• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

I can appreciate his dedication as a fan in wanting to see the set and be envious that he got to and I did not. However, I will be very disappointed if I have to see his mug on screen at any point, even for a second.

Maybe they stuck him in a spoof easter egg akin to the MTV's Council of Elrond with Jack Black?

I would not be surprised if he was under heavy prosthetics (assuming he's in the movie at all), maybe some background dwarf with a throwaway line. They're too smart to not get that he's far too recognizable of a face to just shove in there, it would completely take everyone out of the film.

Number45

I would not be surprised if he was under heavy prosthetics (assuming he's in the movie at all), maybe some background dwarf with a throwaway line. They're too smart to not get that he's far too recognizable of a face to just shove in there, it would completely take everyone out of the film.
Not everywhere. I just had to Google him. :p

Edmond Dantès;43347639 said:
Truly. That‘s why Tolkien wanted The Silmarillion published alongside The Lord of the Rings.

Now for the Unfinished Tales. :)
And thanks for the recommendation, was going to ask where I should go next. This one, yes?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Not everywhere. I just had to Google him. :p

And thanks for the recommendation, was going to ask where I should go next. This one, yes?
Yes, that one.

In terms of narrative you have more on the Númenóreans (Aldarion and Erendis: The Mariner's Wife), a more detailed Children of Hurin, The Quest of Erebor which links into the events of The Hobbit, The Hunt for the Ring, and the History of Galadriel and Celeborn amongst other things. You get an understanding of why a great elf such as Galadriel saddled up with a pretty minor elf in the grand scheme of things.

After that I'd recommend the Mabinogion (Welsh mythology) which features the Tale of Culhwch and Olwen, the direct inspiration for the Tale of Beren and Luthien.

owc-mabinogion.jpg

And I reiterate what I said about Paradise Lost. A must read and the most influential poem for Tolkien when creating Melkor.

Also, now that you've read The Silmarillion, what is your opinion on the origin of all evil in Arda in comparison to the lesser Dark Lord you were more accustomed to.

Daft_Cat

Holy shit. They must spend like the first hour in Hobbiton.

I've got this sinking feeling that reception to this movie is going to be mixed.

Loxley

Holy shit. They must spend like the first hour in Hobbiton.

I've got this sinking feeling that reception to this movie is going to be mixed.

I've dubbed 2012 'The Year of Underwhelming Poo" due to the number of hyped-up blockbusters that ultimately came short of what people were expecting (the two exceptions being The Avengers and TDKR). So I don't blame people for being reserved after having been burned so many times this year.

All we've really got left this year are Skyfall and The Hobbit as far as the heavy-hitters are concerned. Skyfall has been getting excellent buzz lately based on private screenings. We likely won't be hearing anything about the quality of The Hobbit until mid-November at the earliest, so we'll just have to wait.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I've dubbed 2012 'The Year of Underwhelming Poo" due to the number of hyped-up blockbusters that ultimately came short of what people were expecting (the two exceptions being The Avengers and TDKR). So I don't blame people for being reserved after having been burned so many times this year.

All we've really got left this year are Skyfall and The Hobbit as far as the heavy-hitters are concerned. Skyfall has been getting excellent buzz lately based on private screenings. We likely won't be hearing anything about the quality of The Hobbit until mid-November at the earliest, so we'll just have to wait.

Well some people have seen rough cuts of An Unexpected Journey and have been impressed even without Howard Shore's score so that's something. And unlike most of the blockbusters this year, we'll know more than enough about how good AUJ is considering the 3 week gap between its world premiere and general release in December.

The film will pretty much be analysed to death by our Kiwi friends before we even see it.

This thread will have a lot of black bars during that period.

mattp

i really wish they would put out a list of how the movie is going to be shown and where

there's so many permutations
2d or 3d
digital or imax
24 or 48fps

2d 48fps pls. dont care if its imax or not

Blader

i really wish they would put out a list of how the movie is going to be shown and where

there's so many permutations
2d or 3d
digital or imax
24 or 48fps

2d 48fps pls. dont care if its imax or not

Six total I think: 2D, 3D, IMAX 3D -- each in 24fps and 48fps.

Daft_Cat

Edmond Dantès;43407730 said:
A lot more it seems.

How..wait..what?

Seriously?

As a fanboy, it's hard not to get hyped by that...but the movie critic in me has a hard time seeing it as anything other than self-indulgent on PJ's part.

The extended Edition of the Hobbit will have an intermission about halfway through, at the 3 hour mark

"Bilbo, the poor devil - he's riding the whirlwind.
"Let's hope we're not."

INTERMISSION

-griffy-

Banned
How..wait..what?

Seriously?

As a fanboy, it's hard not to get hyped by that...but the movie critic in me has a hard time seeing it as anything other than self-indulgent on PJ's part.

They shot film on LOTR and digital on The Hobbit. It's much easier and quicker, and therefore cheaper, to shoot more footage on digital as there isn't the waiting with film having to get up to speed between each take or stopping to reload film into the cameras and all that.

Number45

Edmond Dantès;43370649 said:
After that I'd recommend the Mabinogion (Welsh mythology) which features the Tale of Culhwch and Olwen, the direct inspiration for the Tale of Beren and Luthien.

And I reiterate what I said about Paradise Lost. A must read and the most influential poem for Tolkien when creating Melkor.
Paradise Lost has been on my to read list since forever, it jumped to the top of the list after your recommendation earlier in the thread so I'll read that first before diving back into more Tolkien.

Added that book to said list also.

Edmond Dantès;43370649 said:
Also, now that you've read The Silmarillion, what is your opinion on the origin of all evil in Arda in comparison to the lesser Dark Lord you were more accustomed to.
In terms of the motives for Melkor breaking away from the other Valar?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Paradise Lost has been on my to read list since forever, it jumped to the top of the list after your recommendation earlier in the thread so I'll read that first before diving back into more Tolkien.

Added that book to said list also.

In terms of the motives for Melkor breaking away from the other Valar?
Just in general really.

I am one of the few that read The Hobbit/LotR books before I saw the movies (hell, before I even knew they were being made) and greatly preferred the movies when they came out. I was never very fond of the LotR books. Even The Hobbit got on my nerves at times.

I remember being amazed that Jackson turned the absolute worst part of the books, the Sam/Frodo/Gollum parts, into the best parts of the movies. So damn good.

That said, Jackson didn't do a perfect job, but you can't really fuck up The Hobbit. I understood cutting a bunch of content from the LotR books due to time constraints, but The Hobbit isn't nearly as meaty. And The Hobbit was my favorite of the books, so I'm greatly looking forward to it.

Still worried about that third movie though. I am also worried about how the audience will react to how much more down to earth and less dramatic The Hobbit is, outside of the ending.

Loxley

Finally got around to pre-ordering that Deluxe Pocket Edition of The Hobbit, will get here just in time for a Hobbit re-read in the weeks leading up to the film's release.

Is it weird that despite the fact that graduate college the week of December 14th, that I'm more looking forward to it because of The Hobbit's release? Yeah, I get my diploma after over five years of work, but dudes...The Hobbit.

Peru

I am one of the few that read The Hobbit/LotR books before I saw the movies (hell, before I even knew they were being made) and greatly preferred the movies when they came out. I was never very fond of the LotR books. Even The Hobbit got on my nerves at times.

I remember being amazed that Jackson turned the absolute worst part of the books, the Sam/Frodo/Gollum parts, into the best parts of the movies. So damn good.

I would say those were the most tense, thrilling, edge-of-your-seat parts of the book and in the movies got a bit same-y and didn't quite capture the excitement. So basically I feel the opposite of you.

Ainaurdur

Finally got around to pre-ordering that Deluxe Pocket Edition of The Hobbit, will get here just in time for a Hobbit re-read in the weeks leading up to the film's release.

Is it weird that despite the fact that graduate college the week of December 14th, that I'm more looking forward to it because of The Hobbit's release? Yeah, I get my diploma after over five years of work, but dudes...The Hobbit.

Glad I am not the only one enticed by the DPE!

And I would say, you might be able to graduate again, but there will only be one premiere of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.
I guess the graduation can be icing on the cake.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

That said, Jackson didn't do a perfect job, but you can't really fuck up The Hobbit. I understood cutting a bunch of content from the LotR books due to time constraints, but The Hobbit isn't nearly as meaty. And The Hobbit was my favorite of the books, so I'm greatly looking forward to it.

Still worried about that third movie though. I am also worried about how the audience will react to how much more down to earth and less dramatic The Hobbit is, outside of the ending.
If anything The Hobbit is far more fantasy filled than The Lord of the Rings and the narrative flows perfectly with set piece after set piece. Plus, stone giants, talking dragons, purses, spiders, trolls, eagles and shape shifting bears not to mention zombie goblins and a Necromancer capable of harnessing the power of the dead.

The Lord of the Rings will be viewed as the more gritty, grounded in reality trilogy when all is said and done, not The Hobbit.

I better not be able to recognize Colbert. If it's something that pulls me out of the story for the sake of a cute/joke cameo then I'll be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom