't know if the games currently available will make a difference.

Fantastic Contraption is probably my only hope as far as games go, and maybe they'll like Tiltbrush enough to see potential in motion controls/room scale to not be quite as down on it as they have been of the rift.

Assuming they won't try Budget Cuts as it is only a demo and not out for a while.

Riptwo

The Dreamdeck is impossible to stand still on. You will walk around. Without chaperone, you will bump into things (bookshelves, Rock Band 4 drums, sliding windows to name a few). With chaperone... you won't bump into things, but you're still going to have constant reminders of the real world limitations of your space (albeit less surprising and painful ones!). I almost never hit the bounds of the camera's FOV. The positional tracking is much better than on the DK2. Orders of magnitude better.
Yeah, I was feeling this too. Without a large, dedicated space, movement feels really restricted. I thought that my office would be reasonable enough, but it turns out that it really, really isn't! I'm having the same space problems that I had with Kinect, but at least in that scenario I could see the couch that I was about to run into. Haha.

viveks86

This is what the effect looks like on the Rift:

thething-filmtitle9asuh.png

It's a feature, you guys...

:p

It's a feature, you guys...

:p

Heh. It's really curious to me how Oculus show their white logo against black backgrounds though as their software loads. Like, way to highlight a flaw with the optics. This flaw is much harder to see when in a game, and in some games I didn't notice it at all. But you'll absolutely notice it on the Oculus logo when you start one of their pieces of software.

Heh. It's really curious to me how Oculus show their white logo against black backgrounds though as their software loads. Like, way to highlight a flaw with the optics. This flaw is much harder to see when in a game, and in some games I didn't notice it at all. But you'll absolutely notice it on the Oculus logo when you start one of their pieces of software.

Oh wow, that seems like a weird decision.

Launch day has been a lot of negative revelations and pretty much no good surprises for the Rift. At least the Vive has been out in the wild without NDA, so we're much less likely to be taken off guard.

I'm glad I'm fortunate enough to be able to get preorders for Rift and Vive in the first wave so I'll be able to do my own comparisons to see which I prefer. I won't need to rely on measurements which don't really get across the complete merits of either setup or impressions which naturally may have varying degrees of confirmation bias given that people are committing a lot of money to this.

Did we already have a discussion about this?

Yes. TLDR, this measurement may be accurate, but it doesn't represent what it's like to actually use the headsets. No one is saying the DK2 has the widest FOV of all four of these headsets, for example.

And I sure as shit can't see that much of the other eye in my Gear VR.

Zalusithix

Yes. TLDR, this measurement may be accurate, but it doesn't represent what it's like to actually use the headsets. No one is saying the DK2 has the widest FOV of all four of these headsets, for example.

And I sure as shit can't see that much of the other eye in my Gear VR.

Hell, the Gear VR image is already clipping against parts of the headset even at that distance.

viveks86

Can anyone comment on steam controller working on games purchased through the Oculus store? Is there anyway for steam overlay to work, like launching non-steam games via steam?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
After watching Giant Bombs stream yesterday... I think im going to pass on the oculus and look into getting the Vive. It seems like the extra hundred dollars is worth it. Having that "space" to play in makes a difference for me personally.

I'm also considering the Vive more, now. I'll wait and see after the Vive launch, for sure. While it's expensive, it's not that much more when you factor in the motion controls for Rift (which I'd definitely be buying). Another plus would be I could potentially get the Vive earlier, as my current Rift estimate is July.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I spent some time persuading my wife we needed to make more space in the spare room - just because, you know, more space is good. Now she is already planning how to use that extra space for laundry shit.

deadfolk

I'm also considering the Vive more, now. I'll wait and see after the Vive launch, for sure. While it's expensive, it's not that much more when you factor in the motion controls for Rift (which I'd definitely be buying). Another plus would be I could potentially get the Vive earlier, as my current Rift estimate is July.

I'm with you there. I'm 90% sure I am going to cancel my Rift order in the next few days and keep the Vive one. Nothing to do with the quality of the Rift or the launch titles...it's just that I am coming to the realisation that room scale stuff seems a lot more fun than I had been expecting.

The main thing that had been holding me back was the backlog on Rift orders, and the permanence of losing my spot, but the way they are (not) handling communication about when anybody might expect to receive their unit is starting to push me into Gabe's warm embrace.

I spent some time persuading my wife we needed to make more space in the spare room - just because, you know, more space is good. Now she is already planning how to use that extra space for laundry shit.

You should have seen the look my wife gave me when I said the words 'sofa bed' talking about our guest bedroom that gets used for guests maybe three nights a year. 'Wouldn't it just be easier to move the bed in and out than go out and buy a sofa bed?' she said.

I have no idea where her hatred of sofa beds comes from.

taoofjord

I can currently max out my room space for the Vive at 9' x 11' which is okay for now but I'll definitely make sure the next place we live has a room dedicated to VR. Or at the least, a wide open spot in the basement for it. The thirst for a larger play area no matter what you have is real.

Ocelott

Can't decide between the HTC Vive or the PlayStation VR. I am worried about PS VRs low specs but HTC might not have the library that Sony has.

Bsigg12

I can currently max out my room space for the Vive at 9' x 11' which is okay for now but I'll definitely make sure the next place we live has a room dedicated to VR. Or at the least, a wide open spot in the basement for it. The thirst for a larger play area no matter what you have is real.

That 9x10 will only really be 8x9. From what I've seen and read, you'll want to add a buffer of at least a foot between the walls/objects and your designated play space.

We're in the process of buying the house we currently rent. As cool as room scale VR may be, I'm not moving house for it. I'll potentially buy a sofa bed and a dedicated small form factor PC for it though, once we have the money.

taoofjord

We're in the process of buying the house we currently rent. As cool as room scale VR may be, I'm not moving house for it. I'll potentially buy a sofa bed and a dedicated small form factor PC for it though, once we have the money.

Oh yeah, absolutely. There's no reason to change all that just for VR.

Besides, I have no doubt that anyone able to hit the 15 x 15 limit will still want more space. Best to just do what you can and not worry about it, even though that may take some time to cope with the space you have.

Walpurgis

Banned
Anyone know of a really good VR demonstrations/videos without someone screaming? I really liked that video of the old woman using Oculus for the first time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You should have seen the look my wife gave me when I said the words 'sofa bed' talking about our guest bedroom that gets used for guests maybe three nights a year. 'Wouldn't it just be easier to move the bed in and out than go out and buy a sofa bed?' she said.

I have no idea where her hatred of sofa beds comes from.

we have a sofa bed for those three nights a year someone needs the spare room. We agreed one of those high inflatable mattresses would be fine - our guests can use our bedroom as it has an en suite bathroom, and we'll use the inflatable.

I got plenty of 'are you sure' comments when I showed illustrations of rearranging furniture. 'but isn't everything squashed down one end of the room?'. Er, maybe....a little...

Was there something wrong with how they setup Elite Dangerous for the Giant Bomb stream yesterday? The FOV didn't look right to me at all on the video feed. It looked very claustrophobic and not like the Rift Elite Dangerous videos I've seen in the past.

Was there something wrong with how they setup Elite Dangerous for the Giant Bomb stream yesterday? The FOV didn't look right to me at all on the video feed. It looked very claustrophobic and not like the Rift Elite Dangerous videos I've seen in the past.

They had a lot of trouble setting it up... but also what it outputs in 2D isn't necessarily what the person in game is seeing in terms of FOV etc.

bj00rn_

Banned
This is rational evaluation of a physical measurement.

"Physical measurements" needs better context to parse it to photons you can actually see. Is this really likely evidence for the DK2 ending up the king of FOV (and beside the even better DK1..?)? I find the thought absurd. I'm just cautious and want to wait a bit to see more context to see if this turns out confirmed, or in case things aren't quite as they first appeared.

But if this ends up being confirmed still, I'll show you and the rest of the world how real nerd-rage looks like! (basically only "shout" at Oculus with measly words and press "cancel" on my pre-order - And then go hug my Viv..WIFE!)

bj00rn_

Banned
Can't decide between the HTC Vive or the PlayStation VR. I am worried about PS VRs low specs but HTC might not have the library that Sony has.

I suspect the Vive via OpenVR will have a much larger library than PSVR ever will. However, you'll miss out on the Sony exclusives of course. But are those exclusives more worth than the room-scale exclusives (because in practice they will be "exclusives" without dedicated native room-scale options)? I think not.

Robotic exoskeletons are required. I don't expect them to be affordable any time soon. I'm not buying anything until there is good software support and they do more than emulate joypads or whatever.

The Omni doesn't always emulate keyboard/joypad (depende on the software, of course). It actually tracks movement (and even decouples torso/head).

Krejlooc has a thread up for it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1195347

It's a good short/mid-term solution for VR-converted games (and would do wonders with Ethan Carter).

Plus, is relatively small and cheap.

But I agree, we're a long way off.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Getting really annoyed here trying to install the Oculus software. Always bombs out with this and none of the workarounds I've tried have worked. Seems to be a permissions issue of some sort but I'm not sure why.

[Error] [3/29/2016 7:12:17 PM] Uncaught exception!
System.InvalidOperationException: This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified.
at System.Security.AccessControl.CommonAcl.ThrowIfNotCanonical()
at System.Security.AccessControl.CommonAcl.AddQualifiedAce(SecurityIdentifier sid, AceQualifier qualifier, Int32 accessMask, AceFlags flags, ObjectAceFlags objectFlags, Guid objectType, Guid inheritedObjectType)
at System.Security.AccessControl.DiscretionaryAcl.AddAccess(AccessControlType accessType, SecurityIdentifier sid, Int32 accessMask, InheritanceFlags inheritanceFlags, PropagationFlags propagationFlags)
at System.Security.AccessControl.CommonObjectSecurity.ModifyAccess(AccessControlModification modification, AccessRule rule, Boolean& modified)
at System.Security.AccessControl.CommonObjectSecurity.AddAccessRule(AccessRule rule)
at Dawn.Setup.InstallLibrarianStep.CreateRegistryKeys()
at Dawn.Setup.InstallLibrarianStep.InstallImpl()
at Dawn.Mixins.SafeCallMixin(Func`1 func, String title, String caller)
[Debug] [3/29/2016 7:12:17 PM] Install 'Set up C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus and OVRLibrarian.' failed.
[Warning] [3/29/2016 7:12:17 PM] Rolling back installation.
[Debug] [3/29/2016 7:12:17 PM] Uninstall 'Set up C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus and OVRLibrarian.' succeeded.
[Debug] [3/29/2016 7:12:17 PM] Uninstall 'Install necessary redistributables.' succeeded.
[Debug] [3/29/2016 8:06:08 PM] Removing temp directory.
[Warning] [3/29/2016 8:06:11 PM] Couldn't remove temp directory.
[Debug] [3/29/2016 8:06:11 PM] Exiting with code 1.

lmimmfn

I got plenty of 'are you sure' comments when I showed illustrations of rearranging furniture. 'but isn't everything squashed down one end of the room?'. Er, maybe....a little...
Pictures big nearly empty room with everything pilled on top in a corner. "Its fine"
I can relate to that lol

Walpurgis

Banned
Did you see the video of the artist painting Slimer in Tilt Brush. It was just mentioned in one of the VR threads and it's really awesome. I'll look for a link.

Two different tilt brush videos:

https://youtu.be/w20A6Caz8Ng
http://youtu.be/EYY-DZ14i9E

I just watched the second one and all I have to say is wow. After decades of traditional controller based gameplay, I feel like game developers have been given a new blank canvas to innovate on. The possibilities are endless.

Clockwork5

It looked like Elite only pushed the image from one eye to the monitor.

Durante

Still catching up on all the new information since yesterday.

It's pretty disappointing to me that CV1 seems to be a step back (or at the very least, not an improvement) over DK2 FoV, which was in turn a clear step back from DK1 FoV. Also, that perfectly round 105°+ Vive FoV is a beauty.

What's most surprising though is the brightness difference, since at least we heard a bit about the FoV difference in advance. But 390 vs 130 lux? Wow.

lmimmfn

What's most surprising though is the brightness difference, since at least we heard a bit about the FoV difference in advance. But 390 vs 130 lux? Wow.
Very very disappointed to hear about the brightness difference. I love the brightness in DK2, im also worried about the glare from the fresnel lenses.

YuShtink

It's pretty disappointing to me that CV1 seems to be a step back (or at the very least, not an improvement) over DK2 FoV, which was in turn a clear step back from DK1 FoV. Also, that perfectly round 105°+ Vive FoV is a beauty.

Funnily enough if those measurements are actually true, the Vive also technically has a smaller FOV than DK2.

http://imgur.com/dNXa4WD

No one who wasn't under nda appeared to notice. That should tell you something.

Durante

Funnily enough if those measurements are actually true, the Vive also technically has a smaller FOV than DK2.
DK2 FoV in the corners is pretty useless though, due to optical distortion. I'd argue it's more important to have more directly horizontal and vertical FoV -- at least those are the boundaries I commonly notice actively with my DK2.

No one who wasn't under nda appeared to notice. That should tell you something.
Actually someone did notice, post about it on Reddit, and got banned from the Oculus reddit. That does tell me something in retrospect.

Generally, I'm not someone to care much what people say or notice when objective measurements are available ;)

Ocelott

I suspect the Vive via OpenVR will have a much larger library than PSVR ever will. However, you'll miss out on the Sony exclusives of course. But are those exclusives more worth than the room-scale exclusives (because in practice they will be "exclusives" without dedicated native room-scale options)? I think not.

PSVR will most definitely have a bigger library. Lower cost and higher install base.

Makes the choice very hard. Leaning towards the HTC VTC.

Top Bottom