• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Actually someone did notice, post about it on Reddit, and got banned from the Oculus reddit. That does tell me something in retrospect.

Generally, I'm not someone to care much what people say or notice when objective measurements are available ;)

That particular user was not banned due to that comment, they had an extensive history of trolling the sub with anti-Oculus fud and generally being a combative git.

Also as plagiarize noted earlier the perceived fov is what should matter, and it seems that it is most certainly not lower than dk2's.

Makes the choice very hard. Leaning towards the HTC VTC.
If I was only getting one, I would get the vive. It just has so much more of an experience to it. I do expect quite a bit of sony pushed exclusives for PSVR though, and those will have a larger budget than a lot of the vive exclusives will. Still, I think the more advanced tech would win out for me for sure.

I ordered both anyway, so w/e

Getting really annoyed here trying to install the Oculus software. Always bombs out with this and none of the workarounds I've tried have worked. Seems to be a permissions issue of some sort but I'm not sure why.

Been dealing with this issue myself. Changed permissions once and it went through, even got to play some Lucky's Tale on my dk2, once I exited Oculus Home went completely unresponsive, couldn't install anything, had to force quit. Haven't been able to reinstall since after an uninstall. Sure hope this is fixed before I get my CV1 on Friday :/

Durante

I've just watched this video because it was linked from a brightness discussion, and now I'm sad we can't get illegally bright HMDs already :p
(Great presentation though)

That particular user was not banned due to that comment, they had an extensive history of trolling the sub with anti-Oculus fud and generally being a combative git.
It seems like most of the "fud" turned out to be information.

teiresias

I have an important question, perhaps THE most important question of all.

What kind of stands are people planning to use to store their headsets?

I have a PSVR pre-ordered and am frankly amazed Sony doesn't have some overpriced official stand available for pre-order yet.

I will have an Occulus or Vice for PC use though, so what is everyone thinking for this? Fashionable clear glass mannequin head?

Krejlooc

Banned
It seems like most of the "fud" turned out to be information.

a good number of his posts were out and out lies, however. like when he posted a picture of the DK2 optics and called them the CV1 lenses.

The guy basically was passing along everything anybody told him, whether it was true or not. He was pretty much just a conduit with an agenda.

Durante

I have an important question, perhaps THE most important question of all.

What kind of stands are people planning to use to store their headsets?

I'll put it on the floor. I'm not sacrificing even a cm of my room-scale space in the VR room for superfluous things like stands :p

(I'm joking... maybe)

a good number of his posts were out and out lies, however.
Admittedly I hardly studied his entire history. I'm generally not much into reddit. I just found it amusing that all his information about FoV and brightness was called "fud" too initially, and now we have actual measurements that confirm it.

artsi

Personally I'm not concerned about Rift brightness, as I have pretty light sensitive eyes and I always turn my monitors to almost zero brightness in dark.

FOV seems fine too after seeing that one GIF, but most I'm worried about is eyeglass compatibility because technical specs don't matter jack shit if I can't fit the HMD in my head.

My sight isn't super bad though so if the focus is at 1,5m or something I might still see without glasses, but I'm still thinking if I should order Vive sooner or bet on the alternative facial interface coming available soon.

bj00rn_

Banned
Someone measured 390 lux for Vive, 140 for DK2 and 130 for CV1.

I'm becoming more and more puzzled..Considering history combined with common logical sense, this makes no..sense. The DK2 (and the king..(good god..); the DK1) has a wider FOV and brighter display..? If this turns out absolute fact valid all the way through then this is officially clusterfuck-time big time. Oculus' target is after-all high end enthusiasts, so how is this happening backwards.

..Wait, am I nerd-raging now..? Fuuck..

DK2 FoV in the corners is pretty useless though, due to optical distortion. I'd argue it's more important to have more directly horizontal and vertical FoV -- at least those are the boundaries I commonly notice actively with my DK2.

Actually someone did notice, post about it on Reddit, and got banned from the Oculus reddit. That does tell me something in retrospect.

Generally, I'm not someone to care much what people say or notice when objective measurements are available ;)
I was talking about brightness. I didn't hear anyone complaining about the brightness or saying the Vive seemed brighter. Some people had said Vive had a better fov, but I heard nothing about brightness.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Someone measured 390 lux for Vive, 140 for DK2 and 130 for CV1.

Oh ok, I thought 390 was for DK2. Good to hear!

I found there was a similar difference in brightness levels between the lightboost hack on my Asus VG278H and ULMB on the ROG Swift PG278Q. I hadn't been using ULMB on the Swift as a result. Really happy to hear they got that strobe brightness sorted out on the Vive.

I was talking about brightness. I didn't hear anyone complaining about the brightness or saying the Vive seemed brighter. Some people had said Vive had a better fov, but I heard nothing about brightness.

Could it be a similarity in the default calibration? People crank it up for brightness tests.

The DK2 (and the king..(good god..); the DK1) has a wider FOV and brighter display..?

The DK1 was brighter because it didn't strobe (not "low persistence"). Wish they'd just call it strobing backlight, but I get that people could be put off by that.
Edit: more like strobing pixels on OLED, actually.

Zalusithix

The thing that interested me the most about the FoV images wasn't the actual FoV but how well the projected image of the Vive matches the stencil mesh from Alex Vlachos 2015 GDC presentation.

Durante

I'm becoming more and more puzzled..Considering history combined with common logical sense, this makes no..sense. The DK2 (and the king..(good god..); the DK1) has a wider FOV and brighter display..? If this turns out absolute fact valid all the way through then this is officially clusterfuck-time big time. Oculus' target is after-all high end enthusiasts, so how is this happening backwards.

..Wait, am I nerd-raging now..? Fuuck..
Someone had the theory that the lower brightness is to mitigate the Fresnel lens glare, but since the Vive is also using Fresnel lenses that doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense either.

As I said, I also found these results surprising. (But after watching that presentation I linked above it seems like we need 5000 lux displays anyway for the real beach experience :p)

The thing that interested me the most about the FoV images wasn't the actual FoV but how well the projected image of the Vive matches the stencil mesh from Alex Vlachos 2015 GDC presentation.
Yeah, I also noticed that.
Valve clearly had this stuff figured out quite a while ago.

libertytoast

Neo Member
So now that the Rift and its launch titles are out in the wild, as well as the Vive Pre (which is basically the consumer version), do we know if anyone is looking into a workaround to make those games playable on the Vive?

Granted a large chunk of them don't seem worthwhile, but Airmech VR looks like a ton of fun.

Krejlooc

Banned
Admittedly I hardly studied his entire history. I'm generally not much into reddit. I just found it amusing that all his information about FoV and brightness was called "fud" too initially, and now we have actual measurements that confirm it.

I think the fervor about those posts is much lower than the stuff that got him banned. He had some ridiculous posts in between the ones that were right.

Although, tbh, I dont think he should have been banned period, I think best thing to do is just deal with the fud and let the facts speak for themselves.

I think the fervor about those posts is much lower than the stuff that got him banned. He had some ridiculous posts in between the ones that were right.

Although, tbh, I dont think he should have been banned period, I think best thing to do is just deal with the fud and let the facts speak for themselves.

I think he just decided to act as a counterbalance to Heaney555. Can hardly blame him.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
/r/ oculus is a goddamn shit show, my god...

Anyways I'm really excited about Oculus and Vive launches, mostly to see how the products stack up, and to see what happens with software and hardware advancements in the following years. Kinda glad I'm waiting out the initial wave though... Wonder how long it will be before we hear any kind of news regarding CV2's

Onemic

The perception of image quality between the Vive and Cv1 is getting murkier every day. More and more people are saying the Vive has the highest image quality of all the HMD's. The GB crew is now another group to add to this list. It's getting confusing as hell.

Zalusithix

The perception of image quality between the Vive and Cv1 is getting murkier every day. More and more people are saying the Vive has the highest image quality of all the HMD's. The GB crew is now another group to add to this list. It's getting confusing as hell.

Does GB have both on hand? Memory is a horrible thing to run on. Humans absolutely suck at that sort of thing.

bj00rn_

Banned
Speaking about reddit.. Here's another perspective on the FOV-drama-clusterfuck-thingy from the claimed developer who broke the NDA with his comparison last week (where he wrote that he preferred the Vive's FOV because of the shape and vertical FOV but also noted that the FOV on the Rift was marginally wider than the Vive (and wider than the DK2)):

ZeroInformation said:
FOV doesn't work how you think it does. In reality your eye doesn't touch the lense and your eye's cornea doesn't rotate around the eye's perfect center. There is a reason Brandon isn't showing you a comparison of the stereo overlap and the combined FOV of both viewports. It doesn't fit his biased narrative.
In reality you don't get a 110° FOV with a DK1 or a 100° FOV with a DK2. The rendered FOV is not representative of the perceived one. None of the headsets give you a perfect 1:1 translation from rendered to perceived FOV and in my case and from what my co-workers say the perceived FOV of CV1 is higher than that of DK2.
The Rift uses hybrid lenses. The Vive does have circular flare-like artefacts but they are not too bad and the Rift doesn't have them at all.
I stand by that. I don't see artefacts with CV1 and barely with the Vive.

https://np.reddit.com/r/oculus/comm...a_from_stress_level_zero_test_results/d1hkbxo

Durante

Speaking about reddit.. Here's another perspective on the FOV-drama-clusterfuck-thingy from the claimed developer who broke the NDA with his comparison last week
Well, that's (that is, the fact that FoV is a function of eye distance) obvious. It has been the case since DK1, and it's why I always say that using any of these HMDs with glasses is far from ideal (since it reduces your FoV).

Still, at the end of the day this will apply to all the FoV measurements. Maybe not exactly linearly, but that the Vive FoV is significantly larger in both the horizontal and especially vertical extent seems beyond doubt now.

The fact that the CV1 has less SDE, that alone puts Oculus above Vive in terms of IQ, for me

So where do your buying habits turn turn now since VR is out. Will you look at getting more VR games and less traditional? More games in general? Any thoughts?

Absinthe

Yuuuuuuup. After all the fov drama to start the day, I shouldn't be shocked it turned out to be not nearly as much of an issue as it was made out to be.

Fanbois gonna fanboi

Also /vive is even worse. So much BS trying to shit on Oculus to make themselves feel that "they made the right decision" its a joke.

We should all be happy VR is here and is this damn good on all headsets!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Outside of creepy decapitated mannequin heads, how do people plan on storing VR headsets? I'm wary about just leaving it out in the open. That and my SO would never allow it. Hell she puts my headphone (banana) hanger away and hidden the closet.

You just gave me an idea. I'll use my wife's............

e763a07a981fd469e2c7036398a96cfe.jpg

She can rock my PSVR when I get it in October.

Durante

So where do your buying habits turn turn now since VR is out. Will you look at getting more VR games and less traditional? More games in general? Any thoughts?
I'll buy everything which is halfway decent and focused on room-scale VR. I assume it will need all the support it can get.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well, that's (that is, the fact that FoV is a function of eye distance) obvious. It has been the case since DK1, and it's why I always say that using any of these HMDs with glasses is far from ideal (since it reduces your FoV).

Still, at the end of the day this will apply to all the FoV measurements. Maybe not exactly linearly, but that the Vive FoV is significantly larger in both the horizontal and especially vertical extent seems beyond doubt now.

This was my understanding too, but somehow I thought that I miss something. If the FOV is like it is measured at the lens, when measured further away from the eye decreases for all of the HMDs. It decreases faster on DK1 and DK2 to the point that the perceived FOV for CV1 is slightly better (?) than those, but for CV1 and Vive the difference should be pretty relevant even for the perceived FOV seeing as the lenses are quite similar, no? Plus Vive has adjustable distance to the lenses so you could theoretically brush your eyelashes to the lens if you really want as far as I read. Is anything in this line of thought wrong?

You can't perceive more than is rendered.

Ya it's strange. 2 weeks ago it was almost consensus among speculators that Rift would be superior on optics and display

TheRed

Just bought Subnautica on the oculus store, just waiting for Oculus to take my money for the headset and start shipping.

taoofjord

Strange USB 3.0/computer hardware question related to VR. Let me know if I should post this in the desktop thread instead (sorry!)

I've got a Gigabye Z97X-SLI mobo that comes with plenty of 3.0 ports. However, in Windows 10 my device manager says the following when I go to USB controllers:

- Generic USB Hub
- Generic USB Hub
- Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
- Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
- Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
- USB Composite Device
- USB Composite Device
- USB Composite Device
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub (xHCI)

Why only one mention of 3.0? FYI, I updated to the latest BIOS and all my drivers should be updated.

That said, I've been having weird glitches with my USB ports. My Steam Controller sometimes stops functioning, I get a runtime error every time I connect my wireless Xbox One Controller, my USB wi-fi adapter frequently disables itself (and I have to re-enable it to get it to connect again), and sometimes my mouse freezes and clicking the mouse buttons then makes the internal PC speaker make weird old school beeping sounds.

I should also mention that my last desktop had similar problems with its USB devices. However, that computer'ss mobo was fried from static electric charges. Whenever I touched the tower or touched any device connected to the same or a different outlet in the same room, or even touched the windowsill near my computer desk the computer would reboot. My new desktop doesn't seem to react to static electricity but is still having similar USB related problems. Any help would be really appreciated.

StereoVsn

I am actually quite tempted by Vive now. Oculus looks to be in a weird place between PSVR and Vive and Vive does bring a lot of things to the table. Once you figure in multiple lighthouse "cameras" and touch controllers it's not really any more expensive then Oculus for a more open and better quality headset from the looks of things.

Meh, probably going to wait till fall and see as I really just have Elite and Eve Valkyrie as must play games (and latter is Oculus only). Have PS4VR on pre-order as well but waiting till this whole PS4.5 thing shakes out there and it's out in October anyway.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What's most surprising though is the brightness difference, since at least we heard a bit about the FoV difference in advance. But 390 vs 130 lux? Wow.

What does the brightness add or take away here when you compare the two?

pj

Banned
Still catching up on all the new information since yesterday.

It's pretty disappointing to me that CV1 seems to be a step back (or at the very least, not an improvement) over DK2 FoV, which was in turn a clear step back from DK1 FoV. Also, that perfectly round 105°+ Vive FoV is a beauty.

What's most surprising though is the brightness difference, since at least we heard a bit about the FoV difference in advance. But 390 vs 130 lux? Wow.

From my understanding it's not as big of a deal as it sounds. Our eyes see differences in brightness logarithmically, so it would be noticeable but not extremely different.

I think a rough analogy would be setting your A/V receiver to a comfortable volume, then increasing the volume by 4-5dB. In terms of sound output it's technically several times louder, but the perceived difference is not nearly that great.

Top Bottom