• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Well, the Extended Editions of LOTR are cool for fans, but most people will say that the theatrical versions are better films. They're definitely paced better. Especially The Two Towers, which has too many slow scenes towards the middle of its Extended Edition. And Return of the King had too much Gimli comic relief.

So I can understand his skepticism.

I can't agree with that. The theatrical versions were missing a lot of important scenes and felt incomplete. Like in Fellowship extended, the Boromir/Aragorn argument changes how you view the final scene. Two Towers theatrical was a mess, Faramir's character is nonsensical, the whole Rohan setup is missing, and Treebeard gets about five minutes of screen time before the climax. Return of the King is the most complete theatrical version, but it's still missing key scenes like the fate of Saruman, the Gandalf/Witch King showdown, the Mouth of Sauron, and Aragorn's confrontation with Sauron through the Palantir.

It's hard to compare to the Hobbit though because LotR is like five times as long as the Hobbit. If they were to adapt LotR at the page-per-minute pace of these films, It would take over four films just to get through Fellowship.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
One of the editors of the famous Russian Tolkien Forum Henneth-Annun has had access to the script and will reveal a juicy spoiler on the weekend depending on the result of a poll on their site.

http://www.henneth-annun.ru/forum/sovet-mudryh-osnovnoy-forum/5458-megaspoylery-nastoyaschie.html

The four options:

What will be the first phrase in the film?
What cheesy and ugly Hollywood cliche does Jackson use on The Hobbit?
Is the main bad guy from the film from "The Hobbit" book?
Why is Radagast this strange?

Looking forward to it.

I can't agree with that. The theatrical versions were missing a lot of important scenes and felt incomplete. Like in Fellowship extended, the Boromir/Aragorn argument changes how you view the final scene. Two Towers theatrical was a mess, Faramir's character is nonsensical, the whole Rohan setup is missing, and Treebeard gets about five minutes of screen time before the climax. Return of the King is the most complete theatrical version, but it's still missing key scenes like the fate of Saruman, the Gandalf/Witch King showdown, the Mouth of Sauron, and Aragorn's confrontation with Sauron through the Palantir.

It's hard to compare to the Hobbit though because LotR is like five times as long as the Hobbit. If they were to adapt LotR at the page-per-minute pace of these films, It would take over four films just to get through Fellowship.

I agree with you on a last part. You could make a short to medium length film about the Hobbit's journey from the Shire to Rivendell! So much happens.

Funnily enough, Saruman's fate (in the extended cut anyway) seems inspired by something Tolkien himself said concerning a script he recieved for LotR in the 60's/70's.

Z has cut out the end of the book, including Saruman's proper death. In that case I can see no good reason for making him die. Saruman would never have committed suicide: to cling to life to its basest dregs is the way of the sort of person he had become. If Z wants Saruman tidied up (I cannot see why, where so many threads are left loose) Gandalf should say something to this effect: as Saruman collapses under the excommunication: 'Since you will not come out and aid us, here in Orthanc you shall stay till you rot, Saruman. Let the Ents look to it!'

Which of course, is exactly what occurs.

Ixion

I just feel most, if not all, of the scenes you mentioned aren't vital to the films. Sure, they add even more perspective to the story, but you also have to consider pacing, length, sequencing, etc.

For example, the theatrical version of Fellowship doesn't let you go from beginning to end. It's edited perfectly (which is why most find to be the best in the trilogy). The extra scenes disrupt that a bit.

bengraven

I agree with you on a last part. You could make a short to medium length film about the Hobbit's journey from the Shire to Rivendell! So much happens.

Funnily enough, Saruman's fate (in the extended cut anyway) seems inspired by something Tolkien himself said concerning a script he recieved for LotR in the 60's/70's.

Which of course, is exactly what occurs.

Yeah, when I read that article a few months ago I realized the theatrical cut's end was much better for Saruman.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I was satisfied with most of the extended scenes except this travesty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oatbDAYCHg0#t=0m27s

Witch_King.png

The Witch-King besting Gandalf the White, yet alone the Grey. In reality it wouldn't be much of contest. A corrupted man of Númenórean descent whose inherent might was elevated by Sauron somewhat against an Ainu spirit of Maiar rank who pre-dated the planet itself. The limits placed on him (older raiment, restricted powers) may have held Gandalf back somewhat, but he was still far and above the Witch-king.

That's the problem, the levelling curve is way out of whack in that game. Gandalf already beat the final raid boss in part one and rerolled into a hero class. Are we supposed to believe that a former human turned undead badass is a match for him?

Loxley

That's the problem, the levelling curve is way out of whack in that game. Gandalf already beat the final raid boss in part one and rerolled into a hero class. Are we supposed to believe that a former human turned undead badass is a match for him?

Gandalf's gear is also high-end raiding stuff. Witch King's packing some PvP epics he didn't really work all that hard for. I mean, a fiery sword? That's the best you've got? Gandalf's got a Moses staff and an epic mount that dropped off the freaking Balrog and you're gonna attack him with your lame enchanted sword and flying lizard you clearly just bought through micro-transactions? Please.

The Witch King is that guy who brags in Trade Chat about how badass he is and challenges everyone to duels, only to lose to a low-level warrior in crappy gear because he's a moron.

Daft_Cat

Edmond Dantès;43635265 said:

Witch_King.png

The Witch-King besting Gandalf the White, yet alone the Grey. In reality it wouldn't be much of contest. A corrupted man of Númenórean descent whose inherent might was elevated by Sauron somewhat against an Ainu spirit of Maiar rank who pre-dated the planet itself. The limits placed on him (older raiment, restricted powers) may have held Gandalf back somewhat, but he was still far and above the Witch-king.

Yah, but it was just for dramatic tension, you know?

Gandalf had just singlehandedly saved Faramir and all that... If PJ hadn't shown that the Witch-King was on par, then the stakes of the battle wouldn't have been as high.

It's a cheat once you consider the lore, but I understand the need to build tension.

Then again, Jackson cut it. Maybe he eventually came to the same conclusion as you.

bengraven

Gandalf's gear is also high-end raiding stuff. Witch King's packing some PvP epics he didn't really work all that hard for. I mean, a fiery sword? That's the best you've got? Gandalf's got a Moses staff and an epic mount that dropped off the freaking Balrog and you're gonna attack him with your lame enchanted sword and flying lizard you clearly just bought through micro-transactions? Please.

The Witch King is that guy who brags in Trade Chat about how badass he is and challenges everyone to duels, only to lose to a low-level warrior in crappy gear because he's a moron.

Man, FUCK Gandalf.

He was already max level in The Second Age. Then he got bored waiting for the expansion to come out a few hundred years later, so he just rode around on his 310% speed vanity mount and talked other PCs into raiding dungeons with him.

Then when they get far into the dungeon, he fucking bails on them.

Except that one time when he was finally PKed by a summoned Balrog. But what does that tricksy bitch do? He uses a buff to regain his full stats while waiting on his rez sickness cooldown, then ditches his gear for epic whites, then when the cooldown was done his stats are double stacked due to the buff, effectively hacking the system.

Thankfully they later patched that exploit out and he got bored like a little bitch and took off to the Gray Havens where he does nothing but talk in General Chat all day to the players, refusing to come back to Middle Earth and raid the East with us.

So yeah.

Fuck Gandalf.

Hagi

I saw the trailer again during Skyfall i'm still rather skeptical but man if i didn't get a megaton of nostalgia seeing Gandalf in Bilbo's house on the big screen again. Kind of bittersweet actually.

Am i to believe that the talking animals have been fully emitted? I always liked the idea of it. Would be strange to just hear Smaug.

Dmax3901

Edmond Dantès;43635265 said:

Witch_King.png

Doesn't this happen in the book? I thought the witch king is about to neck someone when he hears the horns of the rohirrim, and the dawn.

Kud Dukan

I saw the trailer again during Skyfall i'm still rather skeptical but man if i didn't get a megaton of nostalgia seeing Gandalf in Bilbo's house on the big screen again. Kind of bittersweet actually.

Am i to believe that the talking animals have been fully emitted? I always liked the idea of it. Would be strange to just hear Smaug.

Smaug will talk, as will the trolls. Not sure about anything else though. Someone else may have heard more about that.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
woo hoo, talking trolls! :D
I was always bummed the trolls never talked in LoTR. I don't remember how they were depicted in the books but I distinctly remember the trolls in the hobbit and I was sad they had turned them into basically pack animals in LoTR

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I was always bummed the trolls never talked in LoTR. I don't remember how they were depicted in the books but I distinctly remember the trolls in the hobbit and I was sad they had turned them into basically pack animals in LoTR
Cockney trolls in The Hobbit.

I just feel most, if not all, of the scenes you mentioned aren't vital to the films. Sure, they add even more perspective to the story, but you also have to consider pacing, length, sequencing, etc.

For example, the theatrical version of Fellowship doesn't let you go from beginning to end. It's edited perfectly (which is why most find to be the best in the trilogy). The extra scenes disrupt that a bit.

For me, Fellowship of the Ring was the best of the trilogy, but also benefited hugely from the extended scenes. Boromir doesn't have near enough screen time in the theatrical cut, and his turn against Frodo for the Ring at Amon Hen was relatively quick and sudden. The EE edition develops this thread much further, in particular the scene with Aragorn.

Indeed when I watched the EE with a friend who had until then only seen the theatrical cut they felt the ending made much more sense, and felt more natural than before.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Doesn't this happen in the book? I thought the witch king is about to neck someone when he hears the horns of the rohirrim, and the dawn.
Basically, the Witch-King is on horseback at the gates of Gondor, nothing happens to Gandalf at the confrontation. The Witch-King turns away when he hears the horns of Rohan. Yet again with Peter and co, they elevate characters into positions they shouldn't be in. They nearly made the same mistake with the Sauron/Aragorn fight.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I think Fellowship is the best of the trilogy. Fellowship is also my all time favourite film. I think it is the only film that doesn't feel like a film. It is just so complete, well done and authentic. I do believe that even Mr.Jackson will never be able to make anything that could possibly match up to it.

Loxley

This cut scene from TTT is still one of my favorites and wish it had been included in the theatrical cut:

boromirosgiliath2.jpg

"This city was once the jewel of our kingdom; a place of light, beauty, and music, and so it shall be once more! Let the armies of Mordor know this: never again will the land of my people fall into enemy hands! The city of Osgiliath has been reclaimed for Gondor! For Gondor! For Gondor!"

I love the dialogue between Faramir, Boromir, and Denethor.

Dmax3901

Edmond Dantès;43671497 said:
Basically, the Witch-King is on horseback at the gates of Gondor, nothing happens to Gandalf at the confrontation. The Witch-King turns away when he hears the horns of Rohan. Yet again with Peter and co, they elevate characters into positions they shouldn't be in. They nearly made the same mistake with the Sauron/Aragorn fight.

Bizarre.

I understand why it irritates people but that scene makes the arrival of Theoden so much more powerful, I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom