• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

Edmond Dantès;44616178 said:

GLORIOUS !

SO MUCH SPOILERS !

Here is a spoilerific pic

ZE5d3.jpg

xD

Or a link if anyone want a croped image of a women dwarf drawing

nomis

I think that might include trailers, because the cut is most definitely not 2h51, since it wouldn't be able to run in IMAX theatres with that run time.

I thought the time limit imposed on TDKR was because it was literally on 70mm IMAX film reels. Digitally shot Hobbit projected on IMAX dlp should have no such arbitrary limit(??).

I thought the time limit imposed on TDKR was because it was literally on 70mm IMAX film reels. Digitally shot Hobbit projected on IMAX dlp should have no such arbitrary limit(??).

All real IMAX theatres are still running a film print (converted over from digital). LieMAX theatres are the ones with digital projectors.

The sooner we get those digital laser projectors the better.

nomis

All real IMAX theatres are still running a film print (converted over from digital). LieMAX theatres are the ones with digital projectors.

The sooner we get those digital laser projectors the better.

Hmmm. The IMAX theater in my town is the one I watched Rises and Ghotocol in 70mm at, so I know for sure it isn't lieMAX. But I also saw Skyfall there, and it advertised at the beginning of the show as show that it was laser projection, and I could definitely see pixels in the video.

Man

Didn't know Sherlock would be voicing Smaug. Interesting choice.
Would have imagined an old veteran british actor of some kind.

Lol, they opened up ordering for the midnight release and within minutes the best seats were already taken. Sucks, because I had to wait for confirmation from my group that 3D 48fps was okay, since it was our only option.

Oh well, at least we still got in. We're in the fourth row, which might be a bit close, but hey, we'll be right-smack in the action, I guess. :lol

Lol, they opened up ordering for the midnight release and within minutes the best seats were already taken. Sucks, because I had to wait for confirmation from my group that 3D 48fps was okay, since it was our only option.

Oh well, at least we still got in. We're in the fourth row, which might be a bit close, but hey, we'll be right-smack in the action, I guess. :lol

Man, fourth row from the front in a 3D film is the kind've thing that would have made me go for the next session. Ghosting-central when you're looking at the screen at an angle.

Edmond Dantès;44627259 said:
"It quickly became apparent that this Gandalf wasn't quite the same character as before,"

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/the-hobbit/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503305&objectid=10848814

Interesting. I hope he isn't too different to the Gandalf we thought we knew.

But we really didn't see much of Gandalf the Grey in the LOTR trilogy, compared to the superior model.

It sounds more like another side of the character is shown in this film. He seems to be mostly referring to his negotiations with the White Council, where he's a peer to those he's advising instead of an leader?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It sounds more like another side of the character is shown in this film. He seems to be mostly referring to his negotiations with the White Council, where he's a peer to those he's advising instead of an leader?
Yes, that would certainly be the case.

On the topic of the WETA artbook, the final shot of the film is illustrated in there and it's reminiscent of the end of
The Fellowship of the Ring.
Cleverly done as well considering that part of the novel.

Bentendo

Okay, as someone who never read the Hobbit... are there Ents in the book? If not, what are the chances of them appearing in the movie, since the movies will venture outside the book? Sorry, I just freaking love Treebeard and I need more of him.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Okay, as someone who never read the Hobbit... are there Ents in the book? If not, what are the chances of them appearing in the movie, since the movies will venture outside the book? Sorry, I just freaking love Treebeard and I need more of him.

I don't think they'll be in the movie at all. They weren't in the book at all. Maybe they can make a cameo at Saruman's tower but I doubt it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
No Ents in the novel I'm afraid. A cameo is certainly possible in the Hobbit trilogy, but still unlikely.

Chris R

So HFR is the term they are going to use for 48fps? No idea if the general public will go for that (I actually saw a featurette before Skyfall talking about The Hobbit and it mentioned that the film was filmed using a controversial technique... way to turn people off the film before they even get a chance to decide for themselves!)

kingocfs

So HFR is the term they are going to use for 48fps? No idea if the general public will go for that (I actually saw a featurette before Skyfall talking about The Hobbit and it mentioned that the film was filmed using a controversial technique... way to turn people off the film before they even get a chance to decide for themselves!)

I think it will take some time for word of mouth to spread about it after it comes out. None of the commercials that I've seen have mentioned it at all.

Edmond Dantès;44631390 said:
Simon Tolkien on The Lord of the Rings trilogy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCEqQV5eIjk

Fair comments I must say, certainly not as disparaging as Christopher Tolkien.

I don't see why they all can't simply see the films and the literature as separate entities without spitting so much vitriol. It seems from this interview they are receiving money from them regardless.

Chris R

I think it will take some time for word of mouth to spread about it after it comes out. None of the commercials that I've seen have mentioned it at all.
While they don't mention 48fps by name each commercial I've seen has HFR listed before imax.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Spoiler filled interview with Sir Ian

''We see Gandalf observing this little boy who's full of beans and full of adventure. And I let him play with a toy dragon that I've got.

''And when he's thinking, 'Who should we get? Oh, there's that little boy'. And he goes back to Hobbiton to meet this little boy who's now grown up and is a real stodgy, dull, settled, unadventurous person. And he's so disappointed. 'What happened to you? Come on! You've got to go on an adventure, it'll be good for you. Get back your childish enthusiasm!''

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/7985801/Sir-Ian-on-Gandalfs-return

Confirms something in the WETA artbook.
We'll be seeing Bilbo as a child and why Gandalf chose him.

Edmond Dantès;44642591 said:
Spoiler filled interview with Sir Ian

''We see Gandalf observing this little boy who's full of beans and full of adventure. And I let him play with a toy dragon that I've got.

''And when he's thinking, 'Who should we get? Oh, there's that little boy'. And he goes back to Hobbiton to meet this little boy who's now grown up and is a real stodgy, dull, settled, unadventurous person. And he's so disappointed. 'What happened to you? Come on! You've got to go on an adventure, it'll be good for you. Get back your childish enthusiasm!''

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/7985801/Sir-Ian-on-Gandalfs-return

Confirms something in the WETA artbook.
We'll be seeing Bilbo as a child and why Gandalf chose him.

I guess this ties in with the 'different' Gandalf we'll be seeing... it would be nice to see Gandalf as a more adventurous elderly Wizard with a humorous side. Apart from the opening of the Fellowship of the Ring, the character was largely a stoic and serious one, as if carrying the burden of the world on his shoulders.

And, of course, I like the fact that we'll be seeing a younger Bilbo. Adds more clarity to why Gandalf may be drawn to him.

jambo

What's the fully story behind this whole thing, is it just rumor that animals had been injured or killed?

From memory either a stable hand or horse handler spoke to a New Zealand newspaper about some animal deaths and they wrote an article about it.

Then Peter Jackson and co came out and denied/clarified the situation.

Edmond Dantès probably has more concrete details.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just got confirmation that I have to go to my local cinema 2th December in order to get my midnight launch tickets :_: FUCK.

Ixion

So how can I pre-order tickets and make sure I'm seeing it in HFR 3D? I see the two theaters in Times Square are supposed to have HFR (I live near the city).

I apologize if you guys already talked about this.

Post-production work on The Hobbit was completed only yesterday in Wellington. This guy is a Creature Assistant Technical Director at Weta.

JasonCampbell ‏@JasonCampbell

Wrapped on The Hobbit today. Premiere in five days, cast and crew screening in seven. Proud to have been even a small part of it.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
I didn't think I'd get to see the 48fps version, here in Portland Maine, but there is actually a 3D IMAX in the area that is showing it in 48fps. Really excited!

Kud Dukan

Edmond Dantès;44667554 said:
Truly.

We'll probably have an indication of how good the movie is this time next week, someone is bound to break the embargo.

Definitely. At the very least we will start hearing rumbling about the quality of the film. Even though everything I've seen makes me very confident that I will love the film, I'm still anxiously awaiting some reviews.

Edmond Dantès;44667554 said:
Truly.

We'll probably have an indication of how good the movie is this time next week, someone is bound to break the embargo.

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything already. Even back with ROTK, Newsweek published their thoughts on it from an early screening 7 days before the premiere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom