• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

DodgerSan

Edmond Dantès;43609964 said:
Hobbit tickets now on sale in the UK: Odeon, Vue

So far just the following options for most locations:

The Hobbit 2D
The Hobbit IMAX 3D
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D

Nothing about 48fps thus far.

Well, there hasn't ever been anything said about other countries getting The Hobbit in 48fps, just the US.

/Internet high-fives

Booked, good man! Got in early enough to bag our favourite seats at the local Odeon too. It feels real now, but also so far way.

Loxley

has there been anything pic wise of Evangeline yet... WTF

The best we've gotten so far is this image from the box of the Tauriel action figure:

evangelinelillyastaurie.jpg

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
yeah safe to say im going to have a huge crush on Evangeline, just like I did Arwen, them ears mang :O

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The Hobbit cliche revealed.
- In an abandoned factory, there is a deadly struggle between two companies: our guys (the good, the honest, the glorious) and the bad guys (the bad, the ugly, the lying and treacherous). The fight goes on with changing success: bullets are flying, spears are breaking, laser bolts are flashing. Suddenly it looks like our guys are about to win the battle.
At this moment the hideous leader of the bad guys steps forward. Before him, he is holding the beautiful Gwyneth Paltrow as a shield. The bad guy leader puts a gun to her head and declares with a nasty voice that our guys put the weapons on the ground, or else Gwyneth Paltrow is to be killed.
Bruce Willis looks saddened in the eyes of Chuck Norris: "how sad that it has come this way!" Chuck Norris looks long and saddened in the eyes of Bruce Willis: "yes, friend, we were so close to victory!" Bruce Willis and Chuck Norris look in the eyes of the hideous leader of the bad guys: "we will die, but we will die honorably".
After that, all of our guys are chained up to a great iron ring on the floor. The hideous leader of the bad guys pushes a button and the ceiling begins slowly to lower down in order to crush our guys.

Other stuff from our Russian Tolkien forum friends:

- The final cut is not yet completed. It shall be ready just in time for the premiere, so the dubbing studios are working on the intermediate version of the script and will be working on the changes that emerge during the final tweaks by PJ.
- The songs will be dubbed into all the foreign languages (there was an intermediate info from PJ that he would rather have them in English with subtitles)
- The foreign actors dubbing the main parts have already been approved by PJ. They are not necessary the ones who were used in trailers.

Context: Russian distributor has seen script..

Hint:
Galadriel = Paltrow, Our Guys = Rest of White Council, Bad guy = Necromancer and crew

Fran and Philippa are slipping.

Loxley

Film 2 will be full of new characters; Thranduil, Tauriel, Beorn, Bard and (obviously) Smaug. The change of scenery should be interesting too, between Laketown and the Misty Mountain. I wonder if they'll go so far as to re-create the famous image of Smaug sitting on top of giant pile of gold - something Tolkien himself never actually described if I remember correctly.

I can't decide if that would be awesome or a bit cheesy.

bengraven

Film 2 will be full of new characters; Thranduil, Tauriel, Beorn, Bard and (obviously) Smaug. The change of scenery should be interesting too, between Laketown and the Misty Mountain. I wonder if they'll go so far as to re-create the famous image of Smaug sitting on top of giant pile of gold - something Tolkien himself never actually described if I remember correctly.

More like it's going to be another Two Towers.

Also, that's making me very very nervous about the extra stuff.

ALSO, I'm horribly saddened that I won't see much of Mirkwood this year.

IIRC, he does imply that Smaug is actually sitting on the treasure, as he's covered with gems that are embedded in his scales.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

He actually painted that exact image. One of the few colour paintings he did. He was obviously very passionate about that particular scene.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8sh2snLJXvE/UHXtF0s58cI/AAAAAAAAKWg/YfgGmj-Askg/s1600/img-jrrt_smaug.jpg

Spot the Arkenstone.

I like it a lot and Smaug looks rather cute.

Edmond Dantès;43702294 said:
The Hobbit cliche revealed.

Other stuff from our Russian Tolkien forum friends:

- The final cut is not yet completed. It shall be ready just in time for the premiere, so the dubbing studios are working on the intermediate version of the script and will be working on the changes that emerge during the final tweaks by PJ.
- The songs will be dubbed into all the foreign languages (there was an intermediate info from PJ that he would rather have them in English with subtitles)
- The foreign actors dubbing the main parts have already been approved by PJ. They are not necessary the ones who were used in trailers.

Context: Russian distributor has seen script..

Hint:
Galadriel = Paltrow, Our Guys = Rest of White Council, Bad guy = Necromancer and crew

Fran and Philippa are slipping.
Is this for the first movie? I tough
white council vs necro
was all in third.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Is this for the first movie? I tough
white council vs necro
was all in third.
Gandalf and Radagast go to Dol Guldur, Elrond was confirmed to accompany Gandalf a while ago. That leaves the other female member. It seems like this happens in the first film as we‘ve seen Gandalf in Dol Guldur in both trailers now.

Definitely hope atleast one of The Hobbit movies can reach the level of TTT. If not, I'll settle for Fellowship level.
It will probably be a mistake to compare the Hobbit films to the LOTR, even with the aesthetic similarities, let alone comparing it to arguably the darkest chapter of the trilogy.

The Hobbit is more of a fairy-tale.

Loxley

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Middle-Earth we see in The Hobbit films feels like a different Middle-Earth from the one we saw in the LotR trilogy; and I don't just mean in terms of the timeline.

Already we're seeing major differences, like talking trolls, completely unique looking CGI Goblins, shapeshifting, animals playing a much more whimsical role (the rabbits pulling Radagast's sled, the hedgehogs seen in the trailer), much more vibrant colors all around, plus the added layer of humor throughout the entire story. Also, lest we forget, a massive dragon :)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/7878337/Hobbit-sculptures-installed-on-NZ-Post

It took eight designers, 56 tonnes of concrete and a whole load of lights to create NZ Post's monument to The Hobbit empire.

NZ Post approached Sir Richard Taylor and Weta Workshop in July to come up with a design for their Waterloo Quay building to celebrate The Hobbit premiere next month.

The team soon came back with a series of design options and a silhouetted depiction of Bilbo Baggins and his 13 dwarf companions was chosen.

The silhouettes will be lit up each night to stand out against the building five floors up and light up Wellington's skyline.

7878076.jpg

NZ Post sure loves decorating that building.

DSCF0029+%282%29.JPG

May I see the source? I won't believe that.
My absolute number one fear with this trilogy is that the writing is going to completely fall away compared to LOTR.

With the LOTR trilogy they had so much Tolkien genius to copy-paste, tweak, use as inspiration etc... The Hobbit doesn't have a bee's dick worth of material in comparison to LOTR, especially when stretched to three movies. Not to mention this writing team's last two scripts have sucked.

The potential for bad/cheesy writing scares me more than possible overuse of CGI, overly comedic tone, or a less interesting cast.

My absolute number one fear with this trilogy is that the writing is going to completely fall away compared to LOTR.

With the LOTR trilogy they had so much Tolkien genius to copy-paste, tweak, use as inspiration etc... The Hobbit doesn't have a bee's dick worth of material in comparison to LOTR, especially when stretched to three movies. Not to mention this writing team's last two scripts have sucked.

The potential for bad/cheesy writing scares me more than possible overuse of CGI, overly comedic tone, or a less interesting cast.

Hm, it could work.

1st film:
  • Battle of Azanulbizar and a playing up of the Dwarves enmity with the Goblins culminating in the famous battle near Moria. Thorin getting his 'Oakenshield' name. Azog being killed. Moria still unable to be reclaimed.
  • Dol-gundur scenes plus Thrain. Saruman, with his secret desire for the Ring, cock-blocking Gandalf.
  • Bilbo's journey from Bag End to being flown off by the Eagles including the Goblin King and his meeting with Gollum.

2nd film:
  • Meeting Beorn, journey through Mirkwood, spider battle and then to the Lonely Mountain.
  • White Council attack on Dol-Gundur.
  • Goblins enraged at their King's death. Bolg, son of Azgog, wants to avenge shit.
  • A glimpse of Smaug/Bilbo's first conversation with Smaug.

3rd film:
  • First conversation with Smaug/Smaug's attack.
  • Dwarves' holding up in the Lonely Mountain. Calling Dain.
  • Azog's son, Bolg rallying up the armies of the Goblins for an attack.
  • Battle of the Five Armies - knowing Jackson, the Necromancer will probably show up here as he is fleeing to Mordor.
  • Overly long journey home. Gandalf and Balin visit Bilbo. Balin expresses a desire to reclaim Moria (this is played up through 3 films).
  • Scenes focuses in on the One Ring lying on the mantelpiece and the sinister music from Lord of the Rings plays. Fade to black.

LOTR: Balin's death at Moria, that butterfly, those eagles, those three trolls, Saruman's desire for the Ring and the Ring itself all come full circle.

Cheebo

Banned
Hm, it could work.

1st film:
  • Battle of Azanulbizar and a playing up of the Dwarves enmity with the Goblins culminating in the famous battle near Moria. Thorin getting his 'Oakenshield' name. Azog being killed. Moria still unable to be reclaimed.
  • Dol-gundur scenes plus Thrain. Saruman, with his secret desire for the Ring, cock-blocking Gandalf.
  • Bilbo's journey from Bag End to being flown off by the Eagles including the Goblin King and his meeting with Gollum.

2nd film:
  • Meeting Beorn, journey through Mirkwood, spider battle and then to the Lonely Mountain.
  • White Council attack on Dol-Gundur.
  • Goblins enraged at their King's death. Bolg, son of Azgog, wants to avenge shit.
  • A glimpse of Smaug/Bilbo's first conversation with Smaug.

3rd film:
  • First conversation with Smaug/Smaug's attack.
  • Dwarves' holding up in the Lonely Mountain. Calling Dain.
  • Azog's son, Bolg rallying up the armies of the Goblins for an attack.
  • Battle of the Five Armies - knowing Jackson, the Necromancer will probably show up here as he is fleeing to Mordor.
  • Overly long journey home. Gandalf and Balin visit Bilbo. Balin expresses a desire to reclaim Moria (this is played up through 3 films).
  • Scenes focuses in on the One Ring lying on the mantelpiece and the sinister music from Lord of the Rings plays. Fade to black.

LOTR: Balin's death at Moria, that butterfly, those eagles, those three trolls, Saruman's desire for the Ring and the Ring itself all come full circle.
Well we already know your ending won't be right. The movie is book-ended by older Bilbo talking to Frodo.

Well we already know your ending won't be right. The movie is book-ended by older Bilbo talking to Frodo.

They could easily have Bilbo and co laughing in the kitchen then the voice-over and switch to older Bilbo talking to Frodo, like Frodo's monologue at the end of LOTR. And then the fade to black with the Ring on the mantelpiece.

I'm convinced the Ring with that music will worm its way into the ending somehow.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
They could easily have Bilbo and co laughing in the kitchen then the voice-over and switch to older Bilbo talking to Frodo, like Frodo's monologue at the end of LOTR. And then the fade to black with the Ring on the mantelpiece.

I'm convinced the Ring with that music will worm its way into the ending somehow.
I'd rather have it so that any allusions to the ring being anything but a simple magic ring are kept to a minimum. I don't think anyone wants to be continually reminded that it's Sauron's toy.

Cheebo

Banned
Edmond Dantès;43728255 said:
I'd rather have it so that any allusions to the ring being anything but a simple magic ring are kept to a minimum. I don't think anyone wants to be continually reminded that it's Sauron's toy.

Jackson said just the other day they will show it slowly start to effect Bilbo like how it effects Frodo in LOTR unlike the Hobbit book. That the first time Bilbo puts it on it is just a magic ring but each time he puts it on throughout the 3 films the effect grows and grows.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Jackson said just the other day they will show it slowly start to effect Bilbo like how it effects Frodo in LOTR unlike the Hobbit book. That the first time Bilbo puts it on it is just a magic ring but each time he puts it on throughout the 3 films the effect grows and grows.
That does make sense as The Necromancer's might increases over the course of the trilogy before he openly declares himself as
Sauron
later on.

Edmond Dantès;43728255 said:

I mirror this desire, which is why I'm hoping any allusions come at the end of the trilogy than having them peppered throughout. The problem with having the 'Frodo orgasming / corruption effect' is that it further takes away from the feel and tone of the Hobbit. In the book, it's just a useful magic ring. The trouble with not having them peppered throughout is that it's not consistent with the LOTR set of films, and if there's one thing that Jackson probably wants , it's internal consistency. These are the same writers that changed Faramir to play up the over-powering effect of the Ring on everyone. Bilbo's 'immunity' in light of his many uses of the Ring's power in his journey wouldn't make much sense then.

I wonder if they will bring back that blurry spirit world effect that Frodo experienced when he put on the Ring.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I mirror this desire, which is why I'm hoping any allusions come at the end of the trilogy than having them peppered throughout. The problem with having the 'Frodo orgasming / corruption effect' is that it further takes away from the feel and tone of the Hobbit. In the book, it's just a useful magic ring. The trouble with not having them peppered throughout is that it's not consistent with the LOTR set of films, and if there's one thing that Jackson probably wants , it's internal consistency. These are the same writers that changed Faramir to play up the over-powering effect of the Ring on everyone.

I wonder if they will bring back that blurry spirit world effect that Frodo experienced when he put on the Ring.
It may vary slightly as each individual experiences a different thing when putting the Ring on. One can only imagine what Sauron felt with the Ring on his finger. Maybe he felt whole with it.

Chuckie

Edmond Dantès;43635265 said:
I was satisfied with most of the extended scenes except this travesty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oatbDAYCHg0#t=0m27s

Witch_King.png

The Witch-King besting Gandalf the White, yet alone the Grey. In reality it wouldn't be much of contest. A corrupted man of Númenórean descent whose inherent might was elevated by Sauron somewhat against an Ainu spirit of Maiar rank who pre-dated the planet itself. The limits placed on him (older raiment, restricted powers) may have held Gandalf back somewhat, but he was still far and above the Witch-king.

But was Gandalf really that powerful? I mean he had a lot of trouble with a balrog which seems a 'lesser' being than the Witch-King.

qindarka

Banned
But was Gandalf really that powerful? I mean he had a lot of trouble with a balrog which seems a 'lesser' being than the Witch-King.

The Balrog is also a Maiar, I believe, which is the same order of being as Gandalf and above the Witch King.

Regarding the movie, I'm a little worried that the main quest involving the dwarves and Bilbo won't mesh very well with the White Council stuff.

bengraven

Film 3 better be the leadup to the Battle.

I'm hoping that business with the dragon is settled in Film 2.

Likely won't happen. I predict Film 2 ending with Smaug leaving to destroy Dale, while the dwarves are happily Scrooge McDucking through their spoils and Bilbo has a worried look on his face. It gives Film 2 an ominous ending, with a bit of whimsy.

Film 3 will begin with the destruction of Dale and Bard's killing of Smaug, then the survivors of Dale start looking north. That sets up their part in that film so it makes sense to be in the beginning.

Also, anyone think fangirls are going to cry because the three "cute" dwarves are killed in the third film?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The Balrog was a Valaraukar, a Maia fire spirit originally corrupted by Melkor before the world was created. That battle was between two angelic beings with inherent powers far beyond that of a mere man with one of the Nine Rings. The Fire spirits were extremely potent, but very volatile. The most famous of them and the one who wouldn't bow to Melkor is Arien, the Maia of the Sun itself in Tolkien's legendarium. Even Melkor feared her.

Also, Gandalf with the One Ring would be even more terrible than Sauron, according to Tolkien.

He was a very powerful being whose might was obscured by his human form.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Film 3 better be the leadup to the Battle.

I'm hoping that business with the dragon is settled in Film 2.

Likely won't happen. I predict Film 2 ending with Smaug leaving to destroy Dale, while the dwarves are happily Scrooge McDucking through their spoils and Bilbo has a worried look on his face. It gives Film 2 an ominous ending, with a bit of whimsy.

Film 3 will begin with the destruction of Dale and Bard's killing of Smaug, then the survivors of Dale start looking north. That sets up their part in that film so it makes sense to be in the beginning.

Also, anyone think fangirls are going to cry because the three "cute" dwarves are killed in the third film?
I think many people will shed tears when
Thorin and Bilbo meet for the final time and Thorin forgives Bilbo and redeems himself
. It may surpass the Departure of Boromir.

Poor Boromir. :(

tumblr_m3qawrLFez1rrljp3o1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom