• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck. :p

I remember seeing The Two Towers at the Embassy (after the premiere of course) and it still had the gold name plates of the stars in each seat, mine was Brad Dourif's seat. D:

Good luck. :p

I remember seeing The Two Towers at the Embassy (after the premiere of course) and it still had the gold name plates of the stars in each seat, mine was Brad Dourif's seat. D:

I might be in New zealand again in december, so would have been sweet to check it out if there is any tickets available...but guess they are sold out.

I might be in New zealand again in december, so would have been sweet to check it out if there is any tickets available...but guess they are sold out.

I don't think they've been made available yet, worth a shot at least. It's also in late November.

Even if you don't make the premiere, Wellington is an awesome place to be during the event. The cast will probably have another parade across the city, plus hundreds of thousands of people. The ROTK one was amazing.

I don't think they've been made available yet, worth a shot at least. It's also in late November.

Even if you don't make the premiere, Wellington is an awesome place to be during the event. The cast will probably have another parade across the city, plus hundreds of thousands of people. The ROTK one was amazing.

hmm the premier of the film is in november in New zealand?

Yeah would be sweet to watch the film in NZ.
I was there last november-december fly fishing for 6 weeks and came a cross the film team as they where filming in a valley where I was fishing :)
saw the from a distance. pretty cool

I don't mind Colbert being in the movie at all. The guy's a big Tolkien fan, I'm sure he wouldn't want to mess with the series too much. I can't see it being anymore distracting than when Stephen Fry shows up.

Loxley

Honestly all they'd have to do is take his glasses off, put him in a wig and fake beard I doubt anyone would be able to recognize him. Besides, even if he has a line, he wouldn't be using his natural American accent either.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The Wargs seem to be inspired by this illustration by Ted Nasmith.

iHAa2ketBnylH.jpg

Beren and Luthien in the skins of Draugluin and Thuringwethil.

Aaron

That's a real dumb and impractical design for a weapon. He probably spends more time yanking it free of things than swinging it, and mending all the metal bits constantly breaking off.

Number45

Edmond Dantès;43412401 said:
Just in general really.
I'm not ignoring this, but I'm struggling to put my thoughts into words as that earlier part of the book struggled to draw me in. I recall Melkor being unwilling to blindly follow the design of Illuvatar, and him being jealous of Manwe - seemingly seeing himself (perhaps deceiving himself?) as the most powerful/important as the Valar.

I've also tried to start reading Paradise Lost but I'm struggling to get the flow if the text so I'm taking NOTHING in.

I'm actually thinking of reading the bible (after finding out what/how) before that, because it seems relevant to this discussion - and because it's been by far the longest victim of my to read pile.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'm not ignoring this, but I'm struggling to put my thoughts into words as that earlier part of the book struggled to draw me in. I recall Melkor being unwilling to blindly follow the design of Illuvatar, and him being jealous of Manwe - seemingly seeing himself (perhaps deceiving himself?) as the most powerful/important as the Valar.

I've also tried to start reading Paradise Lost but I'm struggling to get the flow if the text so I'm taking NOTHING in.

I'm actually thinking of reading the bible (after finding out what/how) before that, because it seems relevant to this discussion - and because it's been by far the longest victim of my to read pile.
The thing I've always taken from Melkor's fall is his jealously of Eru himself, his lust for creative abilities and the feeling of impotence that led him on a fruitless search for the Flame Imperishable (the Secret Fire that Gandalf refers to in his confrontation with the Balrog, so he was literally saying that "I am a servant of Eru") which he thought was the power behind Eru's creative abilities in the void. Little did he realise or was too blinded by hate to see it, that Eru was the Flame Imperishable.

A tip for Paradise Lost, start reading from the middle of a line and then read four lines in a row. That should make it easier to follow. Or just ignore the verse altogether and read it like you would read a story. Reading it out aloud also helps. You have to remember that John Milton was blind when he started work on Paradise Lost and he composed the poem via dictation with the help of friends and amanuenses.

As for the Bible, the King James Version published by Oxford World's Classics is a great version.

51VBca0iASL.jpg

Number45

Thanks again, I did some searching earlier and people have said reading it out loud helps but I'm not usually in a position to do that (I do most of my reading at work during breaks, which is why it takes me some time).

Found some recommendations on how best to read the bible as well. This seems logical, although I'm not ready to admit He's calling just yet.

Yeah, the ending of Animal Farm is seriously the creepiest thing (other than the birthday party in Signs) I've experienced in my adult life.

Seeing Serkis acting this out is going to be teeth-gritting.

It's going to be a very unsettling experience. A farm full of Gollums basically. I had this really strange recurring dream about Gollum after rewatching LotR a year back. He's such a love/hate character, Serkis's performance will probably go down in history.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It's going to be a very unsettling experience. A farm full of Gollums basically. I had this really strange recurring dream about Gollum after rewatching LotR a year back. He's such a love/hate character, Serkis's performance will probably go down in history.
Hope he gets some recognition from the Academy this time.

Yeah, the ending of Animal Farm is seriously the creepiest thing (other than the birthday party in Signs) I've experienced in my adult life.

Seeing Serkis acting this out is going to be teeth-gritting.

Eh, I dunno about that:

The article[/quote said:
"We're keeping it fable-istic and [aimed at] a family audience. We are not going to handle the politics in a heavy-handed fashion," Serkis explained. "It is going to be emotionally centered in a way that I don't think has been seen before. The point of view that we take will be slightly different to how it is normally portrayed and the characters-we are examining this in a new light."

I hope they don't lighten it up too much, but they definitely could.

Rootbeer

Banned
Edmond Dantès;43505912 said:
Hobbit Special Edition Score now available to pre-order

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009O07NDY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looks like the Special Edition will be the equivalent of the Complete Recordings of The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Looking forward to it leaking onto the internet about 2 weeks early!

I was hardcore into following LotR as it was being filmed back in the day. I remember the first ever leaked photo of Hobbiton getting online and the endless debates about rather it was fake or not (the shadows falling off the chimneys onto the top of the hobbit hole being a point of particular interest), another highlight was when the first music samples found their way online. I was very fond of probably the first track that got out: Concerning Hobbits.

I hope I get that same feeling when The Hobbit music reaches my ears. Expecting minimal re-use of old leitmotifs; this is an all-new trilogy and deserves its own major themes.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'm sure some of the LotR themes (especially the Hobbit material) will find its way in the new scores.
According to Doug Adams (writer of The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films book and the upcoming Music of The Hobbit Films), it's all going to be original.

Loxley

My assumption is that when we're in familiar territory like Hobbiton or Rivendell, we may hear reprises of what Shore did for LotR, albeit they'll sound slightly different since we're at a different point in Middle Earth's history. So we'd hear Concerning Hobbits, but played with various other instruments or with a different tone than what was used for LotR.

Either way, brand-spanking new Howard Shore stuff alone is worth the price of admission. The fact that there's a movie coming with it is just icing on the cake :)

bengraven

Eh, I dunno about that:

"We're keeping it fable-istic and [aimed at] a family audience. We are not going to handle the politics in a heavy-handed fashion," Serkis explained. "It is going to be emotionally centered in a way that I don't think has been seen before. The point of view that we take will be slightly different to how it is normally portrayed and the characters-we are examining this in a new light."

I hope they don't lighten it up too much, but they definitely could.

Whyyyyy?

The fucking thing, even stripped of politics is scary as shit for kids. This is like trying to make a G rated Pulp Fiction. I do NOT consider AF a kid's book.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
From the article; Christopher Lee's one and only meeting with Tolkien.
“We were sitting there talking and drinking beer, and someone said, ‘Oh, look who walked in.’ It was Professor Tolkien and I nearly fell off my chair.”

Christopher Lee, who gives twisted wizard Saruman the full weight of his basso menace, was unique among the cast and crew that would sprawl over the luscious islands of New Zealand. He was the only person who had actually met Tolkien. Forty-five years previously, he had gathered with some friends in Oxford, who decided to head out to The Eagle And Child (famously Tolkien’s local). And in he walked.

“I didn’t even know he was alive,” Lee recounts with the verve of a man who has dined out on the anecdote for the last two years. “He was a benign-looking man, smoking a pipe, an English countryman with earth under his feet. He was a genius, a man of incredible intellectual knowledge. And he knew somebody in our group. My friend said, ‘Oh, professor, professor,’ and he came over. Each one of us, I knelt of course, said, ‘How do you do?’ and I just said, ‘How… Ho… Ho.’ I just couldn’t believe it. I’ll never forget it.”

Whyyyyy?

The fucking thing, even stripped of politics is scary as shit for kids. This is like trying to make a G rated Pulp Fiction. I do NOT consider AF a kid's book.

On the contrary, I think it is a great book for children, but it should be fucking scary as shit. It's not a bad idea to scare kids with human problems. It's a way to learn. And those are the kinds of things that stick with you when you grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom