• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I was mistaken! They have HFR in Biorex Hämeenlinna and Porvoo (my local) too!

11.12 midnight :D.

Edit: I don't get it. How can there be that early showings if ''official'' release date is 14.12 but it's showing 12.12 everywhere over here. Well can't complain that we get it a lil early :D.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Hobbit was almost filmed in Britain

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...lmost-filmed-in-Britain-director-reveals.html

Well, Middle-earth was Europe in Tolkien's eyes and The Shire; his beloved Oxfordshire.

The Scottish Highlands would have been perfect as well.

scottish_highlands.jpg

117415138_HQKwb-L.jpg

90845849_WtN4n-L.jpg

scottish-highlands-house.jpeg

Glencoe.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The run-up to the premiere starts at 4:30pm New Zealand time with the Red Carpet stuff etc. The film will probably start at 6:30pm. That means late night Tuesday/early morning Wednesday in Europe and Tuesday evening for the US. Impressions should follow from then on.

There will be a live stream of the Red Carpet event.

Ixion

So let me get this straight...

If a theater is showing this in HFR IMAX 3D, then that's a lie? It's not really in IMAX?

So the best thing to do would be to watch it in just HFR 3D?

Bonnie Alba ‏@bonniealba

Just saw a test reel for The Hobbit 3D in 48 fps. Oh. My. God. You guys have no idea what you are in for. #TheHobbit

LA Times has a story today on the higher frame rate. WB seem pleased with the test reel and some theater owners were disappointed they weren't getting more HFR runs, so hopefully a good sign that they think audiences will like it.

Rootbeer

Banned

If a theater is showing this in HFR IMAX 3D, then that's a lie? It's not really in IMAX?

All HFR showings of the Hobbit are 3D, so just look for the HFR. If you can, try to find a theater that has both HFR and Dolby Atmos sound, the ones that do tend to be pretty up-front about it.

As for IMAX, well, it's *probably* a "liemax" or "mini imax" screen which is digital imax and is smaller. There is no way for a traditional imax projector, required for full imax resolution, to do HFR and 3D. HFR is digital-only and it is unlikely at this point they'd ever backport that tech to film. IMAX is a film technology. IMAX HFR is probably preferable to ordinary HFR... but who's to say. There's also things like AMC's "ETX" screens which are similar to "mini imax" but I don't know what the spec comparisions are like.

Personally I am going to see it in IMAX HFR 3D. The theater I chose has a full-size imax and I believe what they are doing is swapping in a digital projector and using it on the full-size imax screen... either that or they are adding a 2nd imax screen... i haven't figured out yet.

All-in-all it is a rather strange situation since usually if you wanted the very best experience it's an easy choice: just go to your local full-size imax. But now that we have HFR as an option it is muddling things a lot.

-griffy-

Banned

It's not really IMAX in the same way that all those IMAX branded screens at AMC theaters aren't really IMAX, they are IMAX branded digitally projected screens. They aren't as large as a true IMAX (the one real IMAX in Minnesota has a 6 story tall screen), they aren't the true IMAX aspect ratio (they are traditional widescreen screens, 16x9 or 2.35:1, compared to IMAX film's more square 1.43:1) and they don't use real, 70mm IMAX film as they are digitally projected.

Now, it seems some real IMAX theaters have two projectors, the true IMAX film projector and a second digital projector. The Hobbit would still be on the digital projector instead, would still be widesreen and not fill the hole IMAX screen.

So The Hobbit won't be on IMAX film, anywhere, period. But it may be shown at IMAX theaters.

Now, none of this means you should avoid an HFR IMAX 3D showing, as those "fake" IMAX screens are still fantastic screens, in most cases the best screens at their respective theaters. IMAX has just created this weird confusion by lending their branding to other screens.

Edmond Dantès;44804648 said:
Big screen fantasy after Lord of the Rings

Has for the most part been entirely disappointing.

I really thought LOTR would usher in a new era of sword-and-scorcery flicks, but instead all the imitators did was to adapt dopey books and give them an LOTR look.

Chili

Only 2 cinemas are in 48FPS in London? And they are in Leicester Square, where the sound system is awful?? :-(

Apparently the Empire Leicester Square has Dolby Atmos (Screen 1). It's looking like that might be the best place to see this in London.

Retro

Edmond Dantès;44804648 said:
Big screen fantasy after Lord of the Rings

In hindsight, it really has been disappointing how little good fantasy has come of LotR's success. I think in the rush to capitalize on the new-found Fantasy craze, a lot of terrible material was adapted that never should have (Golden Compass, Eragon, etc.). It was like Hollywood suddenly greenlit anything resembling fantasy.

I guess it was too much to expect for us to get stuff like Legend or Conan the Barbarian. Maybe get a Princess Bride or Neverending Story in there. Hell, even a Krull would have been acceptable. I would have settled for a Ladyhawke even, minus the soundtrack, of course.

Narnia has been decent, maybe I am more forgiving of those since I was a fan of them as a kid.

On the subject of books we liked as kids being made into movies, I am shocked Diane Duane's Wizard series didn't get picked up considering it pre-dated the Potter craze and actually had a cool psuedo-science approach to magic.

And I still hold out hope that someone will make a respectable effort at an adaptation of Gordon Dickson's Dragon Knight series. Never gonna happen though.

Daft_Cat

In hindsight, it really has been disappointing how little good fantasy has come of LotR's success. I think in the rush to capitalize on the new-found Fantasy craze, a lot of terrible material was adapted that never should have (Golden Compass, Eragon, etc.). .

His Dark Materials is garbage? Heard nothing but wide-reaching praise for that series, and I particularly enjoyed them myself, as well. I attended a talk about the film adaptation with the director at my school a few weeks back, and the shitty adaptation was mostly the result of studio interference/fear of what the response to some of the themes were going to be. It's got nothing to do with shitty source material.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Well, any lingering doubts I had about Ian being able recapture the brilliance of his LOTR Gandalf have been firmly squashed. Memories of Gandalf and Frodo's conversation in Moria come flashing back while watching that clip.

Moaradin

Edmond Dantès;44808650 said:
For people who haven't read The Hobbit, it is very spoilerish.

Going in this fresh. I didn't read LOTR until after the films, and I'm probably going to do the same for The Hobbit. But man that short clip reminded me why I loved LOTR so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom