• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckie

Edmond Dantès;43729389 said:
The Balrog was a Valaraukar, a Maia fire spirit originally corrupted by Melkor before the world was created. That battle was between two angelic beings with inherent powers far beyond that of a mere man with one of the Nine Rings. The Fire spirits were extremely potent, but very volatile. The most famous of them and the one who wouldn't bow to Melkor is Arien, the Maia of the Sun itself in Tolkien's legendarium. Even Melkor feared her.

Also, Gandalf with the One Ring would be even more terrible than Sauron, according to Tolkien.

He was a very powerful being whose might was obscured by his human form.

Thanks. It appears my Tolkien knowledge is starting to slip. It's been yeeeeaaaars since I read work of him.

Ainaurdur

Edmond Dantès;43729389 said:
Also, Gandalf with the One Ring would be even more terrible than Sauron, according to Tolkien.

He was a very powerful being whose might was obscured by his human form.

"But through me, it would wield a power too great and terrible to imagine."

And yes, I fully expect to cry in the theatre during
Thorin's death scene.
I don't care who is sitting with me!

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;43729544 said:
I think many people will shed tears when
Thorin and Bilbo meet for the final time and Thorin forgives Bilbo and redeems himself
. It may surpass the Departure of Boromir.

Poor Boromir. :(

God, yes, it will be the Boromir scene all over.

"My burglar...my hobbit...my friend..."

1972441_o.gif

I suppose those other two we'll actually SEE die, since we're not going to pass out and skip the battle like in the books. I hope to God they only kill the dwarves mentioned in the book and not more or less. Not like the Hobbit animated.

Ainaurdur

Apologies if anyone saw something they did not wish to. I don't like spoiling things or getting them spoiled for myself, I wasn't thinking when I first typed it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Spoil it some more yes...
That's nothing to with The Hobbit though. Tolkien's wider mythos has always been free to discuss.

And I apologise to anyone who has had a bit of the story spoiled. It's not Ainaurdur's fault, he/she is relatively new to the thread I think and probably isn't sure of the ground rules. I shouldn't have led the discussion that way.

Good as time as any to restate the rules.

Simply this:

1. Anything pertaining to The Hobbit's story that hasn't been explored or referenced already in the film trilogy should be spoiler tagged.
2. Tolkien's wider legendarium is free to discuss as long as it doesn't spoil The Hobbit 's story; feel free to discuss without spoiler tags if it has nothing to do with The Hobbit.
3. Images/artwook of key scenes; posts links rather than the image.
4. Speculation about how the story will go; discuss at your own discretion. But if you think your speculation might reveal something important from The Hobbit, spoiler tag it.

That'll keep us going until the OT

Loxley

And definitely don't mention the point in The Hobbit where
Beorn transforms into a T-Rex and pilots an X-wing, then flies it into an alien mothership, causing it to explode and saving the human race from annihilation.

I may have dreamed that.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Beorn transforms into a T-Rex, pilots an X-wing and flies it into an alien mothership, causing it to explode and saving the human race from annihilation.

I may have dreamed that.
I'd pay to see that in a film.

bengraven

Beorn transforms into a T-Rex and pilots an X-wing, then flies it into an alien mothership, causing it to explode and saving the human race from annihilation.

I may have dreamed that.

If there are no Nazis in that film, then the terrorists would have already won.

ascii42

I may have dreamed that.

That's what you get for watching the animated Hobbit, Jurassic Park, Star Wars, and Independence Day in the same night.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
any news on more trailers coming or are we only likely to see tv spots from now on? Im still not sold on the film sadly :[

agrajag

Banned
I wonder how much they're going to expand the great goblin's role from the book, iirc there was only two or so lines about him. I'm guessing significantly.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I wonder how much they're going to expand the great goblin's role from the book, iirc there was only two or so lines about him. I'm guessing significantly.
He might be a Master Blaster type character (Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome). In fact Goblin-town does remind of a mix between Bartertown from the third Mad Max and Cutthroat Island from the film of the same name.

agrajag

Banned
Edmond Dantès;43740538 said:
He might be a Master Blaster type character (Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome). In fact Goblin-town does remind of a mix between Bartertown from the third Mad Max and Cutthroat Island from the film of the same name.

That's going to be very cool. We'll probably see a good deal of Del Toro's influence in the Goblin-town.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Time for Disney to acquire the rights to Middle-earth from the Saul Zaentz Company and offer Christopher Tolkien an offer he can't refuse for The Silmarillion.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;43785093 said:
Time for Disney to acquire the rights to Middle-earth from the Saul Zaentz Company and offer Christopher Tolkien an offer he can't refuse for The Silmarillion.

They can promise Christopher Tolkien that he'll be cryogenically frozen right next to Disney himself, that's prime real estate. After 50-100 years when the inevitable Middle Earth theme park attractions rake in boatloads of cash (especially the Barrel-Down-the-River water ride - really looking forward to that one) they can both emerge as Emperors of Earth since they'll have all of the money.

This actually sounds like an awesome premise to a sci-fi novel.

Edmond Dantès;43785093 said:

Pfft, they'd take the story and call it Lord of the Rings 2.

Watevaman

So guys, it's probably been asked before, probably going to be asked again, but I've never read The Hobbit and am wondering if I should give a go now or wait? To start, I rarely read any more, and the books I have read that have been turned to film, mainly Crichton, have spoiled me because the movies are pretty bad. I'm worried reading The Hobbit now will leave everything fresh in my mind and I will be underwhelmed by an otherwise great film.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
So guys, it's probably been asked before, probably going to be asked again, but I've never read The Hobbit and am wondering if I should give a go now or wait? To start, I rarely read any more, and the books I have read that have been turned to film, mainly Crichton, have spoiled me because the movies are pretty bad. I'm worried reading The Hobbit now will leave everything fresh in my mind and I will be underwhelmed by an otherwise great film.
My advice would be to wait until after the trilogy is finished. That way you have no preconceived notions about the story and it'll feel like going on a fresh adventure in Middle-earth.

ascii42

Edmond Dantès;43795840 said:
My advice would be to wait until after the trilogy is finished. That way you have no preconceived notions about the story and it'll feel like going on a fresh adventure in Middle-earth.

I've read the Hobbit twice, but even the second time was long enough ago that I really only remember the basic plot. I had thought about reading it again, but I decided I'd be better off not doing it for this reason.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I've read the Hobbit twice, but even the second time was long enough ago that I really only remember the basic plot. I had thought about reading it again, but I decided I'd be better off not doing it for this reason.
Feel for those of us who have analysed The Hobbit to academic levels and beyond. ;)

I read up until Smaug
kicks the bucket
as a kid and then was incredibly bored to find it still went on. I assumed since that's what they set off to do, when it was done it'd be over. Then again, after Scouring of the Shire I guess I should've known better huh?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Kiwis treated to early release of Hobbit film

http://tvnz.co.nz/hobbit-news/release-date-changes-5180853

'Hobbit' prohibited from use in lecture on primitive humanoids (Homo floresiensis)

Hobbits-009.jpg

http://www.examiner.com/article/sau...-use-of-hobbit-lecture-on-primitive-humanoids

Dr. Brent Alloway and his associates seem slightly confused as to who they're dealing with. The Tolkien Estate have nothing to do with this and aren't represented by the Saul Zaentz Company. In fact they they no say whatsoever in regards to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit and haven't for a very long time. It's The Silmarillion, The Unfinished Tales, The Children of Hurin, The History of Middle-earth series and Tolkien's other works that they own.

It's a shame that the Saul Zaentz Company are so heavy handed. I wonder if they realise that it wasn't even Tolkien who created that word and that it appears in the Denham Tracts which predate Tolkien himself.

"What a happiness this must have been seventy or eighty years ago and upwards, to those chosen few who had the good luck to be born on the eve of this festival of all festivals; when the whole earth was so overrun with ghosts, boggles, Bloody Bones, spirits, demons, ignis fatui, brownies, bugbears, black dogs, spectres, shellycoats, scarecrows, witches, wizards, barguests, Robin-Goodfellows, hags, night-bats, scrags, breaknecks, fantasms, hobgoblins, hobhoulards, boggy-boes, dobbies, hob-thrusts, fetches, kelpies, warlocks, mock-beggars, mum-pokers, Jemmy-burties, urchins, satyrs, pans, fauns, sirens, tritons, centaurs, calcars, nymphs, imps, incubuses, spoorns, men-in-the-oak, hell-wains, fire-drakes, kit-a-can-sticks, Tom-tumblers, melch-dicks, larrs, kitty-witches, hobby-lanthorns, Dick-a-Tuesdays, Elf-fires, Gyl-burnt-tales, knockers, elves, rawheads, Meg-with-the-wads, old-shocks, ouphs, pad-foots, pixies, pictrees, giants, dwarfs, Tom-pokers, tutgots, snapdragons, sprets, spunks, conjurers, thurses, spurns, tantarrabobs, swaithes, tints, tod-lowries, Jack-in-the-Wads, mormos, changelings, redcaps, yeth-hounds, colt-pixies, Tom-thumbs, black-bugs, boggarts, scar-bugs, shag-foals, hodge-pochers, hob-thrushes, bugs, bull-beggars, bygorns, bolls, caddies, bomen, brags, wraiths, waffs, flay-boggarts, fiends, gallytrots, imps, gytrashes, patches, hob-and-lanthorns, gringes, boguests, bonelesses, Peg-powlers, pucks, fays, kidnappers, gallybeggars, hudskins, nickers, madcaps, trolls, robinets, friars' lanthorns, silkies, cauld-lads, death-hearses, goblins, hob-headlesses, bugaboos, kows, or cowes, nickies, nacks, waiths, miffies, buckies, ghouls, sylphs, guests, swarths, freiths, freits, gy-carlins, pigmies, chittifaces, nixies, Jinny-burnt-tails, dudmen, hell-hounds, dopple-gangers, boggleboes, bogies, redmen, portunes, grants, hobbits, hobgoblins, brown-men, cowies, dunnies, wirrikows, alholdes, mannikins, follets, korreds, lubberkins, cluricauns, kobolds, leprechauns, kors, mares, korreds, puckles, korigans, sylvans, succubuses, blackmen, shadows, banshees, lian-hanshees, clabbernappers, Gabriel-hounds, mawkins, doubles, corpse lights or candles, scrats, mahounds, trows, gnomes, sprites, fates, fiends, sibyls, nicknevins, whitewomen, fairies, thrummy-caps, cutties, and nisses, and apparitions of every shape, make, form, fashion, kind and description, that there was not a village in England that had not its own peculiar ghost. Nay, every lone tenement, castle, or mansion-house, which could boast of any antiquity had its bogle, its spectre, or its knocker. The churches, churchyards, and crossroads were all haunted. Every green lane had its boulder-stone on which an apparition kept watch at night. Every common had its circle of fairies belonging to it. And there was scarcely a shepherd to be met with who had not seen a spirit!"

Spot the famous word,

Ainaurdur

After some brief internet study, I found that "hobbit" (Along with variations in spelling.) was also used as a unit of measurement in Wales during the 1800s.

But this following part brings up something that always bothers me, no matter when or where it happens:
Mr Alloway says scientists have been using the term to describe the species ever since its discovery in 2003.

“It more or less coincided with Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings and archaeologists involved just informally named it the hobbit. From there on in it’s been widely used in the scientific community to describe Homo floresiensis.”
A group of people, maybe a few friends, colleagues, neighborhood, or an entire culture, they take something and randomly start calling it something it is not. Maybe they intended it as slang, or used a word in jest, or wanted to coin a phrase to use as an inside joke.

But then something terrible happens.

Other people outside of the initial group catch onto the word or phrase, and so it begins to spread. Not unlike a cancer. Infecting society.

Specifically in this case, the scientists decided to randomly call the discovery a "hobbit" and for whatever reason it became accepted. I don't think the two match up, and they should not have been so casual with it in the first place. Homo Floresiensis certainly is not a hobgoblin either.

One unrelated incidence of this word cancer that has been bugging me for a couple years is the phrase, "Just saying". If you really were simply stating something, you would let your words speak for themselves, would you not? Sarcastically throwing in a "Just saying!" at the end of your statement more likely reveals alternate motives and intent. Quite disturbing.

Also, I might just be a grumpy old man.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Is this maybe the first we've heard of Hobbit music?? I haven't been paying attention if anything else came out.
Just seems like generic fantasy music to me. The only Hobbit related music we've heard is from the initial trailer and even that won't make it into the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom