• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
That's the closest one to me. A little less than 2 hours.

This one is approximately 40 minutes away from me, which isn't too bad, really. I went to New Jersey to see freakin' Avatar at a slightly longer distance. Bad money spent there :p

I just rather not have to do the long distance travel thing just for a movie 'cause last few times have been bad luck for me.

Cabaratier

Neo Member
Pre-ordered tickets for what I believe to be IMAX HFR 3D. Is that even possible?
The major cinema company here is struggling to get the proper information out but I wanted to make sure I have good seats.

Pre-ordered tickets for what I believe to be IMAX HFR 3D. Is that even possible?
The major cinema company here is struggling to get the proper information out but I wanted to make sure I have good seats.

The IMAX release will be digitally re-mastered into the image and sound quality of An IMAX 3D Experience® with proprietary IMAX DMR® (Digital Re-mastering) technology.

http://www.imax.com/movies/m/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-an-imax-3d-experience/

Cabaratier

Neo Member

International

CineplexX Donau Plex IMAX Vienna - Vienna, AT
Hoyts Carousel & IMAX - Perth, AU
Cinepolis JK Iguatemi Sao Paulo - Sao Paulo, BR
Cinepolis IMAX Theatre - Paris, FR
UA i-Square & IMAX - Hong Kong, CH
United Cinemas Canal City 13 - Fukuoka, JP
109 Cinemas Kawasaki & IMAX – Kawasaki, JP
109 Cinemas Nagoya & IMAX - Nagoya, JP
United Cinemas Sapporo Factory & IMAX - Saporro, JP
109 Cinemas Shonan & IMAX – Shonan, JP
United Cinemas Toshimaen & IMAX – Tokyo, JP
CGV Sangam & IMAX - Seoul, KR
CGV Wangsimni IMAX – Seoul, KR
Pathe Arena & IMAX – Amsterdam, NL
Shaw Theatres Lido & IMAX - Singapore-Orchard Road, SG
Vieshow Banqiao Mega City Mall IMAX – Banqiao, TW
Cineworld Dublin & IMAX - Dublin, IR
ODEON Manchester & IMAX – Manchester, UK
Cineworld Nottingham & IMAX – Nottingham, UK
Cineworld Sheffield & IMAX - Sheffield, UK

Great, thanks

Preordered mine last week for Imax 3D on the 15th. My wife and I really look forward to seeing this. Michigan is lacking in 48 FPS theaters apparently.

I just want to know if its true that the IMAX 3d version has a HFR version as well. I saw that as one of the options at my AMC. Can someone straighten me out on this whole HFR stuff? There's too many options geez.

I really want to see it in IMAX 3d with HFR and Atmos, but that's not gonna happen.

yeah, but they have already stated it: 3D. CGI is the best way to show depth in 3D.

Also, I remember that some of the reactions from the early CG in the 48fps footage they showed at CinemaCon really impressed some people.

It was overwhelming in the most literal sense. It directly assaults your synapses with twice as much information through your retinas as you have become conditioned to expect from traditional cinema. I did not see the digital seams around creatures like Gollum and the trolls, a major benefit over 24fps. The creatures had a sense of mass in the environment, which was disconcerting in a good way.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55212

I just want to know if its true that the IMAX 3d version has a HFR version as well. I saw that as one of the options at my AMC. Can someone straighten me out on this whole HFR stuff? There's too many options geez.

I really want to see it in IMAX 3d with HFR and Atmos, but that's not gonna happen.

List of IMAX theatres that will feature HFR 3D for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Those places will be showing IMAX HFR 3D, but at least where I am they don't know yet which of the screenings will be IMAX HFR 3D and which will be just IMAX 3D.

S1kkZ

fuck. my local cinema will show hobbit in 48 fps (and also the normal 2d version) but i will be in hospital for 3 weeks. damn...

Although this has probably been asked before (forgive me please), is the Imax 3d version also HFR? Because that would be incredible.

Edit: just read the answer a few posts above. Damn Houston!

Platy

WTF was that part about
beard mocap
LOL xD

Dat soundboard. Looks more complex than NASA's control room.

CHXWn.gif

So are the epic cameras used to film the movie real Imax? Or will it be blown up like others? I'm trying to decide if its worth driving 3 hours to Imax 3d hfr or if I should hit up a liemax hfr 3d?

Amir0x

Banned
heh, the only place that has the IMAX HFR 3D shit near me is the King of Prussia theater, which is the same two hour away place that I got into that terrible accident at after we left from seeing Rises.

So are the epic cameras used to film the movie real Imax? Or will it be blown up like others? I'm trying to decide if its worth driving 3 hours to Imax 3d hfr or if I should hit up a liemax hfr 3d?

The IMAX release will be digitally re-mastered into the image and sound quality of An IMAX 3D Experience® with proprietary IMAX DMR® (Digital Re-mastering) technology.

What's the bonus for the HFR?

Q&A ON HFR 3D
by Peter Jackson on Monday, 19 November 2012 at 10:00 ·

QUESTION: Why did you shoot The Hobbit Trilogy using the High Frame Rate (HFR) format?

PETER JACKSON: We live in a rapidly advancing digital age. Technology is being continually developed that can enhance and enrich the cinema-going experience. High Frame Rate shooting for a mainstream feature film has only become viable in the last year or two, and yet we live in an age of increasing home entertainment. I started shooting The Hobbit films in HFR because I wanted film audiences to experience just how remarkably immersive the theatrical cinema experience can be.

QUESTION: What is the history of frame rates and why do you think the time has come to increase them in the theater?

PETER JACKSON: Silent movies were shot at somewhere between 16 and 18 frames per second (fps) with hand-cranked cameras. In 1927, when sound came along, the industry needed to agree on a motor-driven, constant camera speed. 35mm film stock is very expensive, so it needs to be as slow as possible. However, the early optical soundtrack required a minimum speed to achieve fidelity of the sound. 24 fps was decided on, and became the industry standard for over 80 years, with cinemas all around the world installing mechanical projectors only capable of projecting at 24 fps. 24 fps was a commercial decision — the cheapest speed to provide basic quality — but it produces movement artifacts, like strobing, flicker and motion blur.

Now, in the digital age, there’s no reason whatsoever to stick to 24 fps. We didn’t get it perfect in 1927. Science tells us that the human eye stops seeing individual pictures at about 55 fps. Therefore, shooting at 48 fps gives you much more of an illusion of real life. The reduced motion blur on each frame increases sharpness and gives the movie the look of having been shot in 65mm or IMAX. One of the biggest advantages is the fact that your eye is seeing twice the number of images each second, giving the movie a wonderful immersive quality. It makes the 3D experience much more gentle and hugely reduces eyestrain. Much of what makes 3D viewing uncomfortable for some people is the fact that each eye is processing a lot of strobing, blur and flicker. This all but disappears in HFR 3D.

QUESTION: Having shot the film using HFR technology, what are your thoughts on the experience?

PETER JACKSON: I think HFR is terrific. As a filmmaker, I try to make my movies immersive. I want to draw the audience out of their seats, and pull them into the adventure. That is the experience I hope to offer moviegoers no matter which format they choose at the theater. While I personally prefer watching The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in HFR 3D, I can assure you that every format will provide you with an incredible and immersive experience.

HFR 3D is “different” — it won’t feel like the movies you’re used to seeing, in much the same way as the first CDs didn’t sound like vinyl records. We live in an age when cinemas are competing with iPads and home entertainment systems. I think it’s critical that filmmakers employ current technology to increase the immersive, spectacular experience that cinema should provide. It’s an exciting time to be going to the movies.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/peter-jackson/qa-on-hfr-3d/10151299493836558

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I got chills when they started recording Misty Mountains, so good. Looks incredible.

Also, dat soundboard

wrong.gif

I don't like the fact the 48fps is being shown as 3d exclusively. I'd much rather watch the flim without having to wear an extra pair of glasses, but I still really wanna see 48fps.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Goddamn I really want the BD EE set for LotR to warm up for the Hobbit, but I dunno if I can afford it right now >_> I guess the EE DVDs will have to suffice for now..

bengraven

I gotta say I'm kind of bored on disc 1 of TT. Loved rewatching FOTR. But Rohan/Fangorn post Theoden exorcism and pre-Helm's Deep sucks.

Honestly it's been so long since I last watched the theatrical cut that at this point that I think I'm actually starting forget what was excised from it in the first place :)

Thats happening to me. The only theatrical cuts I saw more than once were Fellowship.

Don't even remember what's new sometimes.

Ixion

This page has a link to each different version. Just click one and search by zip.

http://www.fandango.com/movieblog/set-off-on-unexpected-journey-hobbit-tickets-now-on-sale-725341.html

Thanks man. There seems to be an IMAX 3D HFR theater in Manhattan.

I gotta say I'm kind of bored on disc 1 of TT. Loved rewatching FOTR. But Rohan/Fangorn post Theoden exorcism and pre-Helm's Deep sucks.

This is what I've been saying as well. The extended edition of Two Towers drags towards the middle. With the exception of a couple good scenes, I much prefer the theatrical edition overall.

GCX

Seeing big wall sized Hobbit ads inside Helsinki's subways today made me realize how close the this is. Sooo excited.

bengraven

This is what I've been saying as well. The extended edition of Two Towers drags towards the middle. With the exception of a couple good scenes, I much prefer the theatrical edition overall.

Yeah, the only addition I like on the first disc is the scene between Gandalf and Aragorn:

Gandalf: The veiling shadow that glowers in the East takes shape. Sauron will suffer no rival. From the summit of Barad-dur his eye watches ceaselessly. But he is not so mighty yet that he is above fear. Doubt ever gnaws at him. The rumor has reached him. The heir of Numenor still lives. Sauron fears you, Aragorn. He fears what you may become. And so he will strike hard and fast at the world of Men. He will use his puppet Saruman to destroy Rohan. War is coming. Rohan must defend itself, and therein lies our first challenge, for Rohan is weak and ready to fall. The King's mind is inslaved, it's an old device of Saruman's. His hold over King Theoden is now very strong. Sauron and Saruman are tightening the noose. But, for all their cunning, we have one advantage. The Ring remains hidden. And that we should seek to destroy it has not yet entered their darkest dreams. And so the weapon of the Enemy is moving towards Mordor in the hands of a Hobbit. Each day brings it closer to the fires of Mount Doom. We must trust now in Frodo. Everything depends now upon speed and upon the secrecy of his quest. Do not regret your decision to leave him. Frodo must finish this task alone.

Aragorn: He's not alone. Sam went with him.

Gandalf: Did he? Did he indeed? Good. Yes, very good.

teiresias

A group of friends and I have our tickets for a Friday night showing in HFR 3D in Silver Springs. I really hope they all don't hate it and as a result hate me for insisting we see an HFR showing, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom