• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB1981

I know this is mostly a Hobbit fan thread but I am shocked by how poor this movie looks in the ads on television. A few ads played during football on Thanksgiving and everybody watching was in agreement that the movie does not look good at all, and most of us didn't even understand why the movie was being made. The consensus was "oh ANOTHER one of these movies??"

I know this is mostly a Hobbit fan thread but I am shocked by how poor this movie looks in the ads on television. A few ads played during football on Thanksgiving and everybody watching was in agreement that the movie does not look good at all, and most of us didn't even understand why the movie was being made. The consensus was "oh ANOTHER one of these movies??"

God forbid such an obscure book like Hobbit gets a film ;).
I know it being a trilogy can be questionable by people

And I can't sign the opinion the movie looking bad.

Ixion

The main problem is that people don't know the point of these movies. After all, it's essentially just a group going to reclaim treasure.

If The Hobbit was more about the
rise of Sauron
, sort of like the Star Wars prequels, then people would more easily get the point.

Even if you despised the Lord of the Rings movies, it doesn't take much thought to understand why a movie was made based on the hugely popular prequel book to the hugely popular multibillion dollar movie franchise.

Won

First time I preordered a ticket for a movie weeks in advance. Mostly because there probably will be only one undubbed HFR 3D showing in town. I hope it's worth it!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
hobbjap.jpg

Well, you can never please everyone. I remember that there were also some negative comments for the LOTR movies too, since for the mainstream crowd these films were their first time with the epic fantasy genre. Many friends of mine walked into the cinema expecting a Harry Potter-like film, needless to say they were shocked by the Orc scenes. :D

Everyone you know is not very smart then.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Less than three to go until the film hits theaters.

Time to start work on the OT me thinks.

I wonder how many people will be
Biblio Boggined
in the first few pages.

kharma45

Edmond Dantès;44772563 said:
Odeon confirm HFR 3D locations

http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/film_info/m100473/The_Hobbit_An_Unexpected_Journey_HFR_3D/

And HFR IMAX 3D locations

http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/film_info/m100480/The_Hobbit_An_Unexpected_Journey_HFR_IMAX_3D/

Guess, I'll be seeing three performances in 5 days; BFI Imax on Saturday a HFR 3D performance on Sunday and the London premiere before the weekend. If all goes according to plan that is.

FFS :( the manager of the Odeon in Belfast said they'd be showing it in 48fps :(

Premiere is on Wednesday. So tomorrow night we should have first impressions.

Press screening was last night but nothing got leaked from that apart from one Spanish reporter who then deleted his tweets a few hours later. Embargo lifts on Dec 3rd but yeah there will be lots on non press people at the premiere who are bound to talk after.

Mad_Ban

http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/film_info/m100473/The_Hobbit_An_Unexpected_Journey_HFR_3D/

http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/film_info/m100480/The_Hobbit_An_Unexpected_Journey_HFR_IMAX_3D/

Guess, I'll be seeing three performances in 5 days; BFI Imax on Saturday a HFR 3D performance on Sunday and the London premiere before the weekend. If all goes according to plan that is.

Yessssss. :D

My local Odeon, Eagles Meadow, is doing the HFR showing :) I'd resigned myself to "only" seeing it in 3D 24fps, but now I'm just happy!

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Here we are, a few weeks away from a revisit to the world once introduced to me in what I believe to be the most endearing film. I honestly have no clue how I will react, should the fateful day arrive.

Chili

So two locations are showing it in IMAX HFR 3D and both in Manchester? Hmm - this better not be a finalised list. Have to say, BFI IMAX has been terrible since Odeon took over concessions and ticket sales. They would have sorted this out long ago.

suedester

Banned

I can't decide whether to see it in IMAX 3D or HFR 3D. This is all getting ridiculously complicated. What do people think. IMAX or 48fps?

Chili

I can't decide whether to see it in IMAX 3D or HFR 3D. This is all getting ridiculously complicated. What do people think. IMAX or 48fps?

The second link implies that there are cinemas showing it in IMAX format and at 48fps so you don't have to make the choice. I haven't been keeping up with it but I did not know such a format was being released but now I must see it in that.

The second link implies that there are cinemas showing it in IMAX format and at 48fps so you don't have to make the choice. I haven't been keeping up with it but I did not know such a format was being released but now I must see it in that.

Real IMAX cinemas can't play 48fps. They are LieMAX cinemas.

suedester

Banned
48fps.

Movie wasn't shot for IMAX. Movie was shot for 48fps projection.

The choice is simple.

Yes, you possibly have a point although I'd be surprised if it wasn't shot with IMAX HFR in mind.

Unfortunately Manchester is a 6 hour round journey. I do love The Hobbit but I'm not quite that fanatical!

-griffy-

Banned
Ah, I see. Thanks. Guess I'll find somewhere to watch it in HFR 3D then. If I like it enough then I might go check it out in IMAX as well just to compare :)

Edit: Just to confirm, are you saying these showings are likely LieMAX?

It's not likely, it's fact. It's not possible for a true, 70mm IMAX to show 48fps film for numerous reasons. The film can't go through the projector fast enough, and the amount of film needed for a 3 hour movie at 48fps exceeds the amount an IMAX film reel can hold. The only 48fps showings will be with digital projectors which inherently means it won't and can't be true 70mm IMAX.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
When are we expected to hear the first reactions? Im petrified D:

Ah, I see. Thanks. Guess I'll find somewhere to watch it in HFR 3D then. If I like it enough then I might go check it out in IMAX as well just to compare :)

Edit: Just to confirm, are you saying these showings are likely LieMAX?

Not likely LieMAX. Definitely LieMAX. Only digital projectors can project the HFR versions of the film and there are no Digital IMAX theatres outside of the LieMAX theatres. Not until they get that fancy Laser-projection system working.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Would it change your mind to hear others opinions on something? I would rather go in as unbiased and slanted as possible. Tempering the hype.

Ill be honest id be much calmer if i heard good news, im at a point where im too scared to get hyped for the film, the footage hasnt struck a chord, PJ hasnt had much luck since LOTR and they were such good films. Im really looking for reasons to be optimistic :[

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Ill be honest id be much calmer if i heard good news, im at a point where im too scared to get hyped for the film, the footage hasnt struck a chord, PJ hasnt had much luck since LOTR and they were such good films. Im really looking for reasons to be optimistic :[
I don't think we'll be disappointed Mr Cola.

Mr Cola

Edmond Dantès;44776384 said:
I don't think we'll be disappointed Mr Cola.

Im going in regardless..probably 6 or 7 times if the music is good, nothing compares to lotr music boomed in a cinema.

+ we get it early, huzzah!

Fucking Australia has to wait till the 26th of Dec. My tickets have been booked for weeks for the fist session of the first day at 11am. My only worry is that it's boxing day and families will be bringing all their kids to the cinema.

QUIET CHILDREN!

Mr Cola

interesting PJ does not rule out coming back to Middle earth in that radio interview :O, though he says the estate would make it very hard

A little teaser of what it feels like to sit down to watch and The Hobbit, just in case you're not hyped enough yet. :p

http://a.yfrog.com/img707/466/pl6xsmkjfxcqqdhklkaqyi.mp4

Well Liverpool Odeon isn't on either list.....sigh. Very disappointed.

No way I'm going all the way into Manchester to catch it in HFR. It amazes me too that they've invested in the technology in the Blackpool one of all places! Blackpool??

Well Liverpool Odeon isn't on either list.....sigh. Very disappointed.

No way I'm going all the way into Manchester to catch it in HFR. It amazes me too that they've invested in the technology in the Blackpool one of all places! Blackpool??

It's not much technology, only requires a firmware update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom